MMO-Champion - Sneak Peek: Guardian Cub Tradable Pet
Sneak Peek: Guardian Cub Tradable Pet
A new pet is coming to a Blizzard Store near you and ... you can trade it and sell it at the auction house!
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
Coming soon to a Pet Store near you: the new and titanically cute Guardian Cub companion. You’ve soared across Azeroth on the majestic Winged Guardian. Soon, you'll be able to purchase a pint-sized Guardian of the Titans sidekick to accompany you on your adventures.


Stunning good looks and adorable, supersized eyes aren’t all this new pet has going for it. The Guardian Cub is also the Pet Store's first tradable pet, meaning it can be swapped between characters in-game or given as a gift to guildmates, friends, family, or that special someone -- no adoption papers necessary. Due to his finicky nature, each Guardian Cub will only give its allegiance to one owner, meaning it’s a one-time-use pet that permanently binds to a single character. Be sure to choose a master wisely.

Look for the Guardian Cub to arrive in the Blizzard Store in the weeks ahead -- in the meantime, we've prepped a mini-FAQ to explain how this flying friend will differ from other Pet Store companions.

Q: How does the Guardian Cub pet work? How is it different from other Pet Store pets?

Unlike the other Pet Store companions, the Guardian Cub is a tradable, one-time-use pet that permanently binds to a single character upon use. When you purchase the Guardian Cub from the online store, the character you designate will receive a bind-on-use item to carry in his or her inventory. You can either use the item yourself to permanently add the pet to your character's collection (consuming the item in the process), or -- after a brief initial cooldown period -- you can trade the item to another player so he or she can add it to one of their character's collections. Note that once the pet has been added to a character's Companions list, it can no longer be traded, so make sure you're giving the cub a happy home.


Q: Will I be able to carry more than one Guardian Cub at a time?

While a character can only have one Guardian Cub in his or her Companions list, you can have as many in your inventory as you like. Please note that Guardian Cub items do not stack, so each one will take up a bag or bank slot.


Q: How much will the Guardian Cub cost in the Pet Store?

The Guardian Cub will be priced the same as the other Pet Store pets ($10 USD). All sales of the Guardian Cub are final -- no refunds will be given once a purchase is made.


Q: Why did you decide to make the Guardian Cub tradable?

Since the introduction of the Pet Store, many players have been asking for ways to get the companions we offer there without having to spend real-world cash. By making the Guardian Cub tradable (much like the BoE mounts from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game), players interested in the new pet will have fun, alternative in-game ways to get one. In addition to trading the pet, players can give the Guardian Cub as a gift to another character for a special occasion; guild leaders can use them to reward members for a job well done; and so on. We also hope this change will help reduce the number of incidents of scamming via trading for invalid pet codes.


Q: Could I put the Guardian Cub up on the auction house to try to make some gold if I wanted to?

While our goal is to offer players alternative ways to add a Pet Store pet to their collection, we’re ok with it if some players choose to use the Guardian Cub as a safe and secure way to try to acquire a little extra in-game gold without turning to third-party gold-selling services. However, please keep in mind that there's never any guarantee that someone will purchase what you put up for sale in the auction house, or how much they'll pay for it. Also, it’s important to note that we take a firm stance against buying gold from outside sources because in most cases, the gold these companies offer has been stolen from compromised accounts. (You can read more about our stance here.) While some players might be able to acquire some extra gold by putting the Guardian Cub in the auction house, that’s preferable to players contributing to the gold-selling “black market” and account theft.


Q: Are you changing the other available Pet Store pets (e.g. Lil' Ragnaros, the Pandaren Monk) to work this way?

No, the other available Pet Store pets will continue to work as they always have.


Q: What about future Pet Store pets?

