MMO-Champion - Cataclysm Elementals, Stormwind Stockades, Blue Posts
Cataclysm Elementals Models
Just like WotLK, Cataclysm brings awesome new models for elementals! The picture below should give you a good idea of what to expect in Cataclysm, each elemental has a "Bound" (Armored) and "Unbound" (Unarmored) form and is extremely detailed. Only the Unbound Air elemental is available for the moment, I'm still working on getting decent shots of the Unbound Water/Earth. (No fire yet)



Stormwind Stockades in Cataclysm
Interesting changes were made to the Stormwind Stockades in the latest build, the dungeon has been fully revamped and now features 3 different "Wings"


  • The "Human" wing, when you enter the instance. (Boss - Randolph Moloch)
  • The "Elemental" wing, when you go down the stairs on the right. (Boss - Lord Overheat)
  • The "Gnoll" wing, when you go down the stairs on the left. (Boss - ... Hogger!)

Just like most of the low level Cataclysm dungeons at this point, new NPCs have been added to the starting zone and will give you all the quests related to the dungeons there to make questing through the Dungeon Finder easy.

Pop Up Image Pop Up Image Pop Up Image Pop Up Image
Pop Up Image Pop Up Image Pop Up Image Pop Up Image
Pop Up Image Pop Up Image Pop Up Image

Pop Up Image


Blue Posts
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Paladin (Forums / 3.3.5 Talent Calculator / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Beta Skills/Talents)
Holy Shield
As it is now, it's worthless. If you like keeping Holy Shield up, there is zero chance of using Word of Glory. The heal for Word of Glory is still insanely gimpy, even with the buff, so it's unlikely that it will be used. It's still impossible to keep Holy Shield up with great consistency.
I'd buy that if Holy Shield gave you 20% damage reduction or something, but it's 15% block -- at best. You won't even really know if you would have blocked that hit had Holy Shield been up and you could easily keep Holy Shield up and still fail to block. Because it's not 100% dependable, letting it lapse sometimes shouldn't be the end of the world. Sometimes it might make sense to delay that block and heal yourself.

As far as rotations go, something I mentioned in the live forums is we are trying letting Shield of the Righteous (or whatever we decide to call it) consume Holy Power for more damage *and* refresh Holy Shield. So you would need to get Holy Shield up, but then you could just use your shield hits instead. If you were ever in a position where you couldn't hit the boss, you could always fall back on just casting Holy Shield itself. We'll see how that feels. (Source)

Priest (Forums / 3.3.5 Talent Calculator / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Beta Skills/Talents)
Chakra
I predict Chakra is going to be the reason players play Holy priests. It's going to be the kind of thing where you try out Disc for a few nights but decide you miss Chakra too much and go back. It's just not there yet. (Source)

So... Discipline is boring?
No, you're reading things into my words that I didn't actually say.

In LK, we would hear a lot how Disc was fun to play because of the shields and especially Penance. Priests would switch to Holy for a fight, but say that they missed the way Discipline felt. We think Holy needs something besides CoH that is a really fun mechanic that kind of sets the whole talent tree. Serendipity and Surge of Light can be fun today, but we think the tree needs more. Chakra has a ton of potential. Like I said, it's not there yet, but we have a lot of ideas for it.

Disc will be fine in Cataclysm PvE. It is going to be more well-rounded than it is today, but still have excellent absorption mechanics. (Source)

Shadow in Cataclysm
Mind Flay -- This is a technical explanation, but basically we had to rebuild it for Lich King to get it to benefit from haste correctly. Now that we have tech to let all periodics scale correctly with haste, we can change Mind Flay back to the way it used to work. The "latency" issues you experience today should be gone. You can just mash the Mind Flay button and the periodic won't clip.

Mind Blast -- With some increases scaling and the Shadow mastery, Mind Blast should always be your highest damage button (other than SWeath).

