MMO-Champion - WoW Lost 300k Subscribers, Patch 4.3 this year, Blizzcon 2011 Tickets, Blue Posts
World of Warcraft lost another 300,000 Subscribers last quarter, Patch 4.3 this year
Activision Blizzard latest earning call revealed that World of Warcraft lost another 300,000 subscribers last quarter, following the loss of 600k subscribers announced last quarter.

In this conference call we also learned that:


  • The next patch will include "major raid and dungeon content", we can most likely expect a raid and a 5-man from Patch 4.3
  • Patch 4.3 will be the "largest content update since Cataclysm"
  • It will be released later this year, which means that we can probably expect a PTR soon.

It's also worth noting that despite the loss of players, Mike Morhaime pointed out that the new trial system resulted in an increase in new account creations. For more details on the earning call, go check the coverage on sites such as Venturebeat or Gamasutra.


BlizzCon 2011 Virtual Ticket Now On Sale
The Blizzcon virtual ticket is now available, it seems that some people already got their Murkablo Companion Pet by buying the ticket early. (See this forum thread. However, this is most likely a bug and pets might be removed very soon.



Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
Want to experience the panel discussions, tournaments, game-related announcements, and all the excitement of BlizzCon 2011 from the comfort of your own home? Then be sure to check out the BlizzCon Virtual Ticket!

The BlizzCon 2011 Virtual Ticket is now available for purchase around the world for $39.99 USD (pricing may vary by region). Virtual Ticket coverage will be available as a multi-channel Internet stream and also via Pay Per View on DIRECTV in the United States, granting viewers a front-row seat to all of the action on the show floor including exclusive interviews, demos, and more!

New DIRECTV subscribers in the United States who sign up for DIRECTV service between now and September 25 through www.directv.com/blizzcon will receive this year's BlizzCon Virtual Ticket coverage for free. Existing DIRECTV customers will be able to purchase the event on DIRECTV Pay Per View for $39.99 beginning Monday, October 10. Visit www.directv.com/blizzcon for more info.

DIRECTV customers who order the Pay Per View event through DIRECTV will receive the multi-channel Internet stream at no extra charge, and those who order the BlizzCon Virtual Ticket will also receive this year’s to-be-announced BlizzCon-exclusive World of Warcraft and StarCraft II in-game items.

Don't miss out! To learn more about the BlizzCon Virtual Ticket, head on over to our official BlizzCon 2011 Live Stream page or read the FAQ.

Cenarion Hatchling Raises More Than $1.9 Million for Japan Earthquake Relief
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
Thanks to the overwhelming generosity of World of Warcraft players around the world who purchased the Cenarion Hatchling pet, we’ve raised a total of more than $1.9 million USD to support the ongoing earthquake and tsunami relief efforts in Japan. In May, we announced that for every Cenarion Hatchling purchased by July 31, 2011, 100% of the $10 USD adoption fee would be going to assist victims of this disaster -- and the community responded by opening up their hearts and wallets wide. Thanks again for your support and for helping to make an impact on the lives of those affected by these events.

To learn more about the Pet Store, please visit the Pet Store FAQ.

Diablo III Beta Profile Update
Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
The beta test approaches! We’ve just updated our System Check program and would like everyone to update their Battle.net Beta Profile information by running the new one. You should do this regardless of whether there have been hardware changes made to your system.

You can run the new System Check by visiting the Beta Profile settings of your Battle.net account:

https://www.battle.net/account/manag...a-profile.html

I don’t have a Beta Profile
If you haven’t yet created a Beta Profile on your Battle.net account you’ll be presented with two download options, PC and Mac, for our System Check program. Running the program will present you with the Beta Test Opt-In Agreement, and once you agree to that it will immediately query basic computer specification information such as your type of video card, processor, and RAM. Clicking the Send button will then upload the shown information to your account.

On your Beta Profile page, you’ll want to ensure you at least have “Diablo Universe” checked for future testing, if not StarCraft and Warcraft as well. That’s it! You’re now eligible for future beta test opportunities.

I have a Beta Profile
If you’ve previously uploaded your system info you should use the links to download the new System Check program for PC or Mac and update your system info. Run the program, read through the Beta Test Opt-In Agreement that appears, and once you agree to that the program will immediately query your basic computer specification information. Click Send and the program will automatically update your profile with your system specifications. You’ll remain opted in for whichever beta tests you’ve previously selected, and you can change these selections on your Beta Profile page at any time.

