MMO-Champion - Cataclysm Interface Part 1, Blue Posts
Cataclysm Interface Changes - Part 1
Cataclysm is still in early beta but a lot of interface changes are already implemented in the game. This post is the first of a 3-part preview of the interface changes in Cataclysm, today I will just stick to the general interface.

Spellbook
The Spellbook has been fully revamped, it looks nicer and has a couple of extra features.
  • Professions now have their own tab.
  • All spells and their training level are now displayed in the book.
  • Spells that you can train immediately are now highlighted.


Character Panel
The character panel now display all your stats on the right side, you can minimize tabs that you never use and check all your relevant stats quickly.


Talent Frame
The talent frame has been updated, all 3 trees are now on the same pages and masteries are now supported.


Trainers
Class and Profession trainers have a new interface, I'm not really sure it's more useful than the old one but it's nicer.


PvP Panel
The PvP Panel is still in early beta, it looks slightly nicer and the first signs of rated battlegrounds support are here.


Professions - Filters
Professions finally have built-in filters, nothing fancy but you will finally have a way to sort your huge list of recipes.


Minimap / Multi-tracking
Last but not least, the Minimap now allow you to track multiple things at once! Hurray!



PrintWarcraft - Original Art Posters Now Available
[blizzquote author=Blizzard source=http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/index.xml]PrintWarcraft.com now offers a variety of World of Warcraft artwork as high-quality poster prints. You can choose from favorites including art from past content updates, a Cataclysm piece featuring Deathwing, and more. Also available will be two brand-new posters never before seen --Troll Propaganda and Operation: Gnomeregan. These full size 24” x 36” posters are available at $19.95 and can be ordered now at PrintWarcraft.com[/blizzquote]


Blue posts
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Next wave of Beta invitations
We hope to distribute additional invites to the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm beta sometime this week, possibly as soon as late Tuesday or Wednesday. This is only an estimate, though, so the schedule may change and, as a result, invites could be distributed earlier or later than anticipated. Either way, we'll work to keep you as updated as possible. (Source)

World changes in Cataclysm - "Old" zones lost forever
If there's one lesson I've been struggling with a lot recently, it's that rejecting the nature of change can be damaging. Granted, the trials to which I'm referring aren't related to video games, though they still apply universally. Sure, places will change, new questlines will replace many old ones, and Azeroth will never look quite the same again. There are, however, new places of beauty, new adventures to be had, and new struggles to overcome in the wake of change. A brand new player joining us in Cataclysm won't know quite what it was like to level prior to Deathwing's return, but they'll get to experience all of the new wonders of the world, not to mention a design that's become more definitive and polished over the years.

[...] Trust me, I understand the sentiment. We have no current plans though for preserving elsewhere the areas being changed. The story is evolving. To complement this, so is Azeroth as we know it. For current players, there will still be a good sense of familiarity in so many places within the old world. (Source)

Classes
Block Chance
Your block chance won't be 5%. That's too low. It will probably be something like 30%, but we haven't figured out yet where to provide that 30%. It is likely to be a warrior / paladin only thing or even a Prot / Prot passive. (Source)

Max out the Mastery Bonus
Furthermore, there should be no way to max out mastery. It's only just possible to max out things like crit and haste today because of A) overly generous talents, and B) ratings that were never designed for current item levels. We've already built the theoretical Deathwing gear, so we can make sure the numbers are more appropriate. (Source)

Hybrid/Multi-Tree Specs
Whenever a popular hybrid spec comes up, it's usually because of some sneaky build that is broken for PvP by snaking down to pick up key talents in two trees. It's not because the player really wants to play as say two specs -- they are just cherry picking the talents. Since those builds almost always feel broken (as in breaking the rules) we don't want to design around them. (Source)

Abilities in new Talent Trees
They aren't all abilities. Most of the trees have say 4 or so active abilities in addition to the one at level 10. This is pretty consistent with live (an 11, 21, 31, 41 and 51 "clicky" ability).

The first couple of tiers have mostly simple talents. This is because you just don't have a lot of abilities at level 10, rotations are simple, stuff tends to die fast, and we don't want to overwhelm new players (including experienced players trying a new class). We also have to provide a lot of sub-spec potential in these trees.

