MMO-Champion - Patch 5.3 Dev Interview, Blue Posts, Blue Tweets, Poll, TCG Art Update
A Reason to Fight Bosses, Breaks are Not a Bad Thing, Blue Posts, Curse Weekly Roundup

Shaman Card Reveal: Earth Elemental

Patch 5.3 Dev Interview
Today we are looking at an interview with Cory Stockton by WoWJuju.

Future
  • The big unannounced feature will have a cool impact on the game and is something they have been talking about for a long time.
  • Patch 5.4 should be on the PTR fairly soon, so we will know what it is soon!
  • The team is looking at ways to make getting in to PvP easier, similar to how LFR made getting in to PvE easier. One of the changes made towards this goal was the PvP gear and stat changes in Patch 5.3.

Pet Battles
  • PvP servers don't get any system changes just because they are a PVP server, so getting attacked while in a wild pet battle is just part of the PvP server experience.
  • There are a few auction house fixes on the list for filtering and displaying battle pets, some of which may end up in Patch 5.4.
  • The pet battle system is built around collection and advancement, with the battle being a fun game with strategy.
  • Models are reused between pets to increase the number of pets you can collect, with some using different skins on the same model.
  • The ICC buff was nice in that it helped you to defeat the bosses, but players felt weak in the outside world after raiding with that large buff. Debuffing the bosses rather than buffing the players was the solution to this problem.

Misc
  • The Troves of the Thunder King scenario worked out well and the devs will continue to experiment with more things like it in the future.
  • The new unlucky streak protection can be used in other areas where streaks of bad luck will make gameplay unpleasant.


Blue Posts
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Heroic Scenario Rewards
Extreme bad luck with RNG can make things feel less rewarding, especially if players are used to 5man heroics always dropping some loot, so even if they don’t get loot, at least they see it dropping, which gives them a feeling of accomplishment (seeing what dropped instead of "if it dropped"), I understand that only seeing some gold at the end of a run can feel a bit… “meh!”

Having said that, there are measures we can take to at least provide a bit of protection against extreme streaks of bad luck if we think that they are necessary. We’ll keep an eye on this, it’s useful for us to know that some players are finding heroic scenarios interesting and challenging but not rewarding, and we’ll let devs know about it. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Resillience and Low Level Characters
Just to touch on this topic quickly; Any characters below level 90 currently gets 40% base resilience, this is intentional. This is partially because there is lower level gear that we were not ready or unable to remove the resilience from. We’ll eventually strip the resilience off all the old gear if we don’t redesign the system for later patches and at that point we may make changes to the base resilience numbers for lower levels. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Low Level Dungeons
It would be great to have much harder content for those who enjoy that kind of challenge while levelling, but I believe that the issue is if we make low level dungeons much harder, most players would avoid them altogether because they wouldn’t be competitive enough in terms of xp/time when compared to questing.

That’s a problem because it would probably have the unfortunate consequence of increasing the queue times for LFD. So in the end we would be faced with almost no one running dungeons while levelling.

Anyone wanting to run those harder dungeons would probably go through very few of them due to having very long waiting times, and these players would only represent a tiny portion of the total number of players that would be still levelling up.

Maybe what would be possible would be to tune the difficulty of heroic versions a lot higher and to provide a better xp/time ratio by compensating with an increased amount of xp per mob to actually make it competitive with questing. This would provide a nice alternative without removing any existing content for those who enjoy the experience of normal dungeons.

We need to keep in mind that dungeon attractiveness depends largely on the relationship between difficulty and rewards; this includes: xp/time ratio, gear and entertainment/fun level.

We would need to tune them to be challenging without feeling discouraging, that means we need to hit that sweet spot where a player that enjoys challenging content would always queue for the heroic version instead of the normal without feeling that he would be losing anything by making that choice, else, heroics would be plagued by high queue times and players would gradually stop using them.