Having current system specifications and checking the franchise boxes to express interest in beta testing our future products does not guarantee your entry into the beta test. We will grant a very limited number of people entry from the entire pool of those interested, based on their system specifications and other factors. While having an official Battle.net Beta Profile is one way to potentially get in, we’ll have information on other ways to increase your chances as we draw closer to the beta test.

Blue Posts
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Lack of Blue Posts / "Where are the Blues?"
The whole team is here today. We're actively reading the forums whenever we can while working on other tasks. :)(Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Repair costs too expensive?
Repair costs have always scaled with item level. If anything, I'd say this game has a burden of too much gold out in the economy, rather than too little. 4 deaths in 1 5-player Heroic dungeon run is well above what you should expect as an average, and 100 gold is pretty easy to come by at level 85. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

New Warcraft Fan Art
The Blizzard Fan Art Section has been updated with five new pieces of fan artwork set within the Warcraft universe.




"The Raid" Livestream on August 6th @ 6:00PM PST
Blue Loon Films, the studio behind the upcoming World of Warcraft documentary, The Raid, has announced that the live stream of their film will take place on August 6th.

The Raid follows a guild over the course of a few months and features a host of content including in-game and at-home interviews with the players.

To celebrate the release of the film, TypeFrag will be giving away:


  • 1 desktop PC by Doghouse Systems
  • 5 high-end gaming headsets
  • 25, 25-person Ventrilo servers

The PC features an Intel i5 Quad-Core CPU, Windows 7 64-bit, 1TB HDD, 4GB RAM, 2 NVIDIA GTX 460 PCI-E video cards and more!

The live stream of The Raid will take place on August 6th at 6:00PM (PST) and is brought to you in part by TypeFrag, Gamebreaker.tv and Curse!

This article was originally published in forum thread: WoW Lost 300k Subscribers, Patch 4.3 this year, Blizzcon 2011 Tickets, Blue Posts started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 600 Comments
  1. iliketohealsometimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasz View Post
    You have to understand that number is AFTER people came back from firelands and new accounts. By the time next expansion comes out (Q2), there will be 5-6 big games on the market all fighting hard for subs.
    Yeah! WoW is gonna die! Just like when Warhammer Online, Final Fantasy 14, Rift, Aion and every other MMO came out! Oh wait, all those games bombed months after their release.
  1. Tang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barou View Post
    You have to remember, 600k was lost in Q1, 300k Q2...which means that it will be less and less each quarter - assume 1/2 each time:

    150k Q3
    75k Q4

    All in all, you will have a million subscribers lost through gripes and rage quitting. However, new accounts are opening - and guess what - more will open once the next release comes out. Blizzard really has nothing to worry about...
    You're drawing the wrong conclusion from those numbers. 600k left in part because of Rift. 300k left without any big MMO, in spite of the new push to attract customers as well as a major patch (remember that's -300k NET, not gross, so the actual losses were likely much higher).

    To me, that actually looks like dissatisfaction is gaining momentum, even if the numbers haven't. I expect to see a million+ losses for WoW in fiscal Q3, in part because of a lack of real content, and in part because of SWTOR and a lot of major single player titles.
  1. Zoneseek's Avatar
    lots of angry fanboys up in this threadstop getting mad that people are leaving wow, and embrace it. the more people that leave, the harder blizzard will try to come up with good content and the better the game will be. competition is never a bad thing, even though so many people seem to think it is.
  1. Khalkaroth's Avatar
    The lost of that much subscribers is actually pretty good news in my opinion. 300000 is what... more or less 2.7% if you consider that World of Warcraft had at least 11 million subscribers as of june 2011? We could have lost way more subscribers with that big of a number, but we didn't.

    Hey, who would have thought that having that many subscribers would make that 2.7% bigger, hmm? 2.7% of 11000000 is 300000... 2.7% of. oh, I don't know... 1000000? just to rift some other MMO... who would have thought that this would equal to only 27000? Ironically, I think it would be a bigger deal if it was that game that lost 2.7% of his population.
  1. Chronoless's Avatar
    Hope hope they give us a ulduar 12 bosses, + an OS like raid. for instances I hope they give us 3 ICC instances Regular and heroic mode like they use to, and not a revise 2 instances that takes 4+ hours and 6x requeing for roles.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tang View Post
    You're drawing the wrong conclusion from those numbers. 600k left in part because of Rift. 300k left without any big MMO, in spite of the new push to attract customers as well as a major patch (remember that's -300k NET, not gross, so the actual losses were likely much higher).

