MMO-Champion - Developer Interviews, Old Raid Changes, BG Queues and Addons, Blue Posts, Comic
PvP Blog Delayed, Blue posts, Poll: Which Act II Environment is Your Favorite?

Developer Interviews
Several developer interviews will be coming this week, and Gamebreaker has released their interview with Ghostcrawler. A summary of the main points is below, but watching the full interview is worth it if you want to hear the full answers!


World
  • Mists of Pandaria daily quests have shown that competing with other players for mob tagging and such is not fun. You should be excited when there are other players around, not grumpy! Blizzard is still actively looking for a solution to make it a nice thing to have other people around.
  • It isn't likely that the concept of servers will ever disappear, but solutions for low population realms are still being looked for.
  • There is a lot of variation in realm population as new patches come out, so merging and unmerging realms as the population goes up and down wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Questing / Reputation
  • Blizzard may have overdone the daily quests a little bit in pursuit of the goal of always having something for players to do when they log in. If they had to do it again, something like the Golden Lotus unlocking more and more areas would have been changed to just unlock a new area that replaces the old one, keeping the number of quests that you have to do every day the same.
  • Golden Lotus and Klaxxi have enough daily quests to burn players out, while August Celestial and Shado-Pan have a more reasonable amount of quests.
  • Lowering the rep requirements on some of the rewards was an attempt to make the amount of rep required before you could spend Valor Points more reasonable. If they had to do it again, it might have been nice to lower the requirements on some of the gear more so that there were some things to spend Valor Points on without grinding so many reputations.
  • Historically, players would use alts as something to do after they were mostly finished with what they wanted to do on their main character. Mists of Pandaria's goal was to provide enough to do so that you never ran out of things to do, which is nice with one character, but less nice with many. Solutions to this problem are being looked at, but they want to avoid the extreme of giving every character everything or making everything account wide.
  • One alternative being considered for reputation leveling is bonus reputation from your first scenario of the day.

PvE
  • The difference in difficulty between 10 and 25 man this time around was much smaller than before.
  • When looking at raid DPS parses, you have to be aware of sampling bias. If all of the good players are playing one spec, then the DPS of the other two specs will be lower, as those players are messing around or don't know what they are doing.
  • It isn't okay for a class to be really really bad on certain fights, but it is okay if some classes are somewhat better on some fights. It is more important to have fun encounters than it is to have an encounter where each spec is the best.
  • Ideally we will never see a 5 or 6 boss raid tier again.
  • The new loot system has worked out well, as players don't have any reason to be mad at each other over loot in LFR anymore. It is possible that we could see it being used in dungeons as well, but that is still under discussion.
  • One thing being considered is offering another choice to players that get the same item from a boss repeatedly. This would be some consolation prize like loot, not another item from the boss.
  • The use of PvP gear in PvE is okay, as grinding points to get an item rather than relying on a random drop is an idea that some players like. The item levels are lower than what the player would get in PvE, so the gear isn't overpowered. Players shouldn't have to go and do PvP to get gear to use in PvE or vice versa.
  • Patch 5.2 is going to take a look at what talents are very popular or very unpopular and try and bring them back in line. Overall though, the new talent system is working out well. Ideally there should be at least two talent choices per tier that are good, if not three.

PvP
  • PvP will never be perfectly balanced, but it can be balanced enough to be fun and fair. The balance in Mists of Pandaria still has some tweaking to do before it is at that point.
  • Hybrids could see some PvP power going towards their off role damage or healing. It is okay for a DPS to throw out a few heals, but not okay if they are as good as a healer for their team.
  • It is possible that base resilience could be increased to compensate for the PvP Power increase on Conquest weapons, but they need more than a few days of observation before a decision can be made.
  • We may see some changes in the future to make things better for people who PvP on multiple characters, as far as earning Conquest Points goes.
  • Many of the changes in Patch 5.1 were to address issues of PvP balance, and most didn't have a big impact on PvE.


