MMO-Champion - Madness of Deathwing Video Preview, Blizzcon 2011 Goodies Bag, Fangs of the Father
Dragon Soul PTR Testing - Madness of Deathwing
Exordium and Pillow Fort managed to unlock the Madness of Deathwing encounter on test realms and actually went through most of it! Obviously it's pretty spoilery and you shouldn't watch it if you don't want to (almost) see how the last fight of the expansion ends.

Keep in mind that this fight was not supposed to be tested and is still incredibly bugged and possibly very undertuned.


Description from Youtube (Spoilers)
Blizzard decided not to open this fight to testing because the jumping from platform to platform was extremely buggy, as you'll see at the end of the video. Basically what you have to do is kill the appendage that's on each platform after killing a big tentacle. Each aspect has their own platform, and when you destroy the appendage on that aspect's platform, you lose the buff they give you. This makes the fight harder as you destroy each platform.

Due to the bugs with jumping, we were forced to destroy the best platforms first, which made the fight harder (though it's still incredibly undertuned). Once we finally cleared all 4 platforms, deathwing slams his head on the middle platform with only 10 mil health, you get all the buffs back, and I assume it's just supposed to be like the last 10% of the Lich King, as it would have been a ridiculously easy burn if we could get over there.



Blizzcon 2011 Goody Bag
s1fizik on Squidoo seems to have gotten his hands on a Blizzcon Goody bag a little bit early, check the full post for pictures of all of the items. It contains the regular promo items and ads, as well as:


  • Diablo 3 Tyrael Collector's Statue
  • Limited Edition Diablo 3 Battle.net Authenticator
  • Loot Card
  • Promo Deck for World of Warcraft Card Game
  • Diablo 3 bookmark with Brady Games Quest






Patch 4.3: Fangs of the Father
Killars from vodka spent some of his free time on test realms going through the legendary quest and came back with a few fun pictures! The stats for the first epic version of the daggers are now known, and it also seems that you will need to spend 10,000 gold at some point during the questline.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Madness of Deathwing Video Preview, Blizzcon 2011 Goodies Bag, Fangs of the Father started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 178 Comments
  1. Vein's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jitters View Post
    I make gold by accident. Usually about 1k-1.5k a day. 10k is nothing. Get over it.
    Can I have 10k gold, please?
  1. Mort459's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by k1037 View Post
    Cue dozens of people who can look at an epic GW2 boss battle with ridiculously unique + smooth visuals/mechanics and say, "Meh," yet see this series of utterly uninspired "kill the adds" DW fights and honestly say, "OMG SO EPIC!!!"
    Uhhhh, seriously?

    You're fighting the aspect of death. After ripping his body apart, he crashes into a giant swirling portal of water and arcane energy. Literally falling apart from the inside, he emerges and lashes out at you with molten tentacles that have spawned from his madness and corruption. Meanwhile, 4 dragon-gods fly around and help you. That' sounds pretty epic to me

    GW2: Oh, look, a dragon flew out of the ocean. Kill adds. Oh cool I can shoot it with a cannon too.

    Based on pure asthetics, obviously the GW2 fights are better, but there's something to be said about the lore building in WoW, and the reason it has such a built in leg up on new MMOs. People have opinions, yours aren't always right. GTF over it.
  1. tobokke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Niteynite View Post
    Lich King was not released on the PTR, and I think we all know what happened with Ensidia's "World First" kill. I agree there should be some element of surprise, but I would rather be spoiled than have a bugged encounter.
    Then blizzard is incompetent in designing and testing their own created content... Figures.
  1. Sakashima's Avatar
    I love the amount of complaints about 10k gold. 10k gold is nothing. I've been making a few thousand a week just clearing old content raids on my characters for transmog gear, selling greens and unwanted drops, gems from BT and Sunwell and so on. In other words, I'm not even really trying to make gold, hell I don't have to try. Blizzard practically throws gold at you at every turn in the game now so 10k is a pittance. Also, 8-9k for Sands of Time for legendary staff, 25 Primordial Saronites that most people were too impatient to wait to drop or buy with emblems because gold was pretty easy to obtain during WotlK too, and as others have mentioned mats for Thunderfury and Sulfuras.
  1. k1037's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort459 View Post
    Uhhhh, seriously?

    You're fighting the aspect of death. After ripping his body apart, he crashes into a giant swirling portal of water and arcane energy. Literally falling apart from the inside, he emerges and lashes out at you with molten tentacles that have spawned from his madness and corruption. Meanwhile, 4 dragon-gods fly around and help you. That' sounds pretty epic to me

    GW2: Oh, look, a dragon flew out of the ocean. Kill adds. Oh cool I can shoot it with a cannon too.

    Based on pure asthetics, obviously the GW2 fights are better, but there's something to be said about the lore building in WoW, and the reason it has such a built in leg up on new MMOs. People have opinions, yours aren't always right. GTF over it.
    Deathwing appears in the cinematic, burns random players in leveling zones for a few months, then players fight adds in two locations and he's gone. How is THAT lore-building?

    The delivery is also terrible. Those dragon-gods don't participate directly, just sit back out of view and provide buffs. And the Deathwing fights are players versus random adds from one rocky location (with flapping wings as a backdrop) to another location (with the Mael as a background) - you may as well just be fighting annoying trash packs in a random dungeon, because you're certainly not fighting Deathwing.

