MMO-Champion - Cross-Realm Dungeon Feature Coming Soon
Cross-Realm Dungeon Feature Coming Soon
Originally Posted by Slorkuz (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
With the continued popularity of the Dungeon Finder, many players have been asking for a way to group up with real-life friends who play on other realms to take on instances together. Today, we wanted to give you a heads up about a new feature currently in development that will allow players to invite Real ID friends of the same faction to a party regardless of the realm they play on, and then queue up for a 5-player regular or Heroic dungeon.

As this is a fairly complex service to develop, we don’t have a release date to share quite yet. It’s important to note that as with some of the other convenience- and connectivity-oriented features we offer, certain elements of the cross-realm Real ID party system will be premium-based, though only the player sending the invitations will need to have access to the premium service. We'll have more details to share with you as development progresses -- in the meantime, you may begin to see elements of the feature appear on the World of Warcraft PTR.
This article was originally published in forum thread: Cross-Realm Dungeon Feature Coming Soon started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 1789 Comments
  1. hawtlol's Avatar
    And so begins the downfall of Blizzard Ent.
  1. Cassidin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidelle View Post
    What's the point of paying for a premium service to play with others from a different realm when I can just.... oh I don't know.... move to that realm for a one time fee? So stupid, I really hope that decision gets put down before it's implemented.
    Unless you want the other features that the premium fee gives you access to, you are totally right. Im sure there are those people that have friends on multiple realms, but most people (I believe) only have friends on their own realm or maybe one other. The issue is, if you have friends in just one realm (the one you arent on) then its cheaper to do a transfer - one time fee so cheaper. If you have friends on your realm AND another.... what then? You cant transfer to be with your friends as you wont then be with the friends on your original realm.

    I think this should not be charged extra for (turning premium features into an increase in subscription fees because they havent gone up before is sneaky), same as guild chat. Guild chat is basically an IM client that doesnt have the features of most IM clients AND you pay for - thats handy. However, although I think it should be included in the monthly cost (I'm not saying free - it shouldnt be "free" they should charge for it - but only as they charge for the game - it should be included), it wont be. It will be premium, will have a fee, and many many people will pay for it.

    ---------- Post added 2011-05-18 at 09:51 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    Don't know why this is a paid service, maybe they miss the money they lost from the declining players.

    Very nice idea though, hopefully they won't charge too much for this service because it already feels like a shit deal.

    They dont HAVE any declining players. The 600k drop in players is because Cataclysm hastnt been launched in China yet and China has a LOT of players. Once its launched there the numbers will go back up again. Its not so much declining players... more LAGGING players.
  1. Farora's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    They dont HAVE any declining players. The 600k drop in players is because Cataclysm hastnt been launched in China yet and China has a LOT of players. Once its launched there the numbers will go back up again. Its not so much declining players... more LAGGING players.
  1. Cassidin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
    Agreed. This is also making me afraid of the possibility that the Cross-server BoA items will be a 'premium' feature, too.
    Cant see Cross-Server BOA being a subscription premium service. Maybe a one time fee (which would HAVE to be much lower than a character transfer or you could just do that instead). A monthly fee for it just wouldnt work, people would get the BoA's and just send them once - not every day. If it was a monthly fee people would just pay for one month then stop.
  1. Cows For Life's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    The problem is that the technology already exists, it is already there, they just aren't unlocking it. Charging money for this is about as ridiculous as a CPU manufacturer making 2.5ghz processor that is actually a 3ghz processor but can only be unlocked by buying a premium code.

    Bad for business all around. This is like buying CD and paying extra for a digital copy that comes in the deluxe edition...

    At the end of the day selling digital products successfully is about showing respect for your customers and providing value in your product. It doesnt take a genius to see what a rip off this is. Creating premium accounts will create a divide in the community, an echelon only attainable by those with money.

    Dividing your player base again? Now their will be premium horde and premium alliance and it will be a matter of time before guilds start taking Premium only members.
    Indeed. All of the functionality that enables this--short of the button in the friend list menu--already exists in-game. Who wants to pay more for them to uncripple their software?
  1. Hugglebug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Farora View Post
    Massive lol.
  1. Cows For Life's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    They also state before that they aint going to add micro transactions buz players could feel betrayed..and now we have premium accounts here..
    They also said they wouldn't do the PVE->PVP thing but someone could easily pay $25 to transfer to a PVE server, level from 80 to 85, then transfer back to the PVP realm.
  1. hawtlol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    They dont HAVE any declining players. The 600k drop in players is because Cataclysm hastnt been launched in China yet and China has a LOT of players. Once its launched there the numbers will go back up again. Its not so much declining players... more LAGGING players.
    Wrong it was subscriptions lost not how many people haven't gotten Cataclysm yet. Wow is declining because the game is getting old even with new content and shit like this.
  1. Cassidin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Myzou View Post
    The "Premium" thing goes through, I leave.

