MMO-Champion - Transmogrify From Bank and VS, VoidTransmog Addon, Blue Tweets, Setup of the Month
Whimsyshire Also to Benefit From Density Changes, Idea For the Treasure Goblin Alert, Community Commentary: Public Enemy #1, Tokio's Tri-Gen Palm Monk

Patch 5.3 - Transmogrify From Bank and Void Storage
Patch 5.3 adds the ability to transmogrify to items that are located in your bank or Void Storage without having them in your bags! The last update we got on Void Storage space was a no to more slots.



Addon - VoidTransmog
The ability to transmogrify from your Void Storage is already live, but not built in to the default UI. The VoidTransmog addon allows you to transmogrify to anything currently in your Void Storage.

You can open the Void Storage window when at a transmogrification NPC by pressing the Void button on the transmogrify window, then selecting an item from Void Storage and applying it to the correct slot. The items don't appear in the normal flyout selection menu, so you must select the item and then slot.



Blue Tweets
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Reputation / Questing
Any plans to allow players to complete dailies and other quests while in a raid group? Current design is annoying.
We would like too, yes. We just don't want to splash credit to the whole raid. (Source)
This isn't rocket science. Group credit applies only to group even while in raid. Problem solved! Why so hard to understand?
1) We'd like for groups in raids to go away. 2) Easy to understand and easy to implement are not the same. (Source)

So does this mean we can expect 2x10^10 dailies in every expansion from now on? and have those dailies gate everything?
Have you played 5.2? (Source)
But why is every major patch "New dailies hub and..." but no dungeons. Seems like lack of creativity.
Production-wise, dungeons don't compete with quests or scenarios. Dungeons compete with raids. (Source)

In vanilla, questing was what you did sub-level cap. Raiding level cap. Completely different now. Better? Unsure
In vanilla, you did questing. Then a tiny percentage of players also did raiding. Now most player raid (at least LFR). (Source)
Doesn't stop repetitive content from being repetitive.
I agree. All content gets repetitive. It's impossible to design content faster than players can consume it. Hence, repetition. (Source)

can we have some more uses for Lesser Charms? I think I have approximately a zillion of them.
The use is intended to be that you can take a vacation on dailies if you so choose. (Source)

Misc
Essentially, we want WoW to feel more like fine dining and less like fast food. Please don’t take this simple analogy to ridiculous lengths. (Source)
What about aiming to be a food truck? High end trucks can be a great mixture of convenience, taste, and atmosphere.
Love them, but they aren't that convenient. Here in OC the lines are always long. (Source)

But sometimes, you don't have time for fine dining. you want a quick bite so you can do more important stuff afterwards.
And you can play WoW in very small chunks. You just can't achieve every reward in small chunks. (Source)

the busy working person rarely has time for a fine dining meal though. Perhaps allow that person the ability to succeed
We try to solve that by letting you accomplish something even in very small chunks. You just can't accomplish everything then. (Source)

soooooo are we getting giant talent trees again since this new talent system is like fast food
I'd argue the opposite. The older trees had a lot of empty calories. The newer ones are like tapas - small with depth. (Source)

Fine dining is more about the experience. You spend a little time there. You soak it in. (Source)
In the case of alts though (re flightpaths) the same great meal gets boring and bland after having it over and over again.
I agree, but I'll refer to my comments last week: if your alt is so caught up that you don't need to play it, what's the point? (Source)

How about making wow more like an amusement park, where there's a little bit of everything & you CHOOSE what you want to do?
In WoW, players tend to just pick whatever has the shortest line, not what is the most fun (and then get grumpy about that fact). (Source)

Don't let people's hate over certain features bother you too much. No one is holding a gun to their head and making them play.
It doesn't bother us. We just like to understand the feedback and in turn try and explain a bit why things were designed. (Source)
We'll support playing the game almost any way you want. We won't guarantee that your preferred way is the most efficient way though. (Source)

Why are hotfixes often implemented before being announced seems like it would confuse players
Getting a hotfix applied takes a lot of people. Making an announcement takes a lot of different people (in different time zones). (Source)
Sometimes we'd rather get the fix out ASAP even if the message lags behind. Not ideal though. (Source)

wondering, what would you say are the top 2-3 changes to the SDLC that have led to increased patch delivery?
Better planning. More realistic schedules. More people (it's hard to hire enough good folks, but we're getting there.) (Source)

I think "overly literal" is the better way to describe "too rational", imo.
Perhaps. It's this strange perception that if we get caught in a gotcha that we'll be forced to make a change. (Source)

What mistakes? Mists has been a blast. My only complaint is I don't have time to do everything.
Here are a few at launch: G Lotus felt too mandatory. Progression / rewards at 90 were not clear. PvP balance needed much work. (Source)

Computers - Setup of the Month (by chaud)
Each month or every 2 months, depending on the hardware evolutions, the lovely chaud will work on a couple of hardware setups for those of you who are thinking of upgrading their computer!

