MMO-Champion - WoW Down to 8.3 Million Subscribers
WoW Down to 8.3 Million Subscribers
Activision Blizzard's press release states that World of Warcraft is down to 8.3 million subscribers. This is a loss of 1.3 million, down from 9.6 million last quarter. Most of the loss came from the East once again.

  • Blizzard expects to have less subscribers at the end of the year than they do today.
  • Most of the decline in subscribers came from China.
  • There has been less engagement by casual players.
  • Blizzard is going to work on improving the experience for returning players.
  • Blizzard All Stars and Titan will not be released in 2013 according to the slide below.
  • Heart of the Swarm was the #1 PC game of the quarter, selling 1.1 million copies in two days.
  • There has been increased competition with F2P games in Asia.
  • Players consume content faster and subscribe and unsubscribe as new content is added.

This article was originally published in forum thread: WoW Down to 8.3 Million Subscribers started by chaud View original post
Comments 913 Comments
  1. ADman319's Avatar
    1. Asia is where most of these subscriptions have been lost. They burn threw content at double the rate due to 2 weekly resets. And the MMO market in Asia is HUGE , they have 5-10 mmos that are exactly like World of Warcraft but F2P or a lot cheaper and easier to get a hold of.

    2. If you look at there quarterly earnings for WoW they actually went up since Q1 of 2012 so there may be a uptick in US subscriptions and a down tick in Asian.
  1. Testaxc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Koeevu View Post
    Maybe for people living in their mom's basement, but I quit when I realized that I couldn't run LFR every week and stay a reasonable distance behind no lifers. Mostly due to the rep grind and rep requirements for gear. Between sports, work, real life and wanting to play at least a few other game I can't commit the minimum time required to see the content.
    I quit long ago from a mix of reasons from natural boredom to having little time, but its always funny to see that even if they lower the bar so low that you are scraping the scum of the barrel that casuals will still not buy into the model and blame it on having a life. If you want to run a travesty like lfr all you need is a few hours out of the week. This is nothing like old wow.
  1. Osmeric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ADman319 View Post
    2. If you look at there quarterly earnings for WoW they actually went up since Q1 of 2012 so there may be a uptick in US subscriptions and a down tick in Asian.
    You are being fooled by looking at GAAP numbers. This is misleading, because under GAAP the $$$ injection from all the box sales/downloads back at MoP release is taken over several quarters. So Q1 2013 is artificially inflated compared to Q1 2012.

    Non-GAAP numbers, which don't do this, show a 22% decline in "Online subscription" revenue from Q1 2012 to Q1 2013.
  1. crakerjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodfire View Post
    Just tell me how many times you've posted about Death to WoW. Simply.
    And how many times people kept whabbering about it in past 8 years.
    See... this is the issue with your type of people... you claim that people have been saying WoW is dying since the beginning... maybe... but that group wasn't nearly as big as it is now... and the arguments that they made back then were probably over stupid things... whereas now I could make countless arguments about how the quality in the game has declined.
  1. Koeevu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Testaxc View Post
    I quit long ago from a mix of reasons from natural boredom to having little time, but its always funny to see that even if they lower the bar so low that you are scraping the scum of the barrel that casuals will still not buy into the model and blame it on having a life. If you want to run a travesty like lfr all you need is a few hours out of the week. This is nothing like old wow.
    I did the raider life. A non-hardcore raiding schedule is 7h30pm to 10h30 PM, three nights a week. I have to leave for work at 7h30AM and get back around 6h30pm. That means that for these three days I do nothing except sleep, go to work, play and then go to sleep. And this is just to be in a middle of the pack raiding guild.

    That's not a way to live, and god forbid the people that do it six days a week. They're missing out on a lot of great things in life, and a lot of great video games.
  1. ADman319's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    You are being fooled by looking at GAAP numbers.
    No i am looking at the actual revenue report
    Subscription, licensing and other revenues 2013=334mil 2012=298mil

    even with the losses Blizzard has been able to make almost a 100mil increase in net income
  1. Raego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    See... this is the issue with your type of people... you claim that people have been saying WoW is dying since the beginning... maybe... but that group wasn't nearly as big as it is now... and the arguments that they made back then were probably over stupid things... whereas now I could make countless arguments about how the quality in the game has declined.
    it's not that much bigger as it is louder and your arguments aren't any smarter than they were from other doomsayers back then
    but here's an idea, you go play a game that you like, while those of us who still enjoy wow continue to play it, none of us is hating on your games, so why are you so keen on hating on wow, saying it's dying and getting so irritated when someone doesn't share your point of view
  1. Freia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    See... this is the issue with your type of people... you claim that people have been saying WoW is dying since the beginning... maybe... but that group wasn't nearly as big as it is now... and the arguments that they made back then were probably over stupid things... whereas now I could make countless arguments about how the quality in the game has declined.
    You can post a bunch reasons why in your opinion the game has declined in quality. All you have is your opinion, which is the same as all the other nah sayers in the past had--their opinions.
  1. glycerethe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    way to take it to one end or the other. there needs to be a middle ground. gear should not fall from the sky nor should it take months to get ONE piece of gear. but since you seem to know what the answer is, tell it.
    You started posting on the forums non-stop since 6pm til 10pm, that's 4 hours of rage, holy sh1t.
  1. lyxx's Avatar
    Blizzard expects to have less subscribers at the end of the year than they do today.

