MMO-Champion - WoW Down to 9.6 Million Subscribers
Important - Some people got automatically redirected to Facebook from MMO-Champion for a couple of minutes. Nothing compromised or anything like that, this is happening all over the web.

WoW Down to 9.6 Million Subscribers
Activision Blizzard's press release states that World of Warcraft is down to 9.6 million subscribers as of December 31, 2012. This is lower than the amount of subscribers from the "over 10 million" announced for Q3 2012. A few other interesting points:

  • Mists of Pandaria was the #3 best-selling PC game at retail.
  • Diablo III was the #1 best-selling PC game at retail, breaking PC-game sales records with more than 12 million copies sold worldwide through December 31, 2012.
This article was originally published in forum thread: WoW Down to 9.6 Million Subscribers started by chaud View original post
Comments 963 Comments
  1. stouthaggis's Avatar
    DAoC has been chundering along with an active playerbase of less than 5k for a few years now, and you don't get their players dwelling on the game's demise. They just continue to play because their gaming experience has not changed one iota. They level up new toons, they spend time and effort kitting them out and then they hit the frontiers to PVP. The only complaints I have ever seen have been centered around unfair advantages (3v1 stealther ganking or zerging).

    WoW, on the other hand, is plagued with butthurt ex-subscribers who are so utterly anxious for Blizzard's world to burn that it has driven them nuts! Drop it and move on!

    Personally, the subscriber drop-off means absolutely nothing to me. As long as there is content to be had, I couldn't give a shekl less if there were 9.6 million or 960 people playing.
  1. Pacster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stouthaggis View Post
    DAoC has been chundering along with an active playerbase of less than 5k for a few years now, and you don't get their players dwelling on the game's demise. They just continue to play because their gaming experience has not changed one iota. They level up new toons, they spend time and effort kitting them out and then they hit the frontiers to PVP. The only complaints I have ever seen have been centered around unfair advantages (3v1 stealther ganking or zerging).

    WoW, on the other hand, is plagued with butthurt ex-subscribers who are so utterly anxious for Blizzard's world to burn that it has driven them nuts! Drop it and move on!

    Personally, the subscriber drop-off means absolutely nothing to me. As long as there is content to be had, I couldn't give a shekl less if there were 9.6 million or 960 people playing.
    What do you want to tell us? I mean, seriously...the last few thousand players usually only play a game to be able to say "we are the last few, we stand strong"....most of them would likely go to Guantanamo Bay for holidays given how resistant to toture they are already. ;-)
    You find those in Ultima online and even in the worst brainmelting asia-grinders....
    I heard some nerds still play "pong" for highscores....;-)
  1. stouthaggis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacster View Post
    What do you want to tell us? I mean, seriously...the last few thousand players usually only play a game to be able to say "we are the last few, we stand strong"....most of them would likely go to Guantanamo Bay for holidays given how resistant to toture they are already. ;-)
    You find those in Ultima online and even in the worst brainmeltiing asia-grinder....
    I think you're losing sight of the fact that they are video games and are a form of entertainment.

    If you don't like doing something, you stop doing it!
  1. Itisamuh's Avatar
    It's still doing well, nothing to see here. Though, I still wish they'd merge dead servers like mine.
  1. Madruga's Avatar
    http://www.thedailyblink.com/2013/02...-in-one-panel/

    'Nuff said.
  1. Chrispotter's Avatar
    LFR, Everything in the game revolving around dailies, and poor pvp balance I feel really is the cause of subscriber loss. I will keep playing and somewhat enjoying the game. But anyone who says that wow is "fine" is delusional. Its dieing a slow slow death unless something changes. The problem is that for a few hours a week the game is a challenge ( Heroic raiding) then for the other hours its just Boring and Easy grinding, in preperation for the challenging fun content. Not to mention that LFR is waaay too easy. I mean someone who dosnt have time for raiding, but plays LFR, the game must be boring as hell for them? Just because people cant play often, dosnt mean they want to be able to afk their way through the content.
  1. BIOWarfare's Avatar
    Daily's = Absolutely awful way too many, its like they thought the more they put in the more people would go wow its awesome you guys are great.

