MMO-Champion - Patch 4.3 Interviews, Blue Posts, Diablo III Beta, Art Gallery Update
Update - Clarified a few misquotes apparently, thankfully everything can be blamed on chaud.

Interviews: Warcraft After Cataclysm
Tom Chilton and Greg Street have been making the rounds again with interviews on IGN and Gamasutra.

Patch 4.3
  • If you add up all of the Deathwing encounter stages, it will be the longest fight in the game.
  • Each stage of the fight will take place in a different location and offer some loot.
  • The encounter starts at Wyrmrest Temple, progressing toward the players being on Deathwing's back while he is flying toward The Maelstrom.
  • The new five man encounters will build up to the Deathwing fight, similar to how the Icecrown five man instances built up to the Lich King.
  • To combat the complaints of armor always looking the same, there is a sub-lead who is in charge of guiding the art team to produce new styles not found in the game yet.

After Cataclysm
  • More armor customization could be coming in the future; Transmogrification was a solution that could be finished in time for Patch 4.3.
  • After Patch 4.3, and the world event, the team is going to focus on keeping players entertained and enjoying the game as well as new and potentially returning players.
  • On Mists of Pandaria: "Most of the time when we do anything panda-related it's going to be a comic book or a figurine or something like that."
  • There are more people that played World of Warcraft but no longer play World of Warcraft than currently play World of Warcraft
  • They believe that each spec plays like a separate class, making the game feel as if there are 30 classes.
  • Player created content is still in the back of their minds because of how well it worked in Starcraft II. Developing tools for players would take a lot of work, but the reward would be great as well.


Blue Posts
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Worgen Mounts
These mounts are mainly being added to even up the number of mounts Alliance players can get, compared to Horde players. Mount collectors and those of you interested in going for the mount achievement have been asking for this for a while, and the additional horses will address that issue.

The Worgen's unique racial mount equivalent is the Running Wild skill. That's not going anywhere. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Transmogrification: Incomplete tier sets
This is going to be half the fun for a lot of people looking forward to Transmogrification; finding matching sets and combinations that look awesome together

While it's too early to say for sure, it's possible that after this feature launches, there will be a number of items that people request become available to Transmogrify. We're going to monitor this feedback and hopefully be able to build on the feature based on that, however, that's not to say every item people ask for will suddenly appear in the game. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Three Talent Specs
Indeed, as Xarthat said, we're still really keen for players to put a lot of thought and decision into their character's chosen talent specs.

Sure, it would be handy to have more specs lined up to swap in or out when faced with a different situation, but right now we feel that your talent spec(s) should be something you choose, maybe refine over time, and hopefully pwn with. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Diablo III Beta Opt In
It is almost time for Diablo III Beta, Blizzard posted another beta opt in reminder on the official blog and DiabloFans has some additional leaked gameplay to go with the screenshots below.
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
Interested in signing up for an advance look at Diablo’s coming invasion of Sanctuary? To be eligible to participate in the Diablo III beta test, you need an active Battle.net account with any Blizzard game title attached to it. If you don’t already have an account, it’s easy to create one. Once you’ve set up a Battle.net account, or if you’ve already got one, you can access it by visiting http://us.battle.net/en/ and clicking the Account button on the upper right. Then, to opt into the beta, just click the Games & Codes section of your Account Management page, and then select the Beta Profile Settings option from the drop-down menu. You’ll be prompted to download the System Check beta opt-in application; running it will opt you in to the Diablo III beta. If your system specifications change, you can run the System Check application again to update your information.

While running the System Check application doesn’t guarantee you a place in the Diablo III beta, we wish you luck and hope to see you in Sanctuary.

FAQ:
How are beta test participants selected from the opt-in pool?
Beta testers are chosen according to their system specifications and other factors, including an element of luck. Our goal is to have a good variety of system types to best test compatibility.

Will there be any other ways to get into the beta besides the opt-in?
We’ll very likely be providing beta entry giveaways through various promotions on our sites, as well as through our official fansites. We’ll have information available on these promotions as they approach.

How many players do you plan to invite to the beta test?
The number of players we invite will be based on our testing needs. If during the course of testing we determine we need more players to participate, we’ll invite more.

What game content will be available in the beta?
You’ll be able to try out all five character classes and experience the early stages of Diablo III from the start of the game through the Skeleton King encounter. You’ll be able to interact with new and returning characters in New Tristram and fight the reawakened evils emanating from the cursed Tristram Cathedral.

