MMO-Champion - WoW Down to 8.3 Million Subscribers
WoW Down to 8.3 Million Subscribers
Activision Blizzard's press release states that World of Warcraft is down to 8.3 million subscribers. This is a loss of 1.3 million, down from 9.6 million last quarter. Most of the loss came from the East once again.

  • Blizzard expects to have less subscribers at the end of the year than they do today.
  • Most of the decline in subscribers came from China.
  • There has been less engagement by casual players.
  • Blizzard is going to work on improving the experience for returning players.
  • Blizzard All Stars and Titan will not be released in 2013 according to the slide below.
  • Heart of the Swarm was the #1 PC game of the quarter, selling 1.1 million copies in two days.
  • There has been increased competition with F2P games in Asia.
  • Players consume content faster and subscribe and unsubscribe as new content is added.

This article was originally published in forum thread: WoW Down to 8.3 Million Subscribers started by chaud View original post
Comments 913 Comments
  1. MysticalOS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Galrauch View Post
    If you think this game is "improving" you are completely delusional
    the game is improving. the problem is, it's STILL wow. despite frequent content updates. some of best raids ever. tons and tons of content, it's STILL wow. for example, i've been around many years. i know the raids and content is good, but i'd still rather play something fresher. ya know? Everquest is better than it's ever been, is it number 1? no. things get old. WoW will jump each new expansion, then bleed out from monotony that is still wow. It's still an old cat no matter how many new tricks it learns. Put it next to a kitten and you can't compete, unless that kitten scratches you and claws up your furniture that is (ie the game is an utter disaster)
    The reason people keep returning to wow is the plain ole fact, no one has done better yet, plain and simple. Until someone does, wow will be king. however, it's going to stay in an endless cycle of "new expansion, lets see if i can feel it this time". followed by "yeah i still don't feel it, bye bye"

    this is not me saying wow is bad at all. it's greatest it's ever been. it's great for new users. but all us vets, which are still a large sum of people, monotony
  1. makkk's Avatar
    Who's still buying diablo
  1. Sargerus's Avatar
    out of curiosity, what are GW2 number of players? i know SWTOR have over 2 million
  1. Shrouded's Avatar
    Again, most MMO-champion posters ignore the trend in favor of the "but 8.3 million is still good!" argument. Yes, 8.3 million is good. It's great, even! Few other games can boast such high numbers, especially after WoW has been out for this long. But come on, even the most devoted WoW player needs to realize facts - a subscription loss of 1.3 million in a single quarter is srs business. Imagine if that subscription loss continued for a year - that'd be 5.2 million subs lost. In a year!

    It's naive to think that this won't affect your WoW experience. As WoW's subscription base declines, so will the resources available for Blizzard to maintain the game. The quality and quantity of content will be affected. WoW will no doubt live on for many years to come, but it's very obvious the game is on the decline.
  1. Siq1ne's Avatar
    I predicted this. Then again I said 5mil by July/Aug 2013 so we'll see.
  1. Wulfscomeback's Avatar
    Im sad to see so many people qutting, espically as this Tier is so awesome!
  1. Arkamedis's Avatar
    redacted 10char/
  1. Roose's Avatar
    People can marginalize it all they want, but this is a huge loss. MoP is how old?

    The game simply is not as much fun as it used to be. Pick a reason.

    To me the game is far beyond bloated. Too many abilities. Too much bullshit to keep up with. Too much gear treadmilling. Pandaland fail. PvP is shit. The "world" in WoW is gone.