    LFR = Please god no. Stupidly high health on the lol fest. Barely any chance of wiping, its bored.com by the time your quarter of the way though their health, not to mention the totally stupid loot system that gives the same crap over and over again. Why not allow people to pass if they wish if they already have it to a random member of their class. And please introduce me to the person who came up with 28g 50s.......

    Realms = Moonglade for example is dying along with other realms what is the big deal in merging and shutting a few down. Lets not mention the stupid £15 charge to move one char I have 13 alts on my server why not do £15 per account at least its something. Oh and here's a finger Blizzard for giving Asia free transfers and free factions changes appreciate you value that customer base more.

    Valor Points = Insanely long time to cap which you will never do if you have a life and can't stand one more LFR.

    Dungeons = Not bad overall except for the Stormstout Brewery. What a stupid immature dungeon that is. It breaks the feel of the game to some childish rabbits and giant vegetables. The Bosses are just like they are appealing to a 5yr old child and I am not even going to start on the copyright of Kung Fu Panda along with stupid cutesy panda faces. What is the obsession with alcohol in this expansion?

    Valley of the Four Winds = Reeks of a game I would let my 6yr old play. Admit you went too far in trying to please and break into the Asian market that you set the game rating back to under 10`s.

    Talents = Good going on completely making it something a 2yr old could do and again dumbing it down.

    25m Raids = Why bother having a 25m version? 95% of 25m guilds are dead you killed them all ages ago, Kung Fu Panda I mean MOP just stamped on the grave some more.

    Pet Battles = Was pleasantly surprised, good job.

    Ghost form = Ugh admit you screwed up and give us back flying in ghost form or at least FIX THE DAMN THING SO WE CAN ACTUALLY REACH OUR CORPSES!

    Mass Summon = Come on seriously its time to give it back.

    Intro = Worst ever, that's the best you could do? Some panda chewing on a blade of grass like a cow?

    Cross Realm Zones = If I start on this I would never stop....

    Its not all bad, overall it is a decent expansion but Blizzard will never fix these things and it will continue to slide right now biggest irritation is the dead realms and lack of action.
  1. adrii021's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zuluslayer View Post
    I'am still subscribing but i never play anymore. Guess the actual number of players is much lower. Seems the casual bendover killed the spirit of the game for good.
    Are you stupid or something? if you aint playing the game why the hell would you sub. Do you burn money irl aswell?

    Jesus christ AND you make it sound like its blizzards fault....wow you bottomfeeder go on with your life.
    And what do you mean casuals? Have you done Heroic Sha of Fear yet? If you havent then you have ALOT of noncasual things to do.
  1. Pacster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stouthaggis View Post
    I think you're losing sight of the fact that they are video games and are a form of entertainment.

    If you don't like doing something, you stop doing it!

    Ehm....öhm....nope. You stop doing it if it hurts your ego more than it buffs it. As long as you are on top of the food chain you will likely "enjoy" even the worst game of the planet...that's psychology. There are many, many, many people out there that still play WoW although they are not enjoying it more than 10% of their actual playtime(and those 10% are often chats with guildmates...so not even really part of the actual game).
    If we'd all only do what we like in WoW...hey...then the sentence of "Wow is dead" would truely fit. Just ask yourself how much fun you actually have running the same daily for the 10ths time...or lfr...or playing with 30 bots in AV. On a scale from 1-10 how much would you love doing all that if you had a level 1 nobody char and could just leave without of having to look bakc on the char you gave up?
    Don't fool yourself....

    It's the same crap that makes us collect such interesting stuff like...uhm..stamps(or 150000 other crazy things that are just collecting dust in some corner)...that we then hide in books and take a look at all 5 years just to see what a nice "achievement" we have there(and at times we find another dude that is trying to satisfy his ego in the same way and then we can compare and compete...yay....(or boooh....if we lose that competition that is. Got to try harder then...or find a different thing.)). ;-)
  1. adrii021's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    LOL @ you thinking justin bieber is a good artist. that is hilarious. way to loose any credibility on this site.
    way for YOU to loose credibility, how old is bieber? How hard does he work every single day to please his audience? Let me guess you sit at home behind your screen and you are more successful then him? Jesus christ he is talented, get over your jeoulsy and move on.

    And no i dont listen to bieber but at least i dont cast my unbelievibly idiotic hatred just cause i dont like something.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 02:44 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Zergal View Post
    On what planet do you live, its been 4 months, wich is completly acceptable between 2 raiding content patches.
    One could use the same logic saying the death metal you listen to is good music. See what i did there?

