MMO-Champion - Cross-Realm Dungeon Feature Coming Soon
Cross-Realm Dungeon Feature Coming Soon
Originally Posted by Slorkuz (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
With the continued popularity of the Dungeon Finder, many players have been asking for a way to group up with real-life friends who play on other realms to take on instances together. Today, we wanted to give you a heads up about a new feature currently in development that will allow players to invite Real ID friends of the same faction to a party regardless of the realm they play on, and then queue up for a 5-player regular or Heroic dungeon.

As this is a fairly complex service to develop, we don’t have a release date to share quite yet. It’s important to note that as with some of the other convenience- and connectivity-oriented features we offer, certain elements of the cross-realm Real ID party system will be premium-based, though only the player sending the invitations will need to have access to the premium service. We'll have more details to share with you as development progresses -- in the meantime, you may begin to see elements of the feature appear on the World of Warcraft PTR.
This article was originally published in forum thread: Cross-Realm Dungeon Feature Coming Soon started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 1789 Comments
  1. Super Dee's Avatar
    What kinda bullshit is blizzard trying to pull now? Paying...for this!! No thank you.
  1. drakonblayde's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleena View Post
    This is the first time they've ever released a base gameplay service and decided to charge players for it. It's akin to charging cash for respecs, regems, reenchants, or removing rez sickness like Allods tried and it killed them. One of their core principles has been to ensure that in regards to gameplay, money does not become an issue that directly differentiates one player from the next. Making this service premium expressly violates that, and fyi, I already cancelled by subscription earlier today.
    You're overstating it. This basically gives you the ability to do pre-made randoms with cross-realm people. And they're not even requiring everyone to pay up for it, only one person is required to. This grants absolutely no game changing edge. I'd honestly say that remote auction house is more game changing than this.

    There is a HUGE difference between not being able to regem my gear without paying a monthly fee, than there is in being able to queue with my buddy on another realm. The on affects my ability to play the game on a fundamental level. The other just has the potential to smooth out the quality of my in game time because my buddy is probably better than some random fool we get off LFD (unless my buddy's been drinking, in which case, bring on the random newb!)

    Lose the melodramatic crap if you want to be taken seriously.
  1. Gurbz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleena View Post
    This is the first time they've ever released a base gameplay service and decided to charge players for it.
    But it's NOT a gameplay service. Not having it does not effect your ability to play the game in any way. If only affects who you can choose to play it with. If they were charging $5 to enter dungeons, I would agree with you.

    I guess I just don't get it. I don't care if the service is free or if it costs $10 for each invite you want to send out, because either way I am not going to use it. All my friends are on the same server as I am.

    I pay $15/month to log onto WoW and play the game, exactly like I did for the first time when I signed up 5 years ago. That's the service I signed up for, nothing else. In my mind, this is a completely new service offered by Blizzard, that exists as an addition to my (already paid for) ability to log in and play WoW. If I don't pay for it, I can still log in and play WoW exactly the same way I did before this service existed, so expecting said service to be included at no additional charge, to me, seems unrealistic. In my mind, it would be like me expecting Blizzard to include access to their new MMO whenever it releases as part of my WoW subscription. Blizzard having a new MMO would have just as much impact on my ability to log in and play WoW as any of the premium services do.
  1. DMCDante's Avatar
    Kind of meh you have to pay for something like this would have been awesome otherwise.
  1. runeb1980@hotmail.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supraah View Post
    Here's something you should have gotten years ago, AND we are charging you for it.
    Love Blizzard.
    ACTIVISION blizzard
  1. Kaeleena's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drakonblayde View Post
    You're overstating it. This basically gives you the ability to do pre-made randoms with cross-realm people. And they're not even requiring everyone to pay up for it, only one person is required to. This grants absolutely no game changing edge. I'd honestly say that remote auction house is more game changing than this.

    There is a HUGE difference between not being able to regem my gear without paying a monthly fee, than there is in being able to queue with my buddy on another realm. The on affects my ability to play the game on a fundamental level. The other just has the potential to smooth out the quality of my in game time because my buddy is probably better than some random fool we get off LFD (unless my buddy's been drinking, in which case, bring on the random newb!)

    Lose the melodramatic crap if you want to be taken seriously.
    Yeah well, first they came for your cross realm invites, and you did nothing. Then they came for your respecs, and you did nothing. Then they came for your regems, and you did nothing. Then they came for your rez sickness, and you did nothing because they were already charging you for every feature of a game you were already paying a monthly subscription fee to play. Your view of how gamebreakingly different this is from remote guild chat and remote AH is myopic. Once they charge you for this, what's to stop them from charging you for everything else you consider a "convenience" in the game? Teleportation to instances? Flight paths? This is just the first step.

    You're understating it.
  1. Henry7212's Avatar
    You know, when games are six years old they move towards free to play, not ****ing premium user crap...
  1. drakonblayde's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleena View Post
    They owe their players no more than they've said they were offering in the past and this is a direct violation of those things they claimed to offer.
    Really? Is that in the licensing agreement?