The problem is we have finite resources, of course ideally we would love to put out content for every kind of player out there because we can actually do that with the scaling functionalities we have in place, but we like to do things the right way, we’re not just going to automatically increase the hp/level/xp of every mob and loot without properly checking everything about each dungeon, and this takes time, time that would be better spent on creating new raids and dungeons for level 90, because as many of you know, that’s one of the major things players have been asking us, that we stop putting so much focus on LFR and instead create challenging content with new 5mans for players that just dinged level 90 and dislike the low difficulty level and lack of social interaction of LFR. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Blue Tweets
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
PvE
how come bosses always die at 1-2% these days? I get it for ones that go friendly at low health, but others?
Usually so we can do some kind of RP at the end. We'd like to have most bosses die at 0 though, even if some storytelling follows. (Source)

Heroic Scenarios
why does rand n-scen take away the epic box reward for rand h-scen? sucks that cant do scens waiting for friends to log on.
We wanted heroic scenarios to replace random ones for capable players, not be yet another task to do every day. (Source)

The one blemish on the face of Heroic Scenarios? No cloth (or anything, but only care about cloth) from trash mobs anymore.
We debated that a lot, but we have some timed objectives and that doesn't play well with stopping to loot everything. (Source)

How is people spamming trade with "LF2M HSC" any different than allowing us to queue? It's queueing in a more annoying way.
You have a chance to vet the group you're in and maybe more motivation to make it work once you have a group. (Source)
Maybe, just maybe, you'll add the good folks to your friends list and run future scenarios with them. #sneakysocialization. (Source)

Still not sure how I feel about requiring a pre-made group for random heroic scenarios. Feels like a step backwards.
We found in Cat that hard can be fun and matchmaking can be convenient, but the two don't work well together. (Source)

Still have LFR req 480 and queue'd. Heroic Scenario same 480 req. Why no queue? Same difficulty level.
There are a lot of other people to help cover for a weaker player in LFR. We also wanted to do bonus objectives in scenarios. (Source)

Dungeons
Why does it take so much more time to design a dungeon than a scenario?
Art is the big one, but the boss mechanics are also more complex and we have to make sure the loot and lock outs work correctly. (Source)

It'd be nice if you simply shifted LFR into 5-mans. We still see content. We still keep 5-mans. LFR clusterfudge goes away.
I just think they are different experiences. Having an army of characters is epic. (Source)
We even catch flak sometimes when major enemies can be defeated by just 5 folks. We brought back Anub'arak for that reason. (Source)

"Dungeons come with the expectation of new architecture, and some new art, and mechanics like that." I disagree!
To be fair, Jade Temple was developed as a dungeon first. (Source)
The discussion IIRC was whether we could just take chunks of terrain (as we do with scenarios) and call that a dungeon. (Source)
My suspicion is players would see through that so we'd only want to do it sparingly. (Source)

Raid Finder
How do you reconcile that with many players running LFR every week & having fun with it? Curious where LFR fits
LFR is more about seeing content and earning gear. There is less of a sense of boss progression since your success is never in doubt. (Source)

LFR is intended to display content. LFD is/was intended to be a catalyst for organized raiding. Why not merge them?
LFD wasn't intended to get people into raiding. That's one of those issues I mentioned about not everyone wants to raid. (Source)
LFD is a good way to gear up for raiding for sure, but at the time, heroic 5s were the endgame for many people. (Source)

ever feel LFR overexposes the raid to some players? ToT has been out for like 2 months but feels like i been there for a year
It's a risk. I personally feel like my kill tolerance is about 16 kills. Beyond that, I lose interest dramatically. (Source)
So if you're doing LFR every week, especially combined with N or alts, you can burn yourself out quickly. (Source)
LFR is a little worse for that because you see all the bosses quickly instead of working towards the last few. (Source)

RE: players ignoring mechanics in LFR in favor of more DPS - have you read this post? http://t.co/2AwEE6hYVi
Good post. Also remember that some players really just don't understand the mechanics. (Source)
True raiders sometimes forget just how much more they know about the game than many LFR players. (Source)
Some players get world firsts drunk wtf is your point? You don't understand something read up on it don't be stupid!
Raid Finder isn't about watching lots of strategy videos first. That's not the intent. (Source)
True you dont have to do tons of research b4 LFR but it's irritating to get tanks who have zero idea how a fight works.
That's fair. I think a common expectation is that tanks have some idea what is going on, especially several weeks into a patch. (Source)