Beyond that, things start to get more interesting and you see the talents that do procs or mechanic changes. There are more 1 point talents now, typically those that give raid buffs. (Source)

GCD Locked
We consider being GCD locked a bad thing. It doesn't give you any room in your rotation to say click a potion or respond to a proc or do something out of the ordinary. It leads to tunnel vision. (Source)

Druid (Forums / 3.3.5 Talent Calculator / Cataclysm Talent Calculator)
Regrowth
We want Regrowth to feel like the flash heal. It will need to change a little to fit in that model (more up front and less hot perhaps) but it doesn't also need to feel exactly like Flash Heal to do the job. (Source)

Paladin (Forums / 3.3.5 Talent Calculator)
Holy Paladins in Cataclysm
Holy paladins are changing in Cataclysm probably more than you realize. (Source)

Warrior (Forums / 3.3.5 Talent Calculator)
Mortal Strike as Fury/Protection
Correct. It is impossible for Fury or Protection to ever have Mortal Strike. (Source)

Dual-Wield
Only Fury warriors will dual-wield in Cataclysm. The Arms tree is completely built around using a two-handed weapon and the Prot tree is completely built around using a shield. There is no reason to dual-wield in those trees. (Source)

Critical Block
We haven't done much with Critical Block as mastery yet because the level cap on the beta is so low and raid content isn't available to publicly test yet. As we get closer we'll put some better numbers on it. (Source)

Fan Art
A new fan art has been added to the official fan art gallery..

This article was originally published in forum thread: Cataclysm Interface Part 1, Blue Posts started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 154 Comments
  1. Xayla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn View Post
    Wow! This is very cool to see. I already saw some of the changes to the spell books from TotalBiscuit's videos, but it's great to see more of what is being changed.

    I was surprised to see this update appear on the front page while browsing. You kinda ninjaed it out there on us, Boub.
    News Happened
  1. dadou131988's Avatar
    Looks awesome, the interface did indeed need improving...

    Now if they could just add a book of lore that records your accomplishments withing the zones and instances...
    Would depend on the quests you did and everything...
  1. Alayea's Avatar
    Spellbook UI: I'm loving it! The profession tab as it currently stands is rather meh.

    Character & Talent tree: Yay!

    Tracking: Really hoping this goes live, as I am tired of flying over herbs while fishing.

    Class & Profession Trainers: Sorry, they don't look "nicer"; I prefer compactness.

    PvP: Haven't seriously played PvP since TBC, so no opinion here.

    Profession filters: I'm keeping my fingers crossed here that this doesn't live without some changes because judging from the preview alone, it looks too bloated (aka taking up too much space).


    By the way, is anyone else scratching their heads over the blue post regarding Regrowth? It sounds a bit circular to me. :/
  1. Shiggity's Avatar
    multi-mini map selectibility is the only good thing

    higher quality raid content > shiny polish

    /2cents
  1. Stickishere's Avatar
    So will I be able to track HERBS and MINING?
  1. deathtakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wildi View Post
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Hybrid/Multi-Tree Specs
    Whenever a popular hybrid spec comes up, it's usually because of some sneaky build that is broken for PvP by snaking down to pick up key talents in two trees.
    your solution is horrible. Forcing everyone to put 31 points into the same tree is stupid, killing hybrid builds because someone someday may come up with something unique is stupid. Multi tree spec are fine.
    Dude you need to get your head out of your ass. Forcing people to go 31 points into a tree may be a little "restricting" however it will make it a whole lot easier for blizzard to balance specs making for more balanced game play. If your class currently relies on a cookie cutter hybrid spec to do anything it will be fixed and talents will be allotted to specific specs to make them viable for the role blizz wants them to play. I'd much rather have balance than the option for some people to feel like special little butterflies.
  1. Kooshkrusher's Avatar
    Anyone else notice that arenas look like they won't be playable till 85? No more level 70 and 80 arena twinks.
  1. stupid11's Avatar
    I like all these changes. Looks good.

    The spellbook was really stagnant tbh, I hate it.
  1. Nesingwary-Eliada's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post
    Hey, so real quick...who was the end boss for BC? How about for WotLK?

    ...Yeah. Your argument is completely invalid. The main antagonist revealed from the get-go of the expansions is going to be the end boss for that expansion.
    Should have thought that one out a little harder. Your counter argument is completely and utterly invalid due to the above bolded portions.
  1. LethalGT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    This just in, the final boss to Cataclysm is Deathwing, alert the presses.

    /eyeroll
    So true... lol
  1. Nesingwary-Eliada's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post
    You're the troll if you're trying to peg Hallion as the last boss of WotLK. Lore-wise, it's a battle leading up to the events that trigger Cataclysm. Has nothing to do with WotLK.

    And going by your reasoning, Zul'jin is actually the last boss in BC.

    We're talking lore-wise, the main plot of the expansions ended with these bosses. Anything afterwards are events leading up to the next expansion.
    So you're saying BC ended with Black Temple? And that all the Burning Legion/Kael'thas/Kil'Jaeden lore in Sunwell Plateau was leading up to Arthas, The Scourge, and WotLK on a whole? Furthermore, you're counter to the Halion argument is that it's TBC equivalent is Zul'Aman?

