MMO-Champion - Mists of Pandaria Cinematic Trailer
Mists of Pandaria Cinematic Trailer

This article was originally published in forum thread: Mists of Pandaria Cinematic Trailer started by chaud View original post
Comments 1447 Comments
  1. Emberess's Avatar
    i thought his sword was broken? thats why he made the spear, and then he had like a tip less kinda sword, also orc and human trade best thing lol , and when Chen fixed the hammer statue thingy
  1. ngc2440's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anothdae View Post
    If someone beat you up, but didnt kill you, then walked back to this village with hundreds of others like him, what would you do as a soldier? Say "all is forgiven" and walk away, or go back, get better weapons and more people so next time you could win the fight?

    I mean, the expansion is about the war that consumes the continent, not about the pandarian that try to stop it from happening. Unsuccessfully I might add.
    I would question on why he didn't kill me. I know talking is such a hard concept but if he really wanted to hurt me he would have. The simple truth is he stopped the fight between me and my enemy. That right there would cause some alarms to be raised in my head.

    Something like that would be lost to you though. What with not being able to think about something more than "KILL, BLOOD, DEATH!"
  1. Cammancy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kizee94 View Post
    But you don't have to agree with why people post what they do, even if it comes off as irritating. Let alone the fact that you can't assume that the OP's reasons for "bitching" are as simple as you seem to think they are. Lots of people grew attached to the game as it used to be before Cata, Wrath, or whatever expansion it might be for them. What makes losing it so painful for many is that unlike other games where you can replay it, you can only hope that the next expansion of WoW retains all the things that you like in the previous one, otherwise you'll lose it forever. People who loved BC for its raiding were disappointed with Wrath because the ideology changed drastically. The same goes for people who preferred 40mans in classic and they will never experience something like they did then again. Where you are right now personally, presumably enjoying the game, is great and I hope you make the most of it. But in two, say, four years in the future when things aren't like they were "back in the day", you might feel just as disenfranchised as anybody.
    You know, I'm going to tell you a story here. I really loved pre-cata Azeroth. There was nothing quite like running around on my Frostwolf, feeling that sense of adventure. What happened when Cata came out? I was crushed. Absolutely destroyed. After playing for a while, I got over it. I miss those days, yeah, but I'm not going to retain the mentality that, 'well, cata was shit, so the next expansions are probably going to be dumb and shitty'. I just look fondly on those memories, but I don't dwell on them. I move on, and look forward to newer things; To change.

    I think people really need to just take a step back, breathe, and wait until they actually get a chance to play through the expansion themselves. Even if the Cinematic looks 'kiddy', or 'childlike', that does NOT represent the actual game inside. (Confirmed; It doesn't.) If you fill 'disenfranchised', then you really might want to just take a break from a game in general. Example: I think Skyward Sword is a shitty ass game. Am I going to abandon the whole LoZ franchise because of it? Of course not, I just look and hope that Nintendo just makes something better. It's the same way I look at Blizzard's stuff.

    People just like to look at things now with a pooey vision, because that's what everybody else does, or people they associate with do, before actually giving the game itsself a chance. I'm just saying, if you look at everything like 'Oh noo, this expansion is going to suck,' or 'Oh noo, this expansion is so childish, full of children..ugh.', that's ALL you're going to find in there. It's like the whole, 'if you go into this thinking your'e going to have a bad time, you're going to have a bad time.'

    Now then, let us all be friends and mutually agree that more Sha would have been nicer. (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
  1. anothdae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fs161200 View Post
    They had to. Or Pandas would look meh and Pandas are the main seller. Would be like having James Bond seeing a damsel in distress and turn back to his martini, pay his bill and go home to sleep...
    See, I guess that is the real issue. Blizz thinks that pandas are the main seller, but that is a hard sell for some non trivial part of the playerbase.

    The main seller was supposed to be an all out war between ally and horde, and the cinematic had that war being cut short.

    The trailer should have been the other way around, show the pandas first, then show the war, and have the pandas look on in confusion and fear that their world is about to be rocked. Because it is. THIS is the expansion, not a successful stop to the fighting.
  1. Phookah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluxwave View Post
    excuse you, but the valid point being made is that of illidan, lich king and deathwing, hell even nefarian. And then some peaceful disney pandas that we cant tell that like war or peace? Do you see some sort of pattern here? thats the point people are amazed at. hell id be all for pandaria and its powerful enemies if it were portrayed in that menacing (protaganist) manner... however this expansion is based on a different angle to all the last content that came before it..

