MMO-Champion - Cross-Realm Dungeon Feature Coming Soon
Cross-Realm Dungeon Feature Coming Soon
Originally Posted by Slorkuz (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
With the continued popularity of the Dungeon Finder, many players have been asking for a way to group up with real-life friends who play on other realms to take on instances together. Today, we wanted to give you a heads up about a new feature currently in development that will allow players to invite Real ID friends of the same faction to a party regardless of the realm they play on, and then queue up for a 5-player regular or Heroic dungeon.

As this is a fairly complex service to develop, we don’t have a release date to share quite yet. It’s important to note that as with some of the other convenience- and connectivity-oriented features we offer, certain elements of the cross-realm Real ID party system will be premium-based, though only the player sending the invitations will need to have access to the premium service. We'll have more details to share with you as development progresses -- in the meantime, you may begin to see elements of the feature appear on the World of Warcraft PTR.
This article was originally published in forum thread: Cross-Realm Dungeon Feature Coming Soon started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 1789 Comments
  1. Skizzit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggetmagic View Post
    Besides the obvious rerolling to said server, realize this isn't playing with any other player, its running dungeons with any other player.
    Ok. What other MMOs allow you to run a dungeon with any other player regardless of the server/realm/shard they are on?
  1. Injin's Avatar
    Very useful for hardcore guilds wanting to screen people from other realms and those who want to apply to guilds on other realms without paying the transfer fee speculatively.

    The problem being in a more general sense that this sort of thing is corporate americas favourite way of milking something successful (until it dies.) First there are fees for non core, very tangential stuff, then the frog starts getting boiled by degrees. Before you know it, pretty much everything you sed to get as standard costs real money and the business you once knew and loved is gone, their service sucks and it's time to move on.

    GG activision, i'm not leaving on this one but I know where this is going.
  1. Kaeleena's Avatar
    No Ranor, the real problem is you don't see how ridiculous you're being, allowing them to charge you to play a game and then thinking it's all fine and dandy for them to charge you for individual features inside of a game you already bought the box for and you already paid the monthly fee for access for. The only 2 things that are ridiculous in this forum is Blizzard's attitude to their paying subscribers and your unfettered loyalty to their unadulterated greed and going back on everything they ever claimed to be.
  1. Skizzit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    Eve and GW are the two I most often play now a days and both of them are ancient and have that feature. GW you simply click on a scroll menu to change servers and go through a load screen. Eve is a bit of a cop out in that they have everyone on one server (now that is an MMO with a capitol first M)
    As you said, Eve has only one server. They also do not have dungeons. As for GW, I never played the game myself but from what I have read about it or heard from other players, isn't the majority of the game instanced? Like in town you see other players running around but as soon as you go out into the wild or in a dungeon, you are separated into you own instance with whom ever you grouped with. In that regard it sounds more like an FPS multiplayer game. The town is like the waiting room where you put together you group and then an instance server is set up for your group. I could be totally wrong, but still that is one game. And I would be willing to bet that Blizzard includes many features in WoW that are not in GW.
  1. Pappahealar's Avatar
    So Blizzard doesn't want people to make money out of their games by developing addons that cost money.
    And taking money for "premium service" on such addons such as TukUI. http://www.tukui.org/blog/33

    And now they will be starting to make premium services for their own game and some inbuilt "addon" features such as x-realm party play.
    Hypocrite much?
  1. Hugglebug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleena View Post
    No Ranor, the real problem is you don't see how ridiculous you're being, allowing them to charge you to play a game and then thinking it's all fine and dandy for them to charge you for individuals features inside of a game you already bought the box for and you already paid the monthly fee for access for. The only 2 things that are ridiculous in this forum is Blizzard's attitude to their paying subscribers and your unfettered loyalty to their unadulterated greed and going back on everything they ever claimed to be.
    *clap*

