MMO-Champion - Character Activity Stats, Poll, Trip to Blizzcon Contest, MMO Report
Stats: Characters that reached LVL 85 in Cataclysm
More interesting stats for you this week! With all the talk about the death of WoW, we decided to take a look at the percentage of characters that made it from being level 80 during Wrath of the Lich King to level 85 today. These stats compare a sample of 1M+ characters from early 2010 and checks which players reached level 85. Keep in mind a few things before interpreting these stats:


  • Death Knight is the least leveled class because everyone leveled one to 80 during WotLK to be one of the cool kids. Including a fair amount of people who ended up not liking it.
  • People didn't hit the "Nothing left to do on my main character, better reroll!" wall that they encountered in WotLK, raids were properly balanced and people didn't spend their first months steamrolling Naxxramas.

Don't see a chart? Enable javascript!

Class Playing Cataclysm
Mage 37.82%
Druid 36.84%
Hunter 36.47%
Priest 36.30%
Warrior 35.83%
Shaman 34.77%
Warlock 34.17%
Paladin 33.45%
Rogue 29.56%
Death Knight 25.58%


Poll: Are you still playing WoW?
We've been working on the stats above for a few days and we're wondering, are you still playing WoW, or just reading MMO-Champion to know when to come back?



Curse Premium Members: Win a Trip to Blizzcon!
If you are a Curse Premium Member you can enter to win an all expenses paid trip for two to Blizzcon! While we can't send everyone to Blizzcon, we can give away some SSDs, Headsets, Mounts, and Pets as well! The contest is also open to non Premium Members as well; see the Rules for more information on how to enter. You must be a US Resident to enter.

Prizes
  • Grand Prize: All Expenses Paid Trip for Two to Blizzcon!
  • 4 x Samsung Solid State Hard Drive
  • 8 x Logitech Gaming Headset
  • 20 x Winged Guardian Mount
  • 40 x Lil Ragnaros In-Game Pet

Check out the contest page for more information, and good luck!



The MMO Report
What better way to start off your week than with another episode of The MMO Report!

This article was originally published in forum thread: Character Activity Stats, Poll, Trip to Blizzcon Contest, MMO Report started by chaud View original post
Comments 227 Comments
  1. Trispec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tridus View Post
    Given how high that "No" number is in the poll (and I'm one of them, the writing in Cataclysm is so awful that actually reading a quest makes my eyes bleed) I wonder if MMO Champ should add a section for other games? If the people watching to know when to come back to WoW are playing something else in the mean time, it'd be a built in audience.
    There is a section for other games.
  1. Vampire Boy's Avatar
    People haven't been leveling as many alts as in WotLK because the five Cata zones get extremely boring because of their linear structure. This helped Blizzard to tell a more cohesive story, but it is bad news to altoholics.
  1. Drizztcz's Avatar
    So not fair that only Americans can enter
  1. Edlarel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Boy View Post
    People haven't been leveling as many alts as in WotLK because the five Cata zones get extremely boring because of their linear structure. This helped Blizzard to tell a more cohesive story, but it is bad news to altoholics.
    I disagree. I happen to be enjoying myself leveling up my 4th 85 right now (which just so happens to be my DK). Granted, I am taking long breaks right now between leveling up toons, but that's mostly to get one geared up before moving on.
  1. Pendraeg's Avatar
    One thing you guys have to remember here, this is PERCENTAGE! These aren't absolute numbers. If there were twice as many lvl 80 Paladins on your realm than mages, and only 33.45% of the paladins and 37.82% of mages went to 85, and there's still 76.89% more paladins than mages at 85.
  1. eleméó's Avatar
    WoW is awesome, no matter what people say, and Blizzard is awesomer. Yes, I said awesomer.

    Edit (Boubouille) - Author might have been infracted and his post might have been changed for saying stupid stuff.
  1. Ularius's Avatar
    Wow, that is a lot of people saying no. Almost 40% aren't playing...
  1. Sodia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eleméó View Post
    WoW is awesome, no matter what people say, and Blizzard is awesomer. Yes, I said awesomer.
    huh whot ??O_o
  1. reve's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Also, Bird with Hat is cooler than Smug Cat right
    Wouldn't have said it better.

    Also I'd ignore te poll for like 24 hours because the happy potatoes that are playing are actually ingame and takes them some time to come and vote. So far the results are too strange to be true.
  1. Snowhawk's Avatar
    Still playing, but have been so busy doing all kinds of things on my paladin (who was my 3rd 80), I haven't even touched my two shaman until last week when I started leveling the Alliance one. ... Then my account expired and I'm broke until payday. Having a hell of a lot more fun in Cata than Wrath.
  1. Mammoth's Avatar
    Hi5 to warriors, the #1 melee class for levelling up to 85 (as a % of those already existing).
  1. mtawney1313's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eleméó View Post
    WoW is awesome, no matter what people say, and Blizzard is awesomer. Yes, I said awesomer.

