MMO-Champion - WoW Down to 7.7 Million Subscribers, Activision Blizzard Purchases Vivendi's Shares
Forge Livestream Tomorrow, Fireside Chat #6 - Hunters, Forge, Art Contest

WoW Down to 7.7 Million Subscribers
Activision Blizzard's press release states that World of Warcraft is down to 7.7 million subscribers. This is a loss of 600,000 subscribers, down from 8.3 million last quarter. A call about the shares purchase will take place on July 26 at 8:30 AM ET, so check back then for any more comments on subscriber numbers. The regular earnings call will take place on Thursday, August 2nd.


Activision Blizzard Purchases Shares From Vivendi
Activision Blizzard is purchasing 429 million shares from Vivendi for $5.8 billion. This purchase is financed with $1.2 billion of cash that was on hand and $4.6 billion of debt proceeds, leaving them with a $1.4 billion of net debt at the end of the deal in September 2013.

An investment group that includes Bobby Kotick and Brian Kelly, who put up $100 million together, as well as Tencent and other partners is purchasing 172 million shares for $2.3 billion. This group will own 24.9% of the company and Vivendi will retain ownership of 83 million shares (12%) of the company.
This article was originally published in forum thread: WoW Down to 7.7 Million Subscribers, Activision Blizzard Purchases Vivendi's Shares started by chaud View original post
Comments 447 Comments
  1. lordzed83's Avatar
    heh does not look good :/
  1. lazzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tails View Post
    They are not rewarding in a traditional way, but they are harder than things that actually reward gear. But I wouldn't say "Let's make Brawler's give out ilvl 540 loot when you reach rank 10". The best loot should always come from group activities in WOW, not the hardest activity. But Brawler could give out at least some loot even if not BIS. That may be true, but that still doesn't have much to do with game losing subs since in any case the percentage of people doing hard stuff in this game is really low.
    No shit low percentage of people do hard content. You DON'T have to do it anymore lol.....

    I don't even get your argument. I did hard content in Vanilla and BC i stopped in LK because you don't have to anymore. You used to HAVE to do hard content to get through the game now its optional. That's the problem.

    People don't care to do Heroic raiding Vs LFR because LFR is easier and you get to see the same shit. The entire point of getting good gear before Cata (LFR) was because you needed it to progresses to see the next tier of bosses. You don't need to do this anymore.

    If everyone is doing the "easy" way to see all the content you can seriously be done with every patch in 3-5 hours. That's the problem.
  1. Synbaby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
    Based on the changes to the Blizzard Store that are proposed, I can see it within a year.
    I have to lol every time I read people who are calling out for f2p WoW. It is NOT going to happen at this point when they are still making money from subs.

    What we will start seeing though, is more and more vanity items(pets, mounts, EXP boosts) in the blizzard store, because those do sell. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually add full armor sets for transmog. If anyone here has played rift lately, and seen their in-game store, you know what I am talking about.

    The other thing blizzard really need to do is merge some lower populated servers. Offering free server transfers has never really worked. Why would anyone move to a low pop server, when you can stay on an over-populated server, and have no problems pugging raids or killing world bosses. *I should know, I'm on Illidan server, and no one really transfers off when there are free transfers.
  1. Aceofblood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lazzy View Post
    No shit low percentage of people do hard content. You DON'T have to do it anymore lol.....

    I don't even get your argument. I did hard content in Vanilla and BC i stopped in LK because you don't have to anymore. You used to HAVE to do hard content to get through the game now its optional. That's the problem.

    People don't care to do Heroic raiding Vs LFR because LFR is easier and you get to see the same shit. The entire point of getting good gear before Cata (LFR) was because you needed it to progresses to see the next tier of bosses. You don't need to do this anymore.

    If everyone is doing the "easy" way to see all the content you can seriously be done with every patch in 3-5 hours. That's the problem.
    I kinda agree with this. Most of the excitement of new bosses and seeing more of a raid is ruined because u just see it in LFR then do harder version later. In Vanilla and BC I'd get soo stoked that we downed a boss and finally can try another whole new one, Getting attuned to Hyjal and BT was one of these huge moments of excitement since it took MONTHS of preparation and gear and finally getting that last boss down to enter there. Every guild kinda progressed at their own lvl too, when u fully cleared a tier there was another tier already waiting! BT patch came out before even a single guild in the world could even do BT! It wasn't til like a week later that a guild could even enter black temple.
    Blizzard says people complained they couldn't see all content and such but it kept people pushing and trying to get to the next boss. Besides the original, BC and wrath is where all the Subs capped, before all this LFR and queing for dungeons.
  1. GhostShaman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulgrim View Post
    I don't think this will change anything. Now, Blizzard splitting from Activison? That's something I would love to see.
    Its just one less parent company breathing down their necks. Honestly without Vivendi looming over, it could give Acti-Blizzard more creative control of how they want to do things. I think its pretty awesome myself that they are slowly buying themselves back.
  1. Sainur's Avatar
    Haha. All I can do is laugh and smile.