    To me, that actually looks like dissatisfaction is gaining momentum, even if the numbers haven't. I expect to see a million+ losses for WoW in fiscal Q3, in part because of a lack of real content, and in part because of SWTOR and a lot of major single player titles.
    Yup imagine 300k without a good release mmo, what will happen when Guild Wars 2 and Star wars TOR comes out?
  1. Koeevu's Avatar
    Pretty much everyone I know that raided in BC and WOTLK stopped raiding in Cataclysm. Go go keep pleasing the players that get to play 70 hours a week with 9 (or 24) other skilled players, everybody else just do dailies. No matter what you say the height in raid participation was WOTLK Naxx tier.
  1. mtawney1313's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnulV View Post
    put this in perspective for you all:

    blizzard is losing 162 MILLION DOLLARS per year by losing 900k subs. that's a pretty large hit to a bottom line, is it not?
    Except they're now finding other means of generating revenue. Funny thing is the news post never mentioned that their revenue this year is STILL higher than last year at this time despite the loss in subs.
  1. davesurfer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtawney1313 View Post
    Except they're now finding other means of generating revenue. Funny thing is the news post never mentioned that their revenue this year is STILL higher than last year at this time despite the loss in subs.
    You are missing the fact that it is not just blizzard. CoD, love it or hate it, has been a cash cow"

    Activision grew its net income 53 percent and its adjusted results handily surpassed Wall Street's expectations thanks to strong demand for the digital offerings around its most popular games. Digital downloads of "Call of Duty" content

    Call of Duty:" whose latest installment was the top-selling game in the U.S. and Europe in the first half of the year, "continues to sell phenomenally well," said Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter.
  1. sicness's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tehnoobish1 View Post
    The didn't release "a raid shortly afterward", they actually delayed the release of Firelands and put out 4.1 as a quick measure to keep people amused. Firelands came out 6 months and 3 weeks after the release of cataclysm, so by your own statement of "every 6 months" they actually did fall behind. Whether or not a trend will show up or not is anyone's guess at this point, but you can't say that they have kept their word at all so far either.
    Based on what they said it, and when they said, they did keep their word. They stated they'd release content patches more often but with less content (essentially releasing the same amount of content in less overall time to make it more consistent), which is exactly what they did in releasing 4.2 shortly after 4.1. So far they have yet to be proven wrong with doing what they intended and the only thing we have to really judge them on so far has proven them right in their word.
  1. TitanG545's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranikotar View Post
    Then what's the point of raiding? It's nice to have stuff not every other person on the server has. T11 is easily accessible right now you know right? After the nerfs you have to actual try hard to wipe the raid on MOST bosses.

    Oh and me having a near full heroic t11 set makes me a hardcore raider? Not really. Oh and why the need for the best raid gear obtainable if all it's used for is doing 5 mans?
    THANK YOU, to many "casual players" want everything handed to them. You want the new and shiny stuff put some work behind it, and stop wanting everything for free. I will admit I haven't raided a LOT since WOTLK but I am certainly not complaining about not having my T11 or T12 shoulders. My guild is 5 out of 7 on FL so if I really want to get them I know how to open my mouth and ask to get in on some raids, but I haven't it is the summer and I don't want to devote the time right now to raiding. Mechanics are not challenging to figure out and we give people time to figure out the raids, even if it is our second 10 man group. Obviously the hardcore raiders are in our 1st string 10 man. Sigh I can't drop out of college sports and expect the recent super bowl champ to pick me up on there team, and then get pissed when they don't. Entitlement man, America suffers so bad from it.

    I seriously don't consider guilds doing FL's on normal as hardcore players, heck you can almost stumble into a guild looking for dps, heals, or tank for FL. Hardcore raiders are doing heroic versions buddy not reg versions of FL, I guess the epics haven't dropped out of the sky for this guy and many more complaining as much as him.

    Personally think it is to early for Deathwing, should release some more heroics since for the most part ZA/ZG are just time waster's for valor. Probably be 3/4 new heroics and a new raid, pre-Deathwing. Then release patch with Deathwing around March/April. Then release commercials for new expansion in June/July with it being released November/December of next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they raised the valor cap back up since most people will have all the valor gear by that time (4.3 release) that they will just be changing valor for CP.
  1. gnomeirl's Avatar
    I quit in June and continue to stay away from the game after 6 years of playing it. This news is vindication.

    For the past two years, I've been looking forward to the day Diablo III is released, but when it was announced this week that there would be an auction house and real money involved, I was completely turned off.

    Blizzard interprets the great amount of time people spend playing WoW as willingness to do anything they want. They are wrong. We spend a great deal of time playing their games, particularly WoW, because they're fun -- or were fun. FORCING people to play by making games grindy, by creating heavy requirements as incentive to play the game more, is foolish. Make the game fun and people will come; making them grindy so that we can't do anything else is ungrateful.

