MMO-Champion - WoW Down to 9.6 Million Subscribers
Important - Some people got automatically redirected to Facebook from MMO-Champion for a couple of minutes. Nothing compromised or anything like that, this is happening all over the web.

WoW Down to 9.6 Million Subscribers
Activision Blizzard's press release states that World of Warcraft is down to 9.6 million subscribers as of December 31, 2012. This is lower than the amount of subscribers from the "over 10 million" announced for Q3 2012. A few other interesting points:

  • Mists of Pandaria was the #3 best-selling PC game at retail.
  • Diablo III was the #1 best-selling PC game at retail, breaking PC-game sales records with more than 12 million copies sold worldwide through December 31, 2012.
This article was originally published in forum thread: WoW Down to 9.6 Million Subscribers started by chaud View original post
Comments 963 Comments
  1. rhorle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Casuals in casual raid guilds were fine with the tuning of Wrath. LFR exists not because they wanted it instead, but because Blizzard wanted to have three difficulty levels so they could cater to a razor thin slice of top players. In the process, casual raid guilds are now required to either field 25 raiders or queue with strangers.
    What is stopping casuals from doing normal mode? Nothing. They can even extend the lock outs and complete a few bosses each week. The idea that LFR is the only mode casual players can do is silly. Just because a player is casual doesn't mean they are bad and can't do normal modes.
  1. Osmeric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    What is stopping casuals from doing normal mode? Nothing.
    A disingenuous and frankly stupid argument. What is stopping them is that normal modes are tuned beyond the level of their competence and/or interest.

    But you knew that.
  1. ashybawls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Assumi View Post
    God you fanboys never quit.

    so true lol.
  1. rhorle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    A disingenuous and frankly stupid argument. What is stopping them is that normal modes are tuned beyond the level of their competence and/or interest.But you knew that.
    Why are you assuming that all casuals are bad players?
  1. Osmeric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Why are you assuming that all casuals are bad players?
    It should have been clear what I meant by the word "casual" from the context. Do go back and read for comprehension. Casual does not mean only has a very limited time to play. That meaning has always been at best a smokescreen.
  1. aggression's Avatar
    Even if WoW drops to 2M players, it will still be one of the bigger MMO-games out there. And some just will never stop playing it. Just check at D2.
  1. rhorle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    It should have been clear what I meant by the word "casual" from the context. Do go back and read for comprehension. Casual does not mean only has a very limited time to play. That meaning has always been at best a smokescreen.
    Casual also doesn't mean only a bad player, so why use it in that context? It isn't a smokescreen at best. You can be a hardcore player and still be terrible at the game.
  1. Osmeric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Casual also doesn't mean only a bad player, so why use it in that context? It isn't a smokescreen at best. You can be a hardcore player and still be terrible at the game.
    It very often does mean a player of lesser skill, or a player who isn't as driven to improve, or a player who has a low tolerance for frustration, or a player who doesn't want to abandon friends in the name of progression.

    But anyway: my argument was that there was this large group, fitting into various categories like this, that were basically flipped the bird by the Blizzard this expansion. The game didn't become "more casual" for them; it became less friendly.
  1. Akka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Casuals in casual raid guilds were fine with the tuning of Wrath. LFR exists not because they wanted it instead, but because Blizzard wanted to have three difficulty levels so they could cater to a razor thin slice of top players. In the process, casual raid guilds are now required to either field 25 raiders or queue with strangers.
    Let me quote the part of my post you "forgot" to read :

    "complex" doesn't mean "more difficult". The 5-man "heroics" in WotLK had much more complex mechanisms than Vanilla instances, and were still much easier.

    Anyway, the ENTIRE content has been dumbed down to oblivion precisely to cater for whining casuals, so the complain "the game isn't accessible for casuals" is the pinnacle of retardation. The only part that is maybe not accessible for all casuals is the last tier heroic raid, which is available in normal mode and LFR anyway.
    How can it be even POSSIBLE to make the game "more accessible" ?
  1. john duo's Avatar
    LFM was invented to break the one mighty rule that in order to raid you needed to be in a raiding guild.
    that rule changed the 7 years long concept of a guild to a sweatshop at the end of WRATH and during CATA with the main beneficials are the obvious GM and his close officers , guilds became so corrupted that a 7 years old raider after all these years might not have the will to start all over again in a new guild and might as well end up alone, drift away untill he quits the game..
    so thats where the LFM becomes so handy, raid at your own paste and time without agreeing and obeying to a set of one sided rules made up by the same player as you just sitting 2000 KM from you and pays for his play time same as you.

    i praise the LFM tool...
  1. dacoolist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aggression View Post
    Even if WoW drops to 2M players, it will still be one of the bigger MMO-games out there. And some just will never stop playing it. Just check at D2.
    And the fact that 95% of the actual playerbase Care about overall sub numbers amuses the HELL out of me too.
  1. Osmeric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Let me quote the part of my post you "forgot" to read :

    "complex" doesn't mean "more difficult". The 5-man "heroics" in WotLK had much more complex mechanisms than Vanilla instances, and were still much easier.
    I didn't quote it because I was ignoring it. I was ignoring it because it was irrelevant. The raid encounters in MoP are more complex and difficult than the lesser raiding guilds I was talking about can handle.