Patch 5.1 - Old Raid Encounter Changes
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
We believe there was a lot of confusion when we originally announced this change and we're certainly at fault for said confusion. The original patch note was very vague to the point of being misleading. It was never our intent to weaken old raid boss encounters to allow anyone to have a chance to solo them, regardless of class, spec, or skill.

What we did change were encounters that were mechanically impossible for one person to accomplish, solely for the purpose of ensuring players have easier access to the hunt for the new rare companion pets -- the drop rates of which are actually set to account for a group of three players, not one.

Moving forward, though, we do not plan to adjust encounters for tougher raid bosses to be solo’able by all classes and specs.

Battleground Queues and Addons
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
if you break it down, what does a full oQueue premade bring to the table that is unfair?
I’ll try to break it down as clearly as I can:

Any addon that enables a full, organized Battleground group to queue against a randomly assembled group is creating a scenario where that coordinated group has a huge advantage. That is not in the spirit of the experience we want to provide in the normal Battleground queue. Playing with friends is fun and important, but it shouldn't come at the expense of the spirit of the game nor the fun of others.

The normal Battleground queue is for players to jump in and play against other players in a similar situation. We realize that it's not a perfect system, and we're still looking at ways to improve normal Battleground queues further. Regardless, it's not meant for organized groups to "pug stomp" and get quick Honor. We have built in outlets for players that want to organize--if a competitive, social experience was really the goal, then there are clear ways to achieve that.

The ultimate effect that this kind of queuing has had is to drive players away from PvP. Perhaps it's been a long time since you've been in a random group, but a lot of players will see that they're up against a premade and simply quit. At best, they suffer through it. To an extent premade groups count on this. Heck, one of the popular addons announces opposing players that appear to have rage quit.

Addons aren’t really a viable solution for botting issues, but we do take those issues seriously and we'll continue our work on improvements to the Battleground system, including better ways to deal with botting and other exploitative gameplay.

Now let us be honest, due to these addons and people like Rathamus and Tiny, regular Battleground PVP had picked up and was growing by leaps and bounds. That is what alerted you. More and more people were turning to the "coordinated" PVP and fewer and fewer "random groups" were being formed. The BG's were no longer sitting idle.
False. That is neither what 'alerted' us, nor were Battlegrounds ever even close to sitting idle.

What is true that there's been an increase in pre-made groups disrupting the PvP experience for other players, though. Pre-mades in the normal queue, however they are formed, are not something that we've ever been particularly fond of. It had become more of an issue of late, so we addressed it accordingly.

I know for a fact, that more and more of our games were against other "coordinated" opposing players. Battles became longer, harder and a whole hell of a lot more fun! They were not the Farm fest you claim they were, they were true Player vs Player games. Not scripted, not forced on anyone, not the repetitive grind of the normal wow game.
Perhaps this seemed to be your personal experience, but I assure you that this was far from generally the case. Regardless, what of the games that you played that weren't against other pre-mades? Just hapless casualties to your fun, I suppose?

Based on your enthusiasm for "true Player vs Player" combat, I'm sure that you'll find War Games and Rated Battlegrounds quite compelling.

You gave us everything we needed, including the idea, but then turned around and slapped our hands, pointed a finger, called us a name and said, this is NOT for you, it is for the REAL players.
You've made the assumption that all those things were accomplished expressly so that you could queue into battlegrounds as an organized group against disorganized opponents? That assumption is mistaken. If you want organized PvP against organized opponents, as you claim, that experience is readily available.

No one's wrist was slapped. There have been no suspensions over this issue. We're just making our stance on the subject clear, so that there's no room for misunderstanding.

Fix the bot problem and you'll see the premade "problem" fix itself.
Bots are a separate problem, with a separate solution. Please stop conflating the two, because, and I'll say this as respectfully as I can: this is complete nonsense.

