MMO-Champion - 2.7 Million copies of MoP sold, WoW passes 10M Subscribers
2.7 Million copies of MoP sold, WoW passes 10M Subscribers
Blizzard just published the sales numbers for Mists of Pandaria and it looks like our favorite game is back over the 10M subscribers mark. For reference, the sales number for the previous expansions were:

  • The Burning Crusade - 2.4M First Day, 3.5M First Month
  • Wrath of the Lich King - 2.8M First Day, 4M First Month
  • Cataclysm - 3.3M First Day, 4.7M First Month

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
PARIS, France -- October 4, 2012 -- Following the September 25 global rollout of World of Warcraft®: Mists of Pandaria™, the new expansion to the world’s #1 subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game, Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that millions of players have already joined the fight for Pandaria. During the first week of launch, prior to the release in China on October 2, the expansion had already sold through approximately 2.7 million copies and the game’s global player base passed 10 million subscribers, with growth across all major regions.*

“With Mists of Pandaria, we set out to expand on the sense of fun and discovery that’s always been at the heart of World of Warcraft -- in addition to adding a huge variety of new content and features to the game,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “It’s been gratifying to see the results of all of the work we put into this expansion and to hear all of the positive feedback from players so far.”

The World of Warcraft development team is already hard at work on the first major post-launch content update. Further details, including features and release timing, will be provided in the weeks ahead.

[Read More ...]
This article was originally published in forum thread: 2.7 Million copies of MoP sold, WoW passes 10M Subscribers started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 338 Comments
  1. Doozerjun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    I gues it's not too bad... Some people returned too. MoP is ok I would say.

    Though the dailies are annoying, I kinda though we got rid of this whole "be obliged to log in every day to do the same repetitive, boring content" thing when we started grinding rep in dungeons, when we shifted from daily hero to weekly dungeons etc. They were making these changes over 2 expansions and suddenly changed their mind.

    Not that this has any impact on the MoP sales, just what personally annoys me.
    Yeah it's a good expansion for those that enjoyed it. I bought it as well, don't really enjoy it (haven't played it since the past weekend). The use of dailies really did put a damper on any kind of enthusiasm I had for the game before MoP came out.
  1. hawtlol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XingoJenkins View Post
    Look like we have many Activision|Blizzard stakeholders here. Everyone sayin' this game is dying... 10 million subscriptions and it's dying...

    What difference is this for you? Are you loosing your money when subscription goes down?

    If the game have 23 million and drop to 20 million, the game is dying too?
    If the game have 53 million and drop to 50 million, the game is dying too?
    If the game have 103 million and drop to 100 million, the game is dying too?

    Blizzard now needs satisfy ppl not only with game content, but with new players and more subscription. More and more...

    I don't get it why ppl still discuss "WoW is dying" related threads.
    what a a terrible analogy. 30% of a playerbase missing is a lot bigger than 3%
  1. bklutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Santoryu View Post
    I've found questing to be very enjoyable bar Dread Wastes.
    pretty much my exact feeling... townlong burned me out and when i got to dread i felt like it was such a grind....
  1. FyreRT's Avatar
    Lol, screw the WoW haters! WoW isnt dying anytime EVER!
  1. Raivosoturi's Avatar
    I subscribed back because MoP seemed good and it is. However, don't screw me over again and pull some 3.2/4.1 patch bullshit again Blizzard or I'm gone for good.
  1. Biggiej's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Briga View Post
    Agreed.

    Look at it this way, MOP sales so far are alone are bigger than the total subscriber base of its nearest rivals in the MMO market...