SW: Pain -- Pain and Suffering refreshes SW:Pain with your current haste, crit etc. values. All damage-over-time refresh mechanics and talents should do this now. You shouldn't have to recast a dot to benefit from a temporary buff or proc or whatever.

Spec options -- We have some plans to make early Disc more attractive to Shadow. There are probably fewer of us than you imagine, and we just can't work on every class at once. (Source)

Shaman (Forums / 3.3.5 Talent Calculator / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Beta Skills/Talents)
Why does a DK not have to choose between horn of winter and desecration?
Because that is pretty much all the DK gets.

The shaman on the other hand gets to choose among Strength of Earth Totem, Windfury Totem, Wrath of Air Totem, Flametongue Totem, Tremor Totem, Healing Stream Totem, resistance Totems and Earthbind Totem, which doesn't even count Bloodlust / Heroism, and things like Unleashed Rage or Elemental Oath. If your buff was as competitive as theirs and you had so much versatility, we fear we'd see raids with many, many shaman in them. As it is, there's still a good chance for 3 shaman in a 25-player raid, while the DKs might get 2 slots if they're lucky.

You should get a slot because you are a good player, not because your buff rules. (Source)

Shamans are Mandatory
Throughout the history of WoW, the problem has typically been that shaman (and paladin to be fair) bring too much utility and are therefore considered too mandatory. They started out in vanilla as buff classes -- the guys you bring who don't really do much themselves but bring buffs and debuffs that make every other class perform better. You couldn't for example just stack your raid with rogues and mages because their performance would be low without the shaman and paladins -- and before LK you had to bring enough to stick one in every group.

Now, we decided to change that design because we didn't think it felt very satisfying to be the buff bot spec who got brought along as if the player were some kind of scroll or flask to improve the "real players" performance. On the other hand, we knew it would be really brutal to the shaman and paladin to just rip away all of their utility and give them the typical 2 or so raid buffs that most other classes or spec get.

But we've definitely eroded it a little, and I'm not going to apologize much for that because we want to give players flexibility -- and flexibility means you can do a raid, especially a 10-player one, without a shaman or paladin. Nobody should be mandatory, except for a tank and a few healers. Nobody should be left out either, but the specs who got left out in LK did so because of low dps -- Arms, Frost mage and Subtlety rogue. Shaman did fine.

Believe me, I have thought long and hard about scrapping the entire buff / debuff system because players focus on it too much. But I know that if we did that, players would then focus too much on damage per second and healing per second of the best players out there. We also think it would be unfortunate to lose that sense of being so much more powerful in a group than you are solo.

For now, in Cataclysm, we are just sharing even more of the buffs and debuffs across a wide gamut, especially very powerful ones like Bloodlust and Battle Rez, and chilling out the impact of some of the more potent ones, say Sunder and Curse of Elements, while also cutting back on the sheer number of buffs brought by say the Ret paladin and Balance druid.

I am much more interested in discussions about say shaman dps totems and healing totems than I am about buff totems, because we believe the latter have much less to do with either your getting to raid or your raid being succesful. (Source)

Enhancement
Enhance does fine on stationary fights like Saurfang and Festergut, but drops behind on heavy movement fights, and unfortunately the fight that counts the most has a lot of movement.

But that's not a totem problem. That's because so much of Enhancement's dps is tied up in getting procs on quick attacks. If a warrior has to move, it may not hurt them as much because their abilities are on longer cooldowns anyway and they can even store up on the rage. For energy classes it's even better because they can just unload when they do get back in range. But Enhancement just lost out on those procs, and they aren't coming back.

We're okay with some specs doing better on some fights than others, but we think Enhancement suffers a little too much when they have to move (and they aren't the only ones - Balance druids and even Elementals are in a similar bucket). We're trying to address this in Cataclysm without removing what it is that players like about Enhance.