Put simply, this argument is a red herring. For as long as there's been Battleground PvP, there have been players looking for a way to destroy their enemies to quickly and easily get fast rewards with a minimal time investment. That's the bottom line here, or the variety of other options available would be more compelling.

Bots aren't an issue in War Games or Rated Battlegrounds.

We love a premade PvP, and we love challenges. You guys could've come out with a premade PvP random battleground where we can match against other 10m/15m/40m premades PvP and go all out. Provide less honor point/conquest point. It's like an RBG, but without the ratings involved. Doesn't this solves all the problem everyone's having?
We're open to exploring the possibility of creating a pre-made queue for Battlegrounds, or improving the War Game system in some way.

Blue Posts
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Battle.net Balance and Blizzard Store
Using Battle.net Balance for more goods and services is certainly something we're working toward. We're kind of in an in-between stage where we have some services working together but not others, and unfortunately it's just not a simple thing to get as many systems and platforms (some dating back to the original release of WoW) as we have updated and integrated into a more cohesive experience. We'll get there though, and in the meantime I do apologize you weren't able to get the Cinder Kitten yet using Battle.net Balance. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Purpose of X.1 Patches
You forgot to mention those patches took months(I think ulduar was 5 month after Wrath launch) where as 5.1 was release in 2 months time. This was never meant to be a raid teir especially considering most people have not even downed most of the normal/heroic bosses.
Yeah, the main difference is really timing. In our quest to provide content faster we've been shaking up the patch cycles and how we approach our content roll out through the life of an expansion. Not wanting to speak too soon, but it looks like the cadence of this expansion is a lot closer to what we've been promising for years. It makes sense to me that if most people are not progressed through the initial content that the first x.1 patch (if it's going to arrive as quickly as 5.1 did) doesn't include an additional tier. And if that then means there are regular content releases thereafter... I don't know, at least for as much time I have to play and as progressed as I am, it sounds pretty good to me. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Patch 5.2 Farm Changes
How about a fishing pond, where we can chum the waters and get a school of fish we want/need? Dunno if that current pool is deep enough. Pfft.
That was actually mentined in our last meeting with the development team. While I can't make you any promises, I can tell you they geeked out a bit thinking about that one. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

WoW Graphics Engine
If the game had received absolutely zero graphical updates since release, I could definitely get behind the idea of a complete revamp. But that's really not the case. There's been a steady stream of updates over the course of WoW's existence. A huge number of models and textures have been improved. Yes, character models are still on the to-do list, but we've acknowledged that many times and have said we're working on them. I'm as eager to be sharing news on that with you as you are to hear it, trust me. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Upcoming Transmog Restriction Changes
Yup, definitely planning to lift this restriction down the line. As Zarhym said, we're currently hoping it'll make 5.2, but that's not 100% yet. We're working to allow you to transmogrify items that share animations, such as polearms and staves. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

World of Warcraft Mounts - 50% Off
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
Saddle up and save big! This week only, you can save 50% off the regular price when you snag the Celestial Steed, Heart of the Aspects, or Winged Guardian flying mounts, making this a great time to round out your mount collection with some exotic new additions, or hook up a friend with the gift of a sweet new ride this holiday season.

Giddy up - this offer ends Monday, December 10 at 11:59 p.m. PST.

Curse Launches Marriland.com: Pokémon Reference
If you are or were interested in Pokémon, then you likely have visited Marriland in the past. Today a new update was released that brought it in to the Curse family of sites and added or improved a lot of the content. If you haven't visited before, there are lots of guides and walkthroughs, videos, updated forums, the wiki, and the Pokedex!