    If it's not, then you're wrong. You may feel that way, but that probably wouldn't hold up terribly well in a court of law.

    They also used to push the line about hybrid taxes being ok, and paladins and druids should shut up and heal instead of trying to do other things, and so on. I demand we go back to the vanilla style of spec'ing! Get rid of dual spec! Paladins and druids, shut up and heal! Raids need to be redesigned to require 8 tanks again! Sorry DPS warriors, you need to go respec to prot!

    After all, Blizzard said that was their design, and changing it to the system we have right now is a direct violation of what they stated they wanted!

    Do you see how foolish the melodrama sounds?

    Blizzard wants to make some bank. It's your choice whether or not they get any of it from you. You sound surprised and outraged that a for profit company would pursue lines of profit. This is not a charity, this is not a government service. They're not your friends, either.

    I'm honestly surprised that they haven't done MORE of this. There are so many other ways they could nickel and dime their users, and get away with it, because the majority of the wow player base are unabashed addicts who simply cannot quit and stay quit.

    I am a capitalist. I fully support Blizzard's right to make money. If I feel they've stepped over the line, I won't give them anymore. Because no matter how many unkind words I may want to say about them over the internet, nothing drives home your point like silence and a lack of payment.
  1. Gurbz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleena View Post
    Yeah well, first they came for your cross realm invites, and you did nothing. Then they came for your respecs, and you did nothing. Then they came for your regems, and you did nothing. Then they came for your rez sickness, and you did nothing because they were already charging you for every feature of a game you were already paying a monthly subscription fee to play. Your view of how gamebreakingly different this is from remote guild chat and remote AH is myopic. Once they charge you for this, what's to stop them from charging you for everything else you consider a "convenience" in the game? Teleportation to instances? Flight paths? This is just the first step.

    You're understating it.
    The difference between this and everything else you mention is that this is an addition, a wholly new feature. They are not adding a cost to something we can already do, which would be wrong. And if they ever tried that, I would be right there with you lighting torches and handing out pitchforks. So yes, you are exaggerating a "slippery slope" argument (which is a logical fallacy, by the way) just to make this sound far more insidious than it really is.
  1. Kaeleena's Avatar
    Blizzard has specifically stated in the past that they don't want money to alter/affect gameplay. This is money altering/affecting gameplay. Plain and simple. If you can't see that, there's no talking to you. I'll be voting with my wallet this month just like many other people will. I assure you this will be a bane to them rather than a boon and they won't make a single dime from this gimmick that's a gross violation of their mission statement.

    Dual spec, gems, and teleportation to instances were all new features at one time or another. How are those "new" gameplay "conveniences" any different from this one? They're not.
  1. doesnotcare's Avatar
    blizzard hopes to retain subs with the new "premium system"
    "premium" requires additional payment
    my reaction was as follows:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiGIQrt1IaE
  1. dragonx's Avatar
    wouldnt suprise me if blizzard made premium points where u can buy shit for your players like microsoft points on xbox it really doesnt suprise me.tbh activision is crap its a virus company and they make terrible games cod4 being the only decent one they made, soon blizz will sell gold on there website and maybe old gear too so t12 is out soon you can buy full t10/11 for £75 it will be delivered instantly to your mail box
  1. bloodwine77's Avatar
    First vanity items, then mobile access, and now the ability to form LFD groups a certain way. Blizzard is getting closer and closer to affecting gameplay depending on how much you pay them.

    Personally, I think they have things backwards and a lot of people have been asking for the ability to form random groups with only people on their own realm. This is the first I've heard of people asking to form Real ID parties.

    I don't know if Activision is to blame for all these extra "premium" services, but I really don't like it.

    Also, Blizzard should worry about why they are shedding hundreds of thousands of customers and find ways to lower their churn rate instead of finding ways to milk their remaining customer base (which is going to keep shrinking as long as they waste time on bone headed features such as this).
  1. drakonblayde's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleena View Post
    Yeah well, first they came for your cross realm invites, and you did nothing. Then they came for your respecs, and you did nothing. Then they came for your regems, and you did nothing. Then they came for your rez sickness, and you did nothing because they were already charging you for every feature of a game you were already paying a monthly subscription fee to play.
    Your view of how gamebreakingly different this is from remote guild chat and remote AH is myopic. Once they charge you for this, what's to stop them from charging you for everything else you consider a "convenience" in the game? Teleportation to instances? Flight paths? This is just the first step.

    You're understating it.
    No, I'm not. You're overstating it, AGAIN. This is not a struggle for basic human freedom. This is not a struggle for individual rights. The only way this could possibly exist in the vein you're imagining it is if they put a gun to my head and forced me to pay out every single month. I *always* have the choice to walk away. So If they come for my respecs, and I do nothing, it's because I chose to do nothing.