This month
The current SSD prices seem to have bottomed out for now, with almost all SSDs under $1 per gigabyte when on sale. No new CPUs, GPUs, or SSDs worth waiting for are expected before late in the second quarter this year. RAM prices have been increasing for the past few months, so if you were thinking about adding RAM anytime soon, now is the time.

Unless you are doing a lot of video rendering or something that is similarly multithreaded, you do not need the 3770K and should spend that money elsewhere.

Make sure to keep your AMD and Nvidia drivers up to date.

Don't hesitate to post any feedback in the comments of that news post, and don't forget to visit the Computer Forum for any extra questions! If you are interested in Folding@home, take a look in our team's thread.


Peripherals/Monitors
ComponentPuppy Dolphin
MonitorAsus VS229H-P 21.5" LED IPS Monitor - $140ASUS VS248H-P 24-Inch Monitor - $180
KeyboardKensington Pro Fit Media Keyboard - $18Cyborg V.5 - $48
MouseLogitech G400 - $35Razer Deathadder - $47
SpeakersCreative A220 2.1 Speaker System - $30Logitech Z313 Speaker System - $42
ComponentNarwhal Unicorn
MonitorASUS VE278Q 27-Inch - $295HP ZR2440W 24-inch (IPS Panel) - $359
KeyboardLogitech G510 - $94Razer BlackWidow (Backlit)- $76 ($133)
MouseLogitech G500 - $49Razer Naga (Buttons on the Side) - $71
SpeakersLogitech Z323 2.1 Speaker System - $60Logitech Speaker System Z523 - $75


Puppy and Dolphin
Mix and match anything but the CPU/Motherboard combo between Puppy and Dolphin. Pick one of the two CPU/Motherboard combos.
ComponentPuppy Dolphin
CaseNZXT GAMMA Classic - $37NZXT GAMMA Classic - $37
Power SupplyCorsair CX500 - $58XFX Core Edition PRO 550W - $58
CPUAMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition- $85AMD FX-6300 - $133
HeatsinkCooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - $28Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $33
MotherboardASUS M5A97 R2 AM3+ 970 - $95ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ 990FX - $135
MemoryKingston HyperX Blu 4GB 1333 - $318GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 - $67
Graphics CardASUS 7770 - $109Gigabyte 7850 2 GB or Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 2GB - $211 / $190
Hard DriveWestern Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - $60Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB - $90
DVDAsus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $23Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $23
Total$526$766 - 787


Narwhal and Unicorn
All of these parts can be mixed and matched to create a build between Narwhal and Unicorn. SSDs are always optional.
ComponentNarwhal Unicorn
CaseCooler Master HAF 912 - $50Cooler Master HAF X - $170
Power SupplyCorsair 650TX V2 - $87Corsair 750HX - $130
CPUIntel i5-3570K - $210Intel i7-3770K - $310
HeatsinkThermaltake Frio - $58Noctua 6 NH-D14 - $81
MotherboardASUS P8Z77-V LK - $124ASUS P8Z77-V - $176
Memory8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 - $6716GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 - $129
Graphics Card7950 OR GIGABYTE GTX 660 Ti - $330 / $280Gigabyte 7970 OR GIGABYTE GTX 670 - $400 / $380
Hard DriveWestern Digital 1TB Caviar Black - $90Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black - $90
SSDSAMSUNG 840 128GB (Review) - $100
OR
Plextor 128 GB M5 Pro (Review) - $133
Intel 330 180GB (Review) - $125
OR
SAMSUNG 840 Pro 128GB (Review) - $139
DVDAsus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $23Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $23
Total$989 - $1172$1614 - $1648



Megaera Kill Video
Yet another nice intro from Fifth Element!

This article was originally published in forum thread: Transmogrify From Bank and VS, VoidTransmog Addon, Blue Tweets, Setup of the Month started by chaud View original post
Comments 48 Comments
  1. Imhullu's Avatar
    The tweet about void storage bothers me. We we're told before it was because of storage and data issues, now we are being told it was because they don't want us hoarding. These are two very separate things and I think they should just give us a straight answer. I get they don't want us to hold onto everything, but realistically void storage came off to me as a temporary fix to an issue they should resolve in a different way. If we have transmog I don't see why they can't make an interface that lets us learn skins akin to DCUO. The way we have an actual storage doesn't make sense to me when we don't have to actually use the items like you would in RIFT for example.
    In rift you equip them into vanity slots. In wow we are already just changing skins when we transmog, why not just make a skin storage book and let us hold on to whatever one we want. Easier to call to a list of skins than it is to actual create storage areas to hold items that you can place and retrieve.
  1. Ragedaug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ares1023 View Post
    Q: "can we have some more uses for Lesser Charms? I think I have approximately a zillion of them."
    A: "The use is intended to be that you can take a vacation on dailies if you so choose.