    I hope they understand that by attempting to get more money out of the remaining subscribers, something like this will make them lose AT LEAST double the amount they already lost.
    As they didnt lose any... thats double zero yes? China hasnt got Cataclysm yet hence the 600k "lag" in players.
  1. Fraza's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    They dont HAVE any declining players. The 600k drop in players is because Cataclysm hastnt been launched in China yet and China has a LOT of players. Once its launched there the numbers will go back up again. Its not so much declining players... more LAGGING players.
    Gotta love the Blizzard Defense Army.

    CEO of Blizzard - "What we have seen so far is that people have been consuming this content very quickly, and so the subscriber levels have decreased faster than in previous expansions"

    BDA - "They dont HAVE any declining players."

    Rock on, guys. Rock on.
  1. Cassidin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hawtlol View Post
    Wrong it was subscriptions lost not how many people haven't gotten Cataclysm yet. Wow is declining because the game is getting old even with new content and shit like this.
    True, but as China hasnt got Cataclysm yet a lot of Chinese players are not currently playing so their numbers do not show up on the subscription numbers.
  1. Hugglebug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    As they didnt lose any... thats double zero yes? China hasnt got Cataclysm yet hence the 600k "lag" in players.
    The playerbase is declining. Get over it. It's ok, you can still play your game. It's a long, long way from being a problem for them. But pulling this sort of crap isn't going to get them any new subs, or re-subbers either.
  1. Kaeleena's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    They dont HAVE any declining players. The 600k drop in players is because Cataclysm hastnt been launched in China yet and China has a LOT of players. Once its launched there the numbers will go back up again. Its not so much declining players... more LAGGING players.
    WoW didn't lose 600k player. WoW lost OVER A MILLION players and gained less than 1/2 of them back as new players. It's called subscription turn over. Estimates put WoW total subscriptions including inactives at over 40 million. In 2006 when Blizzard stopped announcing bans, they were laying the banhammer on over 300,000 accounts per month when the population was less than half. It's easy to surmise that that number has likely doubled by now. The reason China is still on Wrath of the Lich King is because just got it last August. This draw down of players is because Cataclysm, as a whole, has been a failure of cataclysmic proportions. They lost all the subscriptions they gained from Cataclysm's launch, and then lost more beyond that, plus player bans, and didn't gain enough new players to offset the loss. This has been happening since Burning Crusade came out and WoW reached 10 million subscribers ironically Blizzard never updated their numbers at their quarterly investor meetings except during the peaks in player activity and never the valleys. Unfortunately, Cataclysm peaked faster than either BC or WotLK and Blizzard couldn't hide it any longer.

    The 600k lost players aren't from Asia. They're from the US and the EU.
  1. Matooth's Avatar
    Simple solution, don't pay for the premium element of this service if you don't want to.

    The truth of it is the cost will be chump change which I have no problem paying for it it means easy grouping with my RL friends located on different servers.
  1. Scratches's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hogomojojo View Post
    I forgot to mention, any of you guys ever consider inflation rates? WoW has been $14.99 since the release in 2004, if anything we should be thanking blizz for not raising the price. There has been a 19.1% inflation rate since 2004. Technically for blizz to be making the same money they made from subs in 2004 the currently monthly fee should be $17.85 Every year taxes go up, and the dollar goes down. Every year stores and services raise their price a little. Blizzard never has. If anything people who subscribe to the premium service will be helping blizz break even.
    So you're suggesting that everyone subscribe to the premium services, regardless of whether we want to or not, just to say "Thank you, Uncle Blizz," and to help them "break even" even though they're already making record-breaking $300M+ quarterly profits? Trolololol
    Oh yeah, and that's in today's dollars too, not '04's.

    You really have no idea how much of that $15 monthly subscription is pure profit for Blizzard, do you...

    Anyway, let's do it, sure. Let's take that road and convince Blizzard that, because of inflation and poor markets and such, they need to raise the subscription fee to $18/mo (I rounded it; gotta keep it simple). And when they do, let's watch how fast their profits soar! ..or fall, whatever... lol

    The general consensus among MMO developers is that $15 is the de-facto break point. Through extensive industry polling and surveying done throughout the late nineties and early aughts (remember those cards that used to come inside game boxes?), they found that pricing an MMO any higher than that, even by just a dollar or two, risks alienating a LOT of potential customers. They found that it's all about perceived value, and at anything higher than that, the risk that someone will immediately dismiss it simply because of the price rises exponentially. Why do you think it rose sharply from ~$8 to $15 in less than a decade and has plateaued ever since?
    The great thing about that $15 price point, though, is that it's so high (relatively speaking) that a game that takes, say, $80M to develop (from the ground up) can be insanely profitable with even just 2 or 3 million box sales and steady subscriptions.