    You seriously need to get away from the game if you actually think like what I've quoted above. You sound dangerously close to advocating activism because of a service in a game. Not only is that insulting to all of the people who DO stand up for their rights in the face of oppression, it also makes you come across as just a wee bit unstable.

    I honestly have to wonder if you put this much effort into aspects of your life that actually matter.
  1. Polarthief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eerokhi View Post
    Wow Silver account
    Wow Gold account
    Wow Platinum account
    loplololololoololololol
  1. Televators's Avatar
    I am dumbfounded that they'd make an in-game grouping mechanism premium. I was *so* happy to see the announcement and then twice as shocked to see it would be a paid service. Zero percent chance I will ever spend a dime on something like this when I've already paid SO much money to Blizz for things like their supremely overpriced character services. Really disappointing.
  1. Kaeleena's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drakonblayde View Post
    No, I'm not. You're overstating it, AGAIN. This is not a struggle for basic human freedom. This is not a struggle for individual rights. The only way this could possibly exist in the vein you're imagining it is if they put a gun to my head and forced me to pay out every single month. I *always* have the choice to walk away. So If they come for my respecs, and I do nothing, it's because I chose to do nothing.

    You seriously need to get away from the game if you actually think like what I've quoted above. You sound dangerously close to advocating activism because of a service in a game. Not only is that insulting to all of the people who DO stand up for their rights in the face of oppression, it also makes you come across as just a wee bit unstable.

    I honestly have to wonder if you put this much effort into aspects of your life that actually matter.
    I work hard for my money just like many other people who play World of Warcraft and the game is not only an investment of my time, it's also an investment of my money, and when I feel either one of those are being taken advantage of, I generally look elsewhere for greener pastures. I haven't liked this direction this game has been going for a while and I don't want it to go the direction of the dodo like so many similar games. If they're only expecting to sell this feature to small portion of the player base, I'm all for them raising the subscription price of the game a dollar or two and offering it to everyone for free. What I'm completely against is them offering the service as a premium addon that affects gameplay for certain users to give them a more elite user status than everyone else. My subscription fee shouldn't cover anymore or any less than your subscription fee covers and you shouldn't be able to "opt-in" with a larger subscription fee to get gameplay perks and coming from a company that has advocated against that since before World of Warcraft even launched, I find it degrading and appalling that they think they can get away with this stupidity now.
  1. Shmiles's Avatar
    For those people having a massive f@#$ing whinge, get stuffed. If you're complaining it's the end of WoW and you're about to quit, get stuffed. I honestly don't care and I'm so sick of you kids bashing WoW because your parents won't give you a little extra money to get paid services.
    And no, I do not use the remote AH/guild chat. But yes, I have bought the mount.
    People were complaining about the $3 for mobile AH, its THREE DOLLARS. It's the price of a Coke. The price of this will most likely be under $10 which is a little more than the price of a drink when you go out (if some of you go out drinking). The fact remains that WoW for me is the CHEAPEST night of entertainment i can have with .50c entertaining me for the entire day.

    Love,
    Shmiles.

    P.s If you've said you've quit and this is reaffirming why you're not coming back, go delete your mmo-champ account, because we don't want you here.
  1. Tempeste's Avatar
    Most free to play MMOs, or MMOs that don't charge a monthly fee but require box purchase offer services and cosmetic items for a fee because it helps them to keep servers running and pay their employees. When you charge a monthly fee, you do not need the money from micro transactions to keep the game going, there are hundreds of free MMOs out there who have been going on with only micro transactions alone since forever. This is just extra money in Blizzard's pocket, and the worst part is they probably will not put any of it or only a small amount of it towards developing new things in WoW.
  1. Gurbz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleena View Post
    I work hard for my money just like many other people who play World of Warcraft and the game is not only an investment of my time, it's also an investment of my money, and when I feel either one of those are being taken advantage of, I generally look elsewhere for greener pastures. I haven't liked this direction this game has been going for a while and I don't want it to go the direction of the dodo like so many similar games. If they're only expecting to sell this feature to small portion of the player base, I'm all for them raising the subscription price of the game a dollar or two and offering it to everyone for free. What I'm completely against is them offering the service as a premium addon that affects gameplay for certain users to give them a more elite user status than everyone else. My subscription fee shouldn't cover anymore or any less than your subscription fee covers and you shouldn't be able to "opt-in" with a larger subscription fee to get gameplay perks and coming from a company that has advocated against that since before World of Warcraft even launched, I find it degrading and appalling that they think they can get away with this stupidity now.
    Ok, lets say they do raise the subscription fee. Why should I, as someone who would not make use of this service at all, have to suddenly pay more? That would cause even more outrage than them charging only those that use it, because I am willing to bet that there are a lot more people who have no use for this feature than those that will use it.

    Also, once again, it is NOT a gameplay perk. It does not effect gameplay AT ALL. Only who you can play the game with.

Site Navigation