MMO-Champion - Tier 16 Druid and Paladin Sets, 5.3 Jul 3 Hotfixes, Blue Tweets, GW2 Update Frequency
Jason Bender on Creating the Console Version, Tamplier's Epic Fan Art, Curse Weekly Roundup

Announcer Voiceovers, Fireside Chat Tomorrow

Patch 5.4 - Tier 16 Druid and Paladin Sets
Keep in mind this is a preview and the final sets may be significantly different.







Patch 5.3 Hotfixes - July 3
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
Classes
  • Mage
    • Talents
      • Fixed an issue where certain situations could cause Mages to not receive the Invoker's Energy buff after successfully completing an Evocation.

Quests
  • Battle for Razor Hill: Fixed an issue where players were becoming stuck because the Zulu Rock buff was not being removed when the player dies.
  • Mogu Incursions: Master Snowdrift should no longer be engaging in combat with Shan'ze Invaders, allowing players to turn-in the quest.

Raids, Dungeons, and Scenarios
  • Throne of Thunder
    • Ra-den
      • Fixed an issue where Protection Warriors are unable to receive bonus loot upon defeating Ra-den.
  • Scenarios
    • Blood in the Snow: General chat has been temporarily removed from the scenario to fix an issue affecting General chat in Dun Morogh. A proper fix for this is in the works in an upcoming patch.

Isle of Thunder
  • Made additional fixes for an issue where players may be unable summon incantation bosses.

Blue Tweets
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Character / Items
Any reason the Valor of Ancients buff isn't cross realm, The rep bonus is but alts would find this a very welcome change.
It's a difficult technical challenge having to do with e.g. raids unlocking at different times. (Source)

I realize you didnt design the tier 16s, but I was hoping warriors would look like Garrosh not a paladin with horns sewn on.
I used to weigh in more on player feedback of art sets, but it turns out art is just sooo subjective. (Source)
The best thing I can suggest is maybe just feedback on armor themes you'd like to see (e.g. Your Garrosh example). (Source)

In this blog, you said legendaries would be more exclusive than in Cata. Why make them more accessible?
With the current legendary quest, everyone can have the expectation of getting them so it's fine. (Source)
yet.... they aren't "legendary" any more. people are expecting too much for nothing.
Another reason why they aren't weapons. Our grand plan will likely make more sense closer to 5.4 ship. (Source)

it disapp. me that now there's a leg. for everyone and it's a cloak thats shaped like a towel and clips models. Why no weapon?
We feel like we've done that a lot before. We want to keep things fresh. When rewards are too predictable they get boring. (Source)
These are a pretty different design than Fangs / Wrath. The problem with those was the expectation / entitlement. (Source)
When there is too much expectation, the item goes from feeling like a bonus to a penalty. (Source)

I am thoroughly disappointed with the legendary being a cloak. All of this work throughout the xpac and we don't use it again.
What do you mean by "don't use it again?" (Source)
These cloak models are pretty much standard fare, don't stand out from normal gear. Most people will hide them
The cloaks aren't intended to compete with glaives though. Wouldn't glaives be less special if everyone was rocking them? (Source)

Please make the questline cloaks non-unique. I'd love one for my offspec, just like I could get offspec gems.
We're still discussing it, but it's on the table for sure. (Source)

Any chance of with all the changes bring brought in, cross-faction flex raids might be a possibility? Or dungeons.. anything?
We feel like cross-faction goes against the spirit of World of Warcraft. (Source)

PLZ let us do flex w/ <10. Scaling floor can still be 10. Current challenge for our small guild is just getting 10 online.
Understood, but we have to draw the line somewhere. If we say 8 then the guilds with 4 will feel excluded, yanno? (Source)

Trying to understand self-loot in Flex. If they're our FRIENDS, why would we be so distrustful? Prefer normal loot rules.
It is mostly because we don't have a system yet to scale number of drops with number of players. Maybe in the future. (Source)

is there any chance to avoid drops at 10man that doesnt fit to anybody in raid? Like: "no rogues" then "no dagger(agi)"
What if you then stacked 8 rogues to make sure your real rogue had a good chance at a dagger? (Source)
Thats not what he is saying at all what he is saying it eliminated the chance at something if there is none not visa versa.
They are the same. If I can force loot not to drop then I can force it to drop. At the end of the day it comes down to loot speed. (Source)
We have a target for how long it takes to earn loot. If we speed it up in some ways, we'd just have to slow it down in others. (Source)

