Lore mentioned that class tuning hotfixes are coming soon, including for Hunters!
Legion Developer Q&A - Paul Kubit
Paul Kubit talked about Brawlers’ Guild, Micro-Holidays, Timewalking, and Professions today! The next Q&A isn't scheduled yet, but may be in February.
- The crafted gear has a limited duration. As more content is added to the game, higher item level loot is added elsewhere.
- Obliterum upgrades help to keep crafted gear relevant.
- Crafted gear is still on the radar, so in future patches the team will try to keep adding things.
- Patch 7.1.5 added some things for Engineering and other professions, new armor may be coming in a future patch.
- Patch 7.2 and beyond will add new recipes to primary and secondary professions.
- Bosses are set to a fairly static difficulty, increasing as you progress through.
- Early bosses should be approachable for most players, with fights becoming more challenging later on.
- Boss health adjustments based on spec is not something the team did this time. It might diminish the accomplishment of beating the boss.
- The team thought about ways they could bring healers into the Brawler's Guild, so maybe they could do something in the future, but the Brawler's Guild is about fighting!
- There aren't any plans to add additional bosses in this expansion, but it isn't out of the question.
- Almost every idea makes it into Brawler's Guild.
- A Mario themed fight was started and never finished, as was a Mega Man fight.
- The team is talking about increasing the item level on Timewalking gear.
- Scholomance probably won't make it to Mists of Pandaria timewalking. MoP timewalking is about the dungeons found in Pandaria.
- In the future the team might be able to do Vanilla timewalking, but there are no plans to do it right now.
- The Vanilla dungeons don't hold up to current dungeon design standards, which is why they didn't start with Vanilla timewalking. They don't feel challenging and aren't tuned for max-level players.
- Timewalking is designed to cover content from two expansions ago and earlier.
- Timewalking raids are probably coming at some point. It is a safe bet.
- The new engineering goggles are the highest tier crafted items right now.
- The goggles are more powerful, so they take more to craft and have random stats.
- You can farm or buy Hardened Felglass.
- The googles are BoE, so you can sell them to someone else if you don't get the stats you want.
- The cost of gathered materials comes from the time it takes to collect them.
- Materials are more expensive in this expansion because you actually have to go and gather, rather than using your garrison.
- Professions can change a lot between expansions, it is a place to experiment.
- Talent tomes cost a little bit too much right now. This is largely due to the cost of the materials that goes into them.
- In the near future the team will look at ways to adjust costs of things that are too expensive, including talent tomes.
- The cost of unlocking the forge worked out pretty well.
- Players had to interact with each other to make the armor pieces to unlock the forge.
- It is very likely that the cost of unlocking the forge will be reduced in a future patch.
Crafting Material Costs
- Making skinnable mobs multi-tap is still something the team wants to do.
- The team has been cracking down on bots, which also contributes to the cost increase of gathered materials.
- Taking raw materials and using them to make something doesn't have much of a time commitment for the most part, so the profit margins are slim.
- The rewards from these holidays aren't really collectable items because of their short duration.
- Extra experience from a leveling micro-holiday is a cool idea.
- Call of the Scarab is a region wide faction competition, not realm-wide. It also rewards a good amount of experience.
Rank 3 Recipes
- As the team was building out Legion professions, they wanted to have content for all of them.
- For all of the primary professions, it ended up being quest lines.
- For the secondary professions, the team didn't want to overwhelm you with quest lines.
- Archaeology got a time gated quest line, Fishing got an Artifact fishing pole, First Aid got items that drop out in the world.
- Cooking had a progression in Warlords with work orders. Cooking felt like a way that the team could flavorfuly incorporate work orders.
- The randomness with Nomi is probably a little bit too random. You can give him a certain material and he will give you recipes that use that material.
- Nomi is learning, with every patch he becomes more efficient. In Patch 7.1.5 the chance to get recipes has gone up significantly.
- When the team was designing the profession recipes system, it was a blank slate.
- The rarity of recipes could be anything from a guaranteed drop to super rare. The team started by making them rare, as it is easier to make them more common in the future if needed.
- The Rank 3 shoulder recipes were added to a fairly challenging part of the game, making them more rare.
- It isn't breaking the game to have some RNG on the Rank 3 recipes, you can still make the items.
- In the case where it does feel bad, such as gathering, adjustments can be made.
- There isn't a lot of profit margin in crafting, but having the Rank 3 recipes help to give players a little more profit.
- The team can increase the chance to get the Rank 3 recipes at the end of the expansion.
- There isn't as much of a reason to go on an endless grind now with how archaeology works. This was intentional.
- There are less projects you can solve so that you don't get down to the last one and feel like it takes forever to get.
- There are plans to make archaeology better in Patch 7.2!
Profession Dungeon Requirements
- Patch 7.2 should be coming to the PTR pretty soon.
- While the team was building the profession quest lines they leaned on dungeons because they could scale. At this point in development the world scaling tech didn't exist.
- Removing dungeon requirements for professions isn't going to happen, but it could probably be less dungeon heavy in the future.
Random Secondary Stats
- The team talks about making gathering professions separate each expansion, but it hasn't happened yet.
- They could add a third profession slot that is gathering only.
- Some of the people asking for another profession slot just want something new, but don't want to get rid of their existing professions.
Artifacts and Weapon Crafting
- There won't be an item to allow players to reroll secondary stats on crafted items.
- If you want different stats, make another item.
- This was taken into account when setting costs for crafting items, so they are a little bit cheaper.
- With Artifacts, professions that could craft weapons in the past no longer had this choice.
- The team tried to replace these weapon choices with crafted relics. It didn't completely fill the fantasy of a weaponsmith.
- The team will look at the quality of the crafted relics and maybe add some more crafted things.
- Separating Timewalking from the other events is something not planned right now.
- The team might remove less relevant events in the future.
- Keeping Timewalking rare helps to make it special.
- Maybe there will be a New Year's Eve micro-holiday in the future, but it doesn't feel like the other micro-holidays.
- Right now the micro-holidays that are being added are Azerothian holidays rather than analogues to real world holidays.
- Reaves having a bank access is something the team looked at. It was considered for Patch 7.1.5 but didn't get put in.
- The team wants to save some things for later. If Reaves is the best thing right away there would be nothing left to add.