Comics - Dark Legacy Comics #366
DLC #366 has been released.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Developer Interviews, Old Raid Changes, BG Queues and Addons, Blue Posts, Comic started by chaud View original post
Comments 109 Comments
  1. chocobo606's Avatar
    personally I think this new talent system is stupid, the other was stupid as well of course, just giving you an illusion of "choice". a talent system that has 3 choices per every tier FOR EACH SPEC would be amazing, this is just the lazy way of doing it giving all 3 specs the same 3 choices, it leads to fewer choices and "one or two choices out of three being good for each spec" is stupid, that's like saying this tier with 3 silences has a use in a raid environment when it doesnt
  1. Malackai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Siph View Post
    Tuning old raid encounters for soloing, yet you still need to be IN A RAID to enter the damn instances?
    All as far as I can tell all pre mop raids are accessible without a raid group (MC,BWL,AQ,NAXX etc) there are the ones I ran last night.
  1. petre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Siph View Post
    Tuning old raid encounters for soloing, yet you still need to be IN A RAID to enter the damn instances?
    That should be corrected. The 5.1 patch notes claimed that all pre-MoP raids shouldn't require a raid group to enter anymore.
  1. quras's Avatar
    Mists of Pandaria daily quests have shown that competing with other players for mob tagging and such is not fun. You should be excited when there are other players around, not grumpy! Blizzard is still actively looking for a solution to make it a nice thing to have other people around.
    It's comments like this that make me think blizzard employees like GS are so out of touch with players they have to be high all the time.

    The game has been around for 8 or so years and they just now think there is a mob tagging problem and just now think it's not fun.

    What I would give for a chance to smack him in the back of the head and yell, "WTH is wrong with you!"
  1. Gilian's Avatar
    I think they should stop trying to balance how much dailies you do or how much rep you need or whatever just to please as many people as possible and start focusing more on new content. Who REALLY cares if it takes a week longer or shorter to get revered. I rather see more brawlers guild or new quest zones, more 5 man dungeons or whatever you like.
    They can fix the obvious class issues but the constant tweaking of reputation and whatnot is just a waste of time if you would get a whole new 5 man dungeon for it in return. Fun new content > tweaking grinds to fit everyones schedule/preferences.

    Yes I know, they have different teams for different parts of the game. Like they can't cut back on one team and get more people for another team or something. Like there are not enough creative game developers out there who would love to work with Blizzard who can create a nice dungeon.
  1. drmadhatter's Avatar
    I hate that they feel the Talent system is okay. I want my tree back I'm ready to switch games because its stupid to be able to just pick a spec have everything it has to offer and add some random Talents in there and say oh this is how you spec. Its lazy design in my opinion. They said the new trees where to better help us play. As a healing druid you should decided better lifebloom at the price of shorter rejuve or vice versa. That should be something we decide not oh well here you go and some glyphs and some crappy talents to make you feel good and add symbosis. Which yet again in my opinion is point less. All honest I would love to hear from another druid and tell me what they use it for, as a healer its not that great, Iceblock from a mage (maybe) lived with out it before can raid with out it now so its pointless.
  1. Sweetz's Avatar
    I don't understand his statement about the LFR loot system working well...
    Sure we're not whining at each other any more, but that's because players have no way of controlling the loot destribution, not because we agree with the system. Doing looking for raid should have a reasonable chance of giving you whatever item it is that you want. This chance seems ->0 to me, which is simply wrong. Atleast before you had a great chance of the item dropping, and then you could stack friends to need it for you or you could BEGGGG whoever won it to give it to you. Now it's just "meh I didn't get it this week or the previous 10, I'll keep trying, whatever... I know I'll probably never get it while I need it, but I'll keep trying in spite of the chance of me getting it being 1 in 750000.