    Hate to be so critical, but the fact that he says take a vacation from doing dailies seems to imply that dailies are in fact a chore/job, otherwise we wouldn't need/want to take a vacation in the first place. Sorry I'm just very pessimistic when it comes to the dailies.....I rode the Daily Train for a while until I just got fed up with doing them. Last time I ever looked forward to dailies and really had a lot of fun was back in BC with the Isle of Quel'Danas...
    Hit the nail on the head. Good catch. I've never once wanted to take a break from Raiding (though to be honest, I've met people who did), and daily dungeons aren't a big deal, and I can do random BG all day (if I'm not on a losing streak). But there's only so much repetitive daily questing I can take.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-07 at 11:46 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Hit the nail on the head. Good catch. I've never once wanted to take a break from Raiding (though to be honest, I've met people who did), and daily dungeons aren't a big deal, and I can do random BG all day (if I'm not on a losing streak). But there's only so much repetitive daily questing I can take.
    Vanity slots would have been the way to go (IMO).
  1. YuneKirby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Imhullu View Post
    The tweet about void storage bothers me. We we're told before it was because of storage and data issues, now we are being told it was because they don't want us hoarding. These are two very separate things and I think they should just give us a straight answer. I get they don't want us to hold onto everything, but realistically void storage came off to me as a temporary fix to an issue they should resolve in a different way. If we have transmog I don't see why they can't make an interface that lets us learn skins akin to DCUO. The way we have an actual storage doesn't make sense to me when we don't have to actually use the items like you would in RIFT for example.
    In rift you equip them into vanity slots. In wow we are already just changing skins when we transmog, why not just make a skin storage book and let us hold on to whatever one we want. Easier to call to a list of skins than it is to actual create storage areas to hold items that you can place and retrieve.
    I would love a storage book option, but in Blizzard's defense you're thinking about "space" in a physical way. With void storage they only need to track 80 item ID's. With a storage book, they would need to track every single armor in the game, along with a toggle value of whether the player is eligible to transmog that item. In terms of data storage, tracking all the items a person has access to would be much larger.
  1. snuzzle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthoof View Post
    About freaking Time! Finally I will actually use my Void Storage!
    Yup! It's still stupidly expensive, but at least now I won't have to worry about constantly taking things in and out.
  1. Arrowstormen's Avatar
    Reminds me of the Guild Wars 2 system that allows you to use stuff in your collectible bank and access your bank from crafting places.
  1. markdall's Avatar
    Wow so transmog is finally going to work from void storage. We all though it would work that way from the beginning. That's pretty cool. Now if they'll just triple the size of void storage, I'll be able to clear my bank and actually use it as a bank instead of holding onto cool looking armor pieces.
  1. Darmalus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Imhullu View Post
    The tweet about void storage bothers me. We we're told before it was because of storage and data issues, now we are being told it was because they don't want us hoarding. These are two very separate things and I think they should just give us a straight answer.
    Sorry, but you're wrong. Those are the same issue. They don't want us hoarding because every item we hoard is more data to store. Void storage is interesting because it strips all the "extra" stuff like gems and enchants off things, storing stuff only as it's basic item ID, making the storage more compact in terms of data efficiency. And in the end, that's all you need for transmog stuff, basic item ID so you can change the appearance of something.
  1. Mormolyce's Avatar
    A very welcome QoL change.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthoof View Post
    About freaking Time! Finally I will actually use my Void Storage!
    You can use it from your bank as well, so no need. It's there purely for more space.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhozul View Post
    Now we just need more space in the Void Storage! I filled mine up on Day One.
    IKR?

    Blizzard keeps saying no more VS. Well at the very least they should make all vanity items BoA so I can at least mule some of my stuff.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 01:45 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by ares1023 View Post
    Q: "can we have some more uses for Lesser Charms? I think I have approximately a zillion of them."
    A: "The use is intended to be that you can take a vacation on dailies if you so choose.

    Hate to be so critical, but the fact that he says take a vacation from doing dailies seems to imply that dailies are in fact a chore/job, otherwise we wouldn't need/want to take a vacation in the first place. Sorry I'm just very pessimistic when it comes to the dailies.....I rode the Daily Train for a while until I just got fed up with doing them. Last time I ever looked forward to dailies and really had a lot of fun was back in BC with the Isle of Quel'Danas...
    Can't win, can they? They say they're not a chore, people complain. They acknowledge that they can be a chore, people complain.