Will the PvP arenas be available in the beta?
We don’t plan to include the PvP arenas in the beta test.

How long will the beta test last?
We have not determined an exact date for the end of the beta test. We will notify participants when the beta test is nearing completion.

Will the Diablo III Auction House be available in the beta?
We currently plan to test the functionality of the Diablo III gold-based auction house sometime after the initial beta launch.

Will Mac users be able to participate in the beta?
Yes, Mac users will be able to participate in the beta at the same time as Windows users.




Burning Crusade Art Gallery Updated
The Burning Crusade game art gallery has been updated with four new pieces.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Patch 4.3 Interviews, Blue Posts, Diablo III Beta, Art Gallery Update started by chaud View original post
Comments 311 Comments
  1. baldoora's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plosion View Post
    You can do whatever now, but there's not that much purpose (there was little when it was considered "meaningful", imagine now..).

    back in the day I meant when the endgame wasn't as bleak and low quality as now. I mean, we were promised more content than ever before with cata, we are getting less and less, and worse too.
    Yeah....You know, all the new zones, changes to old zones, the new instances, the new talent trees, a complete reworking for some classes, the change to tanking and healing, new raids...yeah, they didn't really give us anything, what a scam!
  1. Delta279's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baikalsan View Post
    What? Non raiders had nothing to do back then, MC was god aweful, boss mechanics were totally lame back then as well. As a non raider you only a hand ful of dungeons you could do, rep grind was a lot of times useless as well.

    If Blizzard would release Vanilla now it would flap hardcore, back then it was the shit but now it is literally shit.
    I have a question. Did you start playing WoW when WoTLK came out?
  1. plosion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baikalsan View Post
    What? Non raiders had nothing to do back then, MC was god aweful, boss mechanics were totally lame back then as well. As a non raider you only a hand ful of dungeons you could do, rep grind was a lot of times useless as well.

    If Blizzard would release Vanilla now it would flap hardcore, back then it was the shit but now it is literally shit.
    I didn't say it was all good. Or that it would be a sustainable model by today's standards.
  1. Joakim111's Avatar
    "Transmogrification was a solution that could be finished in time for Patch 4.3."

    This better not mean it's gonna be delayed :< It's these kind of features that keep games envolving, despite the fact that a similar feature exist within other games.
  1. Baikalsan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta279 View Post
    I have a question. Did you start playing WoW when WoTLK came out?
    December 2004 on US servers because it wasn't avaiable here in Germany.


    Feel free to refute any of my points.
  1. Kurgath's Avatar
    On Mists of Pandaria: "Most of the time when we do anything panda-related it's going to be a comic book or a figurine or something like that."Most of the time Yep, it's the next expansion alright!
  1. plosion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baldoora View Post
    Yeah....You know, all the new zones, changes to old zones, the new instances, the new talent trees, a complete reworking for some classes, the change to tanking and healing, new raids...yeah, they didn't really give us anything, what a scam!
    Almost a year has passed, after the expansion they did drop the goddamn ball, content stream has slowed down, and quality took a nose dive.

    4.1 anyone? 60 new dailies anyone?
  1. baldoora's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta279 View Post
    I have a question. Did you start playing WoW when WoTLK came out?
    I have a question, why are you evading giving proper counter-arguments and rather result to implying that the fellow that gives an opinion opposite to yours started playing at a later date that you claim to have?
  1. mysticx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta279 View Post
    I have a question. Did you start playing WoW when WoTLK came out?
    Well, i've been playing since vanilla, and he's right, you had Strat, Scholo, Dire maul and UBRS/LBRS (All harder than current heroics, so it was a 50/50 toss-up between wasting your time because nothing useful dropped and wasting your time because the group fell apart halfway through), farming Tyr's hand for something i can't remember anymore, and... well that was it really, aside from some ridiculous rep-grinds of course, it was truly "Raid or die" back then, great for the raiders (proclaiming "I have T2, worship me!" in IF and stuff like that), not so great for the non-raiders.

