MMO-Champion - Skywall, Cataclysm Beta Launcher, Blue Posts
Cataclysm Screenshot of the Day - Skywall
The official Screenshot of the Day Gallery has been updated with 2 interesting screenshots of Skywall.



Cataclysm Beta - Hunter & Warlock Pet Data Wipe Inbound
Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
During the standard beta realm maintenance on Thursday morning, we will be wiping all pet data for hunters and warlocks to fix a data corruption issue. Hunters will need to tame new pets as a result of this change, while warlocks should simply notice that their pets' names have changed.

New Cataclysm Beta Launcher FAQ
Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)

Below you will find the answers to common questions about the new Launcher being added this week. For more information and discussion, please review this announcement: https://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/t...01168&sid=2000

Q. How much data is in each stage for a full Cataclysm installation?
A. In general, about 5% of the data is red (required), about 70% of the data is yellow (base gameplay), and about 25% of the data is green (extended data).

Q. How is data assigned to each stage?
A. Data is assigned to each stage based on the relative need for that data. Red is required to get into the game, yellow is data needed for base gameplay, and green is for variants of base game data (higher-resolution graphics, alternate sounds, other flavor data).

Q. How do I know when the entire game is downloaded?
A. The progress bar will reach 100%, and then will not be shown on subsequent launches (until there is a new patch released).

Q. Will I still be able to download patches from mirror sites?
A. Yes, standalone patches will still work.

Q. Will the downloader still use P2P / bittorrent?
A. Yes.

Q. Will large patches still be downloadable in advance through the background downloader?
A. Yes.

Q. Will it be possible to download the entire game before I begin playing it?
A. Yes.

Q. Is this mandatory?
A. No. Users will have the option of playing before all game data is downloaded and applied. They may choose to enter the game, or they may choose to wait.

Q. On patch days, will I be able to start the patch download before the realms are back up?
A. Yes.

Q. You are requiring a reinstall of the beta client. Does this mean I will have to reinstall my WoW retail client when I buy Cataclysm?
A. No. As with the prior two expansions, there will be a lengthy patching process to migrate users from the prior major version (3.0) to the new major version (4.0). Data for this patch will be downloaded in advance via the background downloader.

Q. Will I still be able to download a patch once and copy it to multiple machines?
A. Yes, as long as you have fully downloaded the entire patch. However, as with the prior expansions, patches from a previous major version (all patches prior to 4.0) will not work with the new major version.

Q. What if I have a low bandwidth connection?
A. After the initial beta release, users with connections below 1 MB/sec will be required to download all data before entering the game. Users with connections above 1 MB/sec will have the option of entering the game before all data has been downloaded and applied. Users at any bandwidth may exit the game and resume the download if they find the play experience undesirable.

Q. How will this affect new characters logging in for the first time?
A. If a player chooses to enter the game while content is still downloading, data for the introductory race video and zone fly-through will be applied at the loading screen to ensure a smooth game introduction. This is currently only functional for new worgen characters. Other races have not yet been optimized, which may lead to issues with the opening fly-through if they are loaded while content is still being downloaded.

Blue Posts
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Guild Contest Status
All winners for the Cataclysm Beta -- Guild Contest have been selected and should be contacted via email soon. (Source)

In-Game Footage as Cinematics
Sort of taking it off subject to to start with, but it's inevitable that eventually computer graphics will reach the point where there's no such thing as pre-rendered cinematics. But we've all been hearing that for a while, and while we are getting closer, we're definitely not there yet.

We don't think we are. We don't pretend we are, and our in-house cinematics department is bigger than ever working on cinematics that are better than ever.

Regarding World of Warcraft - Each World of Warcraft release, including the initial and subsequent expansions, has had a single cinematic. It's what plays when you first launch the game. This intro-cinematic approach has been done primarily because, as an MMO, pulling players out of a multiplayer environment where anything could be going on at the time they hit the point where the cinematic could play is risky. Say you're PvP flagged and a cinematic starts to play. Or you happen to be having a very heated discussion in guild chat, etc. etc. It's not an ideal play space to be popping up full screen videos. The story was intended to play out within the game world itself through text, voice, and effects.

With Wrathgrate we tried something new. Using our in-house video team which had been making many of the machinima trailers for us (most of which can be found here http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/downloads/movies.html) for promotional use, as well as commercials, the South Park episode, on and on, instead used it as a way to show events to the player in a more cinematic approach. We had come a long way and with new technology a lot of the previous concerns were either completely squashed or had working solutions to remove a lot of the potential aggravation caused by interrupting the game.

The response was extremely positive. People really enjoyed it, and so it was used again as a way to give Arthas a more epic and cinematic end. Certainly befitting of a King. (Kael and Illy should have been so lucky...)

So, those are not pre-rendered cinematics, they're clearly using in-game assets, we don't claim otherwise. However, we do claim that they are completely kick ass and know that most people enjoy what they add to the game. Key word 'add', because they are truly additions which took nothing away from the intro cinematic each release has had.

The Wrathgate and Fall of the Lich King allowed us to really take it up a notch and deliver something spactacular.