    Lets make some prediction - i expect 6-7 mln
  1. Osmeric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ADman319 View Post
    No i am looking at the actual revenue report
    Subscription, licensing and other revenues 2013=334mil 2012=298mil
    And those are GAAP numbers (and I believe include some non-WoW stuff).

    The more appropriate numbers are under "Online Subscriptions" on page 5 of the press release. Notice the 47M in net deferred revenue causing a large difference between the GAAP and non-GAAP numbers.
  1. Luxeley's Avatar
    Huge drop! The bottom line is, Blizzard needs to provide "greater" quality if they want to maintain their pay for play business model. They got away with not fixing Outland and Northrend, not adding new dungeons and raids with patches (doesn't need to be part of a progressive, just part of a greater choice), not doing new character models, not fixing PVP (increasing baseline resilience will make it 5xs worse!) and not fixing server imbalance and dead servers. They know what to do about everything, they simply choose not to because it costs T & M (time and money). Hopefully, Blizzard realizes they must provide more for their subs and increase the overall value of what they put out because apparantly people are choosing the free to play model over Blizzard. This is a wake up call, let's see how blizzard responds: do we see a major overhual of the game or do we get a new cool mount to buy and another 1,000,000 retarded dailies to do?
  1. Darth Primus's Avatar
    Make it free 2 play like other mmog already ?!?!?!?
  1. Testaxc's Avatar
    If you compare to peak players not too far in the past we're now at 1 in 3 people no longer playing WoW from that era.
  1. Snakebyte's Avatar
    A direct result of them screwing us multiboxers. I knew they would lose a ton of subs. Lost 7 from me.
  1. UcanDoSht's Avatar
    RE: Hearthstone Gameplay

    They should probably play WoW more often and get in touch with their community instead of defending the failure they call "design philosophy".
  1. mikencarly's Avatar
    -- As of March 31, 2013, Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft remains the #1 subscription-based MMORPG, with 8.3 million subscribers.(2)

    For the quarter ended March 31, 2013, Activision Blizzard's GAAP net revenues were $1.32 billion, as compared with $1.17 billion for the first quarter of 2012 they are no were near dying lol.
  1. Shinoga's Avatar
    Hearthstone is starting and i am ready! Looking forward for it to be released
    Liking the TCG already, this would make it all a bit easier and leave more space in my drawes (which are getting full of cards :P)
  1. UcanDoSht's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikencarly View Post
    -- As of March 31, 2013, Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft remains the #1 subscription-based MMORPG, with 8.3 million subscribers.(2)

    For the quarter ended March 31, 2013, Activision Blizzard's GAAP net revenues were $1.32 billion, as compared with $1.17 billion for the first quarter of 2012 they are no were near dying lol.
    Irrelavant, since Activision Blizzard contains more games than just World of Warcraft. They didnt lose 1,3 million subscriptions because they are so awesome.
  1. Metacrias's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ADman319 View Post
    1. Asia is where most of these subscriptions have been lost. They burn threw content at double the rate due to 2 weekly resets. And the MMO market in Asia is HUGE , they have 5-10 mmos that are exactly like World of Warcraft but F2P or a lot cheaper and easier to get a hold of.

    2. If you look at there quarterly earnings for WoW they actually went up since Q1 of 2012 so there may be a uptick in US subscriptions and a down tick in Asian.
    I rarely comment on articles here but I felt compelled to do so to this article, but the very first comment I saw (the one quoted!) said pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Basically, China is the source of most lost subscriptions and for a variety of reasons, primarily those mentioned by ADman but also things like the rapid development process, changing legal systems regarding internet usage, new policies on trade resulting partly from the very, very recent transition in power from Hu Jintao to Xi Jinping (if you don't know the name, learn it - he's the second most powerful person on Earth and will be for the next 10 years...), etc. all have worked to make the Chinese market for most things, including WoW, highly volatile. Plus, the way they pay for the game also matters - they can lock up a subscription and start it back up much more easily than we can in the West.

Site Navigation