MMO-Champion - Raid Finder Loot Exploit Suspensions, Paragon Apology
Raid Finder Loot Exploit Suspensions
Blizzard finally commented on the Raid Finder Loot exploit resultingin multiple accounts suspensions in a lot of guilds.
Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
Shortly after patch 4.3 was released, we became aware that some players were abusing an exploit to obtain loot from the same Raid Finder bosses multiple times in a single raid lockout period (one week). The Raid Finder loot mechanic is of course intended to only allow a person to roll on boss loot drops once per raid lockout period. The raid lockout mechanic has been a mainstay of the World of Warcraft rules since Onyxia and Molten Core, ensuring that no one can obtain loot from a boss more than once per lockout. Due to the nature of the exploit and the clear intent of those who abused it, they've been issued notices and given temporary suspensions from the game. We’re also working to remove all Raid Finder items from those who used the exploit.

It's also worth noting that Paragon posted an apology on their website

An LFR Apology
There has been a lot of misinformation going around, so to clear things up, here is a truthful account of what exactly happened with the LFR and what we have to say about it:

The patch hit EU servers on Wednesday. We started off with our 5x Firelands runs to wrap up legendaries and called it a night. For Thursday, we had an elaborate plan to run a personal LFR raid for every main character to get the maximum amount of loot.

As we were doing the first few runs, we noticed an unrealistic amount of tier pieces on some guilds' armory profiles, which we thought was unattainable through normal means. We started looking into it, and found out that you can loot passed gear from bosses, regardless of save status, if you zone out and back into the instance. This did not provide the raid with any extra loot, but it did eliminate a major portion of the RNG that would have been involved in simply doing personal runs for everyone.

We acknowledge that using this unintended behavior, which was quite clearly a bug, to our gain, was wrong. The fact that others were using it as well is no justification for doing it ourselves. We apologize for doing it, and accept whatever consequences follow.
This article was originally published in forum thread: Raid Finder Loot Exploit Suspensions, Paragon Apology started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 488 Comments
  1. Goliad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meckina View Post
    Yup. Shame on them. They are probably the 1st guild Blizz looks on for advice when a patch hits.

    8 days aint enough.

    Paragon=cheats
    Does their cheating affect you? Why can't people play this game for their own amusement? Who cares how many guilds exploited, they will get their punishment and it will affect you exactly 0%. All these people saying glad they got suspended or glad they got their comeuppance are just being silly. 99% of the people who play wow do not care, will not care, heck most do not even know who paragon is, nor do they care. It's a game, have fun playing your game. If your game is made better by other people's misery, then you need a new game.
  1. P4R45171K's Avatar
    So they say they did it cuz everyone else was doin it? When I'm sure they were one of the first to do it.
  1. Thallidomaniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliad View Post
    Does their cheating affect you? Why can't people play this game for their own amusement? Who cares how many guilds exploited, they will get their punishment and it will affect you exactly 0%. All these people saying glad they got suspended or glad they got their comeuppance are just being silly. 99% of the people who play wow do not care, will not care, heck most do not even know who paragon is, nor do they care. It's a game, have fun playing your game. If your game is made better by other people's misery, then you need a new game.
    It does when you miss out a legitimate World First by milliseconds to a guild that resorted to such exploits.
  1. Howlrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KDSwain View Post
    All over Finland tonight Paragon fanboys are handing over their accounts to Paragon members for the week. Check the membership of Paragon this week and see how many people are added to the guild.
    If they do that, then both sets of accounts should be permanently banned.

    That is not only against TOS set out by Blizzard (you, and only you is allowed to use your account), but ALSO trying to circumnavigate a ban imposed by Blizzard.
    If they do that, then it shows they haven't learnt shit, and should be permanently banned.
  1. Warichane's Avatar
    Not surprising at all. Almost every time (if not every time?) there's a major exploit when new content launches, Paragon exploits it, and then apologizes afterwards. Talk about learning from your mistakes? I think not.
  1. Garbaldi's Avatar
    I am disapointed in myself that i found out about this so late, i totally would have used this to gear my toons quicker dumb blizz needs better testers.
  1. isaylaa's Avatar
    Paragon, very disappointed in you. *shakes head*
  1. Glarious's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pzijderv View Post
    we accept the concequences... as if they had any choice in the matter

    why does an apology from paragon deserve to be a main topic on mmo champion? what do we care, they messed up and they kept doing it ok we got it. but does this "apology" really deserve to be on the main page of mmo-champion?? i mean seriously theres other threads for this, why not post it in each of them instead of posting it on the front page.. this isnt news about any game, just the players behind it... Why isnt my rogue ever on the main page huh?
  1. greyghost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dela2k10 View Post
    This pretty much sums it all up:
    And it would be a well-earned world first. IMO, I think Blizzard should -- if they can -- go look at all the other progression kills that these guilds have been doing and check over the exploits....