    Now, where does that put Blizzard in relation to that, with their 12 million monthly subscribers? Yeah, definitely not in the "barely getting by, we need help to break even" category. More like in the "we just posted a $300 million quarterly profit (not revenue), by ourselves, even after losing 600,000 subscribers" category.

    So forgive me if I find your notion that Blizzard deserves corporate welfare absolutely laughable, at best... lol
  1. Hugglebug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    True, but as China hasnt got Cataclysm yet a lot of Chinese players are not currently playing so their numbers do not show up on the subscription numbers.
    Source for this? Or are you just pulling it out of your Blizzard Defense Force hat?
  1. Keadin84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    True, but as China hasnt got Cataclysm yet a lot of Chinese players are not currently playing so their numbers do not show up on the subscription numbers.
    Which expansion you have doesn't affect how many subscribers there are. Stop being so ignorant and just open your eyes to see WoW has in fact seen a drop in customers.
  1. Cassidin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraza View Post
    Gotta love the Blizzard Defense Army.

    CEO of Blizzard - "What we have seen so far is that people have been consuming this content very quickly, and so the subscriber levels have decreased faster than in previous expansions"

    BDA - "They dont HAVE any declining players."

    Rock on, guys. Rock on.
    If you are suggesting im defending Blizzard, you are wrong. I don't think this is good at all, I'm just saying that they will do it as they said, and LOTS of people will pay for it. People are suggesting that it will make Blizzard lose more players and I'm pointing out that until China has Cataclysm its impossible to say that they actually HAVE lost any players as a LARGE number that play this game are currently NOT playing it due to not having access to Cataclysm.

    I'm pointing out that this will not hurt Blizzard - it wont be "the doom of them" as some are suggesting. It's sneaky and underhanded of them but they will get away with it as always.
  1. tusker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraza View Post
    What isn't optional in the game?

    Say you like to PvP and complain about changes to your class or whatever. I don't PvP so I come in your thread and say "you aren't forced to PvP. if you don't like the changes, just don't PvP. After all, it's optional." This argument is ridiculous.

    Playing with some friends across servers would be awesome. We had people leaving for other guilds on other realms, yet it would be a blast to play with them again. Realm transfer would mean leaving our guilds behind so that won't fly. Rolling another toon just to run some heroics together is ridiculous. So this is something I have been waiting for for a long time. Just because you find no use for it doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. But now that they're charging for it, hell no. So what, playing with my friends across realms somehow costs them more than playing with randoms?

    This is crossing the line. Whereas before they have only charged for stuff that doesn't affect gameplay (sparkle ponies and kung fu pandas), this is a first that does. Because for me, being able to play with friends (and my gf, who happens to play on another realm, just the way I like it) is an important part of the gameplay. And while I wasn't able to play with them before either, should Blizz just stop developing new stuff for the game altogether except for the "premium" features? Like paying $15 a month isn't "premium" enough.
    I guess I understand your argument. Also, I never said I don't find a use for it; I may in fact use it when it's released.

    However, your argument seems to be that just because you will use it extensively, it's supposed to be free? Right. Just like the other people crying "it's optional, who cares." Just because it's something you've wanted this whole time doesn't mean it's SUPPOSED to be free. Obviously it'd be much better if it were free, but using your argument makes no sense.

    What exactly is "crossing the line" in terms of what they can keep piling on whilst keeping subscrip fees the same. Oh, right, that's subjective, as you've pointed out because "its something I want" so it should be free... How do you know that you're not an extreme minority that wants this? It seems to me, as usual, it might seem many people are complaining, however, this is the WoW community, everything is complained about whether or not they will use it or understand it. If they suspect only a few people would use this I wouldn't blame them for charging a premium.

    IMO Blizzard is taking WoW towards being a free-to-play MMO many years from now. Just my opinion, though.
  1. Holo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matooth View Post
    Simple solution, don't pay for the premium element of this service if you don't want to.

    The truth of it is the cost will be chump change which I have no problem paying for it it means easy grouping with my RL friends located on different servers.
    Quote from Tubbilicous(Bloodfeather) @ eu.battle.net:

    What you missed is that people feel as though they're entilted to this feature based off of the fact they already pay for it - through that subscription. The fact that it's a bit difficult to make doesn't really go that far, because we've had lots of things in the past for free, because we pay a subscription, that were also a bit difficult to create. Lots of those offer the same as what this does - convenience- and connectivity-oriented features. What's the difference that means we have to pay for this feature, but that we didn't for the others, like the dungeon finder?

Site Navigation