    Edit (Boubouille) - Author might have been infracted and his post might have been changed for saying stupid stuff.
    Hahahahahahaha
  1. greyghost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    Also I'd ignore te poll for like 24 hours because the happy potatoes that are playing are actually ingame and takes them some time to come and vote. So far the results are too strange to be true.
    Eh, not really.

    When I took a 9-month break from WoW I still regularly checked MMO-Champion. It does not surprise me that there's a sizable amount of former players that still come by this site.
  1. Worgoblin's Avatar
    Not currently playing WOW at the moment. Need a break from MMO's in general. I'll be back in 4.3 or 4.4 or at the latest when they let me be a Pandaren
  1. reve's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
    Eh, not really.

    When I took a 9-month break from WoW I still regularly checked MMO-Champion. It does not surprise me that there's a sizable amount of former players that still come by this site.
    Well yes, indeed, I am one of them too after all. But this is like 40 minutes after the poll was posted, I'd give it some time to settle down a bit.
  1. mtawney1313's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundistaya View Post
    Interesting. Even though it "kinda" says that mages are most played class (I'm one myself :P) I must say that my realm is filled with paladins... (and hunters and druids but they were # 2 and 3 anyway lol)
    It's not a "most played" poll -_-. It's a percentage of classes from 80 that went to 85. So Death knights could have been 3 million strong at 80 while mages were only at 1 million (this is an EXAMPLE not the actual situation). if 33% of the Death Knights went to 85 and 80% of the mages, there would still be more level 85 Death Knights (1 million DK's and 800k mages).
  1. jayremy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xrobar View Post
    first ayayayaya

    anyway im suprised dks are the lowest considering how many were in wrath
    I for one liked old frost tanking, and Blood DPS talent trees. I was considering making a DK my main (instead i quit the game) new DKs kind of sucked, Blood was awesome and self healing to be substantially noticeable like it was in WotLK for all classes that had it, especially for PvE.
    I hate a number of the class changes, leveling to 85 sucked.

    It was a long process it felt, quit boring (I did easy leveling enough already), instead of feeling like I was getting stronger I was getting weaker, feeling like crap, running out of many on every toon that used it, hard to solo more than 2 mobs, AoEing = waste of mana and time/space on bar, again all the breaks between mobs i had to take, dispel nerfs (affecting PvE too) self healing/siphoning total negligible crap for PvE 81-85.

    Everything just took longer to accomplish less, I am okay with that at max level, but not during the boring grinding stages of rep, quests, leveling and obtaining measly blues and greens.


    The content of this game is just stale, and having to wait for ever for my favorite role - DPS - totally sucked for endgame. I hate tank and spanks, I did some healing at 85, I hate it because I hate worrying about mana over keeping up on heals instead. Besides healing in this game is way too much of a passive role, its not active and it doesn't help in pushing fights, kind of the same with tanking (but I don't like being the one at the mercy of the healer) dealing negligible damage.

    So much stuff is going for Cata I JUST DON'T LIKE, class changes to the content (of dungeons and raids) was either changed in so many negative ways, or just too old and boring AI that beats a tank a whole fight and nothing else.
  1. Conscious's Avatar
    Completely Smh at this front page. Really lowers credibility imo.'All the talk about the death of wow'; Really? Like every other day, why is it so important now, because they actually are finally losing subscriptions?? Never thought Boub would have to come to the defense of Blizzard like they are in need or something.
  1. mtawney1313's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jayremy View Post
    I for one liked old frost tanking, and Blood DPS talent trees. I was considering making a DK my main (instead i quit the game) new DKs kind of sucked, Blood was awesome and self healing to be substantially noticeable like it was in WotLK for all classes that had it, especially for PvE.
    I hate a number of the class changes, leveling to 85 sucked.

    It was a long process it felt, quit boring (I did easy leveling enough already), instead of feeling like I was getting stronger I was getting weaker, feeling like crap, running out of many on every toon that used it, hard to solo more than 2 mobs, AoEing = waste of mana and time/space on bar, again all the breaks between mobs i had to take, dispel nerfs (affecting PvE too) self healing/siphoning total negligible crap for PvE 81-85.

    Everything just took longer to accomplish less, I am okay with that at max level, but not during the boring grinding stages of rep, quests, leveling and obtaining measly blues and greens.


    The content of this game is just stale, and having to wait for ever for my favorite role - DPS - totally sucked for endgame. I hate tank and spanks, I did some healing at 85, I hate it because I hate worrying about mana over keeping up on heals instead. Besides healing in this game is way too much of a passive role, its not active and it doesn't help in pushing fights, kind of the same with tanking (but I don't like being the one at the mercy of the healer) dealing negligible damage.

    So much stuff is going for Cata I JUST DON'T LIKE, class changes to the content (of dungeons and raids) was either changed in so many negative ways, or just too old and boring AI that beats a tank a whole fight and nothing else.
    TLDR: I like this game being easy and I'm a meter pusher.
  1. Pope's Avatar
    Interesting, a 1:3 ratio on active players vs. visitors.

Site Navigation