    The LFR loot system is NOT good and it should NOT be added to dungeons or heroic dungeons.. or anything else. In fact it should be changed in LFR. Even the old system was better.
    Instead of having people ninjaloot, like you did before, you now have people disenchanting / vendoring items they never wanted in the first place. How is that better? How could that ever even be considered better? In what world is that better? It's a hell of a lot worse than ninjalooting. Atleast ninjalooting usually means that the item gets used by whoever ninjad it, because the player wanted it that badly.
    I know all of the above is just my opinion, but I am one of those guys going LFR to get the last items I need for my heroic progress, and I do it every week and I often get items, which I don't want, so I disenchant them, while I never get the items that I do want (the amount of items that I want is obviously less than the amount of items that I don't want).
    Long rant @ Ghostcrawler grossly misinterpreting the "success" of the LFR loot system.
  1. quras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    I don't understand his statement about the LFR loot system working well...
    Sure we're not whining at each other any more, but that's because players have no way of controlling the loot destribution, not because we agree with the system. Doing looking for raid should have a reasonable chance of giving you whatever item it is that you want. This chance seems ->0 to me, which is simply wrong. Atleast before you had a great chance of the item dropping, and then you could stack friends to need it for you or you could BEGGGG whoever won it to give it to you. Now it's just "meh I didn't get it this week or the previous 10, I'll keep trying, whatever... I know I'll probably never get it while I need it, but I'll keep trying in spite of the chance of me getting it being 1 in 750000.

    The LFR loot system is NOT good and it should NOT be added to dungeons or heroic dungeons.. or anything else. In fact it should be changed in LFR. Even the old system was better.
    Instead of having people ninjaloot, like you did before, you now have people disenchanting / vendoring items they never wanted in the first place. How is that better? How could that ever even be considered better? In what world is that better? It's a hell of a lot worse than ninjalooting. Atleast ninjalooting usually means that the item gets used by whoever ninjad it, because the player wanted it that badly.
    I know all of the above is just my opinion, but I am one of those guys going LFR to get the last items I need for my heroic progress, and I do it every week and I often get items, which I don't want, so I disenchant them, while I never get the items that I do want (the amount of items that I want is obviously less than the amount of items that I don't want).
    Long rant @ Ghostcrawler grossly misinterpreting the "success" of the LFR loot system.
    Sorry but GS says you as a player have no reason to complain about the LFR system and since blizzard seems to think they know what "fun" is and how you as an individual player will have "fun" he must be right.

    You're going to have to stop now.
    /sarcasm

    Blizzard is so full of it these days.

    You're are so dead on with this statement too:

    Sure we're not whining at each other any more, but that's because players have no way of controlling the loot destribution, not because we agree with the system.
  1. duster2's Avatar
    The new loot system has worked out well, as players don't have any reason to be mad at each other over loot in LFR anymore. It is possible that we could see it being used in dungeons as well, but that is still under discussion.
    What a total and utter bull. The current system benefits only pure classes and hybrid classes are punished for playing specs like healers that are needed - and at the same time are unable to do Brawlers guild and bored out of their life grinding dailies in 463 gear....

    Thats bad design of loot system. And it explains very well why 3 hybrid classes are the least played at this point in time. http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php?serverid=-1
  1. fengosa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drmadhatter View Post
    I hate that they feel the Talent system is okay. I want my tree back I'm ready to switch games because its stupid to be able to just pick a spec have everything it has to offer and add some random Talents in there and say oh this is how you spec. Its lazy design in my opinion. They said the new trees where to better help us play. As a healing druid you should decided better lifebloom at the price of shorter rejuve or vice versa. That should be something we decide not oh well here you go and some glyphs and some crappy talents to make you feel good and add symbosis. Which yet again in my opinion is point less. All honest I would love to hear from another druid and tell me what they use it for, as a healer its not that great, Iceblock from a mage (maybe) lived with out it before can raid with out it now so its pointless.
    Ice block or deterence for pvp, lock portal and life grip if called for in pve or at worse pick a 3 min damage reducing CD like fortifying brew or icebound fortitude. If you're not using one of those for raiding you're doing it wrong.
  1. F-Minus's Avatar
    I'd say Dreamwalker falls into the category, mechanically impossible if your class doesn't have any healing spells.
  1. ScottsdaleHokie's Avatar
    It really boggles the mind how completely clueless GC is, and after reading that, it really is no wonder why the game is complete crap.