It's too early to say how we'll handle future Pet Store pets. We made this change in response to feedback from players looking for alternate ways to get the Pet Store pets, and we're always looking into other opportunities for improvement. We're interested in hearing what players think of the Guardian Cub when it launches, and we hope you'll have fun with this new flying friend.
This article was originally published in forum thread: Sneak Peek: Guardian Cub Tradable Pet started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 734 Comments
  1. Executz's Avatar
    Well I personally don't mind this in the sense that it will have no effect whatsoever on why and how I enjoy this game. For all those saying its one step away from selling gear it really isn't, if somehow in the future blizzard goes against years of denying it and offers gear gore gold you will get your classic "I told you so. In the mean time the only thing that it proves is that they have listened to those who wished to have access to these pets without spending real money, that might not be you but then again try to remember the millions and that it really not just about well you.
  1. DoctorDoomkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Attsey View Post
    There are plenty of very good posts on this forum that explain the problem, I suggest you read them.
    And they amount to nothing.

    You are not going to profit off of this. If you honestly believe you will be making gold off of this stupid pet forevor, you're sadly mistaken.

    If this was a system that allows you to buy weapons, hunter/warlock pets, and armor and sell it on the AH, then it would be a valid argument. But again, the people who are most likely to buy are pet collectors. It's very minuscule compared to the audience that is interested in Armor, and Weapons, and mats to make said armor and weapons, something that is actually useful in the game compared to some poptart-less Nyan cat.

    There's hardly a market for them. And is dependable on the person's ability to make $10 compared to whatever the price you think you can make.
  1. Mediansoft's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by durenas View Post
    The value of real money is a built-in deflation insulator(if that makes sense). It will stabilize to the point where nobody will plunk down 10 dollars just to sell for a measly 1k. I would expect it to vary between 10k-20k-ish. Nobody's obliged to sell for less than they think it's worth. If the price is too low, people will just hang onto it until the price rises again.
    10k seems the "honest" price. You get about 10k of gold for 10Euro. (prices by igxe). If anyone even thinks to sell this for prices like 20k and up ... well people would have to be real silly to get it for that much (as in, they could just spend the 10 buck then and come off cheaper)
  1. Buu's Avatar
    I think is a lame movement of Blizzard, so I will not buy it. But I don't care about those that will buy. Every person is entitled to their opinions, and have to deal with their own decisions. So why bother with others?
  1. Laughriot's Avatar
    Glad to see Blizzard has finally started outright selling gold from their website.
  1. Kaneiac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
    Oh, you mean the game that originally came bundled with the Orange Box; an outstanding value. The game that has been updated with new maps and game modes for years, free of cost? The game that went free to play because of said microtransactions and hats? That one?

    Thanks for proving my point.
    TF2 had those microtransactions while it was pay to play; and it sells weapons that include an in-game benefit. WoW isn't at that point yet, so as far as I'm concerned, comparing Blizzard to Valve is completely insane. Two different business models. Who's to say WoW won't head down that road and become free to play? Oh, but then you'd have something else to bitch about.
  1. Prag's Avatar
    Wow... I didn't even THINK of the change between Bind-On-Account and Bind-On-Use....

    So they essentially raised this price of this item for the people who buy their pets for the sole reason of owning pets... because now they have to buy it multiple times.

    That's a real kick in the nuts.
  1. Yoyodyne's Avatar
    Example ----> On day one there will be say 200,000 sold on US servers. That is 200 per AH if you assume half sell and half keep them (250 servers x 2 sides). Blizzard makes $2 million. With 200 in the AH they will start at prices such as 10,000g but as more people list you will see prices go well below 5000g. Maybe even 2-3k or less. On day one. And the people who don't want to pay real money will wait till day two or three when the pet has reached 500 listed in the AH and prices are going into the 1-2k area and people are upset that paid the $10 to get gold and find that they wasted their money. As time passes into the next week this will be over since everyone will have the pet either paying $10 for it or just buying it for gold off people that had to list it for 1,000g to at least get something for it. The experiment will end and no one will ever buy tradable items from blizzard again to make gold.

    This is GUARANTEED to happen. I know what I am talking about. So everyone just sit back and watch it fade into background. It will make blizzard some extra money which is always fine to me as long as the items are vanity. Tradable (yes that is how you spell it) or not.
  1. Khadhar's Avatar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ja-wTVFvYw Relevant.
  1. Lumocolor's Avatar
    Getting so close to re-activating my sub, all that is missing now is WoW going F2P and a real money auction house and i'm back.
  1. Kaeleena's Avatar
    We're against gold selling... except when we're the ones selling you the gold!

