MMO-Champion - February 9 Hotfixes, Haste Fix, Living Elements Change, Druid Tanking, Blue Posts
Patch 4.0.6 Hotfixes - February 9
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
February 9
Classes
  • Haste is again properly increasing resource regeneration rates for applicable melee classes. This fix will require a realm restart to take effect. More information regarding the series of changes pertaining to this issue can be found on our General Discussion forum.

Death Knight (Forums / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Skills/Talents)
  • The root that the Frost talent Chilblains gives to Chains of Ice is now properly affected by diminishing returns and shares diminishing returns with other root effects.
  • Dark Transformation now increases pet damage by 60%, down from 80%.
  • Death Coil damage has been reduced by 15%.
  • The pet damage bonus from Shadow Infusion is now 6% per stack, down from 8%.

Priest (Forums / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Skills/Talents)

Dungeons & Raids

The Bastion of Twilight
  • Players are no longer instantly killed when auras are removed after defeating Cho'gall.
  • Players affected by Conversion during the Cho'gall encounter will gain the correct amount of Corrupted Blood, and the Corrupted Blood mechanics correctly trigger at the appropriate times.
  • Burning Twilight is now bound to the raid dungeon and cannot be taken outside of the instance to affect other players.

Blackwing Descent
  • Chimaeron no longer casts Caustic Slime on targets who are affected by Break. Chimaeron now casts Caustic Slime on a tank target if there are not enough players present without Break.

Deadmines
  • Players should no longer get disconnected when dying in the Vanessa Vancleef encounter on Heroic difficulty.

Shadowfang Keep
  • Deathstalker Adamant and Sorcerer Ashcrombe now have a gossip option for their respective factions to open the courtyard door while the Love is in the Air event is active.

Items

Professions
  • Orgrimmar and Stormwind Cooking and Fishing daily quests are again granting the proper skill-ups when turned in.

Haste Issue Causing Ability Errors - Update#2
Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
The Haste issue was hotfixed last night but unfortunately as all hotfixes are quick fixes on the live realms, there is some risk associated with them and a new bug has been introduced. We believe the extent is that rogues, druids, death knights, and hunters are now not earning resources from true haste (such as from gear). We expect to implement a fix late tonight or early tomorrow. Our apologies for any impact this may have on your regularly scheduled play.

[...] A hotfix for this issue has been applied but will require off-peak rolling restarts to pick up the change.

Transmute: Living Elements changes in 4.0.6
Originally Posted by Nethaera (Blue Tracker)
I wanted to hop in and clarify and confirm there was in fact a change that was implemented with the patch that unfortunately did not make the patch notes.

The change actually adjusted the return on the transmutes so that you weren't getting spikes in the amount of items you'd get from the transmute. Instead, if you transmute over a period of time, the amount of the transmute return should even out.

So basically if you transmute on a regular basis, you should see a more regular return on the transmute vs. a spike in large returns. Transmutation specialists will almost always get a PROC when transmuting living elements.

Druids Tanking Bug
Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
After the designers looked into this issue more, there appears to be a pretty complex series of bugs that may have led to where we are now. I'll do my best to explain.

Early on in Cataclysm, it was concluded that druid tanks took too much damage and we deployed a hotfix to buff their armor through Thick Hide. Originally, we had thought that 4.0.6 was just updating the Thick Hide tooltip as well as the armor display on the character sheet for the earlier hotfix, but we think now that the armor buff itself was actually correctly applied with 4.0.6, and the previous hotfix had never taken hold properly.

The reason we missed this is because there is no easy way to know what your armor actually is when you can’t trust the tooltip – you have to have things beat on you and see how much damage you take. This test was tainted by a second bug however, where some druid characters were invisibly retaining the 12% damage reduction benefit of the obsolete Protector of the Pack talent. Even though we removed that talent, its effects were still benefitting some characters, and we didn't know who or how many. Again, there is no easy way to know if your druid was affected without a lot of testing. We knew about the Protector of the Pack bug but were hesitant to try and mess with it too much via hotfix since bear survivability was where we wanted it to be for those characters and we didn’t want to risk making anything worse. In any event, those characters appeared to be taking the correct amount of damage, so we thought the Thick Hide hotfix was successful. In reality, we think we were seeing the Protector of the Pack damage reduction and not the Thick Hide armor buff.

