Patch 5.3 - Pet Battle Spectating
Patch 5.3 will allow you to see the battle that is taking place when players are doing battle with Wild Pets out in the world. Currently you just see a player standing there idly while they are fighting. This won't allow you to target the battle pets or see numbers for health and damage.
WoWkemon Addon - Pet Battle Spectating
To go along with the spectating added in Patch 5.3, you can also see the numbers with the WoWkemon Addon's spectate mode. We looked at WoWkemon late last year, but spectate mode is a newer feature. Unfortunately it only works with players on your realm for now, but you can always submit suggestions to the author!
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Riot GDC Presentation: Reducing Toxic Player Behavior
Riot had a presentation at GDC this year about how they addressed toxic behavior by League of Legends players. WoW also has its own share of toxic behavior, and while their solutions are not directly applicable to WoW, it is still an interesting presentation! You can see the whole presentation here.
- A significant number of players say that they are quitting LoL due to bad player behavior.
- 98% of players only have infrequent and non severe toxic behavior and 2% of players have more frequent and severe toxic behavior. (Slide)
- Riot looked at what would happen if they removed the worst 2% of players, but found that the occasional toxic behavior of the other 98% of players made most games appear to still have toxic behavior. (Slide)
- Shield Players from Negative Behavior
- The first experiment involved turning off cross team chat by default for players, but allowing them to turn it back on.
- This dropped the amount of games that used cross team chat by 1%, from 46% to 47%.
- This caused a 32% drop in negative chat (that led to a report), 2% drop in neutral chat, and 35% increase in positive chat. (Slide)
- This also dropped the amount of reports per active player by 6-17% in different categories of toxic behavior. (Slide)
- Reform or Remove Toxic Players
- Players can report others for negative behavior in game and the Tribunal system will build a case for frequent offenders. This case includes chat logs, as well as parts of the gameplay.
- The community then is allowed to vote to Pardon or Punish the offender.
- When comparing the Tribunal decision to the judgement of the official support staff for a sample set of cases, the outcome was the same 80% of the time. Most of the time when the judgement was not the same, the players were actually more lenient than the official staff would have been.
- Examples: Case 1, Case 2, Case 3.
- Riot then added reform cards that are sent to the player after they were banned. These include the judgement, punishment, and evidence from the case.
- The cards that explained why a player was banned and showing them what they did caused player recidivism rates to go down by 2-13% in future games. The recidivism rate previously went up when players just received a vague a ban notice. (Slide)
- The offending player is also able to link the card to everyone else, which ended up in the community agreeing with the decision most of the time. (Slide)
- Some of the banned players even claimed they learned something from being the feedback offered after they were banned! (Slide)
- Create a Culture of Sportsmanship
- There are five categories for tips shown in game: Fun Facts, Positive Behavior, Negative Behavior, Self-reflection, and Gameplay Tips. (Examples)
- Each tip could then use one of three front colors: Red, Blue, and White.
- Then the tip was either placed on the Loading Screen, In Game, Both, or Nowhere.
- Every game got a random combination of these variables with a 10% set of games that acted as a control, having none of these tips.
- Games with the tip: "X% of players punished by the Tribunal improve their behavior and are never punished again" in white on the Loading Screen saw a 4-6% decrease in toxic behaviors. (Slide)
- The next tip had some interesting results depending on font color: "Teammates perform worse if you harass them after a mistake." (Slide)
- Red - 6-11% decrease in toxic behaviors.
- White - Negligible impact.
- As did this one: "Players who cooperate with their teammates win X% more games." (Slide)
- Blue - 4-6% decrease in toxic behaviors.
- Red - Negligible impact.
- Some tips didn't do so well, as this one cause a 5-15% increase in toxic behavior with a red color: "Who will be the most sportsmanlike player in the game?" (Slide)
This is some interesting fan art that appeared on Reddit today, involving exporting WoW assets and replacing elements, then rendering them in another program. You can follow the artist's progress here.