Now, on to the subject of StarCraft II - In our opinion it also has amazing cinematics. The in-engine story telling in StarCraft II, which you say has detracted from the cinematics, is comparative to this - http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/t...k/855f805c.jpg from the original StarCraft.

We think we've come a long way.

Bottom line, we still have an incredibly talented cinematics team and we'll continue to produce the amazing pre-rendered cinematics you've come to know and love. (Source)

Paladin (Forums / 3.3.5 Talent Calculator / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Beta Skills/Talents)
Retribution Rotation
The rotation won't be 121212 under any circumstances.

At the very basic level you could call it 1112111311121113 but almost every class boils down to something similar if you ignore all of the other talents and abilities. What will keep Ret from falling into a rotation that stable are:

1) Having to manage other attacks. Judgement isn't the kind of button you eventually get around to using.
2) Getting Holy Power coming in at somewhat unpredictable (but not completely random) intervals.
3) Dealing with procs like Art of War.

Seals do way too much damage on live and in Cataclysm. We haven't worried about that damage yet because we're still working out a basic rotation that feels good. We also are mindful that deemphasizing white attacks of any kind risks making haste less attractive. (Source)
This article was originally published in forum thread: Skywall, Cataclysm Beta Launcher, Blue Posts started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 76 Comments
  1. Noomz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonoka View Post
    I most certainly think TBC was bigger than WotLK, both content-wise and lore-wise.
    Even tho Draenei crap.
    WotLK have been nothing but pure boredom.. I for myself only played 'til about mid of Ulduar patch, then quit and recently started again(1 week ago) due to the fact that Cata is "soon" coming out.
    TBC was awesome.

    That's not because Wotlk was boring but because you've grown out of the game. That's natural, you can't keep liking the same thing forever.

    Doesn't change the fact that TBC only had its intro cinematic and nothing else in that department.


    Quote Originally Posted by Sensa View Post
    actually that's not true, if memory serves me, there was a cinematic/cut-scene in MGT as part of a quest.
    That "cinematic" was a fly-through of the area.


    Fact still remains, Illidan never got an epic awesome in-game cutscene at all. Wotlk did.

    Not sure you all know the time and numbers it takes to create a cinematic of Blizzard quality.

    Another fact still remains: The WoW community is still the most spoiled, egotistical, dumb people in a community I've come across outside the animé community (marginally worse but in other ways).
    You'll freaking complain about bloody anything and you're never bloody happy about anything you get either. Always, ALWAYS complaining.
  1. Raqubor's Avatar
    Skywall looks amazing, and TBH i didn't see the strange shape in the bird statue, i don't think it looks like a p* since you can clearly see it's neck and head and birds like this (spoonbill/blue heron/stork) are like that when they sit.

    Maybe it's just you who are perverted, seeing p*s everywhere.

    Ps: Can't wait to explore Skywall!
  1. DrgnDancer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowIceAvian View Post
    Neutrality doesn't work too well when people start stealing your store's goods en masse while holding you at gunpoint.

    Not that I really have any particular issue with pirating music and games, mind you... it's just that most ISPs can't be simple tunnels anymore when the most common use of P2P protocols is to steal content.
    And legally download video games, and legally download Open Source Operating Systems, and even legally download music and other media that's been released into the public domain. The problem is essentially that peer to peer systems are the most efficient way to distribute data ever designed. the fact that it CAN be use for illegal purposes is totally immaterial to that. Obviously people illegally exchanging data want to do it as fast as possible. So do all of the many legitimate users of P2P technology.

    Making a useful technology completely impractical to use, simply because it can be used for something illegal, is exactly why we need Net Neutrality laws.
  1. Bugmenot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowIceAvian View Post
    Neutrality doesn't work too well when people start stealing your store's goods en masse while holding you at gunpoint.

    Not that I really have any particular issue with pirating music and games, mind you... it's just that most ISPs can't be simple tunnels anymore when the most common use of P2P protocols is to steal content.
    Nonsense. It is not about piracy, it is about bandwidth. P2P traffic is huge, traffic ain´t free and providers want to keep there flat rate cheap, which means they have to keep traffic per user low. If your argument would be valid, I could not simply ask you why a lot of isp do exactly the same with voip, blocking it complete, denied usage in their terms of use or use QoS filters and set it to low priority … sure, that are only those isps that offer regular phone services themselves, especial mobile carriers. Regular providers set voip even on high priority in their QoS, but these days p2p every often on low … again, brave new world without net neutrality, it is only a small step from here to start to surpress content at all.

    Have not paid your isp the gaming extra? Well, bad luck than, only 300ms ping to blizzard servers, but for 5$ extra they can fix this … *grumble, swear* , t-online did this some years ago already
  1. Gaelic_Kyla's Avatar
    Awww maaaan.. about the hunter pet wipe on the beta.. after I juuust tamed the slightly elusive indigo fox in Loch Modan... it's so gosh darn cute :3

    *sadness* oooh well.. hopefully this means they'll also fix some crud with not being able to train skills unless you delete one of ur professions and whatnot.. oy.. xD

    Excited about the cinematics though.. I'm really lookin forward to seeing what they come up with and how they animate stuffs!
  1. Strafer's Avatar
    No in-game graphics in the cinematic please.