We believe the 4.0.6 patch finally removed the Protector of the Pack effects while finally getting the Thick Hide buff applied. Characters who had the Protector of the Pack benefit won’t see their survivability change much (they lost damage reduction while gaining armor), while characters who lacked that talent will see their survivability improve (they gained a lot of armor). The good news is that current bear survivability in 4.0.6 appears to be where we want it to be for everyone.

We’re still not 100% sure that the above explanation is what happened, but it seems consistent with our observations. Again, as of 4.0.6, bear armor should now be correct.

Celebrating 20 Years of Blizzard Entertainment
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
In 1991, three young UCLA graduates decided to start their own game company. Their goal: make cool games and have fun doing so. Twenty years later, their fledgling studio has grown into a major game developer and publisher that entertains millions of players around the world.

Join us on our new 20th anniversary mini-site as we celebrate two decades worth of games and the community of players who made it all possible through their passion, enthusiasm, and support.

Blue Posts
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Another Day in Tol Barad in 4.0.6
Completing some daily quests again isn't a really big task for players who like to get achievements.

Most of the time, this is accurate. However, some realms do not exchange Tol Barad very often, which makes this achievement much more difficult. Feathermoon went weeks and weeks without the Alliance having access to the daily quests.
We made some adjustments to Tol Barad in the patch that should help it flip more often. We are continuing to monitor it and we'll see how it goes. I know it has already been changing a lot more on my realm. (Source)

[...] This achievement is pretty minor and not the kind that people will really gloat over having first, so you can take your time with it and just check in every so often to see if the quests you need are available.

We don't really like having to put players in this type of situation, but having the achievement makes more sense in the long run and we think it's more fun to have it than to not. Some people are making this out to be insulting and along the lines of something game-breaking and I disagree. (Source)

Retroactive Achievements
Retroactive achievements are actually tricky as we need some sort of guarantee that isn't always easy to track. There were a lot of complaints about people not getting their achievement retroactively when WotLK came out as there were only so many ways for us to determine it. For something like this, it isn't really worth spending the time to try and figure out a way to track it when it doesn't take a lot of commitment to do again. Since you said you weren't planning to do the quests now that you are exalted, all you have to do is keep an eye out for the ones you haven't done so it will take less and less time as you get closer to the end. (Source)

No talent tree reset in 4.0.6?
Correct, talent point wipes are only done as a very last resort in cases where not resetting them would actually 'break' a talent tree due to the changes made. They are not provided as a convenience when talent changes occur. If the points spent still work and add up correctly, then it is up to the individual player to decide if they want to pay to respec to fine tune their build to adapt to any changes post-patch.

[...] Blanket talent respecs are actually very disruptive. The least of which is probably not the thousands of in-game petitions from people asking where their abilities went, asking for spec advice, reporting bugs that they can't cast X anymore, etc. (thereby raising reply times for the issue you may actually need help with) For realzies. And, speccing characters is not as easy and straight forward as many might think it is. Logging in to find that your character has no talents and you must then spend time researching and reading what changes were made in the most recent patch and how to spec can be something that makes plenty of people just say 'never mind' and log out. Not a very fun experience. Anyway, it's a last resort for a number of reasons. (Source)

Cataclysm Battle Chest
At some point after Wrath came out we released the battle chest with both the original game and BC for a lower price point than buying them together. We haven't made any announcements regarding future product 'packages' but it's not out of the question. Thanks to everyone that added a calm and rational discussion to the thread. I think everything that can be said has been, though. (Source)

Change to "The Exalted" title in 4.0.6
We think "the Exalted" is a really awesome title. With Cataclysm we added a bunch of new reps though, and we want the title to keep pace so that it's always representative of someone that's obtained a considerable number of exalted reputations throughout the life of the game, even as we add more.

We did consider offering multiple titles for the various tiers, but "the Exalted" fits so perfectly and we wanted to avoid a potentially infinite string of titles like "the Fairly Exalted", "the Nigh Exalted", "the Mostly Exalted", etc. We also considered grandfathering in those who had already earned it but think that this title can be a unique testament to the continued efforts of reputation hunters and keep the same value as we introduce more reps and push the requirements up to match.

It's different than every other rep in the way we're raising it with a new bar to meet, and I do apologize that it wasn't communicated clearly beforehand that it was going to be functioning this way. (Source)

Paladin (Forums / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Skills/Talents)
Crusader Strike not generating Holy Power on dodge/parry/miss
Missing attacks should not generate Holy Power. We generally don’t reward characters for failing to land attacks. Retribution paladins can improve their hit or expertise like other melee DPS specs do. Tanks don’t generally stack a lot of hit or expertise, but we think Protection paladins will still be able to tank just fine. Prot warriors for example miss Shield Slams. (Source)

Shaman (Forums / Cataclysm Talent Calculator / Skills/Talents)
Mastery Procs and Rolling Thunder
This is a bug. Mastery procs should cause Rolling Thunder chargers. We're going to investigate its hotfix-ability. (Source)

Fan Art
The Blizzard Fan Art Section has been updated with eight new pieces of fan artwork set within the Warcraft universe.