Raids
can u clarify hotfix on lfr grouping when i entered lfr my friend left and the system kicked me
If you queue with a tank for short queues and then he or she bails, it kicks you as well, esp. if you have a history of it. (Source)
I don't know of course if that is what happened to you, but that is one possibility. (Source)

Is there any specific reason the Devs decided to put near impossible-to-kill trash (aka Ritualists ) at Animus?
I think the problem with that particular pull is that it's not clear how you're intended to do it. (Source)

Raiding in its current form has lost its niche among the players but i might be wrong. I mean from player participation %
Our numbers don't look very different. I am sure LFR stole some folks from 10s, but overall my suspicion is most didn't raid before. (Source)
There is some confusion about what you are supposed to do when a new tier comes out: finish the current one or jump to the new one? (Source)
We were trying to preserve the older tier a little, but that feels weird when you can jump into LFR and see everything. (Source)

Do you want heroic guilds to still have to work a decent amount day 1, or are you alright if they blow through it.
Generally blowing through it is fine since they out gear the content. (Source)
We would open heroic on day one except that it's nice to have a week to catch stuff. (Source)

as opposed to plowing thru lfr and getting stuck on normal modes?
The traditional raid experience was to spend several nights on a new boss. LFR you can finish in a couple hours. (Source)
So I feel like we're talking about different time scales of "plow through." Finishing N in a day or two for a non-H guild is odd. (Source)

But having harder 10s some tiers and harder 25s other tiers is schizo. Pick a thing, STATE IT, and stick with it.
never the intent; just the way tuning works out sometimes. As I've said before, PTR testing tends to skew to skilled players. (Source)

and why not make heroic epically heroic, so the HC boss goes down 2 month after patch not 1 day, eg: new spells, no DG journal
Heroic guilds these days might make 400 attempts on a boss. It is probably not possible to make that 4000. (Source)
The only solution is limited attempts, which we do a little, but overall can feel like artificial gating. (Source)
We could make e.g. Lei Shen require H T-forged gear for even Method to beat, but then nobody else will ever have a chance. (Source)

World
not complaining, but what do you think about CRZ? does it work as intented or did it become a flop?
Was questing through Vash'jir today and saw a lot of other players. In that respect, it's working great. (Source)
but did you engage with them, or is it just an illusion so we don't feel 'alone'? (and with no social benefit)
I'm not sure that I engaged with players in the Barrens in Vanilla. We helped each other out from time to time. (Source)
I'm sure some people met their lifetime guilds while randomly questing, but I'm not sure how often that happened even back then. (Source)

and there is no way to level an alt on pvp servers anymore because of the implementation of crz
That implies pre CRZ you weren't doing much PvP while leveling up, which isn't really the experience those servers were going for. (Source)

Pet Battle Poll



TCG Art Update
Blizzard has updated the Trading Card Game art gallery to feature ten new pieces.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Patch 5.3 Dev Interview, Blue Posts, Blue Tweets, Poll, TCG Art Update started by chaud View original post
Comments 65 Comments
  1. Yakuchin's Avatar
    I must be crazy, I have 32 pets at level 25... and I don't really spend more than an hour doing pet battles each day 8(
  1. Worgoblin's Avatar
    If this announced feature is some sort of content scaling system, that would be pretty amazing. Like... what if you could take your lvl 50 toon into any lower level zone or dungeon and have that content scaled to you. That would be incredible.
  1. Azrile's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    "PvP servers don't get any system changes just because they are a PVP server, so getting attacked while in a wild pet battle is just part of the PvP server experience."

    That's a horrible thing to say. Really mind numbing. It just opens up more chances to grief someone, not to mention if you're in a pet battle you can't defend yourself. I call bullshit on that - you should be untargetable and immune to damage if you're in a Pet Battle, so long as you've done at least a round of combat (to stop people just running up to a wild pet to escape combat).