    A personal peeve of mine is the almost monthly, sometimes weekly, changes made to the game, particularly class changes. I realize that balancing the game is important, but it, again, FORCES people to abandon characters they've spent so much time on and start over. IT IS EXTREMELY TIRESOME. You may believe that more dissatisfaction springs from an unbalanced game, but it would be a mistake not to recognize this complaint as one of the major causes of lost subscribers.

    It is unfathomable to me that a company so wealthy and intelligent can't figure out why or make changes to prevent the loss of subscribers. They've been using a heavy hand when they should be using finesse.
  1. Coldkil's Avatar
    Just throwing my 0.02$ Vanilla times were awesome because everything ws new. There were major flaws in the game, bu no one was paying attention because they were too busy with the game. Years passed, an now: - WoW is old and slowly dying. It's a matter of fact, but people still like the game and still plays the game. WoW isn't dead right now. - People get bored everyday. People that leaves is completely fine, and most of the time is isn't a symptom of the game doing bad (but anyway, we're doing the same thing for 7 years). - We are now used to very high and continuosly increasing standards. WoW has set a completely new level, and there are many trying to get his spot, but simply they can't. Why? I don't know, i'm just not interested. - In Vanilla times, we didn't care about numbers. We just saw them rising. Now it seems that numbers are the only reason to play. I just search for fun in the game. And i found it. Some others didn't. Fine if they leave.
  1. Zechs-cenarius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Charblaze View Post
    Wow reading these comments just makes me frustrated.Everyone please stop having flame wars you're killing my brain cells.It seems only mmo-champ and the official forums are QQing. everyone else I know in game and out thinks its cool. What's wrong with you guys? There's no challenge to the game? Are you F***ing kidding me??? This game has been as hard as ever. You can't PUG firelands, you can barely PUG the other raids, Heroic firelands is IMPOSSIBLE, Zandalari heroics take HOURS, oh my god what other challenge do you want in the game? WoW is loosing subs because they got bored and will come back with the next patch. Why is it so hard to understand? 300k subs is nothing to you because you still play with millions more.

    Cant PUG firelands? what rock are you living under. Most pugs I see go 4/7. WoW is not just losing subs to boredom....its losing it because blizzard has lost touch with its playerbase. The state of the game is quite disheartening. Its improved since the beginning of cata however it is still not appealing to a lot of the customer base. Hyjal dailies=stupid. REQUIRED to do it for weeks at a time to unlock the next hub....seriously? makes it a chore. I can go on and on but the bottom line is the fact blizzard lost its touch with the playerbase.

    PS losing 300k subs is a BIG deal. Revenue lost is still revenue lost. Any company would see that massive lost and realign their stuff. A total of 900k over the course of 8 months or so its a MASSIVE hit. This is the wakeup call that blizzard needs.

    (Losing 900k subscriptions at 15 bucks per month is like what 13.5mil a month they are losing....so yeah tell that to a company that losing 13.5mil a month over the course of 8 months is nothing....thank baby jebus you are not a company accountant or financial manager.)
  1. Hoodi's Avatar
    300 subs is the normal summer loss , the 600k before that wasnt the norm so really the next quarter is the big one as this really only shows the normal 300 summer loss for a game that really is not growing.
  1. Malcho's Avatar
    I said what I needed to say. Perhaps certain individuals should take a step back and re-evaluate how they define the words "discussion" and "moderation," particularly before deciding it's a good idea to prune a thread of civil discourse or any stance of opposition to World of Warcraft in its current state.For good or for ill, even posting dissent and dissatisfaction with WoW is still discussion about WoW in boards appropriate to it.You've changed a lot, MMO-Champion.
  1. Axethor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomeirl View Post
    I quit in June and continue to stay away from the game after 6 years of playing it. This news is vindication.

    For the past two years, I've been looking forward to the day Diablo III is released, but when it was announced this week that there would be an auction house and real money involved, I was completely turned off.

    Blizzard interprets the great amount of time people spend playing WoW as willingness to do anything they want. They are wrong. We spend a great deal of time playing their games, particularly WoW, because they're fun -- or were fun. FORCING people to play by making games grindy, by creating heavy requirements as incentive to play the game more, is foolish. Make the game fun and people will come; making them grindy so that we can't do anything else is ungrateful.