This article was originally published in forum thread: February 9 Hotfixes, Haste Fix, Living Elements Change, Druid Tanking, Blue Posts started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 79 Comments
  1. Spotnick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JayHay View Post
    why dont yall complain about hybrid druids being top dps first. kthx
    Because they removed the concept of hybrid tax with this expansion? It's bring the player, not the class, everybody should play the class they want and they want to make sure raids don't stack 1 specific class.

    So overall, everybody should be doing similar dps. Well, it's the goal they want.
  1. Chadwixx's Avatar
    Dk's out dps me, i have no problem nerfing them because they are making me look bad. It doesnt really matter that it hurts my overall raid group, this is about me (the turd) floating to the top finally.
  1. Ryme's Avatar
    So, Death Knights get pulled back into the mix of every other class fighting for top dps and they complain? So what, because there's not a clear margin between you and other specs your class is now broken and sucky?

    Get a grip, then get some Golemblood potions and start challenging yourselves again.
  1. Sammonoske's Avatar
    In other news, the second image (after the DK Kratos) is being removed due to the so called artist failing at stealing an other persons work. Here is the original.
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/communi...p=warcraft#760
  1. Kiro's Avatar
    Some of you people are way off base here. I went from topping the meters on most fights to being 2-4k dps below our hunter, mage, war, and rogue. Now, I'm fine with losing out to pure dps classes, but the hybrid tax has been lifted supposedly (and Wars are hybrids, sooo). Even if I were "5%" below like the "old hybrid tax" talked about implementing in Wrath, I'd be fine. This is just flat out ridiculous. Blizzard has got to be the worst company ever when it comes to this stuff. I'm sick and tired of their ways of fixing things, which is to nerf them to the ground, then slowly build them back up. I'm tired that now my main is a hinderence on my guild. I'm honestly sick and tired of this stuff. These weren't "small" changes neither. The nerfs were hefty in the patch, and now this "hot fix" added insult to injury.

    Maybe if their best developers were on the game we wouldn't have this problem. Instead they're all off on Titan and D3, and we're stuck with the interns now. They nerfed the heck out of the trees and added mastery so they can do quick bandaids on balancing, yet they still pull stunts like this. I've toiled through a lot with this game, looking past it's flaws and shortcomings for a long time, I think this shown me they still haven't learned a single thing about proper balancing, nor do they care to. They can't balance PVE let alone PVP AND PVE.

    This along with the fact that I'm punished for being on a server in which my faction greatly out-numbers the other, I can't get into a single TB to get my weekly quest done, nor experience content i'm ENTITLED to experience since I pay for it. It's not a real raid, it's not 2800+ arena, it's supposed to be WORLD PVP. Blizzard really has been in free-fall with their quality and respect to their players along with their logic. This isn't the Blizzard of old that listened to their fans, this is a new Bobby Kotick lead team that became money hungry, and thinking they know best no matter what. Can't wait until the micro-transactions are in for gear and class buffs, which I'm sure is on the way to milk their "fans" even further.
  1. KClovesGaming's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by armand022 View Post
    It is simply not fair you removed us the title of the exalted. First you made us happy when we worked hard to obtain it trough 40 exalted reps, Then you put it to 45 and went up to 45 exaltd reps. Now you put it on 50 exalted reps. I think either you should remove that title or give it back who had 45. So in another patch or in another expantion you gonna remove it to 55 then remove it to 60 and so on. Please or give it to us as of 40 or 45 or stop playing with titles we earned. If we earned it we earned it so that it.
    Blizzards reason was perfectly fine. They have now scaled it accordingly with Cata and it's what they should have done when Cata was released. If people really want the title they will grind more factions. Stop whining it's a neat title, but it's not worth getting your panties in a knot. You want it, grind more. Simple.
  1. Starcatch's Avatar
    I love when blizz nerf DK its instant nerf with freaking hotfix!
  1. Kuja's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammonoske View Post
    In other news, the second image (after the DK Kratos) is being removed due to the so called artist failing at stealing an other persons work. Here is the original.
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/communi...p=warcraft#760