    I know some PvP 'heroes' will disagree and trott out the usual rubbish responce. But if you attack someone who's fighting and trying to capture a rare pet, you're pretty much griefing them. PvP be damned in this case. Its akin to being attacked while in a dungeon by enemy players, which is something that is impossible for good reason.
    There is already a huge damage debuff for a few seconds if you are in a pet battle. If someone attacks you and uses a big cd spell, or an attack that uses a lot of their resource ( energy etc).. then as the pet battler, you have the advantage because they just blew their cd for little damage. I would be willing to bet that most good pvpers(gankers) have already learned that it is better to just wait a minute and gank the person when the pet battle is over.

    I am by no means a pvp hero as you say.. but it is the reality of being on a pvp server.
  1. Darmalus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    If this announced feature is some sort of content scaling system, that would be pretty amazing. Like... what if you could take your lvl 50 toon into any lower level zone or dungeon and have that content scaled to you. That would be incredible.
    It would be amazing. I'd love to run low level content with my friend's without effectively soloing the dungeon for them.
  1. Azrile's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woakerio View Post
    Talk about a way to increase subs, so many people would keep paying monthly for that feature alone. People love playing doll-house, and adding in ways to earn furniture/trophies/landscape etc would have a ton of possibilities. I would imagine that would be feature to be in an expansion rather than a patch, but ya never know...
    I agree. Ultima Online had a system called IDOC ( in danger of collapsing).. basically if you did not open your front door in a certain amount of time, it would ultimately reach a point where it would collapse. I think it was about 6 weeks. Anyone could see the ´state´ the house was in. I think there were like 4 stages (new, worn, old, IDOC)... and when a house turned ´IDOC´ it meant it was going to collapse in the next week... This was great for two reasons.. first, housing spots were very limited, so if a house collapsed, it meant someone else could place a house in that spot. Second, when a house collapse, all of the contents would get scattered around the area and people could pick them up. This was an amazing social time in the game. When a castle went IDOC, there would sometimes be a hundred people sitting around waiting for it to fall.

    Because housing was so desired, NOBODY with a house would let their accounts lapse... you resubscribed, or your lost your house.

    Housing and player run vendors in UO were the most addicting parts to any game I have ever played. I am sure there were people who would get evicted from their real house before allowing their castle to go IDOC.

    ---------- Post added 2013-06-01 at 08:16 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post
    "and there is no way to level an alt on pvp servers anymore because of the implementation of crz
    That implies pre CRZ you weren't doing much PvP while leveling up, which isn't really the experience those servers were going for. "

    Obviously Durando, You miss the entire point of PvP realms as blizzard clearly has stated it for months and again below what you yourself quoted. Corpse camping someone or a graveyard may be griefing, but anywhere else you are fair game. If you don't want to be fair game, then don't play on a PvP realm. Seriously, saying that being attacked while questing or any other pve type experience on a pvp realm, is like moving to England and complaining about drivers on the wrong side of the road. Or going online with halo and screaming it's not fair when you get shot. You made the choice to be there.

    Now that Blizz by CRZ is straightening out what PvP servers are supposed to be like, people are having issues about PvP. That's why they are there, to let people who want to kill each other and have a real war, do so.
    And there are many ways to level on a pvp server without questing.... dungeons and BGs spring to mind.

    ---------- Post added 2013-06-01 at 08:23 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    If this announced feature is some sort of content scaling system, that would be pretty amazing. Like... what if you could take your lvl 50 toon into any lower level zone or dungeon and have that content scaled to you. That would be incredible.
    The content will not scale to you, you will scale to the content.

    You will be able to go into RFC and your level will drop to 15 and your ilvl will drop to 5 (guessing lol). I am 100% positive this is what the new feature will be.

    The questions that remain

    1. If you do RFC as a level 15 while you are at level 50, will you get experience towards 51? Probably not
    2. Will the gear you get in RFC scale up to your character once you leave the dungeon? Probably not
    3. Will there be a queing system, or will you have to enter the dungeon with a premade group? Probably a que
  1. Aliok's Avatar
    I don't like the fact that Heroic Scenarios do not drop any loot (because it goes against the whole loot-treasure-from-mob-you-killed philosophy), but at least I can understand the reasoning. Removing loot from Normal Scenarios? Pardon my language, but what the hell! ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Why???

