MMO-Champion - WoW Lost 300k Subscribers, Patch 4.3 this year, Blizzcon 2011 Tickets, Blue Posts
World of Warcraft lost another 300,000 Subscribers last quarter, Patch 4.3 this year
Activision Blizzard latest earning call revealed that World of Warcraft lost another 300,000 subscribers last quarter, following the loss of 600k subscribers announced last quarter.

In this conference call we also learned that:


  • The next patch will include "major raid and dungeon content", we can most likely expect a raid and a 5-man from Patch 4.3
  • Patch 4.3 will be the "largest content update since Cataclysm"
  • It will be released later this year, which means that we can probably expect a PTR soon.

It's also worth noting that despite the loss of players, Mike Morhaime pointed out that the new trial system resulted in an increase in new account creations. For more details on the earning call, go check the coverage on sites such as Venturebeat or Gamasutra.


BlizzCon 2011 Virtual Ticket Now On Sale
The Blizzcon virtual ticket is now available, it seems that some people already got their Murkablo Companion Pet by buying the ticket early. (See this forum thread. However, this is most likely a bug and pets might be removed very soon.



Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
Want to experience the panel discussions, tournaments, game-related announcements, and all the excitement of BlizzCon 2011 from the comfort of your own home? Then be sure to check out the BlizzCon Virtual Ticket!

The BlizzCon 2011 Virtual Ticket is now available for purchase around the world for $39.99 USD (pricing may vary by region). Virtual Ticket coverage will be available as a multi-channel Internet stream and also via Pay Per View on DIRECTV in the United States, granting viewers a front-row seat to all of the action on the show floor including exclusive interviews, demos, and more!

New DIRECTV subscribers in the United States who sign up for DIRECTV service between now and September 25 through www.directv.com/blizzcon will receive this year's BlizzCon Virtual Ticket coverage for free. Existing DIRECTV customers will be able to purchase the event on DIRECTV Pay Per View for $39.99 beginning Monday, October 10. Visit www.directv.com/blizzcon for more info.

DIRECTV customers who order the Pay Per View event through DIRECTV will receive the multi-channel Internet stream at no extra charge, and those who order the BlizzCon Virtual Ticket will also receive this year’s to-be-announced BlizzCon-exclusive World of Warcraft and StarCraft II in-game items.

Don't miss out! To learn more about the BlizzCon Virtual Ticket, head on over to our official BlizzCon 2011 Live Stream page or read the FAQ.

Cenarion Hatchling Raises More Than $1.9 Million for Japan Earthquake Relief
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
Thanks to the overwhelming generosity of World of Warcraft players around the world who purchased the Cenarion Hatchling pet, we’ve raised a total of more than $1.9 million USD to support the ongoing earthquake and tsunami relief efforts in Japan. In May, we announced that for every Cenarion Hatchling purchased by July 31, 2011, 100% of the $10 USD adoption fee would be going to assist victims of this disaster -- and the community responded by opening up their hearts and wallets wide. Thanks again for your support and for helping to make an impact on the lives of those affected by these events.

To learn more about the Pet Store, please visit the Pet Store FAQ.

Diablo III Beta Profile Update
Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
The beta test approaches! We’ve just updated our System Check program and would like everyone to update their Battle.net Beta Profile information by running the new one. You should do this regardless of whether there have been hardware changes made to your system.

You can run the new System Check by visiting the Beta Profile settings of your Battle.net account:

https://www.battle.net/account/manag...a-profile.html

I don’t have a Beta Profile
If you haven’t yet created a Beta Profile on your Battle.net account you’ll be presented with two download options, PC and Mac, for our System Check program. Running the program will present you with the Beta Test Opt-In Agreement, and once you agree to that it will immediately query basic computer specification information such as your type of video card, processor, and RAM. Clicking the Send button will then upload the shown information to your account.

On your Beta Profile page, you’ll want to ensure you at least have “Diablo Universe” checked for future testing, if not StarCraft and Warcraft as well. That’s it! You’re now eligible for future beta test opportunities.