    Anyway, the ENTIRE content has been dumbed down to oblivion precisely to cater for whining casuals, so the complain "the game isn't accessible for casuals" is the pinnacle of retardation. The only part that is maybe not accessible for all casuals is the last tier heroic raid, which is available in normal mode and LFR anyway.
    How can it be even POSSIBLE to make the game "more accessible" ?[/i]
    Organized raids (normal and heroic) have not been dumbed down; they've been made harder (than Wrath), a fact not changed by your baldfaced lying. As I said, these raid guilds have been pushed out of them, into LFR, and if they don't have 25 raiders then Blizzard has removed organized raiding from the game for this large slice of what was the raiding population. All of this, apparently, so they can deliver content for the much smaller slice of high end raiders.
  1. Akka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I didn't quote it because I was ignoring it. I was ignoring it because it was irrelevant. The raid encounters in MoP are more complex and difficult than the lesser raiding guilds I was talking about can handle.
    If they are bad enough that even the last tier normal mode is too hard for them, maybe they should do the normal raid mode of the previous tier.
    Baddies already cried to have everything dumbed down to their level (and robs everyone else of 99 % of the whole content), but they still cry and whine and throw tantrum about the 1 % left, and manage to complain that because a tiny sliver of content is not handed to them on a platter, then the entire game "cater to hardcore" ?
    Still retardedly false, egotistical and childish.
  1. Osmeric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    If they are bad enough that even the last tier normal mode is too hard for them, maybe they should do the normal raid mode of the previous tier.
    This may have been the devs intention, as it likely was in T11/T12 (which didn't work), but that doesn't mean much. I doubt much T14 normal raiding will be done, since the intended audience will already be sick of T14 having run it so much in LFR.

    Baddies already cried to have everything dumbed down to their level (and robs everyone else of 99 % of the whole content), but they still cry and whine and throw tantrum about the 1 % left, and manage to complain that because a tiny sliver of content is not handed to them on a platter, then the entire game "cater to hardcore" ?
    Still retardedly false, egotistical and childish.
    You have not yet internalized just how small a minority the hardcores are, or how little they actually matter. The game design still bends over backwards to cater to them, to the detriment of the game experience of most players, and to the detriment of Activision-Blizzard's shareholders.
  1. Akka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    You have not yet internalized just how small a minority the hardcores are, or how little they actually matter. The game design still bends over backwards to cater to them, to the detriment of the game experience of most players, and to the detriment of Activision-Blizzard's shareholders.
    Let's say it one final time for people so dumb that such obviousness isn't already blasting their brains : there is only a tiny, minuscule amount of content that isn't tailored for drooling mouthbreather. 99 % of the game is handed to them. And even the 1 % left is still accessible through LFR and normal mode.
    Let's just laugh a bit at someone who says "there is only 99 % of the game made for me, the designers obviously cater for the others who barely have 1 % of the content (that is still accessible to me anyway)".
    Yeah, that sounds retarded. It's because it is.
  1. Lumineus's Avatar
    I don't think you'll gain much credibility in your argument by saying endgame is only 1% of the content. For most, it's like, 95%. I also would not claim that normal mode is "accessible" for the majority, based on the number of sub-10% wipes I have witnessed on your so-called casual-mode version of Garalon, who is not even a final boss. I have not seen a raiding tier tuned so badly since Temple of Ahn'Qiraj.
  1. wholockian's Avatar
    people are really still posting about this?
  1. Marooned's Avatar
    Well its a really complicated issue even Blizzard, a multi-billion dollar company is confused, sometimes they think like Osmeric making things easier, sometimes they see if things are so accessible people are getting bored, its so complicated that even they cannot find the best difficulty spot for normal raids. But I "personally" think they did good job in MoP compared to all expansions.
  1. mikencarly's Avatar
    meh still doing good imo
  1. rhorle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    I don't think you'll gain much credibility in your argument by saying endgame is only 1% of the content. For most, it's like, 95%. I also would not claim that normal mode is "accessible" for the majority, based on the number of sub-10% wipes I have witnessed on your so-called casual-mode version of Garalon, who is not even a final boss. I have not seen a raiding tier tuned so badly since Temple of Ahn'Qiraj.
    Then you clearly didn't do SSC where it was literally impossible to beat until Blizzard nerfed the encounter. The last 10% of Normal Garalon is the same as the first 90%. There isn't any tuning difference so it doesn't matter where they wipe. Just because a boss doesn't die because you show up doesn't mean it is poorly tuned. Nor does it mean that a mid instance boss can't be hard.

    Garalon is a DPS check fight. They've been used before and weren't an issue. If you can't do garalon you'd have a hard time doing the others as well because they require just as much DPS but have a little more for your raid to do. Besides if you can't do it now just wait until the new tier is out. In MoP old content isn't irrelevant the moment something new comes out.

    Raiding while the major focus of the game is still a small portion of the actual content in the game. An even smaller portion does Heroic raids.

Site Navigation