MMO-Champion - Sneak Peek: Guardian Cub Tradable Pet
Sneak Peek: Guardian Cub Tradable Pet
A new pet is coming to a Blizzard Store near you and ... you can trade it and sell it at the auction house!
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
Coming soon to a Pet Store near you: the new and titanically cute Guardian Cub companion. You’ve soared across Azeroth on the majestic Winged Guardian. Soon, you'll be able to purchase a pint-sized Guardian of the Titans sidekick to accompany you on your adventures.


Stunning good looks and adorable, supersized eyes aren’t all this new pet has going for it. The Guardian Cub is also the Pet Store's first tradable pet, meaning it can be swapped between characters in-game or given as a gift to guildmates, friends, family, or that special someone -- no adoption papers necessary. Due to his finicky nature, each Guardian Cub will only give its allegiance to one owner, meaning it’s a one-time-use pet that permanently binds to a single character. Be sure to choose a master wisely.

Look for the Guardian Cub to arrive in the Blizzard Store in the weeks ahead -- in the meantime, we've prepped a mini-FAQ to explain how this flying friend will differ from other Pet Store companions.

Q: How does the Guardian Cub pet work? How is it different from other Pet Store pets?

Unlike the other Pet Store companions, the Guardian Cub is a tradable, one-time-use pet that permanently binds to a single character upon use. When you purchase the Guardian Cub from the online store, the character you designate will receive a bind-on-use item to carry in his or her inventory. You can either use the item yourself to permanently add the pet to your character's collection (consuming the item in the process), or -- after a brief initial cooldown period -- you can trade the item to another player so he or she can add it to one of their character's collections. Note that once the pet has been added to a character's Companions list, it can no longer be traded, so make sure you're giving the cub a happy home.


Q: Will I be able to carry more than one Guardian Cub at a time?

While a character can only have one Guardian Cub in his or her Companions list, you can have as many in your inventory as you like. Please note that Guardian Cub items do not stack, so each one will take up a bag or bank slot.


Q: How much will the Guardian Cub cost in the Pet Store?

The Guardian Cub will be priced the same as the other Pet Store pets ($10 USD). All sales of the Guardian Cub are final -- no refunds will be given once a purchase is made.


Q: Why did you decide to make the Guardian Cub tradable?

Since the introduction of the Pet Store, many players have been asking for ways to get the companions we offer there without having to spend real-world cash. By making the Guardian Cub tradable (much like the BoE mounts from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game), players interested in the new pet will have fun, alternative in-game ways to get one. In addition to trading the pet, players can give the Guardian Cub as a gift to another character for a special occasion; guild leaders can use them to reward members for a job well done; and so on. We also hope this change will help reduce the number of incidents of scamming via trading for invalid pet codes.


Q: Could I put the Guardian Cub up on the auction house to try to make some gold if I wanted to?

While our goal is to offer players alternative ways to add a Pet Store pet to their collection, we’re ok with it if some players choose to use the Guardian Cub as a safe and secure way to try to acquire a little extra in-game gold without turning to third-party gold-selling services. However, please keep in mind that there's never any guarantee that someone will purchase what you put up for sale in the auction house, or how much they'll pay for it. Also, it’s important to note that we take a firm stance against buying gold from outside sources because in most cases, the gold these companies offer has been stolen from compromised accounts. (You can read more about our stance here.) While some players might be able to acquire some extra gold by putting the Guardian Cub in the auction house, that’s preferable to players contributing to the gold-selling “black market” and account theft.


Q: Are you changing the other available Pet Store pets (e.g. Lil' Ragnaros, the Pandaren Monk) to work this way?

No, the other available Pet Store pets will continue to work as they always have.


Q: What about future Pet Store pets?

It's too early to say how we'll handle future Pet Store pets. We made this change in response to feedback from players looking for alternate ways to get the Pet Store pets, and we're always looking into other opportunities for improvement. We're interested in hearing what players think of the Guardian Cub when it launches, and we hope you'll have fun with this new flying friend.
This article was originally published in forum thread: Sneak Peek: Guardian Cub Tradable Pet started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 734 Comments
  1. lios's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudge View Post
    Nope, I'm glad you 'know what you're talking about', but you're wrong. The people buying this to basically buy gold are not going to completely drop the floor on the price. The LOWEST average you will see this for is 8500, or about 1.17/k..
    Your assumption has two flaws. One, you assume all sellers will know the gold price and you assume they act rationally. Both are not true. I've sold mounts for 2-3 times the gold value, i've seen people undercut eachother until everyone makes a loss. Those people who have no idea how the AH works will freak out when they see many pets being sold and undercut until they sell, simply because they are afraid they won't sell at all. Prices will definitely drop to 4k, same price as the tournament pets.
  1. Jiggles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    TF2 had those microtransactions while it was pay to play; and it sells weapons that include an in-game benefit. WoW isn't at that point yet, so as far as I'm concerned, comparing Blizzard to Valve is completely insane. Two different business models. Who's to say WoW won't head down that road and become free to play? Oh, but then you'd have something else to bitch about.
    You're glossing over a lot there, bud.

    First, the default weapons are just as good as the unlockable ones. Most of the unlockable weapons are for fun, and they're often the weaker choice. I wouldn't care at all if Blizzard wanted to sell gear, if you automatically got a default gear set that was just as good as the store options. Second, while TF2 did have microtransactions added later in its life, it never had a monthly fee, nor DLC fees (Call of Duty, anyone?) for its updates. Of course, now it's completely free to play. Valve didn't have to do that, but it did.