    CGI ftw.
  1. Sensa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    That's not because Wotlk was boring but because you've grown out of the game. That's natural, you can't keep liking the same thing forever.

    Doesn't change the fact that TBC only had its intro cinematic and nothing else in that department.




    That "cinematic" was a fly-through of the area.


    Fact still remains, Illidan never got an epic awesome in-game cutscene at all. Wotlk did.

    Not sure you all know the time and numbers it takes to create a cinematic of Blizzard quality.

    Another fact still remains: The WoW community is still the most spoiled, egotistical, dumb people in a community I've come across outside the animé community (marginally worse but in other ways).
    You'll freaking complain about bloody anything and you're never bloody happy about anything you get either. Always, ALWAYS complaining.
    I wasn't complaining just noting there was some use of the technique in TBC

    and from an "engaging" point of view - the Wrath Gate cinematic was, in my opinion, a lot better than LK's

    and lastly, any defense of blizzard based on time/effort/resources is a sign of fanboyitism considering the wads of cash they have and continue to make off of WoW...
  1. Nozuka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    A full grown cinematic is probably too expensive for a free content patch. Plain and simple.
    well actually its not free, dont forget the subscription fee.

    but i agree that they are very expensive.
  1. Leodegrance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buechse View Post
    ok, they should remodel this thing a bit or this wonderful setting will suffer under immature and infantile penis-jokes
    Fixed that for you.

    Just goes to show the mental capacity and mental age of many of the people here when that is the first thing they see.

    "Huh huh hurp durp it looks like a penis..lol"

    Some of you need to grow up and get out of the 1st and 2nd grade level mindset.
  1. staticflare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leodegrance View Post
    Fixed that for you.

    Just goes to show the mental capacity and mental age of many of the people here when that is the first thing they see.

    "Huh huh hurp durp it looks like a penis..lol"

    Some of you need to grow up and get out of the 1st and 2nd grade level mindset.
    ACtually looking at that statue and thinking about a penis isnt 1 or 2nd grade at all. Thats more of a high school level where most of the WoW player base is. Sorry to say when I first saw that I thought of a penis aswell ( Or a double vibrator), but that doesnt mean im immature .
  1. Azalu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaerix View Post
    I have to say that I'm a bit sick of all of the Paladin-only news posts lately, and I'm a Paladin.

    It would be fine if they contained something I could look forward to, but everything lately has been minor changes or complete reworkings of things that aren't broken, quite possibly making them broken in the process.

    Please give news to other classes so I can stop being a sad pally panda every day.

    And also, the Retadin rotation was never 121212, I believe you're thinking of something like Arcane Mages *ba dum tch*

    You're making Mages look harder than they are :O

    My rotation was pretty much, 2222D22232232222322D

    2 being Arcane Blast
    3 being Arcane Missiles
    D being Arcane Barrage

    Dunno why but I always have an instant cast spell bound to D
  1. Demoncrash's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    ...
    At the very basic level you could call it 1112111311121113 but almost every class boils down to something similar if you ignore all of the other talents and abilities.
    Well any rotations is fine as long as its not xxxx and yyyy and xxxx and yyyy...



    o_o
  1. insertuseralias's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokke View Post
    I am glad someone said it. I was thinking the same thing.
  1. Stixxz's Avatar
    Cock for a monument. Were they high when they created that?
  1. Hunelf's Avatar
    Any idea why there are Tol'vir in a place that's supposed to be filled with air elementals?
  1. Bucky Mclachlan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stixxz View Post
    Cock for a monument. Were they high when they created that?
    It's quite clearly a bird, like a swan or a crane with a curved neck. For obvious reasons bird motifs should be fitting for a city in the clouds. Stop being a fucking retard.
  1. Buffwhite's Avatar
    Yay, Paladin only class news... again. Not like there are 9 other classes in the game or anything.

    I play a Warr, Priest, Hunter and Sham, and quite frankly when I log in to see the updated blue posts I get a little miffed when it's just that little pink "Paladin" followed by walls of text and nothing else. If they are working on all the classes, cool, then give updates, but right now, it seems like the entire team is dedicated exclusively to pally re-working. If not? Then give us other class updates pls... Even if it is only minor, throw the dog a bone.
  1. Bucky Mclachlan's Avatar
    They're only heavily working on a few classes right now. Two of those classes are paladins and warriors that's why you've hearing a lot about those.
  1. hejzwej's Avatar
    That is one awesome place :P

    But the mobs seem to be covered by a shadow, which doesn't seem to exist in the static world. And even if it's just their brightness on the texture, they still don't seem to belong there.
  1. draconicman's Avatar
    They could do so much more with this new download technology. They could put in new npcs, new zones, and do world events MUCH easier. Though obviously things like class balancing and UI changes they can't do without making everyone patch at the same time. Still, I hope Blizzard sees the potential in what they can do with this.

Site Navigation