MMO-Champion - Character Activity Stats, Poll, Trip to Blizzcon Contest, MMO Report
Stats: Characters that reached LVL 85 in Cataclysm
More interesting stats for you this week! With all the talk about the death of WoW, we decided to take a look at the percentage of characters that made it from being level 80 during Wrath of the Lich King to level 85 today. These stats compare a sample of 1M+ characters from early 2010 and checks which players reached level 85. Keep in mind a few things before interpreting these stats:


  • Death Knight is the least leveled class because everyone leveled one to 80 during WotLK to be one of the cool kids. Including a fair amount of people who ended up not liking it.
  • People didn't hit the "Nothing left to do on my main character, better reroll!" wall that they encountered in WotLK, raids were properly balanced and people didn't spend their first months steamrolling Naxxramas.

Don't see a chart? Enable javascript!

Class Playing Cataclysm
Mage 37.82%
Druid 36.84%
Hunter 36.47%
Priest 36.30%
Warrior 35.83%
Shaman 34.77%
Warlock 34.17%
Paladin 33.45%
Rogue 29.56%
Death Knight 25.58%


Poll: Are you still playing WoW?
We've been working on the stats above for a few days and we're wondering, are you still playing WoW, or just reading MMO-Champion to know when to come back?



Curse Premium Members: Win a Trip to Blizzcon!
If you are a Curse Premium Member you can enter to win an all expenses paid trip for two to Blizzcon! While we can't send everyone to Blizzcon, we can give away some SSDs, Headsets, Mounts, and Pets as well! The contest is also open to non Premium Members as well; see the Rules for more information on how to enter. You must be a US Resident to enter.

Prizes
  • Grand Prize: All Expenses Paid Trip for Two to Blizzcon!
  • 4 x Samsung Solid State Hard Drive
  • 8 x Logitech Gaming Headset
  • 20 x Winged Guardian Mount
  • 40 x Lil Ragnaros In-Game Pet

Check out the contest page for more information, and good luck!



The MMO Report
What better way to start off your week than with another episode of The MMO Report!

This article was originally published in forum thread: Character Activity Stats, Poll, Trip to Blizzcon Contest, MMO Report started by chaud View original post
Comments 227 Comments
  1. Edison's Avatar
    I'm surprised that DK was lowest
  1. ungar's Avatar
    where did you get these stats? I'm curious as to the quality/validity of these numbers, since I don't see a source. there may be a way to check armory, but for one million profiles you must have a type of bot that checked for you. did you double check the work? it seems really hokey and without a source I have to assume you made up the numbers. though the chart is pretty...
  1. Jockenponken's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammonoske View Post
    Flying someone from another country is very expansive.. In country it is much much cheaper and the seats you get are in cargo. Would you want to fly for X hours in those seats? I wouldn't.
    Every contest so far thats been on MMO Champion has been for US residents only unless its small things like pets etc that you can buy for pocket change.
  1. jayremy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    Completely Smh at this front page. Really lowers credibility imo.'All the talk about the death of wow'; Really? Like every other day, why is it so important now, because they actually are finally losing subscriptions?? Never thought Boub would have to come to the defense of Blizzard like they are in need or something.
    Why do you say they are talking about the death of WoW. Nobody is saying it is dying, that would be a freaking far stretch to to assume that is what they meant, because the death of WoW would have to be them having less than a million players which I think Blizzard will hold well over a couple millions subs fr the next many years.

    They may lose like 1-2 million through time/age and shooting their-selves in the foot, but likely will lose 5-6 million through the many big time hitter MMOs that will come out within a year from now.

    Even if they lost the highest of numbers from what I said, it would be 11-8million still leaving 3 million. 3 million is far from dead.

    WoW is losing popularity and/ its intrigue to its players, that is a fact. Since the game WAS so big and still is losing its popularity will likely not be something to happen quietly in the night as you may wish.

    Stop complaining about the topics others wish to discuss, you don't have to read them first off, let alone reply with a negative tone, implying people are bad for posting so.
  1. bregtann's Avatar
    I disagree with this statement:
    People didn't hit the "Nothing left to do on my main character, better reroll!" wall that they encountered in WotLK
    Generally, I think many people think there is less to do in endgame in Cata than there was in WotLK. While the raids were harder yes, a lot of people became left out due to the collpase of 25-man raiding, and the merging of 10-man and 25-man lookout, even amongs the ones who did get to raid. We know that Blizz got worried about the overall level of participation in raids in Cata (hence the super-nerf to T11 in 4.3 and marketing it under the slogan of "PUGGABLE raids!".Surely there have been more incentives, not less, to say "nothing to do, I should level a new alt" in Cata.Furthermore, new races and new content and quests in Azeroth should encourage levelling.If anything, Cata should have been the "levelling more alts" expansion. If it isn't, something is seriously wrong.
  1. Sickness's Avatar
    aww thats rubbish that im a curse premium member but only available to the us people... boooooooooooooooooooooo
  1. Sw1tch's Avatar
    What people don't understand is that "The death of WoW" is an incredibly relative phrase. For instance the death of wow for ME would be when no one is raiding anymore. There still may be 3M + people, but if no one is raiding the game is worthless to me. On a side note i expect GW2 to put a rather large dent in their hardcore player base (If the game lives up to its predecessor at least 3-4 million). They will also lose at least another 300k to D3, but that's their game so it's irrelevant.
  1. Iceleet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sw1tch View Post
    What people don't understand is that "The death of WoW" is an incredibly relative phrase. For instance the death of wow for ME would be when no one is raiding anymore. There still may be 3M + people, but if no one is raiding the game is worthless to me. On a side note i expect GW2 to put a rather large dent in their hardcore player base (If the game lives up to its predecessor at least 3-4 million). They will also lose at least another 300k to D3, but that's their game so it's irrelevant.
    Why would that be irrelevant? WoW is a monthly payment game, in the long run they'll lose money.
    Playing D3 doesn't necessarily mean quitting WoW, you can play both games.
  1. Wrathcrab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceleet View Post
    Why would that be irrelevant? WoW is a monthly payment game, in the long run they'll lose money.
    Playing D3 doesn't necessarily mean quitting WoW, you can play both games.
    Wonder how much that real money AH will make for them though since there's sure to be a % cut
  1. Yseraboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    That's the point ... They were so many in wrath because it was THE NEW CLASS OMG, but people went back to their old main for Cataclysm when they realized they don't like DK as much as they thought.