I have a Beta Profile
If you’ve previously uploaded your system info you should use the links to download the new System Check program for PC or Mac and update your system info. Run the program, read through the Beta Test Opt-In Agreement that appears, and once you agree to that the program will immediately query your basic computer specification information. Click Send and the program will automatically update your profile with your system specifications. You’ll remain opted in for whichever beta tests you’ve previously selected, and you can change these selections on your Beta Profile page at any time.

Having current system specifications and checking the franchise boxes to express interest in beta testing our future products does not guarantee your entry into the beta test. We will grant a very limited number of people entry from the entire pool of those interested, based on their system specifications and other factors. While having an official Battle.net Beta Profile is one way to potentially get in, we’ll have information on other ways to increase your chances as we draw closer to the beta test.

Blue Posts
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Lack of Blue Posts / "Where are the Blues?"
The whole team is here today. We're actively reading the forums whenever we can while working on other tasks. :)(Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Repair costs too expensive?
Repair costs have always scaled with item level. If anything, I'd say this game has a burden of too much gold out in the economy, rather than too little. 4 deaths in 1 5-player Heroic dungeon run is well above what you should expect as an average, and 100 gold is pretty easy to come by at level 85. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

New Warcraft Fan Art
The Blizzard Fan Art Section has been updated with five new pieces of fan artwork set within the Warcraft universe.




"The Raid" Livestream on August 6th @ 6:00PM PST
Blue Loon Films, the studio behind the upcoming World of Warcraft documentary, The Raid, has announced that the live stream of their film will take place on August 6th.

The Raid follows a guild over the course of a few months and features a host of content including in-game and at-home interviews with the players.

To celebrate the release of the film, TypeFrag will be giving away:


  • 1 desktop PC by Doghouse Systems
  • 5 high-end gaming headsets
  • 25, 25-person Ventrilo servers

The PC features an Intel i5 Quad-Core CPU, Windows 7 64-bit, 1TB HDD, 4GB RAM, 2 NVIDIA GTX 460 PCI-E video cards and more!

The live stream of The Raid will take place on August 6th at 6:00PM (PST) and is brought to you in part by TypeFrag, Gamebreaker.tv and Curse!

This article was originally published in forum thread: WoW Lost 300k Subscribers, Patch 4.3 this year, Blizzcon 2011 Tickets, Blue Posts started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 600 Comments
  1. Xilurm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleena View Post
    Normal modes should be easy. You bang your head against bosses long enough and epics should fall out, just like battlegrounds. You afk at mines long enough and epics fall out. Frankly, I can pull higher raid dps in 371 PvP gear than I can in any preraid gear that isn't a Firelands BoE.

    ---------- Post added 2011-08-04 at 10:39 AM ----------

    You lost all credibility the moment you claimed WoW was the best. Largest =/= Best. Might want to learn the difference between the two.

    And I don't hate it. I hate what it's become.
    That means you hate it. WoW IS what it has become and its not changing back. It will move forward. Nostalgia is meant to be what it is......Nostalgia.

    If you dont like it dont play it simple as that.
  1. goltnum9's Avatar
    Noone can see that the world is on economic crisis? People are not buying as before, and this will affect the society of the online gamers. People will stop buying subscriptions when they can't afford to take some water(2 and 3 euro in some European Countries) and something to eat(a walk to the market or a take away food will easily steal you 10euro) to eat. So that sums a 12-13 euro.
    Make a guess then if wow is the factor here
  1. Eruanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phai View Post
    It isn't even worth the effort to say it.
    Haven't we got used (and bored) to the recycling philosophy Blizzard shows since TBC?
    I suppose...their pets are often indicative of looming expansions, though, so I'm not sure what to make of this.
  1. Bubalus's Avatar
    not strange , this xpan has brought very little new things
    most time went into rehashing the old world , after you leveled very shortly for 5levels and done the the basic gear thing all that is left is raids , doing really boring dailies or standing around in orgri looking exacly the same as allmost every other damn person of the same class
    Wow is becomming to repentitive and for some reason feels a bit cheap now like little effort was really put into it , something i didn't feel with the previous xpans, nothing is happening it seems, ie like where the hell is deadwing ? just flying around buring random crap ?
    pvp is imo in a pretty sad and unbalanced state , 4.1 just brought more rehashed content most of us have done plenty of times before and 4.2 just a small raid. The economy is going over the top , especially if you come in as a new player , there is no way in hell new players can affort some of the stuff they need like glyphs or even some basic green gear.
    Blizz seems to be digging their own grave if they continue down this path , some good new mmo's are on the horizon and unless blizz start pumping out some quality again the decline will continue and probally increase speed with the new games comming.
    Still like some aspects of the game but other than that this is an xpan that can't end soon enough imo so we can hopefully get some quality again.
    I hope they will turn the tide with 4.3 but i'm not getting my hopes up unfortunally
  1. Blooddeity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tang View Post
    This is true. WoW is far from dead. I don't even think you can say it's dying. WoW is a middle aged game, past its prime and in decline, but with plenty of years left in it.