    you sir need to stop defending what you dont understand.
    That may have been the most ironic thing I've ever read.
  1. fs161200's Avatar
    Well. A trailer is supposed to sell... I hope it did it for many - it just didn't for me. The wow i like is not the wow I see in the trailer. So no $ to buy and no $ from me to Blizz... I'll save those $ for something that DO catch my fancy...
  1. Omgtotemz's Avatar
    In my opinion, the cinematic was fantastic. It conveyed the way Pandaren are towards most encounters and it also showed that this expansion is focused on something other than a big bad. This expansion's focus is the Pandaren people and the introduction into our more well known Azerothian society. They're peacekeepers, but only to an extent. What will drive them to go to war? What kind of challenges will there be for these people? Will these challenges unite Azeroth or simply bring the Pandaren to be disgusted by our behavior?
    The cinematic gives way to innumerable possibilities, the likes of which I think will develop nicely throughout the expansion. People forget that there's lore in content patches, which will greatly expand on the questions we may have as well as give us some insight as to what kind of evil the Pandaren will actually fight against. Hell, we may see some interesting events unfold to change the minds of those who refer to this expansion as "Kung-fu Panda".
    Final though: World of Warcraft is a constantly developing story, just as any other massive universe is. This expansion isn't focused on "Hey, there's _______, lets kill everything to get to them!" the expansion is focused on a race of people and their development. To those that say Pandaren shouldn't have been included I ask this: Why? Is it because you've seen some stupid children's movie about a Panda? Does every new race have to be what you think it to be? Every expansion with new races, people complain excessively. "SPACE GOATS OH NO" "Mana-junkie Elves" "I can't play a worgen because they're for furries." etc.
    Get over yourselves. Watch the game and the WoW universe expand with the new possibilities of Pandaria.
  1. anothdae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    I would question on why he didn't kill me. I know talking is such a hard concept but if he really wanted to hurt me he would have. The simple truth is he stopped the fight between me and my enemy. That right there would cause some alarms to be raised in my head.

    Something like that would be lost to you though. What with not being able to think about something more than "KILL, BLOOD, DEATH!"
    Are you insulting me personally? Because thinking "KILL, BLOOD, DEATH!" is exactly what both races were doing in the cinematic, and is exactly what this expansion is about, the all out war between the horde and alliance.

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-16 at 06:11 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Cammancy View Post
    I think people really need to just take a step back, breathe, and wait until they actually get a chance to play through the expansion themselves. Even if the Cinematic looks 'kiddy', or 'childlike', that does NOT represent the actual game inside.
    Yes, we "get" this. This thread is about whether we liked the cinematic or not, not whether we like the expansion. Some people ... gasp ... might be excited about the expansion, yet dissipation in the cinematic because, like you said, it isnt really representative of the game.
  1. Barryhn's Avatar
    Is it just me or are they the Orc and Human from the cover picture of warcraft 2:Tides of Darkness???
  1. Bluxwave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    That may have been the most ironic thing I've ever read.
    well then please enlighten me on the menacing enemy that this expansion is based around and ill give cookies
  1. Lord Swizzlington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anothdae View Post
    Are you insulting me personally? Because thinking "KILL, BLOOD, DEATH!" is exactly what both races were doing in the cinematic, and is exactly what this expansion is about, the all out war between the horde and alliance.
    It's not though, it's about the consequences caused by the senseless and aimless conflict between the Horde and Alliance. The trailer actually captures the story of what I've seen on the beta perfectly. During the Horde intro to Pandaria, we open fire on an Alliance ship...just because we saw an Alliance ship. What happens? Both Horde and Alliance get effed over and nearly die. Why do they fight? Then you have the Pandaren who are thrown into all this. They don't want to fight, hell, when you get to the end of the Jade Forest quest line, their unwillingness to fight leads to the destruction of the Jade Serpent and countless deaths. What is worth fighting for? Seriously, play the game a bit, everything makes much more sense if you actually pay attention.
  1. Reufio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    I loved that cinematic, I love pandaren, I loved seeing pandaren beat up non-pandaren, awesome cinematic.
    I personally loved the trailer. It felt like a nice cinema tv spot. People will be upset because there was a panda in the cinematic for Mists of PANDAria but oh well; live and let idiocy live. Amazing graphics as usual. My second favorite to WOTLK and an immense improvement over the CATA cinematic( I liked it, but just not as much as others).

    In other news, the warrior community cries out again about their class being gimped in PVP in the advent of their recent 2v1 encounter with a Monk.
  1. kizee94's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cammancy View Post
    You know, I'm going to tell you a story here. I really loved pre-cata Azeroth. There was nothing quite like running around on my Frostwolf, feeling that sense of adventure. What happened when Cata came out? I was crushed. Absolutely destroyed. After playing for a while, I got over it. I miss those days, yeah, but I'm not going to retain the mentality that, 'well, cata was shit, so the next expansions are probably going to be dumb and shitty'. I just look fondly on those memories, but I don't dwell on them. I move on, and look forward to newer things; To change.

    I think people really need to just take a step back, breathe, and wait until they actually get a chance to play through the expansion themselves. Even if the Cinematic looks 'kiddy', or 'childlike', that does NOT represent the actual game inside. (Confirmed; It doesn't.) If you fill 'disenfranchised', then you really might want to just take a break from a game in general. Example: I think Skyward Sword is a shitty ass game. Am I going to abandon the whole LoZ franchise because of it? Of course not, I just look and hope that Nintendo just makes something better. It's the same way I look at Blizzard's stuff.