    There is no hope whatsoever as long as he is around, none.
  1. Rakoth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Sorry but GS says you as a player have no reason to complain about the LFR system and since blizzard seems to think they know what "fun" is and how you as an individual player will have "fun" he must be right.

    You're going to have to stop now.
    /sarcasm

    Blizzard is so full of it these days.
    The loot system is a LOT better then it was. The number of times I saw someone with the normal or heroic version of the item win the roll and then say that this was for his friend in the raid was completely stupid. The amount of times I was begged for an item because the other person had run it a million times and not won the roll, to the point I had to use the ignore function, was ridiculous.

    The system is now fair, balanced and can't be "Gamed".

    While the multiple version of the same item is annoying, it can also be used to maximize your reforges depending on your spec. I have two of the same bracers, one for combat, the other for assassination, both with a different reforge.

    Your chances of getting an item are mathematically the same as before, the only difference is that it doesn't matter if my token is over or under represented in the group, my chances at loot don't change weekly. I no longer cringe when I see a dozen death knights in my LFR, because I am rolling against the system.
  1. naturetauren's Avatar
    PvP will never be perfectly balanced, but it can be balanced enough to be fun and fair. The balance in Mists of Pandaria still has some tweaking to do before it is at that point.

    Havent you said the same crap about every expansion?
  1. Lord Swizzlington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chocobo606 View Post
    that's like saying this tier with 3 silences has a use in a raid environment when it doesnt
    I can't name a raid tier that didn't have the need for interrupts, so yes, they are useful.
  1. Yriel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    Atleast before you had a great chance of the item dropping, and then you could stack friends to need it for you or you could BEGGGG whoever won it to give it to you.
    And you don´t see a problem with that ?
    While i´m not that much of a fan of the new loot system having some friends roll on everything and then distributing it among themselves is what was wrong with the old system.
    Having friends with you should not give you a better chance of loot, if you want to raid with your friends and get all drops then raids normals, not LFR.
  1. aastarius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    [snip]
    I don't understand his statement about the LFR loot system working well...
    Sure we're not whining at each other any more, but that's because players have no way of controlling the loot destribution, not because we agree with the system. Doing looking for raid should have a reasonable chance of giving you whatever item it is that you want. This chance seems ->0 to me, which is simply wrong. Atleast before you had a great chance of the item dropping, and then you could stack friends to need it for you or you could BEGGGG whoever won it to give it to you. Now it's just "meh I didn't get it this week or the previous 10, I'll keep trying, whatever... I know I'll probably never get it while I need it, but I'll keep trying in spite of the chance of me getting it being 1 in 750000
    [/snip]
    .
    .. and right there are some of the reasons the change was absolutely necessary.

    People are bitching about it now simply because it's no longer possible to "game the system".
  1. Quilzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    And then you could stack friends to need it for you or you could BEGGGG whoever won it to give it to you. Now it's just "meh I didn't get it this week or the previous 10, I'll keep trying, whatever... I know I'll probably never get it while I need it, but I'll keep trying in spite of the chance of me getting it being 1 in 750000.
    Yeah sure the chance of you getting loot is really 1 in 75,000

    And all the reasons you state you liked about the old system is EXACTLY 100% without doubt why it has been changed.

    You reap what you sow I am afraid.
  1. crsh1976's Avatar
    "Blizzard may have overdone the daily quests a little bit in pursuit of the goal of always having something for players to do when they log in."

    No shit. For a brand spanking new expansion no less; dailies are not content, they're a mean to an end (to acquire items or money or whatever else) that die off once the grind is over.
  1. Darksoldierr's Avatar
    Mists of Pandaria daily quests have shown that competing with other players for mob tagging and such is not fun. You should be excited when there are other players around, not grumpy! Blizzard is still actively looking for a solution to make it a nice thing to have other people around.
    Holy shit Ghostcrawler, you must be a genius !

Site Navigation