    People are too quick to announce that something is "dead" when what they really mean is "it's no longer the hottest thing around."
    No WoW isn't dead. WoW can survive with only 1 million players. The decline in numbers show that people are slowly getting fed up with the direction Blizzard is taking this game. Actually if Blizzard really wanted to they could grow this game even further beyond the 12 million mark. They are obviously not pushing for it and they rather just let this game slowly decline in numbers in favor of their next pet project Titan.

    It's this attitude from Blizzard why people like me are posting on the forums. You like a game, you put time in it, you give feedback to Blizzard. However Blizzard obviously doesn't want to put more effort in the game. They could renew the graphic engine, make a PVP talent tree and balance PVP. Bring changes to the game mechanics so the game evolves even further. Rather than that Blizzard is abandoning ship, selling sparkling mounts to every fool it can before the ship sinks.

    It's the lack of innovation, the lack of doing something with player feedback, and the increase of Blizzard just trollin their own player base.

    The lack of proper respect for the comunity is what makes people happy to see that people are finally not taking this crap anymore and leaving.
  1. mikisulu's Avatar
    Everything created has an end. But mmo's have long lives. Lets take the original mmo "Everquest" EQ started in 1999, at the height, in 2003, it had 450.000 subscribers. EQ has 17 expansions and a new expansion on the horizon, currently 14 servers strong. EQ is 12 years old and its still standing. I would wager that WoW will live longer and stronger than EQ.
  1. Knopperz's Avatar
    ~1 million sups times 15 bucks = ouchy

    Quote Originally Posted by mikisulu View Post
    I would wager that WoW will live longer and stronger than EQ.
    Perhaps, but EQ1 is still No#1 on my best-of-all-times MMO List
  1. shise's Avatar
    About 900k people quit in over a year.

    Hmm, i guess a great amount of those players were new players, many other could have started at WotLK, but still in 900k players a really HUGE about of players would be old players.

    Even if Blizzard says that they are gaining a lot of new players from the new trial system, it's not the same. A solid group of 5 hard core players do much more the job for Blizz than 10 random players who play 3 months per year, because this is not only about the money. The money goes to Blizzard but the quality of the game goes to us.


    Here comes the consequences...

    If the game losses the players who spend more time and expect more from the game in order to gain those who don't care much more than getting epics and buying mounts... then there comes the real huge problem, since the game is slowly turning into a really casual game on it's 90%, just the other 10% is still hard core, the Hard Modes of raids, and not even all of them...


    So, as some people said below, is not 900k people who were complaining cos they didn't have what they wanted.
  1. Ravenblade's Avatar
    I am seeing alot of "WoW is dieing/dead" comments.

    I have been playing WoW when it was a very young and still quite buggy product with an uncertain future ahead. But it had life, alot of it and thus when I say WoW is dead I am not referring to the number of subscribers. The number of subscribers do not breathe life into a game, in fact the more you have the more automated, homogenized, machinized and streamlined it gets. It's the nature of the things, you cannot run a hive without that. But it feels dead and this is a motivation killer for me, it has died somewhere in the heat of the troubles of WotLK.
    Thus I strongly disagree with the notion that losing subscribers is a bad thing. I am pretty sure that WoW's financial model isn't based around profitable at 11+ millions subscribers only. Two things will happen: WoW will lose subscribers to potential competitors no matter the quality of their products and there will be some real competition, something you just couldn't reduce to copy&paste-able features but really something which offers alternatives. This will in the end mean that Blizzard's WoW developers have to re-learn the creative thinking process in terms. If they cannot do that and prefer to leave that to the upcoming MMO of Blizzard then it will dwindle in numbers and settle at a point where the game becomes manageable in terms of community demands and quality however without the star qualities it had at release but probably closer to the MMO standards it previously set.
  1. MrShapatsky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by planetchips View Post
    I didn't bring up the news, you did, I simply replied to your inconsistency. Your first post was just insulting people and making yourself sound superior because you don't play a game anymore. I HAVE deviated from my point, but only because I thought you were an arrogant ass, now I realize that you're simply a fool.