    Normal Scenarios do not have a timer or bonus objective. It's Normal. So why can't I get loot from them? It was pretty much my only source of cloth for my main, a tailor, because the farm is busy getting me rep from the first tier of the expansion. It was also somewhat decent for looting greens to disenchant - again, for my main. I don't care about VP (I have to run LFR anyway for the yucky legendary quest chain) or gear (again, I have to run LFR anyway). Normal Scenarios are now just another monotonous task that rewards... what? Reputation gain only? That is only a reason to do the first scenario of the day. It doesn't encourage me to run additional scenarios and interact with other players. It doesn't give me anything to talk about in party chat or guild chat.

    I just want to know why Blizzard did this. At least then a proper discussion about the need for such a change can take place. For those who are like-minded, please post here (US). I don't know if an EU version exists, but if not feel free to start one.
  1. Palatinus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    Because housing was so desired, NOBODY with a house would let their accounts lapse... you resubscribed, or your lost your house.
    In the case of WoW though, if I never resubscribe to get a house, then I will never have a house to lose. I think that it would only work to stop people already addicted from unsubbing, the feature doesn't really attract old players to play again?
  1. Taiknee's Avatar
    I wonder if Hearthstone will give hints towards future stuff in WoW..
  1. Ogemaniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AvA-LaND View Post
    Not all of us can donate 20+ hours of raiding a week bro to handle something like that. Remember I pay to play this game just as you do. For us working professionals who have the expendable income to waste on games like this, keeps blizzards income rolling in, and in turn makes the mothership happy. You do that and release LFR a patch later, you would see a sharp decline in subscriptions. So I award you no points.
    I disagree. You would only notice a delay as a casual player right after launch. The gap between the first and second, second and third, etc pairs of raids would be the same as now. But would a delay at the expansion opening hurt casuals? No. In fact, it is the opposite. By far my favorite expansion was TBC, where there was actually a significant period between hitting 70 and the start of raiding. You had to build up heroic, crafted, and rep gear that pretty much formed a full pre-raid tier BEFORE having much of a chance in Kara. That was great fun.

    Casuals shouldn't even be ready to enter the first raid, even an easy mode like LFR, for a couple months after the expansion opens. Blizzard should go back to the TBC model in the sense that the first tier of raids should be tuned with the expectation that you have mostly exhausted the heroic/crafted/rep tier, and use this to buy a month or two of time. Part of what made WotLK and Cata feel like the last raid lasted forever was that the FIRST raid didn't last long enough.

    My model would be that at launch, only the hard mode would be open for a month or so. Let the best players throw themselves at that hardmode, without the benefit of any easy training modes and the gear that they bring, and make them choose between severely under-geared raiding and grinding out the gear. Release the regular raid after say four weeks, about the time it would take average players to exhaust the heroic/crafted/rep tier. Release the LFR a little later, probably with the X.1 patch, as it should take that long for casual players to clear the heroic/crafted/rep tier.
  1. Tomana's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogemaniac View Post
    There is a simple solution for that - just delay LFR longer. It shouldn't be released until the next patch (ie, 5.0 raid LFR released with 5.1, 5.2 LFR with 5.3, etc). Yes, it is great that everyone can see everything. They don't all need to see it at the same time. In fact, as a player who has ranged from hardcore to very casual, I don't WANT to be able to see end game as a casual almost as soon as all but the most hardcore players.
    What you don't understand is
    a) most people actually DO want to see the content in the same tier and
    b) the most important thing is that delaying LFR for one tier is not economically defensible. Sinking a lot of money and resources into something most people won't experience until after several months is absolutely silly from a business point of view. Especially in a shrinking market where your main aim is to retain subs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ogemaniac View Post
    One of my dreams for WoW would be hard mode servers. Yep. EVERYTHING would be hard mode. [...] It would be a world where the men were men and the weak wailed. It would be a blast.
    Yeah, it would be a world of students living in their basements. Great plan. WoW is not Lineage and we're not in 2000.
    Also, it would be something developed to please a 0.01% (maybe) population. (Great plan)².
  1. Guinzil's Avatar
    5.4 dance studio

    let's make it happen
  1. Help ol Gil Out's Avatar
    The Treasure Room got boring the second or third time around because the only thing which changes are the locations of the large loot chests and even that isn't entirely foolproof either.