But again, this doesn't have a lot to do with totems. They might have to drop their totems again, but that dps loss is arguably neglibile compared to the loss of not being able to deal damage for short times. (Source)

Warrior (Forums / 3.3.5 Talent Calculator / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Beta Skills/Talents)
Tanking Talent in Fury Tree? (Die by the Sword)
I play with this Fury warrior. His dps is quite high to the extent that he pulls a lot and then generally dies before anyone can respond. This talent is dedicated to him. (Source)

Slam
One potential solution to Slam for Fury is to make the proc more predictable (like Overpower for Arms). With Enrage -> Raging Blow as the major mechanic Fury needs to pay attention to now, watching for that Bloodsurge proc may be a little too much. (Source)

Inner Rage
Also, does anyone else feel like Inner Rage is more or less pointless now? It doesn't really seem to add anything to the class other than unnecessary complexity. It feels like our rage gain is stable and well-balanced enough that the balancing doesn't need to fall back on such an obvious crutch and making the cost of your abilities fluctuate is just annoying.
Nobody is raiding and there isn't a lot of PvP on Beta (yet). Simply using an ability like Raging Calm will probably trigger Inner Rage (which was part of the idea behind it). (Source)

The MMO Report
The MMO Report is back this week!



Comics
Dark Legacy Comic #249 and Teh Gladiators #154 + #155 are out.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Cataclysm Elementals, Stormwind Stockades, Blue Posts started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 128 Comments
  1. ocbdare's Avatar
    Now there is even less incentive to play a resto druid in cataclysm. They are giving out our Battle Rez to some other class. I hope it's not another healer. I can understand if priests get it. But if shaman or paladins get it, this will be a disgrace having in mind how much utility they bring already.

    I don't like the whole sharing is caring when it comes to buffs, I mean it is much easier to have a buff bot that always gets in raids than spreading all the buffs around the table so you get as many as possible at no additional cost in terms of dps/healing/tanking.

    Brb going to roll a shammy/pally cause they are obviously getting all the new toys, whereas trees are left behind...
  1. vonDragankh's Avatar
    About the brezz.

    Last thing i read was they are reworking the soulstone mechanic from locks so it can be cast on dead ppl to and they can ress the dead.


    Elemetals look awesome, and ill be going back to the stockades a lot to kill that damn gnoll!
  1. Valamivan's Avatar
    Elwynn Forest was merely a setback!
  1. row's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Last DJ View Post
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Believe me, I have thought long and hard about scrapping the entire buff / debuff system because players focus on it too much. But I know that if we did that, players would then focus too much on damage per second and healing per second of the best players out there.
    ...wait ... what? Because god knows most of the playerbase, when assembling a raid, goes "Yanno, Phil, we need a Warlock for Curse of Elements."

    "Great idea, Ted! Should we give two wet farts about how much damage he can do?"

    "Hell no! What do I look like, a developer? All we need is for some schmoe in greens to toss CoE up, then he can die."

    "Okeedokee, Ted! /trade LF1 Warlock for ICC25, must have CoE on actionbar, PST with screenshot of UI".


    ...of course, that's blown blatantly out of proportion, but I enjoy mocking GC at every available opportunity. It's part of the Shaman class description. We've been passed over so many times (/sunglasses) our next tier set should include a yarmulke (/YYYYEEEEAAAAHHH).
    Assuming that they balance raid balance around trade pugs is pretty fail. Any kind of none retarded guild does focus on picking the better raid set up for buffs and debuffs going in to it.
  1. muto's Avatar
    holy already is more fun than discipline and in my opinion is the most fun healing spec.

    85% of the time a discipline priest is just shielding and keeping prayer of mending on cool down.
  1. Buzzinjoe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Targo View Post
    The WLK ones are called revenants and they are different type of elementals. Those bound and unbound are most likely another type of elementals. What's the difference between revenants and the regular elementals, we've previously seen? Revenants are lesser kind of elementals and for an example, in-game, fire elemental is immune to fire, fire revenant doesn't mitigate fire damage at all.
    Totally... it has absolutely nothing to do with Blizzard saying they were doing away with elemental school resistances because it was gimping certain specs. It is indeed all because Revenants are 'lesser' elementals. /sarcasm off (some people still don't get sarcasm on the interwebz)
  1. Zaerix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rochedo View Post
    You dont see the point about new healing system. Healers mana will run out so if a tank can use something to help healers saving some mana why not?
    A good tank in cata in my opinion will do all he can to avoid a decente healer run out of mana.
    The healing spam is over. Now healer have to save mana when they can. Dps bring bandages, tanks mitigate all damage you can!

