MMO-Champion - 2.7 Million copies of MoP sold, WoW passes 10M Subscribers
2.7 Million copies of MoP sold, WoW passes 10M Subscribers
Blizzard just published the sales numbers for Mists of Pandaria and it looks like our favorite game is back over the 10M subscribers mark. For reference, the sales number for the previous expansions were:

  • The Burning Crusade - 2.4M First Day, 3.5M First Month
  • Wrath of the Lich King - 2.8M First Day, 4M First Month
  • Cataclysm - 3.3M First Day, 4.7M First Month

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
PARIS, France -- October 4, 2012 -- Following the September 25 global rollout of World of Warcraft®: Mists of Pandaria™, the new expansion to the world’s #1 subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game, Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that millions of players have already joined the fight for Pandaria. During the first week of launch, prior to the release in China on October 2, the expansion had already sold through approximately 2.7 million copies and the game’s global player base passed 10 million subscribers, with growth across all major regions.*

“With Mists of Pandaria, we set out to expand on the sense of fun and discovery that’s always been at the heart of World of Warcraft -- in addition to adding a huge variety of new content and features to the game,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “It’s been gratifying to see the results of all of the work we put into this expansion and to hear all of the positive feedback from players so far.”

The World of Warcraft development team is already hard at work on the first major post-launch content update. Further details, including features and release timing, will be provided in the weeks ahead.

[Read More ...]
This article was originally published in forum thread: 2.7 Million copies of MoP sold, WoW passes 10M Subscribers started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 338 Comments
  1. dahmer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    It's pretty funny to see people arguing over whether or not a game with 3M expansions sales and 10M subscribers is dying. Some people really need some perspective.
    It sold less in a week than Cata did in a day and those 10M subs will surely drop when a lot of the people with the annual pass can cancel their sub.

    Stating the amount of subs is so pointless it's crazy especially when thinking about friends I've got complaining about dead realms, makes you wonder how many of the subs are actually still playing...
  1. Riddles's Avatar
    Also another question and maybe a silly one but if wow has 8mil players and 2.7 mil bought the expansion what about the other 5.3mil?
    Or does WoW eu and US only count 2.7 players out of the 8mil?
    The 2.7mil also means the physical copies included? so without that its 2mil digital sold?
  1. ShadowCrafter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Down below 8million within 6months, my prediction. Can't wait to quote this in six months time.
    Well China has had shorter expansion intervals because its always been behind the west by a long way. Now they have pretty much caught up to us which means blizzard will need to provide content otherwise the Chinese will feel the same pain the west have with content delays.
  1. maldias's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Down below 8million within 6months, my prediction. Can't wait to quote this in six months time.
    might want to start washing your feet better, that way they don't taste so bad when you put them in your mouth.
  1. Mr P's Avatar
    Very impressive figures for a game that is almost 8 years old. Sure it is less than at peak but still damn respectable. WoW is currently not dying. Bleeding perhaps but is likely to live a few years more at least!
  1. Biggiej's Avatar
    Happy to hear they are doing well on numbers. I did highly expect the numbers to bounce back up after the very very long Dragon soul patch, but what I want to see is how this expansion does 3-6 months later. I will have my sub cancelled after my contract is ended and I did not buy MOP, because I want to see how well Blizzard does in maintaining their game on issues like, balance, raid content, and dungeon content. Cata was nothing but broken promises, so I want to see if they have turned it around in MoP before I put money into it.
  1. Liebchen's Avatar
    I would like to see the US + EU numbers.
    Pretty sure there are only so many copies sold because of the growing markets in Asia.... i dont really know but lets say Wotlk was sold 2,2mio times in EU+US and 600k times in Asia. For MoP the numbers should look something like 1,5mio in EU+US and 1,2mio in Asia.

    Moreover there are a lot of people with multiple accounts who have to buy mop multiple times too.
  1. Serpenth's Avatar
    Can argue that the sales are poor any way you want. 1 million people came back to play MoP. That's 1/3 of the loss gained back. Once word spreads that MoP is actually good than people will try it out and realize the pandas aren't so bad little creatures.