    "Yes i am arrogant and now to your point"
    "now to your point"
    "Yes i am arrogant"
    /facepalm



    Behavioral Science. I don't think you know the definition of journalism and media. Journalism is the practice of investigation and reporting events. Media(under communication) is the storage, dissemination, and broadcast of information. You can learn more at your local community college. While you're there, I advise you take a Critical Thinking and Logic class.
    This is so sad i can't believe i am reading it. Journalism is indeed a practice of investigation and reporting events. But every University that has journalism as a programme to study also has doctors, professors, lectors and other ranks whos scientific work is all about studiyng journalism and its phenomenon and then pass on their learnings to new students who either becomes journalists or professors within the field, or even both. Media and communications are a different field and it's called exactly that. And it has the same as the above. They are closley related, and both are crossing over the borders but they are 2 different fields. Media is also what you wrote it was but also so much more than that.

    I know very well the the definition of media and journalism and your reply only shows me that you hardly know anything about it. Because you are trying to indicate that I am wrong. You can google words and then say "hey this is it he is wrong", it's out of my hands what you think or not. If that is how you want to categorize journalism and media you only show how narrow minded you are. By drifting back and forth between what you think only shows that you are incapable to participate in this discussion and therefor i see no point in continuing.

    You can write a reply, i will read it, but i wont reply to it.
    Take your best shot
  1. Kaeleena's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    That means you hate it. WoW IS what it has become and its not changing back. It will move forward. Nostalgia is meant to be what it is......Nostalgia.

    If you dont like it dont play it simple as that.
    The game doesn't have to be what it's become. It's completely unoptimized, the current raiding tiers are totally uninspired. The Devs were seriously on heroin when they decided to reverse all the positive changes they made during Lich King in favor of a more exclusive raid environment. You know what exclusivity means? Not everyone can do it. It breeds contempt and locks people into playing with other people that may not want to play with or may not even like. It creates cliques within large guilds where those closest to the officers are rewarded for being pets and those that aren't willing to kiss ass long enough get nothing, and that's completely ignoring the fact that until 4.2 T11 normal modes were completely overtuned. It's called a normal mode for a reason. If a large percentage of normal players are unable to clear normal modes, clearly they are higher than normal difficulty. Save the heroic difficulty for the heroic modes. Let the heroic mode players go directly into the next heroic mode tiers, let the heroic mode gear be higher ilvl than the new normal mode tier, that way normal mode guilds still have reasons to go back and clear old heroic mode content, but don't make a game system in which normal players aren't compensated adequately for a reasonable investment of time.

    And you're right, 1/2 way through 4.0 I knew Cataclysm was a bomb and quit playing til 4.1. During 4.1 T11 raids still weren't puggable even with Zandalari gear, and with 4.2, a new tier of gear, and lots of raiders with open IDs for Tier 11 content, it's actually finally in line with where it should've been all along, but guess what? For alot of people that's too little too late, and they won't be coming back. I spoke with my wallet, because that's the only thing Blizzard listens to anymore, and they made changes that directly effected my gameplay because of it.
  1. Silkwraith's Avatar
    I am new to this forum but I have to admit that I could not resist handing my own six pence on this matter especially considering that I have been playing WoW since it's inception.

    I think that Blizzard made a marvellous game in the begining. I enjoyed exploring the world, doing quests and looking forward to get my mount, at that time, at level 40 - it was awsome.

