MMO-Champion - WoW Stable at 10.2 Million Subscribers
WoW Stable at 10.2 Million Subscribers
Activision Blizzard's press release states that World of Warcraft is still at 10.2 million subscribers as of 3/31/12. This is the same amount of subscribers from Q4 2011. A few other interesting points:

  • Battle.Net has 10 million users.
  • 1.2 million people bought the Annual Pass.
  • 2 million people played the Diablo 3 open beta.
  • Pre-orders for Diablo 3 have set a new record for Blizzard. This number includes units pre-ordered as part of the Annual Pass promotion, as well as retail and digital pre-orders.
  • Blizzard renewed their license with NetEase for the distribution of World of Warcraft in mainland China, and it will continue for an additional three years following the expiration of the current license agreement.

This article was originally published in forum thread: WoW Stable at 10.2 Million Subscribers started by chaud View original post
Comments 839 Comments
  1. Kaneiac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomemonster View Post
    I would like to see a comparison of WoW at how many months SWTOR has been out. That would be a real representation, but then you could argue that MMO's were not as popular then, or that they were just taking off. SWTOR also has to deal with the people that are already content with WoW and when they tried SWTOR, it just didn't give them that "wow" feeling again, no pun intended. Tough to be amazed by an MMO these days after playing one of them for the first time.
    WoW was at something like 1.5 million after 5 months and still rapidly growing. It hit about 2.5 million in June, where it launched in China, and then it hit 5 million by December.

    http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/11/..._of_warcra.php
  1. MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    Watching Haters Writhe in Agony, it is a very good day.
    I suppose that, given everything, you deserve to be first in after the main post.

    Best to you good sir. Enjoy the day.
  1. Tietoso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I'm not at all sick and you don't have to feel sorry for me. And I'm very well educated on addictions (as I said, I've experienced it) and I still laugh at anyone claiming to be addicted to a video/PC game that they have to both pay for AND keep installed on a computer, especially when they at the same time state they do not enjoy the game.

    Doesn't have anything to do with anonymity either, just common sense and real life experience of the real deal, not people having a weird relationship to an optional game.
    highly doubt you are educated on addictions.
  1. quras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wg15 View Post
    So, Swtor losing 20% of subs (without the fail of 1.2 which will decrease the numbers again) and wow holding subs? Well done. Haters gonna hate. And I am still laughing.
    Talk about haters.

    Which of the two games you mentioned has lost over a million active players since let's say, Dec 20?

    How quickly you seem to laugh and also forget all at the same time.
  1. Xerra's Avatar
    Although the fanboism is pretty thick in here I will say that it seemed unfortunate that regardless of the quality of patch or whatever people want to use to blame the supposed decline of subscriptions that it is unfortunate that with the scroll of res boons that the numbers actually didn't go up at all. Would this represent then an unsuccessful promotion or just a method to maintain player base size?
  1. Rorcanna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tietoso View Post
    ppl are so blinded by their own fandom that they cant accept that WoW is done.
    other mmo's are better but they still stuck to wow cuz thats all they know and thats where their time and money was spent in.
    seriously why pay to play a sucky ass mmo if theres one even better for free? and if you do have the money to burn theres a better option than wow in swotor, rift and tera.
    WoW is far from done, only proper idiots would call a game this big and enjoyable (subjective, again) done.

    I've tried other mmos (Rift, SWTOR, GW2)...none won me over enough to take WoW's place.

    Sorry, you'll just gotta accept that people speak with their wallets here. In the end most people play games they feel attracted to, if SWTOR, Rift and soon Tera and GW2 don't take the cake, then that means people simply aren't as attracted to them as to WoW.
  1. Suikoden's Avatar
    Take that yeh haters!
  1. MFDangerDOOM's Avatar
    WoW isn't dying, that shits been dead since the Lich King died. Anyway I feel bad for the 10.2 Millionz subs who are being suckered into this game. WoW is now like new Adam Sandler movies that come out.

    (in case you didn't know they're cheap sleazy and suck ass)
  1. Krowz's Avatar
    I'm fascinated that people still care either way.

    Like the game? Play it.

    Don't like the game? Don't play it.... and then run to the forums and tell everyone that what they enjoy is wrong/stupid

    Morons.
  1. Mionelol's Avatar
    You want to play, you don't want to play and thus do not play. If you both keep playing AND paying to keep playing, then sadly, YOU = the issue here...not the game.
    You do realize there are intermediary positions between "like" and "do not like" ? I like a certain aspect of the game. I can't find this aspect anywhere else. I dislike nearly everything else in the game and can easily say I'm not enjoying the game as whole, although I remain subbed for a particular element I enjoy. I can also say without a doubt what I believe is making WoW a poor quality game destined to attract an audiance as large as possible without having any character progression, differenciation left anywhere, let alone difficulty.. Content is meant to be consumed rather than played and discovered, and I believe this is unhealthy for gaming. Atm, everything proposed by the game is easy as fuck - the only challenges are the challenges created by the players themselves, be it top level PvE races or arena tournies.
    Don't get me wrong because I believe easy content should exist, but having nothing else than easy content is akin to hello kitty online, not the game I grew to love in the past, and certainly not Blizzard.

    I have many issues, no doubt about that, but this ain't one, thank you.
  1. Rorcanna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tietoso View Post
    highly doubt you are educated on addictions.
    Doubt all you like, but I am and that's just that. I highly doubt that you are someone worthy to pass judgment on my knowledge, and that's just that as well . The word Addiction is something people throw around as lightheartedly as depression and "stressed out" and whatnot. The real deal > someone just lacking the willpower to stop playing a pc/video game.