    Any other game 8.3 million subs would be amazing, because they would be gaining ground to get there. Just like it was amazing when WoW first hit that mark on their upswing.
  1. Dovius's Avatar
    While that's a steep drop, it should be pointed out that WoW is still dragging along 8.3 million subscribers after 8 years in a market where almost every other game that is not at least partially F2P goes dead within a few years.
  1. Osmeric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by isadorr View Post
    Titan is being marketed as a E-sport and if you do any google searching you will see the comments on Titan being like BC, no nerfs, high difficulty, and a game that can be taken seriously unlike nerfed for bads wow, wow will be left behind for the casuals/bad.
    Isadorr, we debunked this nonsense previously in the forums. If anything, making the game an E-Sport means it has to be simpler than WoW, just so people can understand what they're seeing.
  1. isadorr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ins0mnia View Post
    Wow lacks a community.
    How can you have a community when all of the whining is from people too lazy to learn how to play and are really bad? They want everything nerfed and super easy. Not exactly a challenging game idea.
  1. Idletime's Avatar
    End of wow? Please. I played Vanilla and TBC just fine and we hadn't broken 4 million subs at the time. Wrath came along and blew up the numbers. They didn't hit those big numbers until Wrath, and then started seeing the retreat after Cataclysm. There's not much else they can do here except add QOL and add new artwork with the same mechanics over and over. At this point, the only really redeeming thing in the game is the storyline. Outside of that it's all been done before.
  1. Sky High's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I'm sorry but Idc what your view on the game is... I really don't. I played at 2500~ mmr, i raided hardcore during TBC... I played the game when it was amazing... I played it when it offered a real challenge. What you claim to be good is what I'd consider crap. Raiding is nothing but recycled mechanics.... trust me, I've been watching streams on twitch of all the raids, they don't look hard at all. PvP is utter crap now... blizzards illogical idea of balancing classes was a prime example of retardation. "Oh hey guys, lets balance the game by removing every unique ability in the game that other classes don't have... bloodlust? Time warp w/ speed boost. Totem buffs? Every class has equivalent 30 min buffs. Windfury totem? Too diverse. Kick? Hell, give one to everyone and a silence too." Not to mention that certain comps are too overpowered and it doesn't matter how well you play, a slight slip up will give them the easy kill because it's effortless. You might like the game for some reason, but anyone who played hardcore can concur with me that the game is nothing but an exoskeleton of what it used to be. Just because you sprinkle glitter on a piece of poop, doesn't mean it's going to look any better than a piece of poop. WoW is poop if you didn't get what I was saying.
    to you, it is...to you. not to me...problem?
  1. Edward Newgate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sargerus View Post
    out of curiosity, what are GW2 number of players? i know SWTOR have over 2 million
    SWTOR had over 2M in first 2 months after that it went down 1 Mill subs lol
  1. Arkamedis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post


    World of Warcraft is Dead....

    Hopefully we'll see some nice changes because of this.
    Stop linking this tired ass video, WE GET IT.
  1. Voidmaster's Avatar
    This is the time for a new big mmo to pop, just like wow popped up when EQ was dropping subs rapidly.
    Theres a few million ex-wow players floating around different games, but theres no real new "big one" out there at the moment, if the right game comes around now it can instaly spike to a few million players like wow did back in 2005.
  1. gcsmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I'm sorry but Idc what your view on the game is... I really don't. I played at 2500~ mmr, i raided hardcore during TBC... I played the game when it was amazing... I played it when it offered a real challenge. What you claim to be good is what I'd consider crap. Raiding is nothing but recycled mechanics.... trust me, I've been watching streams on twitch of all the raids, they don't look hard at all. PvP is utter crap now... blizzards illogical idea of balancing classes was a prime example of retardation. "Oh hey guys, lets balance the game by removing every unique ability in the game that other classes don't have... bloodlust? Time warp w/ speed boost. Totem buffs? Every class has equivalent 30 min buffs. Windfury totem? Too diverse. Kick? Hell, give one to everyone and a silence too." Not to mention that certain comps are too overpowered and it doesn't matter how well you play, a slight slip up will give them the easy kill because it's effortless. You might like the game for some reason, but anyone who played hardcore can concur with me that the game is nothing but an exoskeleton of what it used to be. Just because you sprinkle glitter on a piece of poop, doesn't mean it's going to look any better than a piece of poop. WoW is poop if you didn't get what I was saying.
    Recycled mechanics? Well I'll be, if only there were unlimited ways to do things, sadly there isn't so ahh well. I played Hardcore Raiding in TBC as well, guess what? The fights in MOP are far superior. Lets look at the so called hard raid of Sunwell, you had fights which were based around numbers, that was it. Dodging a wave of fire isn't that hard. At least now you have to do something.
  1. Zivy's Avatar
    They need to make guilds more important again... like back when you didn't really get to raid unless you were in a guild and had committed yourself to that guild..
  1. McNeil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    Again, most MMO-champion posters ignore the trend in favor of the "but 8.3 million is still good!" argument. Yes, 8.3 million is good. It's great, even! Few other games can boast such high numbers, especially after WoW has been out for this long. But come on, even the most devoted WoW player needs to realize facts - a subscription loss of 1.3 million in a single quarter is srs business. Imagine if that subscription loss continued for a year - that'd be 5.2 million subs lost. In a year!

    It's naive to think that this won't affect your WoW experience. As WoW's subscription base declines, so will the resources available for Blizzard to maintain the game. The quality and quantity of content will be affected. WoW will no doubt live on for many years to come, but it's very obvious the game is on the decline.
    I've been telling them the exact same thing, but they never seem to listen. Probably still in denial phase
  1. sith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    I can't really say I was expecting such a big drop... yikes. Kinda strange considering the game is only improving over past content.
    Uhh... lol. Not sure what to say to that..

Site Navigation