Is the game balanced around raid loot priority Tank > Healer > DPS? Discussing loot system in my guild ATM.
No. We have found that guilds use wildly different methods for determining loot. (Source)
You can also make the argument that gearing DPS before healers improves success. Shrug. (Source)

Any idea how you will deal with Rune of Reorigination and UVLS? Seem irreplaceable for some, even w/o seeing new trinkets yet.
Would that be the end of the world? (Source)

Professions
Just need to work on ligistics, archaelogy failed horribly in moving from one dig to another. They don`t put you in the world
Archaeology had too much travel time at launch. I think it feels better in MoP. (Source)

Reputation / Questing
Any chance we will see a return to the daily style of 5.1? That was by far your best imo. Scenarios, story, felt progressive.
We were getting a lot of negative feedback about daily quests at the time so we wanted to try something else for 5.3 and 5.4. (Source)

Guild Wars 2 Content Release Frequency
There were a round of interviews with some of the ArenaNet developers recently, and it appears that it isn't only WoW players that want content faster. Currently GW2 gets some sort of an update every 3 weeks or so, with the Bazaar of the Four Winds update coming next.

ArenaNet is now aiming for content updates every two weeks going forward.The developers that work on these updates are split into four teams that are each working on their own update, allowing for enough time to properly test and catch many of the issues that arise from rapid development and frequent patches.

Another interesting point that came up in the interviews is the lack of planned expansions. Rather than adding expansions to the game, the current plan is to continue with the Living World concept and just keep adding new content every few weeks. This content development is funded by purchases in the in game Gem Store, which amounts to enough to keep the team of over 300 developers going strong. The game has sold 3 million copies as of January this year though, so ongoing sales likely play a role in this funding as well.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Tier 16 Druid and Paladin Sets, 5.3 Jul 3 Hotfixes, Blue Tweets, GW2 Update Frequency started by chaud View original post
Comments 57 Comments
  1. Awe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    Strong? There are 6-8 servers in GW2 with healthy populations, the rest of the servers are dead. By dead I mean you won't see more than 30-40 players period. Try leveling a new character, you will see no one in low level zones, for a game that is not even a year old that is pretty terrible.

    In terms of actual data, they have lost anywhere from 80% to 90% of player activity since launch per Xfire. Website traffic to sites like Guildwars2.com and GuildWars2Guru have dropped 80% since launch. Per Raptr, GW2 is on par with SWTOR in terms of hours played (and SWTOR is supposed to be a "failure"). The traffic of /r/guildwars2 has also dropped 70% to 80% since launch. Again, all these various sources show a 70% to 90% drop in players.

    Now this is not unique to GW2, many MMOs come out have a peak during launch and fizzle. GW2 also followed the same route, it is just like every other MMO out there. It is not special it was not "more successful". Today it is on par with SWTOR. But the future isn't so bright. NCSoft is putting all their money behind WildStar, so don't expect any big expansions from GW2. At least not while WildStar is around and popular. That is the reason Mike told players not to expect an expansion, the game doesn't have NCSoft's attention.
    It is funny how you manipulate your evidence. Some proponents of GW2 (or any other game as a matter of fact) may do this but you are no better. Website data does not translate to game activity. It might indicate a trend and yes, that is a fact that GW2 lost a lot of players compared to the launch month. But so did every other major MMO with two exceptions, WoW and EVE Online (but the second one being a niche game). That does not make all those games failures or dead titles. If you would use such line of judgement, than pretty much every online game apart from WoW, LoL and CoD is a failure. Going back to your website statistics. I visit MMO Champ more often than GW2 website and I dont play WoW since quite some time while I play GW2 almost every day till now. When GW2 launched I visited their website several times each day. Now I do that much less often. So according to you I should be an example of someone who plays WoW atm. Which is not the case.

    You mention Xfire stats but only in terms of activity loss. Why not compare activity of WoW from MoP launch month to current one? You also mention Raptr stats where you indicate that GW2 and SWTOR has similar hours played stats yet you completly ignore the fact that SWTOR has been out for 19 months and GW2 for 10 months. That puts GW2 with almost double stats compared to SWTOR, not bad considering with how strong franchise brand SWTOR started out.

    You claim that all but 6-8 servers are dead. I cant refute this becouse I dont have a character on every server. In this regard I can only provide anecdotal evidence about my server and I can say that the population is quite healthy. I see around much more people than I seen in WoW before the CRZ implementation. After that I would say they were pretty much comparable. But since I mention that. Do you have a character/account on every server? Do you transfer every month? If not, where do you pull your evidence from?