    They should have five or six variations or somehow incorporate a random area generator to keep it fresh.
  1. Zulzulen's Avatar
    With the next raid being the raid on Orgrimmar, Alliance and Horde both working with the Darkspear in the rebellion, Thrall and Chen playing a roll in the events on horde side ((never play alliance so don't know and don't care whats going on over there)), and as another way to reduce LFR/LFD queues... I personally wouldn't be surprised if the new addition in 5.4 would be the introduction of cross faction dungeons and raids.
  1. Ogemaniac's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Tomana;21319314]What you don't understand is
    a) most people actually DO want to see the content in the same tier and
    b) the most important thing is that delaying LFR for one tier is not economically defensible. Sinking a lot of money and resources into something most people won't experience until after several months is absolutely silly from a business point of view. Especially in a shrinking market where your main aim is to retain subs.[QUOTE]


    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    What you don't understand is
    a) most people actually DO want to see the content in the same tier and
    b) the most important thing is that delaying LFR for one tier is not economically defensible. Sinking a lot of money and resources into something most people won't experience until after several months is absolutely silly from a business point of view. Especially in a shrinking market where your main aim is to retain subs.
    Yeah, it would be a world of students living in their basements. Great plan. WoW is not Lineage and we're not in 2000.
    Also, it would be something developed to please a 0.01% (maybe) population. (Great plan)².
    Let's assume expansions last twenty months (a bit less than the past, but Blizzard is trying to speed things up). Even number patches are new raids, odds are filler, dungeons, etc.

    X.0 released month 0
    X.1 released month 3
    X.2 released month 6 (new raid)
    X.3 released month 9
    X.4 released month 12 (new raid)
    X.5 released month 16
    Next expansion month 20

    For the current casual player, things work like this

    Month 1 - level and gear up
    Month 2 - LFR
    Month 3 - Twiddle thumbs
    Month 4 - Enjoy the new filler
    Month 5, 6, 7 - Twiddle
    Month 8 - New LFR
    ...
    Month 13 - New LFR
    Month 14+ - Twiddle


    What I am suggesting is that the LFR's be moved back by a couple months, moving some of that "14+" twiddling to before your first raid. What would you do during this time? The same stuff you did back in TBC before you entered Karazhan - gear up with dungeons (regular, then heroic), crafted gear (slow after first because purples were rare, thus resulting in low supply of materials), and rep gear (first revered gear, then later exhalted). The first tier raids should be tuned such that they assume you have this gear, which should be a significant step up from anything coming before, including gear from the last expansion. I'd also slide the regular raids back a few weeks in order for the middle-of-the-pack players to also enjoy this stretch of the game a little more rather than rushing straight into the raid. For the hardcores, the heroic mode would be open from day one (though possibly gated). However, since they would arrive under-geared, they would have to find a balance between obtaining the heroic/crafted/rep gear and raiding raids that they are very undergeared for. Note that this would allow Blizzard to make the heroics a little less hard while maintaining the challenge for the best of the best, and thus make them more accessible to average players.

    I think Blizzard made a huge mistake in the last three expansions in making the time from dinging max level to entering the first raid too short, pretty much neutering the heroic/crafted/rep tier that both lasted forever in TBC but was a ton of fun and offered a lot of play value. If the loss of this tier somehow magically resulted in more raids faster, that might be ok. But the actual result is just more twiddling, particular after the final raid of the expansion. In TBC, I was in BT and still wanting a few peices of heroic gear for my offspecs, and didn't down Mag for at least six months after the expansion opened. It WotLK, in contrast, I had three Naxx purples the night I dinged 80, and cleared it within another week or two....and we were a pretty casual guild. Thus, we got bored and stuck with a lot of twiddling and member attrition.
  1. Schintus's Avatar
    The winner of the Armored Bloodwing - what'up, MMO Champion?
  1. Senzafire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Schintus View Post
    The winner of the Armored Bloodwing - what'up, MMO Champion?
    That's what I'm curious about :O
  1. Dark Exerus's Avatar
    If its suppose to finally be the dance studios they better be careful hyping it up. I have a feeling what ever feature they are talking about will fall short, since transmogrification(and everything in the same room with this feature), pet battles, flying in Azaroth and the Barbershop are my top favorite features right now.
  1. Tomana's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogemaniac View Post
    For the current casual player, things work like this