    Personally I finished all my reps months ago... Golden Lotus took too long and the gating was a pain, other than that it's fine once you're over the hump. The 5.1 dailies were nice, the story chain kept you interested. And there's so much going on in IoT that I barely notice the daily grind. In fact I'm not sure why I'm still doing them other than that they're so easy... and I'm after that 10k daily achi lol...
  1. morfraen's Avatar
    xmog from void storage is such a pointless change. It's easy enough to keep your current xmog set in the bank. They need to spend dev resources solving storage issues, not waste them on junk like this.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-07 at 06:55 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by nimryas View Post
    About effing time they let us xmog from void bank.. seriously what the freaking fuck took them so long to figure out it would be only logical... :/
    Seriousy? Why would you be taking items in and out that often? Void storage isn't for things you're using. Your current xmog shouldn't be in there.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-07 at 07:04 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    Sorry, but you're wrong. Those are the same issue. They don't want us hoarding because every item we hoard is more data to store. Void storage is interesting because it strips all the "extra" stuff like gems and enchants off things, storing stuff only as it's basic item ID, making the storage more compact in terms of data efficiency. And in the end, that's all you need for transmog stuff, basic item ID so you can change the appearance of something.
    Database space isn't the issue. If it was we wouldn't have 500+ pets, hundreds of mounts or the ability to have thousands of items in the mail. They can't keep putting off fixing the lack of storage caused by 'toys', tabards, holiday items, momentos and xmog that needs more space every tier.
  1. Alayea's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    can we have some more uses for Lesser Charms? I think I have approximately a zillion of them.
    The use is intended to be that you can take a vacation on dailies if you so choose.
    Considering how dailies are my main income for gold... yeah.
  1. ares1023's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post
    Out of interest what did you prefer about the "Isle of Quel'Danas" dailies compared to the "Isle Of Thunder" dailies.

    The Dailies in the Isle Of Thunder are much more varied (there is a much bigger pool of them) and there are a lot of fun ones, I really like the final one in the stage just opened for example.

    I really like the sense of progression as we go from stage to stage slowly taking over the isle.

    There is loads to do on the isle as well as the dailies (summons, rare hunting, treasure trove etc etc).

    The world PvP seems pretty active even on my carebear server (especially with people doing the PvP dailies).
    Well tbh, I can't really pinpoint the main things that made Isle of Quel'Danas more fun or w/e, it was a mixture of different elements that just made the experience very fun and unique. The daily quests didn't feel like a chore, and it might also be because I liked PvP back then much better than I do now, now a days PvP is all about prevention, there are less cases where you go tit for tat against other classes since some classes just too easily wreck other classes with their stuns/silences/etc.
  1. Pacster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ares1023 View Post
    WThe daily quests didn't feel like a chore, and it might also be because I liked PvP back then much better than I do now, now a days PvP is all about prevention, there are less cases where you go tit for tat against other classes since some classes just too easily wreck other classes with their stuns/silences/etc.
    Yeah, tho I don't see the problem in the silences and stuns(aside from rogue who has more or less a stunlock these days again...which is something I thought long gone since classic)...I think the 150k snares and immunity-bubbles and vanishes are much more annoying. Today it doesn't seem to be about who hits best...but about who avoids best(and thanks to snares avoiding has nothing to do with running away...at least not if you hit on any of those non-stop snare classes).
  1. furydeath's Avatar
    So still have a full bank glad that VS can hold hardly anything I have. Sucks for you all wanting all the tier gear.
  1. zehzao's Avatar
    Good change. And the video, awesome, good music, intro, everything. ^^
  1. Emerelle's Avatar
    Now I'm hungry... -.-
  1. voskopoula's Avatar
    Haha nice intro, theme taken from Fallout pc-rpg series . Good idea
  1. Freia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morfraen View Post
    Seriousy? Why would you be taking items in and out that often? Void storage isn't for things you're using. Your current xmog shouldn't be in there.
    So I should keep my transmog sets in my bags along with the pve and pvp gear for my 2 specs while doing dailies, farming and everything else. Yea not practical.
  1. twelvedogs's Avatar
    woo, void storage is finally useful
  1. Promark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post
    Out of interest what did you prefer about the "Isle of Quel'Danas" dailies compared to the "Isle Of Thunder" dailies.

    The Dailies in the Isle Of Thunder are much more varied (there is a much bigger pool of them) and there are a lot of fun ones, I really like the final one in the stage just opened for example.

    I really like the sense of progression as we go from stage to stage slowly taking over the isle.

    There is loads to do on the isle as well as the dailies (summons, rare hunting, treasure trove etc etc).

    The world PvP seems pretty active even on my carebear server (especially with people doing the PvP dailies).
    I like the new dailies because they are varied, but they are much more spread out than in the past, it takes much longer to complete everything. Also, back then it didn't feel as mandatory to do them every day, but now you still need to complete dailies to obtain charms.
  1. Hilde's Avatar
    When using that addon, it seems like you still have to pay the expensive fee of putting an item in void storage each time you mog it, this won't happen with this new feature right? If it doesn't I'm sure to use void storage more.

Site Navigation