    People just like to look at things now with a pooey vision, because that's what everybody else does, or people they associate with do, before actually giving the game itsself a chance. I'm just saying, if you look at everything like 'Oh noo, this expansion is going to suck,' or 'Oh noo, this expansion is so childish, full of children..ugh.', that's ALL you're going to find in there. It's like the whole, 'if you go into this thinking your'e going to have a bad time, you're going to have a bad time.'

    Now then, let us all be friends and mutually agree that more Sha would have been nicer. (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

    Couldn't have said it better myself.
  1. Deadanon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anothdae View Post
    I still dont understand why it had a pandarian beating up/trying to stop the fight. It was great until that point.

    Whats the message, that we will be fighting pandarian? Sorry pandas, you joined the alliance/horde, and you fight for them. On your own land.

    This expansion was about total war horde v alliance, and that war crashing over the pandarian continent, and the first half of this showed that well, the second half? It was entirely counter to what this expansion is about.
    Agree - it doesn't add up. But hey... thats nothing new when it comes to WOW.

    The sad part... is that ppl that played for last 7 years or so.. seem to be fighting with sticks. Lacks all the new spells they can do ... oh wait... some classes have actually lost more than they have gained... Check !
  1. ngc2440's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anothdae View Post
    Are you insulting me personally? Because thinking "KILL, BLOOD, DEATH!" is exactly what both races were doing in the cinematic, and is exactly what this expansion is about, the all out war between the horde and alliance.

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-16 at 06:11 PM ----------



    Yes, we "get" this. This thread is about whether we liked the cinematic or not, not whether we like the expansion. Some people ... gasp ... might be excited about the expansion, yet dissipation in the cinematic because, like you said, it isnt really representative of the game.
    You are right that is the mentality of the human and orc up until the end of the cinematic. Chen comes along and shows them that going down that road will just lead to their ruin. Heck it even hints at there being a mutual understanding (not necessarily liking) between the two factions later on in the expansion. I am just puzzled on why people can't 'read between the lines' in the cinematic instead of looking at it blindly.

    Also you can take it as a personal insult if you wish. I honestly don't care.
  1. Anjerith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anothdae View Post
    The trailer should have been the other way around, show the pandas first, then show the war, and have the pandas look on in confusion and fear that their world is about to be rocked. Because it is. THIS is the expansion, not a successful stop to the fighting.
    By the time you have experienced about half of the quests in Pandaria, I hope you have abandoned your naive notion that the Pandaren are some race of cavemen that have never experienced war or acts of cruelty in their past. They have been subjugated more harshly than the Horde and Alliance have ever done to each other. They have simply reached a different conclusion on how to address it.
  1. Lord Swizzlington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadanon View Post
    Agree - it doesn't add up. But hey... thats nothing new when it comes to WOW.

    The sad part... is that ppl that played for last 7 years or so.. seem to be fighting with sticks. Lacks all the new spells they can do ... oh wait... some classes have actually lost more than they have gained... Check !
    Because the two NPCs shown don't represent any player class in game? Would it have been better if the Orc did Bladestorm and the Human popped Avenging Wrath all the while the Monk sat in back using Spinning Crane Kick?
  1. Cammancy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anothdae View Post
    Are you insulting me personally? Because thinking "KILL, BLOOD, DEATH!" is exactly what both races were doing in the cinematic, and is exactly what this expansion is about, the all out war between the horde and alliance.

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-16 at 06:11 PM ----------



    Yes, we "get" this. This thread is about whether we liked the cinematic or not, not whether we like the expansion. Some people ... gasp ... might be excited about the expansion, yet dissipation in the cinematic because, like you said, it isnt really representative of the game.
    That's the problem. People are saying that because the cinematic 'sucks', the expansion 'sucks', and will be 'childish and kiddy'.
    I dunno, but last time I watched Bear's Big Blue House, I didn't see a troll getting his eyes ripped out and bleeding everywhere.
  1. Honeyprime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post
    *Human hands Orc the weapon*
    *Panda grins*

    Perfect ^^
    I agree. That was epic.

    I have to say that has to be the best trailer yet. It was AMAZING!!! I loved the humor. The calmness of the Panda, the looks on the human and orc's faces. Priceless. Brute strength doesn't always win fights. I was very entertained and more than pleasantly surprised. Great work by Blizzard. I wasn't going to touch a Panda or monk with a 10 foot pole but I think I will now!

    Why all the haters and complainers are still playing the game and coming to a forum dedicated to WoW is beyond me.
  1. Reufio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexiefy View Post
    and did you know that warcraft main theme is fight between orcs and humans? or as of w3 and onwards horde and alliance?
    And then again, since when disney comedy is required in order to present pandaria?

    Did you notice in the older cinematics the very cartoonish sheep the mage makes or the warlock casting hellfire on the murlocs? Comic relief isn't new to WoW. You just saw Pandas and comic relief and decided to comment negatively on it. Its cool, don't deny it. You're entitled to that opinion. Just remember that there's always more to something than you may be waxing about.

Site Navigation