Patch 5.3 Dev Interviews
Gamebreaker had a live video interview with Blizzard this week, so here is a recap in case you missed it!
- Players come back for expansions, and patches help a little bit, but players are always lost over time until the next expansion. Blizzard is trying to get content and expansions out quicker to make sure everyone has something to do.
- When quitting the game, players mention that the game changes too fast and they couldn't keep up.
- The devs read fansites and the official forums to get feedback and see what players are thinking, but the players that actually post or even read those sites are the minority.
- The PvP gearing changes in Patch 5.2 were meant to address the different tiers of PvE gear by matching them with different tiers of PvP gear. Upgraded items made this a messy and a non optimal solution.
- Patch 5.2 tried to make some of the less interesting talents more desirable choices, but the changes went a little bit too far and made some classes too good. This will hopefully be corrected by the changes in Patch 5.3.
- The goals of any class changes are to try and make different classes and specs competitive, then make the gameplay fun, and then make some talents and rotations interesting and fun to play.
- World PvP outcomes generally depend on how many players of each faction there are in the battle and not the item level of the other faction's gear. The gearing changes in 5.3 aren't likely to cause drastic changes for most world PvP battles.
- After the gearing changes made in 5.3, Conquest gear should let you start to raid with your friends, and PvE gear should let you start to PvP with your friends.
- There is no advantage to be gained by queuing as an incorrect role for battlegrounds, as the system has no set number for each role, it just roughly matches the number of healers on both sides. Signing up as a healer when you are not healing won't give you a faster queue, but it will put your team at a disadvantage.
- Matching players by gear for battlegrounds is a nice idea, but it would be hard for players to tell that it is working. The base resilience change and other changes in 5.3 should help to address large gear disparities.
- Warsong still has problems with graveyard camping. One potential solution can be seen in Deepwind Gorge, which has two different graveyards, putting you at the one on the opposite side when you die.
- The best kind of CC has a cast time and is interruptible and the worst kind is instant cast that has no cooldown or stuns.
- The original scenarios are too easy now, as they were designed for players with older gear with lower item levels. Heroic scenarios provide more difficulty and better rewards.
- Throne of Thunder had to be a big and epic raid, which took up a lot of dev time. When the team compromised with Dragon Soul and delivered a raid and five man dungeons in one patch, the raid ended up being a little bit smaller than everyone wanted. The team is growing though, so progress is being made towards being able to do both.
- The first tier of raids in this expansion had slightly easier content in the 10 player difficulty, which matched the audience who was raiding 10 player difficulty.
- There aren't many 25 player raiding guilds that only focus on Normal difficulty. These guilds usually try to get through Normal difficulty encounters quickly to move on to Heroic difficulty encounters.
- There are a lot of 10 player raiding guilds that just focus on Normal content though, which means the players doing 10 player difficulty in Throne of Thunder struggled a little bit compared to the 25 player guilds.
- In Patch 5.4, Valor Points will still be used to upgrade your items. There may also be other sources of gear for players that don't like raiding, which will not require Valor Points.
- The new events in the Barrens are designed to keep players out in the world, without using daily quests. As long as things go well in 5.3, there will be something similar added in Patch 5.4.
Patch 5.3 Hotfixes - May 21
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Conquest Vendors Temporarily Disabled
LF Feedback - Pet Abilities Adjustments
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Openraid Event - Midwinter
Openraid is holding another event this weekend! This time you have the chance to ask questions and raid with Midwinter, the 7th place guild for this tier. This time around it is for US-Alliance players, but anyone can ask questions.
Dark Legacy Comics
DLC #390 has been released!