    Oh that's right. They have. This is just the first time Blizzard actually banned these guilds for it (Magmaw bug, Freya trash buff, AQ40 hijinks, ect.)

    I think that after all this time, a lot of those top guilds have enough members that have ranked up enough "whoops was that a bug ho ho" moments that they should be sporting permabans.

    Cheat-loving failures can sit there and laugh at Blood Leigon / Vodka getting world firsts, but the vast majority of us will cheer them on, because they got to where they are legitimately, by playing the game with skill and not scrounging for exploits like bads.
  1. manniefaces's Avatar
    Maybe people will stop worshiping these so called top guilds. You're good at a video game that's nice but hardly worthy of serious praise. I think the bans should have been harsher but that's just my opinion.
  1. Howlrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    It does when you miss out a legitimate World First by milliseconds to a guild that resorted to such exploits.
    I agree, there is money to be mad,e fame to be had, and a lot of publicity surrounding World Firsts within the WoW game. So yes, it *does* have an impact on the playerbase.

    I for one, don't particularly want the *best* players in the game/hobby I have being nothing more than cheats. Its the equivalent of having a football team you have followed for years then find out they all take steroids and other short-cuts to success. It makes the victories hollow indeed.
  1. Papapwn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel095 View Post
    So many dumb people here bashing Paragon, and paragon only. When in fact pretty much every top 10 guild DID THE SAME.
    You're wrong. Ensidia Envy Paragon and Method were the only ones from the top 10 who did. Its not even close to "every"

    And the reason people bash paragon is cause they were #1. You dont expect this kind of excuses from them.

    Needless to say they deserved it and atleast they apologized and admitted they were wrong even though we know its to save face.
  1. meroko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox1232 View Post
    fix it before it goes live and it won't be a problem. You can't tell me NOBODY thought of this before it went live. They shouldn't have to apologize the game let them do it therefore its in the game.
    You really don't understand the definition of Exploit do you? It's a multi-million dollar game, there are bound to be bugs and exploits to find. By taking advantage of it, they violate the ToS, simple as that.

    You find an exploit, you report it. Or face the consequences as many top guilds have.
  1. brff15's Avatar
    One must wonder if they did this exploit on their real main character's account. I think it's safe to assume that they know the consequences of cheating, and they also know that when new content comes out that Blizzard keeps an eye on the top guilds, invisibly. Therefore, it's logical to conclude that they did not do this on their main character's account. Furthermore, given the amount of money and time that they invest in this game, one can safely conclude that they have more than one account. If Blizzard were to ban them it would not make a difference because they have characters in the same gear as their mains on different accounts, so they would just log on those accounts and raid.
  1. Sarac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    It does when you miss out a legitimate World First by milliseconds to a guild that resorted to such exploits.
    Learn to read, he said Blizz would take care of it and other players should just stay out of it. It is good they got punished, but it doesn't make me happy or sad...what does it mean to me what some other guild on a different realm is doing.
  1. scelero's Avatar
    So they knew it was wrong and they still did it anyways.
  1. meckina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P4R45171K View Post
    Does their cheating affect you? Why can't people play this game for their own amusement? Who cares how many guilds exploited, they will get their punishment and it will affect you exactly 0%. All these people saying glad they got suspended or glad they got their comeuppance are just being silly. 99% of the people who play wow do not care, will not care, heck most do not even know who paragon is, nor do they care. It's a game, have fun playing your game. If your game is made better by other people's misery, then you need a new game.
    Then you sir must be the 1%. No of course it doesn't affect me with what they did. The fact is they, as the number 1 guild should have reported it. They didn't. They chose to keep going to get the world first. That, Mr. 1%, is why I'm posting here.
  1. Bahska's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dazmar View Post
    What about Ensidia, Method, Envy, and who knows what other guilds?

    I don't get why people single out Paragon. At least they owned up to it.
    Exactly but they are world first haters gonna hate

    From Method: http://www.methodwow.com/board/conte...R-exploit-bans Paragon weren't the only ones, according to this some got perma bans as well.
  1. rdj's Avatar
    This post from Hermanni on the Paragon forums pretty much sums up why an apology was useless and why Paragon are no better than the rest:
    I logged in 30 minutes ago to unequip some items from my character for general amusement. Great success.
  1. finbarr's Avatar
    What a half-assed apology. We don't think we cheated, just eliminated RNG. But we are... sorry? For future apologies don't list what you think are justifications and say you don't think it justifies your behavior. It is clear you think that you were justified and are only apologizing because you got caught.

Site Navigation