    There aren't really any glaring issues that would cause subscribers to leave in the masses. If they are smart they will make reputation account wide though. Don't know how they missed that one.

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-04 at 10:55 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Liebchen View Post
    I would like to see the US + EU numbers.
    Pretty sure there are only so many copies sold because of the growing markets in Asia.... i dont really know but lets say Wotlk was sold 2,2mio times in EU+US and 600k times in Asia. For MoP the numbers should look something like 1,5mio in EU+US and 1,2mio in Asia.

    Moreover there are a lot of people with multiple accounts who have to buy mop multiple times too.
    Ah yeah the Asia argument. Can't forget to discredit the numbers in every way possible by bringing up Asia. What does it matter? It's World of Warcraft not EU/US of Warcraft.
  1. Tarien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    might want to start washing your feet better, that way they don't taste so bad when you put them in your mouth.
    Can't wait to quote this too I'll PM you when I do.
  1. Xilurm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dahmer View Post
    It sold less in a week than Cata did in a day and those 10M subs will surely drop when a lot of the people with the annual pass can cancel their sub.

    Stating the amount of subs is so pointless it's crazy especially when thinking about friends I've got complaining about dead realms, makes you wonder how many of the subs are actually still playing...
    Mate... you do realize that even if WoW drops to 1M players, it won't be considered dead right? SWTOR has around 500k subs and it's still kicking. Atleast that was the number I read about last time.


    PS: Welcome back Boubouille. This was your first news post since a long time if I'm not mistaken.
  1. XingoJenkins's Avatar
    Pessimists will always be pessimists.

    Well, welcome back those who joined or came back to WoW.
  1. Riddles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Mate... you do realize that even if WoW drops to 1M players, it won't be considered dead right? SWTOR has around 500k subs and it's still kicking. Atleast that was the number I read about last time.


    PS: Welcome back Boubouille. This was your first news post since a long time if I'm not mistaken.
    Its still kicking but its going f2p, so it isnt kicking that hard
  1. Lord Swizzlington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Can't wait to quote this too I'll PM you when I do.
    To be fair, you chose a super conservative number and gave yourself a super conservative time frame in which to accomplish it. 2 million people in six months is in line with losses before, so don't think you're being prophetic or unique. If anything, you either need a bigger number or a smaller number to warrant quoting.
  1. Xilurm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Can't wait to quote this too I'll PM you when I do.
    Let's say you're wrong. Just a thought. What happens then?

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-04 at 05:59 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    Its still kicking but its going f2p, so it isnt kicking that hard
    Yeah but people still talk about it. Even this site posts new about it from time to time.
  1. Riddles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Let's say you're wrong. Just a thought. What hapens then?

    ---------- Post added 2012-10-04 at 05:59 PM ----------



    Yeah but people still talk about it. Even this site posts new about it from time to time.
    Still very rarely, but it has nothing to do with WoW
  1. Xilurm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    Still very rarely, but it has nothing to do with WoW
    It will take ages for WoW to get to that point.
  1. Summerdrake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    It's pretty funny to see people arguing over whether or not a game with 3M expansions sales and 10M subscribers is dying. Some people really need some perspective.
    It sold for less than the previous two expansions, so yes, it is dying.
  1. Steelyorc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Down below 8million within 6months, my prediction. Can't wait to quote this in six months time.
    Aren't you late for your Rift Fanboy meeting?
  1. Chaozu's Avatar
    Only 10 million after the release of a whole new expansion? I expected a lot more. My bet is that it's going to proceed in dropping as seen before, and that we will be bellow 9 million by January... Not saying I'm unhappy with the game, I love this expansion so far, but if history is any indication along with these news, it doesn't look very good.
  1. Pengwinn's Avatar
    Note: Annual passers are STILL on subscription whether or not they are playing MoP. I expect the numbers to go down a fair amount when November rolls around.

Site Navigation