    Saying MC was more than tank 'n spank (With dispel-spam duty for certain classes) would be blatant lying, and the "Warriors only tank, pallies/druids/shaman only heal"-thing back then must have ruffled quite a few feathers back then as well, i agree that if vanilla was released right now as it was back then, we'd have an epic flop on our hands :P
  1. Alanar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Revrant View Post
    Sigh, no, not at all, guys, people were upset over the low quality of the end game content, not because it was "more" accessible, it was really less accessible, and also less rewarding, reused five man EVERYTHING, crappy looking point gear with much higher grinds, the tier armor being rather bleh this expansion, the much smaller 80-85 experience, the dropping of non-recycled content meant for Vashj'ir replaced with recycled old world junk. B-Team, B for Bad.
    exactly what i was thinking, cataclysm is all B team
  1. Delta279's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baikalsan View Post
    December 2004 on US servers because it wasn't avaiable here in Germany.


    Feel free to refute any of my points.
    Had a theory about something but I was proven wrong.

    You state your opinions and I state mine.

    I've only played since BC came out and I don't really have an opinion on Vanilla besides it being Vanilla WoW. I loved BC and always will. Course it suck to many people's eyes but not mine Lol.
  1. Baikalsan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Well, i've been playing since vanilla, and he's right, you had Strat, Scholo, Dire maul and UBRS/LBRS (All harder than current heroics, so it was a 50/50 toss-up between wasting your time because nothing useful dropped and wasting your time because the group fell apart halfway through), farming Tyr's hand for something i can't remember anymore, and... well that was it really, aside from some ridiculous rep-grinds of course, it was truly "Raid or die" back then, great for the raiders (proclaiming "I have T2, worship me!" in IF and stuff like that), not so great for the non-raiders.

    Saying MC was more than tank 'n spank (With dispel-spam duty for certain classes) would be blatant lying, and the "Warriors only tank, pallies/druids/shaman only heal"-thing back then must have ruffled quite a few feathers back then as well, i agree that if vanilla was released right now as it was back then, we'd have an epic flop on our hands :P
    God I remember the IF bridge camping by raiders, some of them stood there for hours (obviously being afk but whatever) and I think this is partly the reason why a lot of people miss those times, they can't be that special anymore in todays WoW.
  1. Delta279's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baldoora View Post
    I have a question, why are you evading giving proper counter-arguments and rather result to implying that the fellow that gives an opinion opposite to yours started playing at a later date that you claim to have?
    Why? Simply because I don't have to really. No other way to put it. He has his opinions and I have mine. If I attacked his opinions and I know he will defend it. I would want him to do that or just agree to how I see things. Like "I see what you are saying but etc etc etc..."
  1. Haldy's Avatar
    Guess we shouldn't be surprised that the final boss of the rehash expansion, is 1 boss encounter spread across locations that already exist in game. No new raid art or mobs.

    I hope this means the devs have really been going with it for the next expansion. Either that or they have given up on wow
  1. Delta279's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haldy View Post
    Guess we shouldn't be surprised that the final boss of the rehash expansion, is 1 boss encounter spread across locations that already exist in game. No new raid art or mobs.

    I hope this means the devs have really been going with it for the next expansion. Either that or they have given up on wow
    It is anybody guess on what they're going to do for the next expansion.
  1. Nesingwary-Eliada's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by errosync View Post
    Then you didn't play Wrath at all; like, you literally bought the box/digital copy, installed it and then never signed on. The ONLY good thing that came out of Wrath was Ulduar, that's it. The content was too easy (yes, even the Heroic mode content), the balance was rocky, and to even maintain the bottom level of performance, you had to put in inordinate amount of hours into the game because the content was so easy and the system was so streamlined.
    OBVIOUSLY he did play it errosync (hence him expressing his disagreement with it getting slammed), and CLEARLY he liked it. It is not a fact that Ulduar was the best thing that came from Wrath, it is an opinion. I could easily give examples of a lot of other things i thought were great about Wrath. Various features like the looking for dungeon tool have been a godsend for me, I loved some of the shorter/quicker dungeons I could do during my busy week of studying, loved that I could find raid groups easily to experience end-game if I couldn't match a guild's raid schedule, loved the smoother questing experience in... oh wait... maybe I shouldn't because that would make me an idiot wouldn't it? People like me are clearly stupid for enjoying what you didn't and if I say more of what I like about Wrath you might inform everybody here that I didn't play it; like I literally bought the box/digital copy, installed it and then never signed on.

    Quote Originally Posted by errosync View Post
    Tons of people keep trying to polish Wrath up and make it sound like it was fun-party-times, but polishing a flaming turd doesn't stop it from being a flaming turd.
    Yep. Tons of people seemed to enjoy it. Sorry that makes you so furious but, unfortunately, the entire playerbase doesn't always agree with your personal beliefs and claims. It totally sucks, I know.