    p.s. hope so. hate this spam system and the "healer wast your infinite mana on me while im doing 14k dps on this void zone!" or "I'm a 70khp tank and I dont need CDs to survive so never used a CD and dont care about mitigate some damage because the job of healer is heal all dmg I take, dont care how"
    I do see the point in the new healing system, I'm just saying I don't see the point in Word of Glory being used as Prot since the shield seems hardly useful and the heal, while nice, also seems a bit useless as, in my opinion at least, it would be a waste of Holy Power and a GCD for what will probably be a lackluster heal. A Prot Paladin, even with Cataclysm's inflated stats, most likely won't have enough Spell Power for Word of Glory to heal a significant amount (And yes I'm aware the talent increases Word of Glory's healing by 40% on self). Plus, healers should still have a decent amount of mana to do stuff. It won't be infinite by any means but I doubt you'll be mana-starved enough for the tank to need to heal himself. Yes, healers will be saving mana. Yes, tanks mitigate all the damage they can. But not because of the new healing system. Because of the fact that, well, that is what you're supposed to do.

    As a side note, bandages are basically dead raid-wise (As far as I see) since damage interrupts them (A large amount of fights most likely have aoe damage going out every once in a while, I'd assume.) and I think all classes now have ways to save themselves so they don't have a need for bandages.

    Death Knight has their various healing abilites (Rune Tap, Death Strike, etc.), Druid has healing spells and Imp. Leader of the Pack, Hunter has Deterrence, Disengage, etc., Mage has Iceblock, Blink, etc., Paladin has Divine Shield, various healing spells, etc., Priest has various healing spells, Dispersion, etc., Rogue has Vanish, Evasion, Sprint, Cloak of Shadows, etc., Shaman has various healing spells, Earth Elemental Totem, etc., Warlock has various draining spells, Metamorphosis, etc., and Warrior has Intervene, Enraged Regeneration, etc.

    Just to name a few.

    Edit: Also those two examples you listed are those who we healers let die until they get it through their thick skulls that it's not smart to do that. Or maybe that's just my guild. *shrug*
  1. Dingolicious's Avatar
    Hot damn, them elemental models are unbelievably awesome.

    Cataclysm should be awesome judging by the info appearing all over the place. Oh, and Hogger!
  1. Buzzinjoe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by row View Post
    Assuming that they balance raid balance around trade pugs is pretty fail. Any kind of none retarded guild does focus on picking the better raid set up for buffs and debuffs going in to it.
    He was being sarcastic. Jeez... how does it get lost on so many people? He was saying people already focus on individual dps like maniacs. And he's right.

    As to your "any non retarded guild" comment. You're wrong. Once you cover all buffs/debuffs you look for dps/utility nothing else. And covering all buffs and debuffs come Cataclysm is going to require no more than 10 players. So the other 15 in a 25man raid are going to be picked for dps and utility. Blizzard damn well better get their balance both in damage and utility departments right straight away this time around or shit is really going to hit the fan on the official forums. They've left themselves no wiggle room with this expansion.
  1. Gak32's Avatar
    Elementals look amazing! And Stockades, it's about friggin' time they revamped that stupid instance! Seriously the only place I hated more then Gnomeregan was the Stockades because it was so pointless and had quests spread all over the place. Spend all this time gathering quests, run the instance once through, never touch it again.

