MMO-Champion - Cross-Realm Dungeon Feature Coming Soon
Cross-Realm Dungeon Feature Coming Soon
Originally Posted by Slorkuz (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
With the continued popularity of the Dungeon Finder, many players have been asking for a way to group up with real-life friends who play on other realms to take on instances together. Today, we wanted to give you a heads up about a new feature currently in development that will allow players to invite Real ID friends of the same faction to a party regardless of the realm they play on, and then queue up for a 5-player regular or Heroic dungeon.

As this is a fairly complex service to develop, we don’t have a release date to share quite yet. It’s important to note that as with some of the other convenience- and connectivity-oriented features we offer, certain elements of the cross-realm Real ID party system will be premium-based, though only the player sending the invitations will need to have access to the premium service. We'll have more details to share with you as development progresses -- in the meantime, you may begin to see elements of the feature appear on the World of Warcraft PTR.
This article was originally published in forum thread: Cross-Realm Dungeon Feature Coming Soon started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 1789 Comments
  1. Tinykong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodeo View Post
    How so? Does your cable get cheaper every year? It costs money to run a company. You paid for a FRACTION of what cata cost to make when you got it, but you didnt pay for 4.1 or 4.2 or anything else. $15 per month is a tiny expense for the amount of features and content blizzard rolls out. And on top of that, they employ the best in the business.

    If you dont like that you have to pay for this, dont use it. If playing with your friends was so important, youd have swapped servers by now (and spent the money). If blizzard never posted this you would have nothing to bitch about, so pretend they didnt.
    $49.99 is a fraction of the cost to provide the content they did? If that's the case, why all the revamped content?

    Most games are $49.99-59.99 and include an entire game engine, sometimes built from the ground up, often times a free and robust multiplayer experience, and sometimes even include free updates. Wow has been on the same engine since release, and has only seen new models and zones. They aren't re-inventing the wheel.
  1. Ranor's Avatar
    You people love fallacies, don't you?

    There -is- such thing as a middle ground, I'm not sure if you've ever realized this.
  1. Knirps's Avatar
    roflmao...

    'premium based'

    That's a whole bad direction I don't even want to think about.

    What's next, 'premium' teir? Pets? Mounts? Spells? Classes?

    Fuck off, Blizzard.
  1. Miahpants's Avatar
    It makes it sound as if they have designed a system that encourages fighting with your friends over who should pay for the privilege to play together.

    My advice: scrap the premium requirement for this single feature, or make all RealID features a premium service.
  1. guitar3544's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranor View Post
    If Blizzard ever implements a paid feature that ACTUALLY impacts gameplay and gives some players the upperhand over others, then people have a basis for complaint. Until that day, this is just a bunch of needless whining from people who seem to have a strong sense of entitlement.
    Yes yes, we know. Entitlement is your favorite word. You've said the same thing how many times over this thread?

    The bitching is coming mostly because this is a slippery slope. Mounts are one thing, but this is a change that directly changes the core gameplay (or can, with cash!). This opens the door for a ton of other paid in-game features. It's not far off before core mechanics are pay for use. Auction house? Sure! $2 a month extra please. etc.
  1. drakonblayde's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miahpants View Post
    It makes it sound as if they have designed a system that encourages fighting with your friends over who should pay for the privilege to play together.

    My advice: scrap the premium requirement for this single feature, or make all RealID features a premium service.
    That's probably the most sensible answer I've seen to this. Lump all the RealID content into a premium package, and call it a day. Then there's no gameplay advantage, just interactivity bonus features.
  1. StoNe220022's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    I'm willing to bet that implementing this feature with the RDF and RID (given the features that are already in the game) required next to nothing new at all.
    ^^^ This

    We already used to time specific normal instance queuing, my brother as a healer on Frostmourne, I as tank on Barthilas...and we'd happen to join the same instance. Once we were paired up x-realm, and the 15 min cool down was up, we kept tapping the random button and farmed some heroics together....was fun
  1. Cows For Life's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guitar3544 View Post
    Yes yes, we know. Entitlement is your favorite word. You've said the same thing how many times over this thread?

    The bitching is coming mostly because this is a slippery slope. Mounts are one thing, but this is a change that directly changes the core gameplay (or can, with cash!). This opens the door for a ton of other paid in-game features. It's not far off before core mechanics are pay for use. Auction house? Sure! $2 a month extra please. etc.
    The slippery slope actually started a while ago. I think it might have been when they allowed people to pay to transfer from PVE->PVP.
  1. Entaaro's Avatar
    why do different realms even exist anymore :S (rhetorical, exaggerated statement - refrain from commenting)
  1. crakerjack's Avatar
    Not sure why people are getting mad, you DON'T have to use this. You could just level a toon on your friends realm, or they could do the same thing. It's really not that hard. If you really want to play with friends, level a toon or xfer one of your toons. "Herpdy Derp, i have a life and can't do that" 95% of everyone who plays wow spends more than half their time in trade doing nothing, trust me, i do it too. As long as they don't increase the monthly fee, i don't care what they do.
  1. Maklor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranor View Post
    You people love fallacies, don't you?

    There -is- such thing as a middle ground, I'm not sure if you've ever realized this.
    You do know that reading this thread is optional right
  1. Xatrian's Avatar
    I notice an interesting pattern, it's always new children who joined during WotLK that support this shit, you never see someone defending this crap with a sig linking to a character with a classic PvP title or anything.