    Love that you then went on to praise the class balance of Cataclysm and more or less call the person you quoted an idiot for not seeing it your way.

    Stay classy.
  1. huldu's Avatar
    People quit because raids were too easy... rofl? I was leading one of the biggest guilds on my server and they couldn't do shit in the new cata raids. Most people leveled characters to 85 and pvp or just rerolled, some tried to switch to "raiding" guilds but eventually left them as well. Blizz wanted people to think the raids were accessible by everyone that is true. The truth is they were just as hard as ever, nothing really changed. You can't just pick up 10 random people and head off to a raid and expect to defeat it in WoW. It just doesn't work. It's a flaw in the game. I got the impression content was to be played by everyone not just the "elite". Wasn't that the whole damn reason they added "heroic" modes to begin with? No. Apparently not. People leave because WoW is no longer unique and stands out. Nothing has truly changed over the years and people are catching on. At first most people just played WoW because it was unique and a breeze of fresh wind in the mmo genre. Right now it's the same old crap everyone else does. They are adding nothing new. They are doing what mmo's did long before WoW, they catered to the "elite" players. What do you think gonna happen when a game comes along like WoW did and rattle the cage - showing that content should be accessible to everyone playing, not just the self-proclaimed "elite"? The only thing that makes the "elite" stand out is the amount of time they spend playing the game. Not all of us have this "time" to spend on a silly game. We have other games to play that offer far more joy for time invested.

    <edit> Wow... this site really blows my mind. I had everything lined up properly and now it's just a wall of text. Good job. It's like just like WoW! Huge expectations and massive fail.
  1. baldoora's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta279 View Post

    I just don't like to be attacked or being the one attacking because of either me or someone else stating an opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta279 View Post
    I have a question. Did you start playing WoW when WoTLK came out?
    Well, when your answer to someones argument is a thinly veiled "insult" it gives quite bad impression doesn't it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Delta279 View Post
    Also to the person stating that I should try doing a counter-argument about how long I've been playing, I don't have to.
    And here we go with a classic example of trying to mislead the "outsider who arrives to the scene" as it is commonly known to those who understand the basics of debating. Basically what it does is turn a claim of subject A into B instead and attempts to make it look like if the one providing the claim is making unbased accusations. What my claim was that rather than making a proper counter-argumentation you resorted into simply trying to antagonize the fellow that made the original claim and skip over his arguments and had nothign to do with how long you have been playing
  1. Delta279's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesingwary-Eliada View Post
    OBVIOUSLY he did play it errosync (hence him expressing his disagreement with it getting slammed), and CLEARLY he liked it. It is not a fact that Ulduar was the best thing that came from Wrath, its an opinion. I could easily give examples of a lot of other things i thought were great about Wrath. Various features like the looking for dungeon tool have been a godsend for me, I loved some of the shorter/quicker dungeons I could do during my busy week of studying, loved that I could find raid groups easily to experience end-game if I couldn't match my guild's raid schedule, loved the smoother questing experience in... oh wait... maybe I shouldn't because that would make me an idiot wouldn't it? People like me are clearly stupid for enjoying what you didn't and if I say more of what I like about Wrath you might inform everybody here that I didn't play it; like I literally bought the box/digital copy, installed it and then never signed on.



    Yep. Tons of people seemed to enjoy it. Sorry that makes you so furious but, unfortunately, the entire playerbase doesn't always agree with your personal beliefs and claims. It totally sucks, I know.

    Love that you then went on to praise the class balance of Cataclysm and more or less call the person you quoted an idiot for not seeing it your way.

    Stay classy.
    There was a lot of things that was good about Wrath but yet there was a lot of bad things about it too. I don't rub up saying BC was the best and WoTLK is total shit compared to it. LK had more lore into it than BC did because Draenei was pretty much a last minute guess for alliance's new race. Many view it that way.
  1. Powell's Avatar
    This will always be the case In Wotlk people cried about how terrible it was and how TBC was better - Nostalgia makes everything look better In Cata people complain about how terrible it is an how Wotlk was better Wotlk had more updates but less quality... Naxx, ToC, 1boss raids. The only thing that was ever any good was Ulduar in Wotlk. I prefer Quality over Quantity content.

Site Navigation