MMO-Champion - Patch 4.1 Preview -- Dungeon Finder: Call to Arms
Patch 4.1 Preview -- Dungeon Finder: Call to Arms
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
In patch 4.1 we'll be introducing Dungeon Finder: Call to Arms, a new system intended to lower queue times. Call to Arms will automatically detect which class role is currently the least represented in the queue, and offer them additional rewards for entering the Dungeon Finder queue and completing a random level-85 Heroic dungeon.

Any time the Dungeon Finder queue is longer than a few minutes for level-85 Heroics, the Call to Arms system kicks in and determines which role is the least represented. In the case of tanking being the least represented role, the "Call to Arms: Tanks" icon will display in the Dungeon Finder UI menu where class roles are selected, and will also display on the UI when the queue pops and you are selected to enter a dungeon. Regardless of your role, you'll always be able to see which role currently has been Called to Arms, if any.

Call to Arms is meant to lower wait times by offering additional rewards for queuing as the currently least represented role. To be eligible for the additional rewards you must solo queue for a random level-85 Heroic in the role that is currently being Called to Arms, and complete the dungeon by killing the final boss. Every time you hit these requirements (there is no daily limit) you'll receive a goodie bag that will contain some gold, a chance at a rare gem, a chance at a flask/elixir (determined by spec), a good chance of receiving a non-combat pet (including cross faction pets), and a very rare chance at receiving a mount. The pets offered come from a wide variety of sources, and include companions like the Razzashi Hatchling, Cockatiel, and Tiny Sporebat, but the mounts are those specifically only available through dungeons (not raids), like the Reins of the Raven Lord from Sethekk Halls, Swift White Hawkstrider from Magister's Terrace, and Deathcharger's Reins from Stratholme.

This system is meant to address the unacceptable queue times currently being experienced by those that queue for the DPS role at max level. The long queue times are, of course, caused by a very simple lack of representation in the Dungeon Finder by tanks, and to some extent healers. We don't feel the tanking and healing roles have any inherent issues that are causing the representation disparity, except that fulfilling them carries more responsibility. Understandably, players prefer to take on that responsibility in more organized situations than what the Dungeon Finder offers, but perhaps we can bribe them a little. While this system gives tanks and healers something extra, the incentive is being provided so that we can help players in the DPS role get into more dungeons, get better gear, and continue progressing.

While the gold, gems, flasks, and elixirs are OK incentives, we knew we needed something more substantial. We had briefly considered Valor Points and epics, but decided that wouldn't be working toward the goal of helping DPS players progress, and ultimately wouldn't keep tanks and healers in the Dungeon Finder system for very long. We settled on pets and dungeon-found mounts as they’re cosmetic/achievement items that players tend to try to get on their own, so why not change that up and offer them a chance to get some of those elusive pets and mounts in a way that also helps other players? Even if they don't get a pet or mount, or get one they already have, the gold and other goodies still feel rewarding enough that it won't feel like a waste of effort.

We think it's a pretty solid incentive to get tanks and healers queuing, give max-level players another way to collect the pets and mounts they so desire, and above all, to improve wait times for DPS players sitting in queues. In the case of lower level dungeons, it's actually not uncommon for DPS to be the least represented role, and so if this new system works out and we're pleased with the results, we may consider applying this same mechanic to lower level dungeons as well.
This article was originally published in forum thread: Patch 4.1 Preview -- Dungeon Finder: Call to Arms started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 1871 Comments
  1. Night fall's Avatar
    You know it will happen. There will be people with no business tanking coming out of the woodwork for these mounts and pets. I can't wait to see what kind of noob tanks we get now only tanking to get the cosmetics.
  1. Enchanter's Avatar
    BOOO! Now dps have even more of a punishment. I'd rather have longer ques and the rewards be even than to have tanks or healers even further rewarded outside of their near instant que times. Bad fix and to those of you who say "role a tank/healer hur dur" well I rolled dps because I'm good at it and I enjoy it most (I've played all 3 rolls btw).
  1. Drekmar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enchanter View Post
    BOOO! Now dps have even more of a punishment. I'd rather have longer ques and the rewards be even than to have tanks or healers even further rewarded outside of their near instant que times. Bad fix and to those of you who say "role a tank/healer hur dur" well I rolled dps because I'm good at it and I enjoy it most (I've played all 3 rolls btw).
    You enjoy DPS, then wait in queue and dont complain.
  1. Khaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enchanter View Post
    BOOO! Now dps have even more of a punishment. I'd rather have longer ques and the rewards be even than to have tanks or healers even further rewarded outside of their near instant que times. Bad fix and to those of you who say "role a tank/healer hur dur" well I rolled dps because I'm good at it and I enjoy it most (I've played all 3 rolls btw).
    go farm for ur mounts, will u?
  1. Diurdi's Avatar
    Talk about fixing the symptom and ignoring the disease.