    Cheers for putting that better than I could have.
  1. Kaeleena's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    Eve and GW are the two I most often play now a days and both of them are ancient and have that feature. GW you simply click on a scroll menu to change servers and go through a load screen. Eve is a bit of a cop out in that they have everyone on one server (now that is an MMO with a capitol first M)
    AION offers 6 free server transfers per character.
  1. Bantokar's Avatar
    I just love how the latest go to excuse has become "well it´s really hard to program x".. What a load of horse shit, most of the code is already made in the cross realm LFG tool. The dev team really has become a gathering of incompetent whining fucktards who don´t know how to do shit.
  1. Zdrasti's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    As you said, Eve has only one server. They also do not have dungeons. As for GW, I never played the game myself but from what I have read about it or heard from other players, isn't the majority of the game instanced? Like in town you see other players running around but as soon as you go out into the wild or in a dungeon, you are separated into you own instance with whom ever you grouped with. In that regard it sounds more like an FPS multiplayer game. The town is like the waiting room where you put together you group and then an instance server is set up for your group. I could be totally wrong, but still that is one game. And I would be willing to bet that Blizzard includes many features in WoW that are not in GW.
    Well, you threw down the gauntlet and wanted to see an example and I gave you one (actually two). And though you want to discount Eve cause it only has one server, that's the design. I claim that including your entire population on a single server as opposed to simply allowing different servers to interact is not only what you're asking for, but is far superior.

    As for switching topics, Eve doesn't have dungeons -- its space based. But it has the equivalent of dungeons in missions, wormholes, etc. As for GW being instanced and more like a FPS in that regard, what do you think wow has become? You sit in the city waiting for your BG or LFD queue. =) Regardless, you wanted an example, you got some. And these are OLD games.
  1. Ranor's Avatar
    Okay I lied, I'm not going to bed just yet. But here's where you're wrong.

    See this is what's going to happen.

    Feature is released.
    I don't buy it.
    I play WoW, raid, do whatever.
    Nothing changed.

    OH GOD WHAT. It's a flipping miracle. I didn't pay for that feature and NOTHING CHANGED AT ALL. I paid for the ability to level to 85, do raid content, do 5man content, log in, do whatever. I didn't pay to play with other friends on another realm. That wasn't in the brochure when I picked up the game.

    None of you are paying for that feature. Going by your logic, server transfers\mobileAH\faction changes\etc should all be free. The upcoming guild transfer\etc should also be free. There should be absolutely -no- extra features like cosmetic pets\mounts\etc that MANY people enjoy having.

    When Blizzard starts putting in paid features that give people the upperhand in the actual game, then you have a right to start crying. Until then, suck it up princess. You're not special and you don't get to have everything you want because -you- think it should be yours.
  1. Psii's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    I just love how the latest go to excuse has become "well it´s really hard to program x".. What a load of horse shit, most of the code is already made in the cross realm LFG tool. The dev team really has become a gathering of incompetent whining fucktards who don´t know how to do shit.
    Yup, it's the same dumbass excuses over and over again.

    I still love the hilariousness of "We don't have the technology to do x" while x already exists ingame in another way.

    They're lazy, they've been lazy since they finished working on TBC and started sending their talent to work on other projects leaving the droolcups to deal with wow.
  1. Knirps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Ok. What other MMOs allow you to run a dungeon with any other player regardless of the server/realm/shard they are on?
    Why does it matter what other MMOs have?

    Since when is this a topic or news post comparing this premium service to other MMOs?

    I could say...other MMOs don't have permanent mounts, Blizzard's game is infallable now because it does!
    Or I could say...other MMOs have paid exp boosts... WoW doesn't so it's terrible!

    WoW has a lot of stuff other MMOs don't/doesn't have a lot of stuff other MMOs do. This isn't the place to discuss it.

    ...more on-topic...

    One of the things Blizzard had going for it was the mark of a 'true' MMO, or Western MMO, in that you paid for a game, paid a sub, and there were no 'premium' features, or perks, or advantages to having money IRL, along with a 'hard' stance against RMT.