    Now I can agree Halion is not WotLK content but... wow... the Zul'jin argument is just awful considering he was followed by 2.4. Simply put, Illidan was pegged as the main antagonist of BC and he was NOT. Arthas most certainly did carry through to the very end but that was clearly not the case with BC. And it might not be the case with Deathwing either... just saying.
  1. Dark Side's Avatar
    the interface looks so.....clean!
  1. Kiro's Avatar
    They just really need to show off these new talent trees already. Even if they showed off a few that were more done than others, though GC said they're done. This will put an end to this debate already. I don't know why these guys are so slow at getting info out there. It's not "pacing" themselves either, as it's all randomly spoken about at times.

    I don't know why it's so hard for Blizzard to: Release content/info in a timely manner, change their "maint day" downtime to 2pst here in the states considering for almost three months straight maint had to be extended. And to live up to their promises, you know, the major advertising bulletpoint: "New Dances".

    I want my new dances already. Seriously, I don't know why they overlook animations of character models so much. Freshening them up could make the game feel new. And by them going back and redoing all the old content, I'd think that old content such as the characters would fall into that as well. Guess not. We get Foxes (ultra cute though).
  1. Ikkatsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post
    You're the troll if you're trying to peg Hallion as the last boss of WotLK. Lore-wise, it's a battle leading up to the events that trigger Cataclysm. Has nothing to do with WotLK.

    And going by your reasoning, Zul'jin is actually the last boss in BC.

    We're talking lore-wise, the main plot of the expansions ended with these bosses. Anything afterwards are events leading up to the next expansion.
    So Zul'jin was a prequal to WoTLK?

    Yeah... didn't think so.

    It is still entirely possible for there to be another LORE boss AFTER Deathwing (just like Kil'Jaeden after Illidan).
  1. TobiasX's Avatar
    Illidan Stormrage was the final boss of The Burning Crusade. Kil'jaeden was just a mess that needed cleaning up afterwards.
    The Lich King was the final boss of Wrath of the Lich King.
    Deathwing will be the final boss of Cataclysm. Halion was the crossovereque boss between expansions.
  1. Kotiria's Avatar
    I'm curious as to why they say they want Regrowth to be our Flash Heal, but we have Nourish?
    Is Nourish considered its own type of spell sort of?
  1. Nesingwary-Eliada's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    Illidan Stormrage was the final boss of The Burning Crusade. Kil'jaeden was just a mess that needed cleaning up afterwards.
    The Lich King was the final boss of Wrath of the Lich King.
    Deathwing will be the final boss of Cataclysm. Halion was the crossovereque boss between expansions.
    But Illidan wasn't the final boss of The Burning Crusade. Lore in 2.0 established by Keal'thas (after he is defeated, screaming in Shattrath) that Kil'jaeden was coming. Jil'jaeden is clearly the last boss of TBC. It may not have been the final boss Blizzard had intended but they ALTERED the storyline and let it evolve fluidly to end with Kael'thas and Kil'jaeden. Nothing WotLK related began until the Scourge Invasion event and Zombie Epidemic.

    IF Illidan was the last boss of The Burning Crusade, thus meaning The Burning Crusade expansion ended in 2.1, then the Burning Crusade was easily the worst expansion. In fact, it was a pile of steaming, disappointing crap.

    January 16h, 2007 (TBS release) to May 22, 2007 (Patch 2.1). The expansion was five months then. And the "final/main" boss, Illidan, did absolutely nothing of substantial value, had zero character interaction outside of his raid and a tiny Netherwing appearamce, only controlled the Illidari demons, and essentually sat in his temple for 5 months waiting for Maiev and Akama to come get revenge.

    Nope. Don't buy it. Blizz made him the villain, screwed up cause they released him too soon, so altered the storyline and PROPERLY ended the expansion with Kil'jaeden.
  1. MortalWombat's Avatar
    The one thing that worries me is on the paladin spell book it says he doesn't get the ability to rez until level 28. Not very forgiving to a level 15 group of new players who have some die on a pull.
  1. Donmc's Avatar
    You can already filter your professions in game. Only thing they added was the ability to have multiple filters.
  1. yevgeniyt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fcdwn777 View Post
    You're an asshat who has obviously done no research on what changes they are making to the trees and why.
    It all depends on the faith you have in Blizz's ability to deliver on promises. Sure what they sounds promising and reasonable but some ppl don't beleive that they will (or even can) deliver on their promisses. They always wanted to allow for meaningfull decissions in the talent trees (including in vanila when they had the same amount of points), but somehow they have never managed to create real options that do not gimp the player. Say mages; in vanila cookycutter frost spec through BWL, replaced by another cookiecutter speck when fire-resist goes away... same generall issue they have today.

Site Navigation