    Finally, why would Blizzard make WoW free to play? They've got defenders like you who are perfectly happy paying a monthly fee and full price for expansions, on top of all that revenue from "premium" items and services that are usually hallmarks of a F2P game. Without, you know, that pesky "free" part.

    In any event, it's irrelevant whether WoW goes F2P in the future: we're talking about Blizzard's greed now, not some distant point in the future.
  1. Alleji's Avatar
    How about a way to SELL my gold for real money?
  1. Spotnick's Avatar
    LOL, Blizzard finally found an original way to sell gold.
  1. Oliveros's Avatar
    try to acquire a little extra in-game gold without turning to third-party gold-selling services WoW, Now able to buy legit gold, awesome...... Yeah those d3 micro trans sure never lead to this. cough cough
  1. Xingu's Avatar
    hello Glitch! I'd rather milk butterflies and nibble on pigs than to deal with this crappy 'game', in the end it WoW will really be all about money, gameplay will not be important. Oh wait, it already is like that ...
  1. ashamel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    So they essentially raised this price of this item for the people who buy their pets for the sole reason of owning pets... because now they have to buy it multiple times.
    I buy pets, and I reckon I'll be able to buy this pretty cheap on the AH soon after it appears.
  1. Oliveros's Avatar
    I honestly see wow adopting a PLEX item similar to eves in which people can buy game time and sell it for in game money
  1. ssviolett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deviancee View Post
    2011/10/10Blizzard announces official gold selling
    OMG how you guys can not understand - it is NOT gold selling. Gold selling = creating amounts of gold from nowhere, this wont ruin economy at all - imagine that you got this pet in loot and sold it. This is simple way to get some gold for people who prefer to spent 10$ instead of 10hours farming.
  1. Pruciuxtia's Avatar
    NOW I REALLY CANCEL MY SUB< RELY IM GONNA DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!11111.

  1. Marcis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ssviolett View Post
    OMG how you guys can not understand - it is NOT gold selling. Gold selling = creating amounts of gold from nowhere, this wont ruin economy at all - imagine that you got this pet in loot and sold it. This is simple way to get some gold for people who prefer to spent 10$ instead of 10hours farming.
    How can you create a gold out from nowhere? Can you please enlighten me because i would love to do so
    To sell gold you have to get it from somewhere - farm, sell loot etc etc. You can't just magically hack wow and create 100k gold in your account out of thin air. This pet is precisely what it is - legalized gold selling.
    Plus (to be honest) more nicer way to gift pets to your wow friends on their birthdays and other ocassions.
    A lot nicer way imo than sending your friend string of code via email.
  1. Exuja's Avatar
    I don't like its looks, at all.. nor the fact that it is trade-able.But that's me.Not about to start talking on how Bli$$ard should run their shit.
  1. Keosen's Avatar
    Well i think that sooner or later will take it back, feels more like an experiment and the community's response should be massive and negative to block any similar future movement from Blizzard's side.

    It's essentially a way to sell gold, you just let the players decide the gold/$€ instead of setting one by yourself.
    Lame in my opinion, this kind of moves would bring no benefit.
  1. vsb's Avatar
    What's wrong with buying gold? It's already everywhere and easy, just use one of hundreds gold sellers. All Blizzard does is turn this cash to them, not allowing third parties get profit from their game. I better pay money to Blizzard than to some unknown criminals. And, again, gold selling is already available and there's no risk being banned for buying gold. Nothing new for game, just legalizing dark market and potentially killing gold sellers. Both are great things.
  1. Nian's Avatar
    I quite like this idea. I'm pretty poor with gold ingame just because I cba to farm stuff or camp AH. I'll buy one of these for myself for sure, but probable one for AH aswell
  1. Fool's Avatar
    hahahaha YES
  1. DemoBytom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deviancee View Post
    2011/10/10Blizzard announces official gold selling
    Nope.. You could "buy gold" like that since they made TCG items tradeable.. Don't see anyone crying over that >.<
    It's actually better than TCG items - there players can sell other players codes for real money - actually making money on the wow items. Here you can earn some gold..
    For me - just another thing in store, nothing really new, we can move along.
  1. Holo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Selkhet View Post
    I don't think that many people are willing to spend gold on a vanity pet.
    You would be surprised, i know people that collect them and are willing to pay tenths of thousands of gold for a pet.
  1. peterpan007's Avatar
    My guess that since this pet is not rare (unlimited supply) and not BoA after the initially week they will sell quiet low - epecting 200 - 500gp. Hence people wanting to purchase 20k or 100k gold will still use gold farming sites
  1. Linu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcis View Post
    How can you create a gold out from nowhere? Can you please enlighten me because i would love to do so
    To sell gold you have to get it from somewhere - farm, sell loot etc etc. You can't just magically hack wow and create 100k gold in your account out of thin air. This pet is precisely what it is - legalized gold selling.
    If Blizzard would sell gold, THEY would create gold out of nowhere. Then imagine some jerk buying 1.000.000 gold, or image 100 of them. The gold earned ingame would be worth next to nothing and prices would skyrocket. Now you have a totally ruined economy.

    The same cannot be applied to selling pets. Because if the same jerks buy 1.000 of these they won't be able to sell them all, because the market will at some point be satisfied. So no more gold for pet sellers and no ruined economy, because the overall available amount of gold is still generated by ingame means which are throttled.

Site Navigation