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 02:47 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Zergal View Post
    If you can only judge the worth of something based on numbers, i really wouldn't want to be in your shoes. What offers the better food for example, a 5 Star gastronomic restaurant or Mcdonalds? Obviously the gastronomic restaurant, but meanwhile everyone flocks at Mcdonalds to eat that garbage.

    Same logic can apply to WoW, Vanilla and BC were meant for the real MMO fans, then WolTK came to cater to the "MMO-Fastfood" crowd. Yes it meant more subs, but much less quality.

    Edit : looking at your armory, i guess you actually fit in the "fast food gaming" crowd so i guess that explains a lot.
    Man you are really dumb, how you compare a 5-star restaurant where it costs a couple 100 dollars to eat to 2 buck mcdonald is beyond me.

    You just won the stupid prize sir!

    Infracted
  1. stouthaggis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacster View Post
    Ehm....öhm....nope. You stop doing it if it hurts your ego more than it buffs it. As long as you are on top of the food chain you will likely "enjoy" even the worst game of the planet...that's psychology. There are many, many, many people out there that still play WoW although they are not enjoying it more than 10% of their actual playtime(and those 10% are often chats with guildmates...so not even really part of the actual game).
    If we'd all only do what we like in WoW...hey...then the sentence of "Wow is dead" would truely fit. Just ask yourself how much fun you actually have running the same daily for the 10ths time...or lfr...or playing with 30 bots in AV. On a scale from 1-10 how much would you love doing all that if you had a level 1 nobody char and could just leave without of having to look bakc on the char you gave up?
    Don't fool yourself....

    It's the same crap that makes us collect such interesting stuff like...uhm..stamps(or 150000 other crazy things that are just collecting dust in some corner)...that we then hide in books and take a look at all 5 years just to see what a nice "achievement" we have there(and at times we find another dude that is trying to satisfy his ego in the same way and then we can compare and compete...yay....(or boooh....if we lose that competition that is. Got to try harder then...or find a different thing.)). ;-)
    I read your reply about 30 times and I still haven't a fucking clue what you are on about. I will put it down to your point being lost in translation and will leave it at that.
  1. adrii021's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakesong View Post
    500 is a huge amount of players, considering it's only after 2 months of the release of the expansion.
    Whatever you are smoking hit me with some....2 months from september 25 is what? februari ? rightttt........
  1. mercutiouk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Korthas View Post
    I don't think there is any doubt that WoW's popularity is waning. But the fact of the matter is that it is still the 900lb gorilla and at the current rate of decline it still will be for another year maybe two.

    Unless something big comes along to really siphon off users that is.
    About the most balanced comment.

    Wow's still the main player. You can stack numbers to work however you want. 500k is a huge dip in numbers (500,000). It's a decentish number in percentage (5%) it's still fairly small to whats left (9,600,000). You'll get morons on both sides of the fence trying to make it fit their argument but the balanced one is: "WoW is declining, very slowly. It's still got more legs left in it than everything that's come since and is still the biggest and most popular MMO on the market. It will continue to decline but it's a long way from dead and it would still be the biggest mmo if it dropped 50% in the next quarter."

    There's (again) mmo's on the horizon that might do it damage, it's likely that each one coming will swipe their small chunk of it's user base away to their game (elder scrolls, I'm looking at you). There's also, equal chance that while Blizz have it easy money is being saved that can be thrown at getting market share back once they have competition... who knows? I don't and tbh WoW IS getting to feel pretty old. It still has it's moments and I still don't begrudge my subs to keep playing.

    The bitter responses on either side are pretty damn petty. It's a fucking game, not something worth getting worked up about. When one is arguing so strongly over their favourite form of gaming entertainment it does say rather a lot about what else they have to worry about in life. It's like moronic football fans "it's not life and death, it's far more important" - it's a fucking team of (mostly) poorly educated, (mostly) self obsessed, overpaid morons kicking a ball around, hardly worth the vast attention it receives. I'd consider the level of obsession amongst some fans of each (football teams or favourite MMO) to be equally stupid.
  1. adrii021's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anti-wow View Post
    Like someone said: "WoW is still a good game, but lost its soul."