    Seriously though, if you don't think this pet on the AH is going to stabilize around the value of gold after the first week, you don't understand how markets work. On low pop servers/factions, this pet will likely be higher than the value of gold.
  1. Syio's Avatar
    People have been selling the pets by exploiting the 'gift' system anyway. As if this makes a difference to the end user. Stop being hypocrites; Blizzard is a business and I would rather see them earning than losing for the sake of some people's misguided 'morals'. Least I can buy pets now without fear of it being a bannable offense.

    Edit:
    That said... the face really does look wonky. I will weigh if it's worth the real cash or virtual cash because HEY! WE'VE GOT OPTIONS NOW! WOO!
  1. Vallcorr's Avatar
    Alright, blizzard isn't selling gold. They're selling pets. The same amount of gold will still be in the market. The gold comes from the players, not computer generated by blizzard. That said i think this is just another pathetic ploy by blizzard to milk as much money as they can from their subscribers before alot of people quit.
  1. Freese's Avatar
    Don't people already sell pet store stuff anyways? I don't see what the big deal is.
  1. Sensa's Avatar
    Blizzard just should have made this pet a Sheep with cute puppy dog eyes because the ONLY reason they are offering this pet is that ALL you SHEEP have proven, over and over again, that you're stupid and vain enough, to allow Blizzard to make millions of dollars off you (with very little effort or cost) because you will buy virtually any piece of virtual junk they sell.

    You SHEEP have no one to BLAME but YOURSELVES !!!!!

    Stop buying these crappy, useless pets and the problem will go away.
  1. JRSpaniel's Avatar
    Eh... I'm a pet collector, but 10 bucks for essentially a regular pet? Nah.
  1. Fudge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyodyne View Post
    Example ----> On day one there will be say 200,000 sold on US servers. That is 200 per AH if you assume half sell and half keep them (250 servers x 2 sides). Blizzard makes $2 million. With 200 in the AH they will start at prices such as 10,000g but as more people list you will see prices go well below 5000g. Maybe even 2-3k or less. On day one. And the people who don't want to pay real money will wait till day two or three when the pet has reached 500 listed in the AH and prices are going into the 1-2k area and people are upset that paid the $10 to get gold and find that they wasted their money. As time passes into the next week this will be over since everyone will have the pet either paying $10 for it or just buying it for gold off people that had to list it for 1,000g to at least get something for it. The experiment will end and no one will ever buy tradable items from blizzard again to make gold.

    This is GUARANTEED to happen. I know what I am talking about. So everyone just sit back and watch it fade into background. It will make blizzard some extra money which is always fine to me as long as the items are vanity. Tradable (yes that is how you spell it) or not.
    Nope, I'm glad you 'know what you're talking about', but you're wrong. The people buying this to basically buy gold are not going to completely drop the floor on the price. The LOWEST average you will see this for is 8500, or about 1.17/k..
  1. Kayko's Avatar
    Q: Could I put the Guardian Cub up on the auction house to try to make some gold if I wanted to?While our goal is to offer players alternative ways to add a Pet Store pet to their collection
    Sell pet on Blizzard online store and a vendor in game. Goal Achieved and arguments null.
  1. k1037's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude Hero View Post
    Every time something like this happens, people complain and the response is "this isn't a big deal and the slippery slope is a fallacy." Then, later... the next time we actually do progress farther down the slippery slope, it's "this was already in the game, look back at that stuff, and nobody complained back then."
    Some of the fanboy responses to this are as bad as the D3 real-money AH responses were. The D3 RMAH allows gold-buying, thereby directly and unavoidably controlling all (including regular/gold) AH transactions. But the #1 fanboy response was/is, "You don't have to use it if you don't want to!" Durr, it doesn't matter if you use it - you'll still see the effects. That's the whole point of the outrage.

    I think this decision shows that the Q3 sub losses are going to be pretty terrible, and they want to have alternative revenue streams up and running by the end of the month so that they have something positive to show their investors. Since they can't start up their "buy a super duper awesome look" Transmogrify store (the ONLY reason they finally decided to add that feature) until December.
  1. Lihonessa's Avatar
    Yet another step closer to Blizzard selling Gold through the Blizzard store.

    It's coming. You know it is.

Site Navigation