    The real problem is much deeper with tanks/healers being much harder to play than DPS.
    This will merely cause tanks to refuse queing with friends, gold/gem inflation at the expense of DPS/Healers.
    In the long run however this will solve nothing, except to make the system just a bit more complicated.
  1. jaksan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enchanter View Post
    BOOO! Now dps have even more of a punishment. I'd rather have longer ques and the rewards be even than to have tanks or healers even further rewarded outside of their near instant que times. Bad fix and to those of you who say "role a tank/healer hur dur" well I rolled dps because I'm good at it and I enjoy it most (I've played all 3 rolls btw).
    HOW IS THIS A PNUSHMENT FOR DPS? HOW IN GODS NAME CAN YOU SAY THAT?
    Are you losing anything on this? NO
    Are you getting hurt because of this? NO
    THIS IS NO PUNISHMENT FOR DPS. THIS IS A COOKIE FOR LESSER PLAYED ROLES SO THEY CAN BE PLAYED MORE
    IN TOTAL EVERYONE GAINS BECAUSE DPS GET SHORTER QUEUES. TANKS GET SOMETHING EXTRA
    In caps so you can understand.
  1. Kryos's Avatar
    I am a tank/caster hybrid and already collected all mounts and pets mentioned. So you need to come up with another bribe to make me tank pugs...
  1. Sindy's Avatar
    Why not make it so that if a tank queue's up and gets the benefit, the whole group gets it as well? Sounds logical to me.
  1. Mandingo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fasti View Post
    I guess there won't be any bonus to anyone after queues are equal for everyone : )
    Bingo. That sums it all up.
  1. Drekmar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaksan View Post
    HOW IS THIS A PNUSHMENT FOR DPS? HOW IN GODS NAME CAN YOU SAY THAT?
    Are you losing anything on this? NO
    Are you getting hurt because of this? NO
    THIS IS NO PUNISHMENT FOR DPS. THIS IS A COOKIE FOR LESSER PLAYED ROLES SO THEY CAN BE PLAYED MORE
    IN TOTAL EVERYONE GAINS BECAUSE DPS GET SHORTER QUEUES. TANKS GET SOMETHING EXTRA
    In caps so you can understand.
    They wont understand it even in caps.
  1. beingmused's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heltoray View Post
    i don't approve of this.
    Getting more stuff just because you're a tank is really unfair.
    Having to wait 30 minutes to start a heroic is really unfair. Wanting to deny an improvement to the system via rewarding those who take up the least popular role because YOU don't get a shiny pony out of it (except faster queue times) is also unfair.

    And I don't like rare mounts given away for no effort at all. At least now only the people who farm them actually have them. Making farmable rare mounts common is just making the game more unattractive than it has already become (at least for me)
    No effort? You must have incredible luck with the pugs you get.
    If a smart idea is making the game unattractive (despite not affecting you at all, except positively), then that's your own insane burden to bear.
  1. implicationmmo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enchanter View Post
    BOOO! Now dps have even more of a punishment. I'd rather have longer ques and the rewards be even than to have tanks or healers even further rewarded outside of their near instant que times. Bad fix and to those of you who say "role a tank/healer hur dur" well I rolled dps because I'm good at it and I enjoy it most (I've played all 3 rolls btw).
    Stop looking at the glass half empty and look at it half full.

    Life is much better when you look at the positive side on things!
  1. GhostSkull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tordenflesk View Post
    I'm guessing everyone will just leave and re-join the queue until their CtA pops. great...
    Yeah, why would a tank "waste" a run without CtA? They'll self-regulate so that they get the benefit. I don't know if that is a critical problem, but we shouldn't pretend that it will be open to any role. It is a tank benefit gained by healers only when tanks fail their class-consciousness check. Which is unlikely.
  1. Khaw's Avatar
    Wrong move, Blizzard. You should have implemented a new community.
  1. Ringkeeper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Talk about fixing the symptom and ignoring the disease.

    The real problem is much deeper with tanks/healers being much harder to play than DPS.
    This will merely cause tanks to refuse queing with friends, gold/gem inflation at the expense of DPS/Healers.
    In the long run however this will solve nothing, except to make the system just a bit more complicated.

    This and nothing else.. why should i take my Tank to heros ? For what? For all the stress in pugs ? No thanks, tanking only for guild.

    DPS in PUGs , yeah. Even if you cc , dont do stupid stuff and take care its much easier and relaxed then tanking.

    They should rather give more tanking abillities back to pets and other classes , would make this stuff easier (a hunter pet can easy tank heros with a good healer.. did it already several times).
  1. implicationmmo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindy View Post
    Why not make it so that if a tank queue's up and gets the benefit, the whole group gets it as well? Sounds logical to me.
    Because then, you are not solving the problem of long waiting times.

    Stop losing the point of the change.
  1. Troghdor's Avatar
    This will be good and bad. People who have never tanked a day in their lives will be tanking with horrible gear and no knowledge of threat control just to get the additional rewards. It will shorten the queue times but at what cost?
  1. Rinnegan's Avatar
    best thread-response today/ever:

    "so...what's in for the dpses?"

    /still laughing
  1. Khaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Troghdor View Post
    This will be good and bad. People who have never tanked a day in their lives will be tanking with horrible gear and no knowledge of threat control just to get the additional rewards. It will shorten the queue times but at what cost?
    Well, im confident that if they're screwing up big time they will leave. It's called humiliation!
  1. lios's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrisUy View Post
    I usually solo queue as a tank when I feel like doing a heroic (after prospecting and reposting my auctions) but now when I'm done with that I have an incentive to wait a little longer to enter the queue. Why would I solo queue as a tank if Call to Arms isn't active? So now we have dps and healers waiting in the queue and tanks waiting outside the queue.
    If you are not called to arms, it means there are plenty of tanks to fill the groups, so you are not needed. Doesn't matter that you don't queue when you are not called, does it? When you are not called, there is a shortage of healers or dps (very unlikely) and every time one of those join, there is already a tank waiting for them.

    Good luck not queueing and thinking it matters

Site Navigation