    That was my whole point. They COULD have done something interesting and finally built up some kind of lore or meaningful fight, but instead it's "kill adds and DW goes boom."
  1. Mort459's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by k1037 View Post
    Deathwing appears in the cinematic, burns random players in leveling zones for a few months, then players fight adds in two locations and he's gone. How is THAT lore-building?
    I'm actually not foaming at the mouth to try this... Spine looks pretty cool, but this is a little meh if this is exactly how its going to appear live (which hopefully it isn't).

    For one, seeing gadgetzan burnt to the f'ing ground the first time WAS pretty cool.

    Secondly, DW originally appeared in the Warcraft RTS games, and the novels (which I haven't really read many of actually). Also, he shows up a number of times in the 1-60 new leveling experience, and the 80-85 leveling experience. He's the father of onyxia and nefarian, who have been having setbacks for years. And he was the corrupted by the old gods, who are some of the most mysterious creatures, and (in my opinion) coolest fights/villains in WoW.

    So i think it's wrong to say there is no lore.

    I'm much more interested in Helping Alexstrasza the dragon queen and Thrall the shaman slay the former dragon aspect Deathwing, than helping Alkoron the wyrm lord and Morg the mystic stay the dragon Doomclaw.

    It that biased? well yeah obviously. But warcraft has always felt more fun due to the familiarity. Which is why I do intend to try ToR, actually. Meh, I'm sure I'll try GW2 also.
  1. Glad's Avatar
    I don't see why people are complaining about the 10k price tag being "lazy"? It's a rogue legendary. It seems more rogue-like to me to have to pay cash than to farm mats, or buy vendor items. Shady, under the table dealing and all that.
  1. goulet goulet's Avatar
    ahahaha the music at the end of that video, classic.
  1. mazinga's Avatar
    Reminds me of Akylios encounter in Rift (the actual uber boss at current patch)
    Platform and tentacles starts at 2:45
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=662OoYUvgwE
  1. Arcrin's Avatar
    haha funny to read how stupid ppl are here :P TIP: use your brain and think that shown right there isnt all. Its not 10k = legendary open your eyes.TIP: DW is undertuned as fuck and you didnt see the last phase and there were spawning adds over there.
  1. k1037's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort459 View Post
    ... It that biased? well yeah obviously. But warcraft has always felt more fun due to the familiarity. Which is why I do intend to try ToR, actually. Meh, I'm sure I'll try GW2 also.
    I actually won't be trying out either one. I just find it difficult to believe that people can look at some incredible examples of mechanics/gameplay from other games and convince themselves that it's terrible, while at the same time blatantly underwhelming previews of fights in WoW result in nerdgasms.

    I understand how lore can add to fun, but though Deathwing had mentions in books and games which - while I enjoyed - are more than a decade old, he hasn't really been fleshed out in *World of Warcraft* much at all. Arthas was already well-known, yet WoW added incredible depth to this character via dozens of Icecrown quests, ICC heroics, and the fights within ICC itself.

    Deathwing was obscure, yet he hasn't been given any attention whatsoever. His entire storyline:

    "Deathwing was sitting around one day when an old god made him go crazy somehow. Crazy dragon been acting crazy, yo - just burning random things. Why those random things? HE CRAZY, dat's why! A bunch of players best go jump on his back and slap his tentacles til he dies." The end. That's it. Blah.
  1. rockdontroll's Avatar
    so the final fight is with deathwing's arms and wings on platforms of rock? I can see the madness indeed.... at least we physically killed lich king last expansion...

    here's for hoping this is all a big joke at blizzard and actually there is another final fight against deathwing
  1. Sidone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by k1037 View Post
    I actually won't be trying out either one.
    Did you unsub yet?
    I think the fight will be epic. And now ur local newbs can see it too via LFR.

    People always qq and moan and say they will stop but yet 1 out of 100 actually does that.

    10k gold? What's that nowadays? People qq about stupid stuff. I should stop reading comments. It's really depressing.
  1. Stansfield's Avatar
    Love all this QQ about a legendary costing 10k gold. Alot of people bought the current FL thrashloot for over 20k, and you are whining about 10k for a LEGENDARY.
  1. Nathiest's Avatar
    The mini-Tyrael would make a great usb flash stick.
  1. tofino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stansfield View Post
    Love all this QQ about a legendary costing 10k gold. Alot of people bought the current FL thrashloot for over 20k, and you are whining about 10k for a LEGENDARY.
    Ideally, it would cost 500k gold, and the only quest would be to catch the tears of the 99% with my shiny legendaries.
  1. Malleus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by k1037 View Post
    Deathwing was obscure, yet he hasn't been given any attention whatsoever. His entire storyline:

    "Deathwing was sitting around one day when an old god made him go crazy somehow. Crazy dragon been acting crazy, yo - just burning random things. Why those random things? HE CRAZY, dat's why! A bunch of players best go jump on his back and slap his tentacles til he dies." The end. That's it. Blah.
    There's more to Deathwing's story in just the Cataclysm introductory cinematic than your oh-so-not-funny comment makes out is in the whole game. Come back when you know something about the lore, hey?
  1. Dazzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    There's more to Deathwing's story in just the Cataclysm introductory cinematic than your oh-so-not-funny comment makes out is in the whole game. Come back when you know something about the lore, hey?
    No, he pretty much nailed it, IN-GAME lore, that's pretty much it, "Hi I'm deathwing, I burned your zones".

Site Navigation