    Those are relative stats, there's still a lot of DKs, just not as much as the amount of DKs in WotLK.
    I still think the reason a lot of people "don't like the DK as much as they thought" is that the first "Hero" class has been demoted to being just another class.

    The "you can do it all" class has now been pigeon-holed into a couple of defined roles - just like every other class.

    What's to like about that?
  1. grubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yseraboy View Post
    I still think the reason a lot of people "don't like the DK as much as they thought" is that the first "Hero" class has been demoted to being just another class.

    The "you can do it all" class has now been pigeon-holed into a couple of defined roles - just like every other class.

    What's to like about that?
    The "you can do it all" class performs the same two roles now as it did when it was introduced: tanking and DPS.
  1. sulfuric's Avatar
    I will never come back to WoW, its a money making machine that bait and switched its original playerbase and then at the first scent of new money dropped every last core belief and value that drew in their initial playerbase and success in order to court and assuage its new instant gratification casual playerbase. Add that to your poll
  1. chorx's Avatar
    The amount of people "not playing" anymore really surprises me. I wonder how many of those people are like me. I dont hate blizzard, I like wow a lot, and I love everything about the game, I just played it for a couple years, and the game feels aged to me. nothing good lasts forever, and I felt like it was my time to move on. I didn't come to a definitive point where I was like "IM DONE WITH THIS GAME SCREW IT" I just didn't log on one day, and haven't been on in 6 months. Still very excited about everything blizzard does, and I still keep up on everything that goes on in wow, i just don't pour anymore time into it.
  1. det's Avatar
    Hm....so far MMO champions visitors are 33% Ex-Players. Interesting.
  1. Decimation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grubba View Post
    The "you can do it all" class performs the same two roles now as it did when it was introduced: tanking and DPS.
    Yes, in a watered down fashion from what Wrath introduced them as. From 3 to 1 tanking specs, and 3 to 2 dps specs is a downgrade. Inb4 the 'it was impossible to balance, its better this way' crowd - I will make no mention of which is better, as that IMO is more about perception and opinion.
  1. Gnasnimadan's Avatar
    What people seem to forget about the statistic is that it's a PERCENTAGE and it goes from those that leveled to 80 to 85, so basicly the amount of level 85 DKs we see now is 25.58% of the total DKs at level 80.

    Death Knight is the least leveled class because everyone leveled one to 80 during WotLK to be one of the cool kids. Including a fair amount of people who ended up not liking it.
    My DK is only level 71....therefor your statement is flawed.
  1. det's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post
    I will never come back to WoW, its a money making machine that bait and switched its original playerbase and then at the first scent of new money dropped every last core belief and value that drew in their initial playerbase and success in order to court and assuage its new instant gratification casual playerbase. Add that to your poll
    What was the "original player base"? The one in beta? The 2 million it had when MC was released? The 5 million it had when TBC was announced? The 3000 players that actually managed to complete Naxx 1.0?

    According to Blizzard, over 30 million people worldwide have played the game. Define "original player base".
  1. sabe's Avatar
    People didn't hit the "Nothing left to do on my main character, better reroll!" wall that they encountered in WotLK, raids were properly balanced and people didn't spend their first months steamrolling Naxxramas.

    I dont agree with this.
  1. Worgoblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post
    I will never come back to WoW, its a money making machine that bait and switched its original playerbase


    This nonsense is even worse than blind fanboyism. It's fine if you don't want to play WOW anymore, but this drama you're spewing is silly. All MMO companies are pretty much the same.
  1. Boubouille's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ungar View Post
    where did you get these stats? I'm curious as to the quality/validity of these numbers, since I don't see a source. there may be a way to check armory, but for one million profiles you must have a type of bot that checked for you. did you double check the work? it seems really hokey and without a source I have to assume you made up the numbers. though the chart is pretty...
    Armory scan post 3.3 and armory scan post 4.2.

Site Navigation