    Also:
    Tanking Talent in Fury Tree? (Die by the Sword)
    I play with this Fury warrior. His dps is quite high to the extent that he pulls a lot and then generally dies before anyone can respond. This talent is dedicated to him.
    I knew a Warrior like that. Made a Salv macro just for him, and had to use it quite often. Although I think it may have caused a few wipes too because the other raid members would laugh too hard >.>
  1. Spartanoble's Avatar
    noo they cannot capture hogger
  1. Lord Lichfury's Avatar
    I think it's safe to say that the Hogger quest alone is a good enough reason for Horde players to seriously reconsider their faction loyalties.
  1. Prozac's Avatar
    hogger >.>
  1. Brezals's Avatar
    Hogger!!! wow i didnt thought they would revamp the old instances this much as they have done^^

    ---------- Post added 2010-08-02 at 01:16 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Leialyn View Post
    Those elementals look ugly... I mean legs longer than body always looks ridiculous.
    um legs? i dont think elementals walks on 2 legs man, i think those are arms xD and they are usually longer the the main body
  1. togun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaerix View Post
    I love the new elemental models, especially the water elemental, and how Hogger is finally an official boss somewhere, even if it is just the Stockades.

    Also, a word about Holy Shield. Maybe it's just me, but I think that, given a choice between (what I assume is) a weak shield from Word of Glory and refreshing Holy Shield, people will refresh every time. 6 seconds of absorption probably won't prevent as much damage as another 20 seconds of 15% block chance. But let's say that, for all purposes, Word of Glory gives a decently strong shield and an extra 15% block doesn't do shit. Unless it's on a priority to have damage taken from the Word of Glory shield before all others, it will be useless if you have Power Word: Shield or Sacred Shield on you since those will without a doubt be stronger shields due to being from actual healers.

    Overall, I see what this guy means when he says that Word of Glory is insanely gimpy. If you really need the healing, something's wrong with either you or your healers as a tank shouldn't NEED to heal himself to survive. That's a job for people that aren't the tank.



    Elementals don't have legs... Do you mean arms? Stand up straight. I believe your hands reach down farther than your waist. Ergo, your arms are longer than your body.
    actually some ppl are rectangle and some ppl are square the ones that are square go down to there waist not past and rectangle goes past waist
  1. Rokee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valamivan View Post
    Elwynn Forest was merely a setback!
    What's even funnier: Hogger actually says that when you encounter him.

    Blizzard, where is the "Merely a setback!"-achievement?
  1. Sukaduk's Avatar
    Wow those elementals look awesome and HOGGER!
  1. Turboface's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzinjoe View Post
    Totally... it has absolutely nothing to do with Blizzard saying they were doing away with elemental school resistances because it was gimping certain specs. It is indeed all because Revenants are 'lesser' elementals. /sarcasm off (some people still don't get sarcasm on the interwebz)
    It's still a good example because the elementals in WLK are immune to their respective element.
  1. Chulda's Avatar
    Please Blizzard... Let us, mages, summon this incredibly awesome water elemental... please :]
  1. row's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzinjoe View Post
    He was being sarcastic. Jeez... how does it get lost on so many people? He was saying people already focus on individual dps like maniacs. And he's right.

    As to your "any non retarded guild" comment. You're wrong. Once you cover all buffs/debuffs you look for dps/utility nothing else. And covering all buffs and debuffs come Cataclysm is going to require no more than 10 players. So the other 15 in a 25man raid are going to be picked for dps and utility. Blizzard damn well better get their balance both in damage and utility departments right straight away this time around or shit is really going to hit the fan on the official forums. They've left themselves no wiggle room with this expansion.
    There was no sarcasm in that post at all? All he was using was hyperbole which he admitted to in the post. Sarcasm=/= hyperbole. I realised he was basically saying GC's comment was wrong and that people focus on DPS more than raid balance which I have no idea why you felt the need to point out. My point was that this not true, I'll say it again any none retarded guild will tell you the most important thing in putting to together a raid is the raid balance not dps.
    This is the most focused on thing since DPS is a none matter since unless your dps are terrible they should all be doing sufficient dps for the encounter.

Site Navigation