    So not only do these new retards ruin the community by being brain dead farmville players in the game, but they also make sure Blizzard keeps releasing shit like this "premium" service.
  1. Vehemence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eerokhi View Post
    Wow Silver account
    Wow Gold account
    Wow Platinum account



    Complex feature my ass, this should have done years ago

    FUCKING ACTI-BLIZZARD!!!!!!!!!
  1. Ranor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guitar3544 View Post
    Yes yes, we know. Entitlement is your favorite word. You've said the same thing how many times over this thread?

    The bitching is coming mostly because this is a slippery slope. Mounts are one thing, but this is a change that directly changes the core gameplay (or can, with cash!). This opens the door for a ton of other paid in-game features. It's not far off before core mechanics are pay for use. Auction house? Sure! $2 a month extra please. etc.
    Entitlement IS my favorite word because this is -exactly what it is-.

    Nothing more, nothing less. You can keep on going with your flawed logic and keep shouting slippery slope as if you actually know what it means. You'll still be wrong regardless.

    you do know that reading this thread is optional right
    Sure. I could just leave this thread and let you guys whine and cry over pointless things, or I can knock some sense into you so that you stop crying and don't ruin a good thing for those who are looking forward to this feature because a few kiddies with ENTITLEMENT issues couldn't get their way.
  1. Skizzit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nozyk View Post
    What? You used the wrong example; it's like paying for admission at an amusement park, and then paying to ride the roller coaster.
    Actually it is more like paying for admission to an amusement park and then once you are already in, they offer you a premium pass that lets you jump to the front of the line for all the rides. You don't have to buy it to enjoy the rides, it is just an added service to make it easier to enjoy the rides.

    BTW, many amusement parks so have a service just like this.
  1. Xatrian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranor View Post
    Entitlement IS my favorite word because this is -exactly what it is-.

    Nothing more, nothing less. You can keep on going with your flawed logic and keep shouting slippery slope as if you actually know what it means. You'll still be wrong regardless.
    Actually, it's your favourite word because you still haven't been able to form a coherent argument, so you just repeat yourself endlessly, probably with your fingers in your ears screaming I CANT HEAR YOU I CANT HEAR YOU.
  1. Zimx08's Avatar
    The way they announce it seems very sleazy.

    "We've created such an awesome thing for you to use! You'll love it! But there is.. *ahem* a small.. uhm.. issue of compensation ofc.. heh heh."

    Just makes me picture a dirty con artist trying to sell you wish granting water. (okay bit of an exaggeration as this feature would actually do something, but still)
  1. Scratches's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodeo View Post
    The number is irrelevant. From brainstorm to the next xpac, the expenses in time and resources blow the sales income out of the water.
    Sorry, bro, but you don't know a bit of what you're talking about.

    The number is relevant, because you made it relevant; you brought it up. But, in order to help you out here, I'll toss some perspective into this mix.
    Being conservative with all my numbers here; let's say it cost Blizzard $60M to create, market, and ship Cataclysm, and that because of retail markup Blizzard also only saw a return of $30 per copy sold (not considering collectors editions or D.D. copies (which have higher profit margins, obviously). And let's do some simple math here with the 4M copies sold, and that alone is $120M in revenue. The beautiful thing is, though, that that's not even how it works... Blizzard makes their dime when the chains order their copies to sell, so if there are still 2M collective copies of Cataclysm sitting on store shelves around the world, that's an additional 2M copies that Blizzard sold and already made money on -- an additional $60M.

    And, obviously, that's just box sales -- not even talking about subscription profits. It's not rocket science.

    As a point of comparison for how conservative my numbers really are, Both Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto IV both cost approximately $100M to make, Sega's Shenmue cost $70M, and EA reportedly threw $80M into Star Wars: The Old Republic.
  1. bloodwine77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranor View Post
    If Blizzard ever implements a paid feature that ACTUALLY impacts gameplay and gives some players the upperhand over others, then people have a basis for complaint. Until that day, this is just a bunch of needless whining from people who seem to have a strong sense of entitlement.
    Another poster made a good point. Blizzard is very slowly increasing the water temperature and by the time we realize that we are in boiling water it will be too late. They are slowly inching towards actually giving people who pay extra a better gaming experience than those who pay the standard fee. They are doing it so slowly that by the time they actually do introduce something that gives an advantage to those who pay, then the Blizzard apologists will come out and say, "Blizzard has been charging extra for extra features for years. This isn't much more than they have already been doing. Where have you been? Why didn't you say something earlier?"
  1. Ranor's Avatar
    Telling somebody that they have entitlement issues is pretty solid, really. That's all there is to it.

    Up until this point, and past this point, Blizzard has not implemented any paid services that impact gameplay in -ANY- form. 98% of every post in this thread is irrational and "WAA I WANT THIS GIVE IT TO ME I PAY YOU $15 A MONTH".

    There's not much more to argue. If you don't want to pay for it, don't pay for it. Your day to day life won't suffer for it. If you want to play with your friends so badly, reroll alts, server transfer(lolpremiumservices), do whatever it is you want to do. Blizzard is simply adding another option for players to interact with their friends in a way that they otherwise wouldn't have.

    What's that? You can run a 5 man with your friends on another server? This obviously means that there will be paid only raids and paid only gear and OBVIOUSLY Blizzard is going to turn this into a PREMIUM ACCOUNT DOMINATES ALL type game.

    People have been shouting end of the world and slippery slope since forever, and people are just hopping onto the bandwagon here.

Site Navigation