    Have a nice day.
  1. Smeggy's Avatar
    Just skimmed over the 1st 4-5 pages of this thread, and I found it strange that ppl were, in a nutshell, putting down haters of WoW, even though I didn't notice any 'haters'.

    This whole 'fanboy' thing is absolutely childish IMO. If someone questions the integrity of WoW in any way, they are 'lynched' by these blinkered fans of the game.

    I started WoW mid TBC and was blown away, right from my Taurens 1st ever run up to Thunder Bluff and beyond, fantastic gaming experience I won't forget. I unsubbed to play SWToR but will come back for MoP. At the end of the day, they're just video games, thats all. It's ok to like and play other games.

    Peace
  1. Reqq's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    The real deal > someone just lacking the willpower
    I could say the same about your addictions and we could go round in circles all day.
  1. Mad_Murdock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelyorc View Post
    Never understood people who saw the AP as a "trick"...I'm really concerned about our school systems...seriously....these kids just are not ready for RL.
    Clearly the Annual Pass is a trick...Blizzard devised it has a way to piss off the people wishing WoW would die a painful, miserable death. I think those people who are wishing for WoW to die because they no longer like the game, might need to take a look in the mirror and ask themselves "Why so mad Bro ?!?" I get that people are unhappy with the direction that WoW has went in, but it's not like Blizzard screwed people over to get their. Wishing nothing but death and destruction on them just seems odd.

    I do think Blizzard did count on getting people hyped up and dropped the AP at Blizzcon to capitalize on the hype. If I based a guess off these forums, I'd say maybe 10-15% regret getting the AP. I don't know that it's because of the money per se, but they just realized that they made a Hype buy and now that the Hype has wore off, they wanted to quit and they feel silly. Of course, no one wants to admit they bouhgt out of impulse without thinking, that would require them to admit they weren't gods. And everyone on the internet is a super smart god-like being.
  1. Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amethystlyn View Post
    I'm kind of sad. I was hoping for a subscriber loss. Why, you ask? Because there are still more trolls and haters in my game and I wish for them to go away. They be hatin, but they still payin.
    Haven't really seen any in game lately. Only time I see them is on these forums ranting about why they quit.
  1. Xerra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeggy View Post
    Just skimmed over the 1st 4-5 pages of this thread, and I found it strange that ppl were, in a nutshell, putting down haters of WoW, even though I didn't notice any 'haters'.

    This whole 'fanboy' thing is absolutely childish IMO. If someone questions the integrity of WoW in any way, they are 'lynched' by these blinkered fans of the game.

    I started WoW mid TBC and was blown away, right from my Taurens 1st ever run up to Thunder Bluff and beyond, fantastic gaming experience I won't forget. I unsubbed to play SWToR but will come back for MoP. At the end of the day, they're just video games, thats all. It's ok to like and play other games.

    Peace
    I sometimes wonder if it is gang mentality of 'us' and 'them' if you are not part of the group think with the same ideology and zealotry then you are 'them'. And from the pages of this topic I have red the WoW zealots hate 'them' a lot....
  1. Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelyorc View Post
    Never understood people who saw the AP as a "trick"...I'm really concerned about our school systems...seriously....these kids just are not ready for RL.
    I'll admit there's a good chance this is the fault of how our educators behave. With their "if we can't win then we're going to make your victory so meaningless it feels like a loss" attitude.
  1. Rorcanna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    You do realize there are intermediary positions between "like" and "do not like" ? I like a certain aspect of the game. I can't find this aspect anywhere else. I dislike nearly everything else in the game and can easily say I'm not enjoying the game as whole, although I remain subbed for a particular element I enjoy. I can also say without a doubt what I believe is making WoW a poor quality game destined to attract an audiance as large as possible without having any character progression, differenciation left anywhere, let alone difficulty.. Content is meant to be consumed rather than played and discovered, and I believe this is unhealthy for gaming. Atm, everything proposed by the game is easy as fuck - the only challenges are the challenges created by the players themselves, be it top level PvE races or arena tournies.
    Don't get me wrong because I believe easy content should exist, but having nothing else than easy content is akin to hello kitty online, not the game I grew to love in the past, and certainly not Blizzard.

    I have many issues, no doubt about that, but this ain't one, thank you.
    There's challenge to be had where challenge is meant to be had. Progression raiding and competitive PVP. I could go stand inside the ER doing nothing but perhaps putting bandaids on people and say "This is so easy, there's no challenge to being a doctor/nurse!"...that wouldn't make it true.

    The game wasn't more challenging before, anyone saying that boss mechanics were harder or that pvp was harder back in the days need to look back and maybe even read about old bosses. Time consuming? Yes. Bugged? Yes. Few quality-of-life features? Yes indeed. Back then an epic mount and one or 2 pieces of epic gear was considered the height of progression and pro. Today, full Heroic gear set, 100% Heroic drops/heroic titles and the highest PVP titles and elite gear/highest rating is what counts.

    Yeah, I have inside information, namely 2 brothers that were with this game from the start, clearing everything in raid content from MC/Onyxia's Lair up to Firelands of Cata.

    Saying that the game is too easy and then not excell in the areas where it's challenging, ain't very productive.
  1. Youarefired's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    Do you ever get tired of being wrong? Its like the guy that predicted the end of the world 3 different times =/
    Whether I am wrong or right doesn't matter. All that matters is Diablo 3.

    5 days, 8 hours, 21 minutes and 15 seconds.
  1. AdriWar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    Watching Haters Writhe in Agony, it is a very good day.
    Amazing isnt it?

Site Navigation