    Now, having extra (paid) mounts and pets wasn't bad. I mean, 2 or 3 of them were even for charities and such...
    The AH one was a bit on the fence. It allowed you to pay for something you could do outside the game which would affect the game inside the game...but overall, it allowed nothing that any other paying subscriber couldn't get in the game. The same with guild chat, except there was no 'on the fence'. It is a fun little app that just lets you chat.

    Paying for a 'premium' service, as in something not in a box set, not in the game, not otherwise accessable...that actually changes how you can play is starting to creep into that unknown territory that no one wants WoW to be a part of.

    It's incredibly hard to relate it to other things because Blizzard has done it's best to incorporate every other 'Korean' MMOs paid 'premium' services/extras in the base game and on a game level that everyone can access through just paying a sub. Instead of exp boosts, we have guild perks and heirlooms. Instead of paying for temp. mounts, we have permanant mounts. Instead of paying for cooler mounts, we have achievements to give the 'coolest' mounts. etcetc...
  1. Kurosaki's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranor View Post
    That isn't splitting hairs. You're flat out wrong. You'd be correct if they suddenly limited RDF to paying customers only, however they're adding an optional feature that changes nothing about RDF for the masses.
    No because using the way you think. Lets say RDF is Premium now ok. Now you would say "No one is holding a gun to your head just go get a guild or get friends this is not game braking." The fact how his opinion is wrong is cute btw.
  1. hogomojojo's Avatar
    I forgot to mention, any of you guys ever consider inflation rates? WoW has been $14.99 since the release in 2004, if anything we should be thanking blizz for not raising the price. There has been a 19.1% inflation rate since 2004. Technically for blizz to be making the same money they made from subs in 2004 the currently monthly fee should be $17.85 Every year taxes go up, and the dollar goes down. Every year stores and services raise their price a little. Blizzard never has. If anything people who subscribe to the premium service will be helping blizz break even.
  1. Hugglebug's Avatar
    Basically it's useless discussing this stuff with Ranor as he'd defend Blizzard all the way to the hills no matter what they do.
  1. Rioo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hogomojojo View Post
    yeah I realize that, and thats hardly any money. I hope hoarding your money helps you achieve happiness. Also, my mother does not pay for anything of mine, in fact I am much more financially stable than her.
    Throwing money at something that should be free just because you can afford it doesn't sound very stable.

    I can afford this too, easily, but I'm not stupid.
  1. Kaeleena's Avatar
    Rancor, it's not that anything is changing about the gameplay experience, it's that they're specifically denying you a feature of the game that you might want to take part in at some point in the future even if you deny it now and many other people will because you don't want to pony up an extra service charge, and you're totally okay with that just because it won't impact YOUR gameplay. What about the next time they release a "premium" service and it DOES impact your gameplay? You're absolutely ridiculous.
  1. Hugglebug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hogomojojo View Post
    I forgot to mention, any of you guys ever consider inflation rates? WoW has been $14.99 since the release in 2004, if anything we should be thanking blizz for not raising the price. There has been a 19.1% inflation rate since 2004. Technically for blizz to be making the same money they made from subs in 2004 the currently monthly fee should be $17.85 Every year taxes go up, and the dollar goes down. Every year stores and services raise their price a little. Blizzard never has. If anything people who subscribe to the premium service will be helping blizz break even.
    Apart from the fact their subscription numbers have increased dramatically with each year.

    Break even? Blizzard broke even years ago with WoW.
  1. obsKura's Avatar
    biggest joke ever that this is premium based...
  1. Kaeleena's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hogomojojo View Post
    I forgot to mention, any of you guys ever consider inflation rates? WoW has been $14.99 since the release in 2004, if anything we should be thanking blizz for not raising the price. There has been a 19.1% inflation rate since 2004. Technically for blizz to be making the same money they made from subs in 2004 the currently monthly fee should be $17.85 Every year taxes go up, and the dollar goes down. Every year stores and services raise their price a little. Blizzard never has. If anything people who subscribe to the premium service will be helping blizz break even.
    Except for the fact that server administration and maintenance costs are a fraction of what they were in 2004, the rest of that money being pocketed as profit.

Site Navigation