    A personal peeve of mine is the almost monthly, sometimes weekly, changes made to the game, particularly class changes. I realize that balancing the game is important, but it, again, FORCES people to abandon characters they've spent so much time on and start over. IT IS EXTREMELY TIRESOME. You may believe that more dissatisfaction springs from an unbalanced game, but it would be a mistake not to recognize this complaint as one of the major causes of lost subscribers.

    It is unfathomable to me that a company so wealthy and intelligent can't figure out why or make changes to prevent the loss of subscribers. They've been using a heavy hand when they should be using finesse.
    Your not forced to do anything. I've stopped doing the dailies for now, even though I want the mount, and I've played an unholy DK faithfully until very recently. If you want to min/max and be the best, then thats fine, but Blizzard is not the one forcing you to do those thing, you are.
  1. Diggasson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomeirl View Post
    I quit in June and continue to stay away from the game after 6 years of playing it. This news is vindication.

    For the past two years, I've been looking forward to the day Diablo III is released, but when it was announced this week that there would be an auction house and real money involved, I was completely turned off.

    Blizzard interprets the great amount of time people spend playing WoW as willingness to do anything they want. They are wrong. We spend a great deal of time playing their games, particularly WoW, because they're fun -- or were fun. FORCING people to play by making games grindy, by creating heavy requirements as incentive to play the game more, is foolish. Make the game fun and people will come; making them grindy so that we can't do anything else is ungrateful.

    A personal peeve of mine is the almost monthly, sometimes weekly, changes made to the game, particularly class changes. I realize that balancing the game is important, but it, again, FORCES people to abandon characters they've spent so much time on and start over. IT IS EXTREMELY TIRESOME. You may believe that more dissatisfaction springs from an unbalanced game, but it would be a mistake not to recognize this complaint as one of the major causes of lost subscribers.

    It is unfathomable to me that a company so wealthy and intelligent can't figure out why or make changes to prevent the loss of subscribers. They've been using a heavy hand when they should be using finesse.
    With other words you were a bad player. if u cant adapt to new changes then its awesome that ur gone from the game. pls continue like this.
  1. Rivehn's Avatar
    Can anyone say Guild Wars 2? I'm pretty sure all those people who left are waiting for that game or at least most
  1. Imapanda's Avatar
    Blizzard isn't going to woo in new players with more "dungeons and raids and more epic purps!" They lost their innovative feel and disregard new features because of it being "too hard" or the "players wont like it", even something as meager as a new battlefield, dance studio, or cosmetic slots seems to be ignored. It's all just about new gear and stupid new reasons to fart around the capitals waiting for a queue to tick down. The community feel and sense of accomplishment is dead in WoW, there isn't any reason I see in the near future to why I would resubscribe.

    ---------- Post added 2011-08-04 at 12:02 PM ----------

    It's going to continue dying. They've already lost nearly 1,000,000 people in a little more than half a year, That's more than 1/10th of the subscribers, most of these been playing since vanilla 4 years ago.. Their next X-pac will likely just push in a some form of Free2Play, some sort of hail-mary throw to keep their game from it's inevitable demise.
  1. Scream And Fly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanG545 View Post
    THANK YOU, to many "casual players" want everything handed to them. You want the new and shiny stuff put some work behind it, and stop wanting everything for free.
    I'm a casual player and I'll take a chance on speaking for many casual players. I think you're completely wrong in what you think casuals want out of the game. My hunter is in full T11 359 with some 378s and I'm perfectly happy with that. For the limited time I can invest in WoW, I work hard at it and casual players indeed do want to work for their gear. That's the fun and reward we get from WoW, isn't it? The issue is that some essential normal-mode quality gear seems completely out of reach for some casual players. For example - shoulders and helm tokens were very hard to obtain for many people before the nerfs. Normal-mode dungeons are for the more casual players and while I am not personally complaining about anything specific as far as difficulty, I do think some of the raid bosses are a bit tough for casual guilds and them having to wait for an end-of-life nerf is kinda demoralizing. Some people would say that Nefarian was "sooooo easy" pre-nerf, but I thought it was a very hard fight before the nerf. That's just me I guess.

    The hardcore people will always have their heroic loot and I know for the most part, I will never have heroic armor. That's perfectly fine with me and I'm proud of my toon for what it has. I think that those players that raid four days a week and devote themselves to the game should be rewarded for it - and there are many things those players can obtain for their added effort. Most WoW players are not hardcore players, and we should have some opportunity to have a full raid experience as well - not saying it should be easy, but maybe just some raids may be tweaked a bit in normal mode if they're too hard for casual players.

    Just my opinion. Oh, and this is my humble hunter that I'm happy playing: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...china/advanced

Site Navigation