    I eventually levelled up and started raiding, eventually moving ahead to 40 men raids with one of the best guilds on the server. The comittment was intensive - too intensive to be considered sustainable to a person who has a job and has to wake up every morning to sustain his family - not to mention his social life - but was it challenging..yes was it enjoyable ...yes - it was NEW - It was a new experience for me and my friends which later joined in the fun.

    Which brings me to the first error Blizzard did ? Why did Blizzard do away with 40 men raids - they were awsome ..why ? Couldnt they have left them and introduced the 20 men and the 10 men along with the 40 men ?

    When 40 men raids were abolished, many dedicated players left because some guilds could not sustain all the raiders - crossborder friendships built since inception were lost.

    BC was introduced - and compared to its predeseccor it felt artificial although the blood elves were awsome, my personal opnion ofc.

    But ever since then I turned casual for a couple of years eventually being pulled back to hard core raiding by some friends of mine. Which raiding eventually stopped with WotLK and have been casual ever since.

    In my humble opinion the game has been losing its momentun not due to petty issues like loot and stuff, but due to lack of ingenuity in game design, lack of imagination and new ideas, new concept dungeons. New Terrain (FL looks like previous areas except for the colour change). Raiding can easily be made more challenging - not by just having two modes (normal and Heroic) but also by making it more time challenging like having a gigantic dungeon which takes two weeks to clear - making your way to the first section in the first then moving to the end conquests in the second - a dungeon expedition of sorts. This is just an idea ofc. Instead of making bosses harder or having people farm their way to an area doing the same thing all over again day in day out - you can create something similar to what I am putting forward. Epics can remain available as they are - but don't give them just for grinding - offer a challenge.

    Well there are a hundred and one things I can mention which have dragged this game to this stage but many of them have been already mentioned but I would like to re-indicate some of them:

    The Graphics : water is awsome but the world seems dead compared to many of the new MMORPGs coming out - no ambient movement whatsoever makes the game comic-like. You can't leave the graphics as they are - I noted genuine attempts to have graphics boosted but I am sorry Blizzard, it has not been enouph, although the water is awsome.

    The Avatars: need to be upgraded especially the ones which have been with us since the begining. Infact I must state - this is a must especially when one notices some NPCs which are just plain awsome ...why shouldnt players aspire to have his avatar on the same level graphically?

    Recyling Bosses: Stop doing this - it is making the game extensively boring - Ragnaros was Ragnaros in Molten Core - having him back in FL is silly - you can say that to the new kids who play the game now - but not to the old timers who are not willing to give up on the game just yet - for us, who work and thus give value to our money which we spend, that's a no-go.

    Stop instancing the Game - its making everyone losing the feeling of the an open ended world for which WoW was highly acclaimed for in the begining.

    I think if WoW stops innovating itself, it shall die much faster then Blizzard expects - and with the forthcoming MMORPGs such as SWOTR and GUILD WARS 2 and many others coming out - this will certainly not help.

    UNLESS....there is a WoW 2 heading our way and we don't know it !!!!
  1. Surrender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Moonkin View Post
    Forget two. They're going 3 or 4. Plus atleast 2 dungeons.

    Seriously though, I think that Blizzard will pull their weight in this patch, and for the 300k sub lost, in Q3, we have - WoW Brazil, Chinese Cata, 4.2 Resubs, so I think they game will stalemate there.
    4.2 has already been out for a while, i think the people who were going to resub already did... so that is a legit net loss of 300k
  1. BenBos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goltnum9 View Post
    Noone can see that the world is on economic crisis? People are not buying as before, and this will affect the society of the online gamers. People will stop buying subscriptions when they can't afford to take some water(2 and 3 euro in some European Countries) and something to eat(a walk to the market or a take away food will easily steal you 10euro) to eat. So that sums a 12-13 euro.
    Make a guess then if wow is the factor here
    I said it multiple times already.

    But ... surprise ... this is a gaming forum, so people tend to look only through their very narrow minded gaming glasses.


    Some kids really think that the nerving of a class (in their view) or the design of a raid or dungeon would influence the game by dropping 3 or 6 % in a quarter.

    If CATA REALLY was bad, the game would have lost 50% of its player base already.

    6% - 9% drop after EVERYBODY tried and came back last year is peanuts in retention drops.