    In the end, it does not matter which game is "better". It is all in the eye of the beholder. I spent my fair share of time in WoW. I will always respect this game. But right now I personally prefer GW2 and prefer to play it rather than WoW. And guess what, GW2 is not dying nor is dead. Same as SWTOR, same as Rift. The game will only be dead once the servers will shut-down as happened in cases of SWG or Tabula Rasa. Before this happens, none of those games are dead or something that "nobody cares about". And to please a bit the ego of WoW players, despite some subscriber losses in recent months, WoW is not dead nor dying as well. I hope you will all be able to enjoy your game for years to come without trying to prove to anyone who plays something else that all other games are worth sh** compared the only title that matters.
  1. Sharuko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    It is funny how you manipulate your evidence. S

    And guess what, GW2 is not dying nor is dead. Same as SWTOR, same as Rift. The game will only be dead once the servers will shut-down as happened in cases of SWG or Tabula Rasa.
    No manipulation here, it is all facts. GW2 is pretty much done for. I mean if you look at their sPvP servers there are like 300 people across all server during Primetime. Yes, just 300 people in sPvP. That is pretty terrible.

    I agree with you, GW2 is SWTOR tier. They probably have similar populations. It isn't "dead", but it is pretty much done once WildStar comes out and NCSoft treats it like the red headed step child that it is. Which is why the post by MMOChampion says there won't be big expansions, there won't be funding.
  1. orangelemonrain's Avatar
    Although I'm not a fan of the 5.4 sets I have to admit they are good for what they are supposed to be. They all have a similar theme and they all look very mogu like when you look at the finer details on the armour.
  1. Cky2chris's Avatar
    Yay...paladin looks awesome and warrior set looks ugly as crap.
  1. Awe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    No manipulation here, it is all facts. GW2 is pretty much done for. I mean if you look at their sPvP servers there are like 300 people across all server during Primetime. Yes, just 300 people in sPvP. That is pretty terrible.

    I agree with you, GW2 is SWTOR tier. They probably have similar populations. It isn't "dead", but it is pretty much done once WildStar comes out and NCSoft treats it like the red headed step child that it is. Which is why the post by MMOChampion says there won't be big expansions, there won't be funding.
    What facts? I think I replied to you before about most of your "facts" but you decided to conviently not read it. If you want to stand by your word, respond to that instead of saying "its all facts". Your "facts" are worth same *** as "facts" of some doomsayers around here who claim WoW will die in 6 months.

    GW2 same tier as SWTOR? Maybe. I dont know. I played SWTOR for 2 months only and then I left. What turned me away mostly was terrible game engine. WoW has great engine but its also terribly old. IMO GW2 is the only major MMO with combat/gameplay smoothness on same level as WoW. GW2 is not on same activity levels as WoW but if you call it "done for" than I dont know what other MMO is not "done for" at the moment. Unless you try to imply that there is WoW and only WoW and nothing else matters. If that is the case, sorry, but after spending close to 10,000 hours in WoW I have enough.

    Also "there won't be big expansions" is yet another of those magical "facts". If you would be so informed as you claim you are you would know that the "big expansion" for GW2 can go either way as there were multiple conflicting voices from both ANet and NCSoft on this matter. It was said in NCSoft shareholders release that the expansion is already in production. While folks in Anet said conflicting things about it. From straight "there wont be" through "no plans as for now" to "possible in the future". Its all a corporate PR bull***.

    And another example of how you manipulate. You ignore the fact that ANet is pushing to release new content every 2 weeks (becouse, well, that does not sound like a dead game so better ignore it) instead you nitpick a quote about "no big expansion" and extrapolate that to "this game is done for". Any more creative "facts" on the way?

    Oh and. About that 300. What exactly is that "sPvP server" you refer to? Are you aware that there are no dedicated PvP servers in GW2? Also, where are you pulling that 300 number from? ANet didnt released any statistics so far. Or are you trying to do the same thing as people who calculate entire WoW population based on stats on WoWProgress main page?
  1. Karizee's Avatar
    Took this at 9:30pm tonight. Looks pretty damn lively to me