    An old blizzard employee mentioned this about WoW and its loss of subs over time, more people as time goes on, will quit WoW than play WoW, and that has been the case for quite a long time now. While there is no other 1 solely based big major MMO out there, there are A LOT of other MMO options out there. One other MMO will never be as big as WoW, that is for sure, but that doesn't mean other MMOs aren't attracting other players to play something different then WoW. It isn't just one game that shifts players from WoW over to the next big thing, it is multiple games that shift WoW players into many other different things and options when they are bored and looking to try something new.
  1. Pinguim's Avatar
    this reminds me some kids fight " I dont like this toy anymore and i dont want you to like it! I hope this toy die! "
  1. therayeffect's Avatar
    Pretty much exactly what I expected. The next 3months and the next tier are really going to set the tone for the direction that Blizz wants for MoP. For me personally I'm not liking it too much. I already knew the grinding was going to be bad but damn I didn't expect to dislike it as much as I have. Grinding dailies for 2 hours a day because they're REQUIRED for high end raiding is rough on top of the high amount of hours we're putting in for raid. I wish we had a choice like in Cata when you could do all of your heroic 5man dailies in one day incase you were too busy on like a Tuesday and couldn't make it on. What really gets me though is their lack of interest for Alts. No one in his right mind is going to grind out 200 dailies a week just to grind out another 200 dailies on EVERY SINGLE ALT. I'm already fairly certain of the future though. Quite sure that normal is getting nerfed come Tuesday, perhaps as late as next Tuesday. I'm fairly certain that heroics will be nerfed someday in February and I'm certain that if that day is before new content, I'm certain I'm done. WoW's best advantage is that there isn't any good competition out. Everything is "meh" at best. We'll see how the future pans out.
  1. Skorpionss's Avatar
    People should bear in mind that MoP comes after what most ppl consider a disaster expansion(coz you know cata sucked ass), unlike Cata which came after probably the best expansion.. so yeah ppl are a bit more skeptical about MoP than they were about Cata... especially uninformed/misinformed ppl.

    Plus it is the first(Ithink) expansion not to come with a december release(holidays sales boost yay)...
  1. XingoJenkins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hawtlol View Post
    what a a terrible analogy. 30% of a playerbase missing is a lot bigger than 3%
    Doesn't matter, if 100 million drops to 70 million, we still have 70 million playing. I don't care if they lose 30%. I'm having fun with my friends, THIS I care.
  1. LollYPoPP's Avatar
    The only reason, why I`m still a subscriber, is because of the annual pass, it expires in the end of Octobre, and I won`t buy MoP until the End-Game Content of GW2 is Disappointing Me.
    I`m not 100% sure, but I think the annual pass thing falsifies the subcriber numbers by X. And WTF is this shit with the Panda stuff...
  1. Tiev's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong View Post
    Thanks all for making them justify charging that much for an expansion to such an old game! Had more of you held off, they would have been forced to charge less for the next expansion.
    <-- cares very little.

    I'm not poor and I want to play it on day one.
  1. Idletime's Avatar
    Help me out with the math. 2.7 million copies before China sales, but people remain subbed to the game and frozen at whatever level their account allows?

    I do have quite a few in my guild that haven't upgraded as of yet, so I'm trying to wrap my head around that one. Most say it's because they don't have the 40 bucks. But they have the 15 bucks for the sub. It surprises me they can't blow D3's sales rate out of the water with the biggest MMO of all time.
  1. digmouse's Avatar
    FYI, players in China and Taiwan (and probably plus Korea) don't have to pay for an expansion, it's free, which covers more than half of the 10 mil player base, so if you count that in, around 8 million players are playing MoP now.
  1. crakerjack's Avatar
    This is a bunch of twisted facts... MoP is 2.7 mil in the first week... not day. All those other games sold millions on the first day. Besides, the beginning of each expansion will always have a lot more players than mid to late expansion... Just wait. The next quarter after this current one will be an eye opener.
  1. Kezotar's Avatar
    Tbh, I don't care what you guys are saying. Most of you don't care. You guys play because you like the game. I play because I like the game.

    What I mean to say is that those saying wow is dying are treating this like a non existing object, they assume it will fall in subscribers. Its's their assumption. But how can they make a assumption based on my opinion? I do enjoy every second of WoW. I will not quit if it lacks content for a while, maybe take a break but never quit. You with the same thoughts as me wont.

    So tell me dear haters, who are your assumption based on? We are already saying we love WoW and wont quit, but you still keep barbling us with random opinions that you assume are our but aren't. We enjoy WoW, almost everyone does.

    Stop trying to make our choices, we decide them for ourselves and so far everyone is enjoying MoP. Even if it were to drop like to 8 million as some of you say, which most likely will never happen' for obvious reasons. Such as the lasting appeal of the game is strong.