    Month 1 - level and gear up
    Month 2 - LFR
    Month 3 - Twiddle thumbs
    Month 4 - Enjoy the new filler
    Month 5, 6, 7 - Twiddle
    Month 8 - New LFR
    ...
    Month 13 - New LFR
    Month 14+ - Twiddle
    You don't gear up in LFR in 1 month for starters. 5.2 was released on march 5, and I didn't get a full set of 502 LFR/522 items until quite recently. And some people I know are not even there yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ogemaniac View Post
    What I am suggesting is that the LFR's be moved back by a couple months, moving some of that "14+" twiddling to before your first raid.
    There is no twiddling. If anything, drop rates may be a bit on the lower side.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ogemaniac View Post
    I'd also slide the regular raids back a few weeks in order for the middle-of-the-pack players to also enjoy this stretch of the game a little more rather than rushing straight into the raid.
    If anything, a lot of people say normal ToT is overtuned, so delaying it even further with a gear wall may not be the best thing for the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ogemaniac View Post
    I think Blizzard made a huge mistake in the last three expansions in making the time from dinging max level to entering the first raid too short, pretty much neutering the heroic/crafted/rep tier that both lasted forever in TBC but was a ton of fun and offered a lot of play value.
    It offered nothing but pain. I went to Kara without even doing a single heroic instance because my guild need a healer. It was a rough time, but the reward from Kara were ultimately better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ogemaniac View Post
    In WotLK, in contrast, I had three Naxx purples the night I dinged 80, and cleared it within another week or two....and we were a pretty casual guild. Thus, we got bored and stuck with a lot of twiddling and member attrition.
    The problem with Naxx tier was the lack of hard modes. Blizzard made a switch to the casual Naxx level, but "forgot" to include hard modes. And the meta-achieves were not enough. So yes, it led to member attrition, I completely agree. It wasn't until Ulduar that the situation changed.
  1. Zulzulen's Avatar
    Ahhh another thing I forgot that makes me think the new thing may be cross faction is the exchange between the kirin tor and sun reavers at the end of the isle chain along with the talk between xuan , anduin, drezco, and Teran in Xuan's temple. There seems to be a lot of talk about peace and that will really change how the game is played like Blizz said it would.
  1. buddah13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingercrab View Post
    Unlikely. Tom Chilton hinted it would involve old content.

    Q: Ghostcrawler hinted at an unannounced feature in this expansion that is going to really change how WoW is going to be played, much like the LFR feature – can we get a hint on when we might see this feature and what it might pertain to?


    A: We will probably see it in the 5.4 neighborhood if we are able to get it done in time. As far as hints a lot of players in the past have suggested that they be able to do older content so it’s probably something that goes along those lines.
    LFR for lvl 60 raids , lvl 70 raids, lvl 80 raids, or heroic version of old raids?

    that is my guess, you beat me to this tweet, a few blizzcons ago someone asked open mic if the lfr could be used low level, and they said it might be doable, plus something like that would make the game bigger, and then you could cue for say , transmog runs at your level, if its LFR for raid scaling that is huuuuge, molten core would be relevant again, lots of things would be relevant again , sun well , black rock , wow i got tingles

    ---------- Post added 2013-06-02 at 09:27 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post
    The Treasure Room got boring the second or third time around because the only thing which changes are the locations of the large loot chests and even that isn't entirely foolproof either.

    They should have five or six variations or somehow incorporate a random area generator to keep it fresh.
    that and the loot from that treasure room was garbage anyway

Site Navigation