    http://i.imgur.com/5PpF4bO.jpg

    GW2 isn't going anywhere.
  1. lyxx's Avatar
    Why such hatred against GW2 ? As customers we should be happy abut diversity in MMO genre - after all it's MMO-Champion - maybe site was WoW-centric past last few years but even they know WoW wont last forever - so more news from other MMO titles plix - constant wow news are boring as f..k.
  1. dragnipur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    Although I'm not a fan of the 5.4 sets I have to admit they are good for what they are supposed to be. They all have a similar theme and they all look very mogu like when you look at the finer details on the armour.
    You are wrong on so many points.Neither GW2 or GW1 will be dead or done for.They both are played and will be played.The model Anet is using works just fine.Their servers are healthy and the game is doing more than fine.Yes it lost some of its player base but those players that liked it have stayed and the B2P model will ensure that new players will come.
    Also keep in mind that GW2 still hasn't been released in China and Korea.And in those two countries WoW's player base is big.What do you think will happen if you cut the Blazzard's Asia market and released it only in the western countries just like GW2 did?WoW's player base will be reduced with 1/3 minimum.When GW2 is released in the east too it should grow.
  1. Monteverdi's Avatar
    that pally set is growing on me
  1. Vesci's Avatar
    I left WoW for GW2. It took them some time to get GW2's controls where they were good enough to consider the switch, but they're there now. It's a game that actually has challenging content and being out in the world means something. It's not perfect, but then what about WoW was ever perfect. One thing for sure, I don't miss paying $15 a month. Especially with the directions WoW has taken in Cata and MoP. I can honestly say I don't miss WoW and I'll never pay that much to play a game ever again.
  1. Maarius's Avatar
    so I won't have to buy new content via expansions because they implement those features in the 2-weekly living story updates?! New maps, new weapons (=skills), new races... Then we get awesome rewards for our achievement points also in 2 days (see below some examples) + the best temporary stuff comes back in fractals (time-machine dungeon)

    it seriously gets better and better







    - - - Updated - - -

    the community, the best part of GW2, is awesome; only possible in a game which is designed to be cooperative nonstop

    also the things the community comes up with...
  1. Celista's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark Son View Post
    Damn, that druid set is one of the ugliest I've seen, if not the ugliest, the paladin set is alright.
    Haha yeah that was my first thought too. The blue version wouldn't have been bad if it wasn't for the face part of the helm, looks like a reskin from the plate MoP leveling gear (and not a very good reskin either).

    Paladin red/orange set isn't too bad, it's growing on me.
  1. kabookiejoez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesci View Post
    I left WoW for GW2. It took them some time to get GW2's controls where they were good enough to consider the switch, but they're there now. It's a game that actually has challenging content and being out in the world means something. It's not perfect, but then what about WoW was ever perfect. One thing for sure, I don't miss paying $15 a month. Especially with the directions WoW has taken in Cata and MoP. I can honestly say I don't miss WoW and I'll never pay that much to play a game ever again.

    I gave gw2 a few goes, but i found it rather stale.
  1. Maarius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    I gave gw2 a few goes, but i found it rather stale.
    me on the other hand, I've played GW2 since release without break and I can't go back to other mmos anymore
  1. Karizee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    In terms of actual data, they have lost anywhere from 80% to 90% of player activity since launch per Xfire.
    You do not want to be trotting out xfire numbers.


    WoW July 2009 - 24 million minutes played
    http://web.archive.org/web/200907230...www.xfire.com/

    WoW today - less than 1 million minutes played
    http://www.xfire.com/games

    Unless you are willing to say that WoW has lost 97% of its playerbase in the last 4 years you can clearly see that people do not use that site anymore. People use Mumble, Teamspeak, Ventrilo and Skype.
  1. Vesci's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    I gave gw2 a few goes, but i found it rather stale.
    I did too last August. I checked back over the months as patches came in. Things slowly changed and then one day several weeks ago they implemented control fixes, optimizations and most recently balance changes. The game really is much better now than it was at launch, or I wouldn't be playing it. PvP has finally gathered interest with the balance changes, WvW was always popular, but with the new systems its received is even more so. Dungeons take time to learn, they're different, but once you L2P they're enjoyable.

    Something a lot of WoW people wont like is that you WILL die. A lot. It's harder than WoW in every part of the game except heroic raiding. If you like heroic raiding, you'll appreciate the challenges of GW2 world, dungeons and upcoming content. If you like the world in WoW, oneshotting everything you'll probably be frustrated and on your back a lot. World bosses are boring and easy though, but they're a reliable source of income and gear so while disappointing it's easier to accept when you're getting paid.
  1. Rodeith's Avatar
    Where is the leather in the Druid set?

    This looks more like mail. Not that I would like to say that it is a Shaman set because it doesn't even feel like that... perhaps some kind of blue value pvp set.

Site Navigation