    Just look at all those WOW killers duds we had to endure during the last 6 years. They dried up with 80% drops after the same period. And don't call the BS of Rift either (closing 30% of their servers and still a huge drops in players activity expressed in multiple double digit drops).

    No you are right of course: the 3% drops is a natural cause coming from an economic problematic era (China still has 9% growth while we are on the brink of a recession). Same goes for shifting markets. Going free to play has got MORE influence on the paid subs market than ANY content patch Blizzard could launch ...

    Nintendo 3DS is a catastroph compared to the IPAd: shifting markets/economy had much more influence than any design Blizzard could put in into a 7 year old game.
  1. Muruguru's Avatar
    I wrote here my opinion near the time when cata got released here, probably was too harsh. People got bored of doing the same raid concepts, getting the same kind of gear (tiers), having the same goals. Like for example if you want to get full epic (a goal), you want full tier 9, etc. Once you get that, it is losing it's value and it won't become a goal again or at least it will fade. The same goes with progress, PVE is about gear and progress, not really about story. Secondly, they require a high amount of time for no real goal. There are those lost subscribers. What probably lured the gamers to play wow was the networking game, playing with other people, then getting epics, having a goal. One expansion can end that feeling for most of the players and probably wow had it's peak in wrath. Now they really need to come up with something amazing in order to get the lost subscribers because this is the playerbase, there are no other gamers.
  1. iliketohealsometimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blooddeity View Post
    No WoW isn't dead. WoW can survive with only 1 million players. The decline in numbers show that people are slowly getting fed up with the direction Blizzard is taking this game.
    Oh, look! Someone who apparently knows the exact reason why each and every one of those 900k people left the game!
    Wait. No he doesn't. He's assuming. Because he's an ass.
  1. Andyo's Avatar
    I guess those 300k are all shamans.
  1. F-Minus's Avatar
    That 300k are priests. They couldn't find any spirit cloth in Firelands so they ventured to a dungeon in another game.
  1. Kaeleena's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketohealsometimes View Post
    Oh, look! Someone who apparently knows the exact reason why each and every one of those 900k people left the game!
    Wait. No he doesn't. He's assuming. Because he's an ass.
    It's impossible to know why they left the game. Suffice it to say they were there before and gone now, so clearly the game doesn't have the value to them that it did prior to Cataclysm.
  1. Xilurm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleena View Post
    The game doesn't have to be what it's become. It's completely unoptimized, the current raiding tiers are totally uninspired. The Devs were seriously on heroin when they decided to reverse all the positive changes they made during Lich King in favor of a more exclusive raid environment. You know what exclusivity means? Not everyone can do it. It breeds contempt and locks people into playing with other people that may not want to play with or may not even like. It creates cliques within large guilds where those closest to the officers are rewarded for being pets and those that aren't willing to kiss ass long enough get nothing, and that's completely ignoring the fact that until 4.2 T11 normal modes were completely overtuned. It's called a normal mode for a reason. If a large percentage of normal players are unable to clear normal modes, clearly they are higher than normal difficulty. Save the heroic difficulty for the heroic modes. Let the heroic mode players go directly into the next heroic mode tiers, let the heroic mode gear be higher ilvl than the new normal mode tier, that way normal mode guilds still have reasons to go back and clear old heroic mode content, but don't make a game system in which normal players aren't compensated adequately for a reasonable investment of time.

    And you're right, 1/2 way through 4.0 I knew Cataclysm was a bomb and quit playing til 4.1. During 4.1 T11 raids still weren't puggable even with Zandalari gear, and with 4.2, a new tier of gear, and lots of raiders with open IDs for Tier 11 content, it's actually finally in line with where it should've been all along, but guess what? For alot of people that's too little too late, and they won't be coming back. I spoke with my wallet, because that's the only thing Blizzard listens to anymore, and they made changes that directly effected my gameplay because of it.
    Positive changes? People were all bashing Lich King because it was "too" easy and now they are praising it while they are bashing Cata. Believe me when i tell its gonna be the exact same thing with the next expansion. I can't help but think people are leaving wow because they dont know what they want anymore.

Site Navigation