    WoW will never get crushed, Blizzard alone has the power.

    Think blizzards subscribers as a stomach. If you eat fast up your food you won't feel filled, and want more. What happend? You eat more, and your stomach will hurt after a while. Meaning you learned a lesson to not eat your food in haste.

    You may say, what kind of stupid example was that? It's actually a clever one giving a demonstration of the market. How? Just because blizzard peaked their subscribers at 12 million it doesn't mean that all of them are satisfied. Many of them just bought WoW to try it out, didn't like, left it. That's how it works, people try new products just for their curiosity. If they don't like it, they leave, doesn't mean Blizzard is losing on loyal players.

    Another example if you didn't get my first example:

    My DPS is at a average on a Boss 70-75k ish. My burst, also, the peak of my burst hits 125k DPS. Now will it stay for 125k? No, it will diminish after a while, and drop me to a stable DPS. It's actually very logical, many may find the quite hard to understand. But think this through yourself.

    You're a guy, or a girl w/e. You're not the typical gamer, but you're kind of a casual gamer. You've heard of WoW for many years, but never given a thought of playing it. Now what do you do? You start buying it, try it out and love it for a good time. You don't feel WoW was quite the thing for you, or actually gaming, what do you do? You leave the game. It's not something with lack of content to do, but it's just that WoWs playerbase is built with alot of casual players and that occasions like this is very likely to happen. New players join the game, old gamers come back, new players leave, the one that left make a comeback. It's just how the market works. If you could have the right answers to a market you'd be rich. You can never, you can make assumptions and some kind of logical statics but it's just around, nothing right. Btw, NO, you WoW bashers don't have the required capacity to make those statistics, so no rights for you to make assumptions.

    At the end of all discussions. I don't play because a random plays the game. The reason I play WoW is a bit because of friends, but if my friends decide to leave WoW, it's not like I will leave WoW. He's not there to make that decision for me. I play this game soley for the enjoyment. I love the gameplay, I love the feeling I get when I play WoW. I LOVE THE MUSIC. I love how free I am in WoW. I try to jump around in mountains, bug around in buildings I don't have silly things like other games there I just glide down the mountain on invisible blocks, or when I try to Jump for a building or let's feature the GW2 random treasure spawn things, there the jumping and the locations where you jump from and to look so fake and almos like there's invisible boxes that are far from accurate placed that makes you look like you're flying some meters off the ground.


    WoW is the game for me, if I feel I don't like it anymore, I'll leave it. Nothing more than that. I'm not passionated to be a subscriber to WoW. I jus play soley for my own reason and I frankly couldn't care lses if any of you disslike WoW as it wouldn't affect my relationship to WoW.

    Thanks for me. I just had to say it.
  1. Pancaspe's Avatar
    10 million without China! Blizzard stated the majority of recent sub loss was in China, so this is a significant gain in the West. When China kicks in, along with the excellent word of mouth MOP is getting, I expect 15 million subs.
  1. Zoneseek's Avatar
    Not as successful as previous expansions but that's to be expected as wow has been generally in decline the last year or two. No matter to me though
  1. Kezotar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    This is a bunch of twisted facts... MoP is 2.7 mil in the first week... not day. All those other games sold millions on the first day. Besides, the beginning of each expansion will always have a lot more players than mid to late expansion... Just wait. The next quarter after this current one will be an eye opener.
    You know... MoP has more than 3 more weeks to increase their subscribers. For all we know they could hit 25 millions. Most likely they wont, but it can happen'. My assumption is a increase around 1 million more leaving mop at around 3,7-4 million in 1 month, making it pretty good compared to the other expansions.
  1. clevermoose02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LollYPoPP View Post
    The only reason, why I`m still a subscriber, is because of the annual pass, it expires in the end of Octobre, and I won`t buy MoP until the End-Game Content of GW2 is Disappointing Me.
    I`m not 100% sure, but I think the annual pass thing falsifies the subcriber numbers by X. And WTF is this shit with the Panda stuff...
    Judging by your grammar I'll assume you're 10, and...what is this GW2 end-game you speak of?

Site Navigation