    Haha, good spotting. Noticed the legs behind her, and the bow attached to nothing :P Completely diferent colors used too
  1. Lamperouqe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rioo View Post
    UH DKs whining about being the third most overpowered spec and not the most out of the 22 dps speccs, lol. Be happy that Blizzard have and always will make sure you can do crazy damage with close to no effort. This whine just shows how spoiled Blizzard have made you.
    We're mediocre now. We needed it, but so do a few other classes.
    And actually, believe it or not, Unholy actually has a relatively high skill cap, though lowered in the last patch due to RC changes and the sort.
  1. Dawn Falcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentsatellite View Post
    Then why was the reason given for not resetting talent trees because they get too many tickets of people not knowing how to spec?

    You can't have it both ways, Blizz...
    What amuses me is they missed the answer: A free respec within 1 week.

    It's not confusing (anyone who reads patch notes will see it, and otherwise...well, they saved 50G woo, if they don't understand why it dosn't *matter*, it won't cause CS load...) and it lets people who care respec for the changes.
  1. Nathiest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoogle View Post
    Wow... that was quite a big nerf for UH Dks... and straight out after the patch like that in a Hotfix? :/
    Seriously. DT damage needed to be increased not lowered.

    I swear Blizzard hates all melee classes.
  1. Asane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Hunters deserved nerfs too, but they got buffed. 20k DPS on a freaking target dummy is retarded I don't care who you are. Unholy was fine on the PTR, the hot fix nerfs were completely not needed.[COLOR="red"]
    I agree that it's silly that Blizzard wanted to nerf SV because it deal too much damage, but in the same time buff MM to do even more damage than SV ever did.
    However, you can't post shit like this if you do not know how hunter talents work. The reason for the absurd numbers on the dummies is because of a little talent called "Careful Aim". That talent increase crit chance on Steady Shot and (more importanly) Aimed Shot with 60% on targets above 80% health.

    Guess what, dummies are always above 80% health.
    Guess what, that means that Aimed Shot crits almost every shot.
    Guess what, having Aimed Shot always crit is buffing Piercing Shot damage by a lot!
    Guess what, that combined is giving stupid numbers on dummy DPS.

    Dummies have never been a good source to chekc DPS regardless of specs. They are there to work out a solid rotation, nothing else.
  1. Crispin's Avatar
    Geesh do they test any of their patches before going live anymore?
  1. daburton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
    Maybe if their best developers were on the game we wouldn't have this problem.
    Actually, I wonder if the people who are working on development simply dont have their heads up their asses so far that the lack of oxygen has caused a misfire in their synapses. I can understand trying to balance out classes but, when has this EVER worked. Blizzard likes to play with stats every other week when someone finds a new way to max out their dps (oh look, he's using that in combination.... gee, we never thought of that, we need to nerf it). I havent touched my DK in a few weeks, but I have to sit here and shake my head in wonder at the logic in cutting pet damage 20 perc (from 100 to 80) and then, after going through PTR and months of testing, cut it yet another 20 percent to 60? And didnt they cut Death coil already and then they do it again. What the hell is the ptr for if they are not getting data from it to actually test their changes. Its NOT that maybe the damage needed to be pared down, but the fact that they do all of this testing and STILL cant get the crap straight?

    The changes are getting old, as in its tiring to try to keep up with the myriad of changes because someone simply is not doing their job analyzing data well enough to actually get it right the first time. As some other posters have commented, it really does seem like they dropped the ball in a major way with Cataclysm. They're all over the place trying to fix a tooltip here, dps there. Then finding that the tooltips or the dps fix or the tank fix (druid) wasnt needed and that they simply have no clue what the hell they are doing.
  1. dope_danny's Avatar
    Man they really don't want us playing unholy dk's? I'm getting flashbacks to the great 'make ret boring' patches of 2010...
  1. Profyrion's Avatar
    One of those fan arts is a ripoff of a previous piece by another artist.

    ss1241.jpg

    Blizzard removed it from the gallery. Check blue tracker.
  1. Alanar's Avatar
    go nerf warriors ffs
  1. deepred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammonoske View Post
    In other news, the second image (after the DK Kratos) is being removed due to the so called artist failing at stealing an other persons work. Here is the original.
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/communi...p=warcraft#760
    I knew something didn't look quite right with that pic - it felt rather shoe-horned to me.
  1. maplesyrupgl's Avatar
    Kratos is in the Warcraft Universe? Learn something new every day.

Site Navigation