    During TBC for example, if your gear sucked you had to be a good player to get in a good group to finally get your hands in shiny purples.
    Now with Blizzard policy when everyone must access the new content it's like I do my aoe raids on LFR's and I'm not willing to do a proper raid.
    Yeap you are right inspecting someone looking for a color or ilvl/elite version etc is totally different........-.....-.-.-.-.
  1. Madruga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BIOWarfare View Post
    Daily's = Absolutely awful way too many, its like they thought the more they put in the more people would go wow its awesome you guys are great.

    LFR = Please god no. Stupidly high health on the lol fest. Barely any chance of wiping, its bored.com by the time your quarter of the way though their health, not to mention the totally stupid loot system that gives the same crap over and over again. Why not allow people to pass if they wish if they already have it to a random member of their class. And please introduce me to the person who came up with 28g 50s.......

    Realms = Moonglade for example is dying along with other realms what is the big deal in merging and shutting a few down. Lets not mention the stupid £15 charge to move one char I have 13 alts on my server why not do £15 per account at least its something. Oh and here's a finger Blizzard for giving Asia free transfers and free factions changes appreciate you value that customer base more.

    Valor Points = Insanely long time to cap which you will never do if you have a life and can't stand one more LFR.

    Dungeons = Not bad overall except for the Stormstout Brewery. What a stupid immature dungeon that is. It breaks the feel of the game to some childish rabbits and giant vegetables. The Bosses are just like they are appealing to a 5yr old child and I am not even going to start on the copyright of Kung Fu Panda along with stupid cutesy panda faces. What is the obsession with alcohol in this expansion?

    Valley of the Four Winds = Reeks of a game I would let my 6yr old play. Admit you went too far in trying to please and break into the Asian market that you set the game rating back to under 10`s.

    Talents = Good going on completely making it something a 2yr old could do and again dumbing it down.

    25m Raids = Why bother having a 25m version? 95% of 25m guilds are dead you killed them all ages ago, Kung Fu Panda I mean MOP just stamped on the grave some more.

    Pet Battles = Was pleasantly surprised, good job.

    Ghost form = Ugh admit you screwed up and give us back flying in ghost form or at least FIX THE DAMN THING SO WE CAN ACTUALLY REACH OUR CORPSES!

    Mass Summon = Come on seriously its time to give it back.

    Intro = Worst ever, that's the best you could do? Some panda chewing on a blade of grass like a cow?

    Cross Realm Zones = If I start on this I would never stop....

    Its not all bad, overall it is a decent expansion but Blizzard will never fix these things and it will continue to slide right now biggest irritation is the dead realms and lack of action.
    You really went as far as creating an account to bash the game? Guess you work for the competition?
  1. Curanhadin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Courierrawr View Post
    So what? A decline is a decline, WoW's "golden age" is long over, the game is going to keep losing players, will you still be using that defense when it's down to 3 million players?
    I wouldnt really call that a defense, they stated the truth. I dont see the 500k being a big deal. The games close to 10 years old, Im sure its peaked never to reach Wrath like numbers again. Even at 3million it would still be hugely succesful and profitable, so it may be on the downhill side but its a very long hill.
  1. jazen's Avatar
    wow has been dying since vanilla....one of these days, the naysayers will be correct, and wow will die. Maybe next expansion. Anyone know how those 2 most recent 'wow killers' GW-2 and Star Wars are doing?
  1. Pacster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stouthaggis View Post
    I read your reply about 30 times and I still haven't a fucking clue what you are on about. I will put it down to your point being lost in translation and will leave it at that.
    That's okay. I'm german and I studied that kind of stuff. So that's already 2 possible reasons why you may not understand it. ;-)
  1. Kelimbror's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Madruga View Post
    Oh god, so true. Thanks for posting that.
  1. Parrin's Avatar
    We'll probably see some changes due to the sub numbers for two reasons. One, Mike mentioned that most of the subs lost were from China, and Pandalia was intended to interest and attract them. Two, Oct-Dec is usually the peak quarter due to the holidays, while Apr-Jun is the low point because of summer vacation. It will decline a little more at that point.

    But Blizzard is one of the worst at over-reacting to shifts in the player base, and one of the best at small corrections to appease customers. They'll make some changes, fix a few of the most offensive parts, and the bleeding will slow for a while. They might even gain some subs next fall.

Site Navigation