    Blizzard only have themselves to blame. Down to 7.7 million subs... 600.000 people lost. Anyone that's still saying that "it isn't much" is an utter retard. Cause, you know, 600,000 people is a lot of people. When MoP launched, I remember people saying that WoW had 10+ million players and that 10+ million pandas were created on the first day. Bla bla bla. And look at your precious game now. At least 3 million people have stopped playing, a miracle needs to happen if WoW ever manages to get over the magical 10+ million subscribers again.

    I've played WoW for a long time, decided to gave it a break in patch 4.3 cause it sucked shit. I re-subbed at the start of MoP, gave it a chance again. Played that for a while, but I can finally say now that my WoW chapter has ended.
  1. Tails's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lazzy View Post
    No shit low percentage of people do hard content. You DON'T have to do it anymore lol.....

    I don't even get your argument. I did hard content in Vanilla and BC i stopped in LK because you don't have to anymore. You used to HAVE to do hard content to get through the game now its optional. That's the problem.

    People don't care to do Heroic raiding Vs LFR because LFR is easier and you get to see the same shit. The entire point of getting good gear before Cata (LFR) was because you needed it to progresses to see the next tier of bosses. You don't need to do this anymore.

    If everyone is doing the "easy" way to see all the content you can seriously be done with every patch in 3-5 hours. That's the problem.
    I disagree. People who used to raid regular/heroic content still do. I don't, but that's not because of LFR. I stopped raiding due to time concerns at the start of Cata and when I do LFR, I don't count that as raiding, since you spend an hour a week and that's it. There's no progress, no wiping, no preparation etc. That's just a long heroic dungeon for me. So right now what you have is more people seeing the raids but around the same people actually doing heroic / normal. If less and less people are raiding the normal and heroic stuff due to LFR, I'd be surprised.

    And I don't understand your argument either. What do you mean by "get through the game"? Most people who play wow never raid, not even LFR. They still get through the remaining content just fine. They always could.
  1. JookyJam's Avatar
    yeah but from the numbers thats 2 mil from 4th qtr 2012 - 2nd qtr 2013 ...Thats a big drop in 6 months my friend
  1. pfbe's Avatar
    Daaaamn, we're actually under 2006 (Q4) sub numbers, which was still vanilla - BC was released Jan 2007.
  1. Zaqwert's Avatar
    The graph

  1. Adonael's Avatar
    can't get any lower than that ;P

    next expansion will raise the numbers ( if it's the Burning Legion one)
  1. mefii's Avatar
    just wait until blizzard blue tweet "... all LFR and FLEX (RELAX) Raid has been removed from game..." + 1-2 milion subscrips up
  1. Razorice's Avatar
    Well... I don't give a rats ass if wow is dying or not.
  1. pfbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    Well... I don't give a rats ass if wow is dying or not.
    but how could WoW even be dying when they're adding new battle pets every other day? People are obviously quitting because not enough battle pets. I can't wait for 25-man pet-battle raiding.

    I'm bitter about the waste of resources over pokemon, and it shows. But this whole debacle started when they got a whiff of those "social networking" dollars.
  1. Ethas's Avatar
    The result of 25 man serious raiding death. You have been warned, Blizzard.. =(
    Now give those casuals 5-man raids and you will see more people leaving.
  1. ElDoorO's Avatar
    I'm certain my opinion will just be a drop in an ocean and will be either ignored or attacked.

    Warlocks. I started to like the class this expansion and it feels like nerf, nerf, nerf. Their talent seems incapable of foresight.
    Monks. Seemed like a cool deal. They seem mediocre at best. A few things I could rock the world with.. but we aren't anything special. Their talent seems incapable of figuring out the balance.
    Warrior. I was gearing up as a tank FC. Then the nerf. Frustrating. A heads up or a refund would have been nice.

    Multi-spec. I don't see a problem with it. I'm not interested in staying BM/MW on my monk and having to redo my action bars every time I want to play WW to jack around. No thanks.

    I started in Wrath about 6 months before ICC came out. I'm what the vanilla players refer to as a "Wrath baby" -- and I assure you, it's not associated as a lovingly tone. Perhaps this game simply isn't for me anymore -- so I unsubscribed.

    I've been playing more SC2. It seems their talented developers are capable of handling a strong balance. I'm not a great player in SC2 and I have no plans on investing the same amount of time that I put in to WoW -- after my experience of the WoW developers talent's failures... I just have no interest in it anymore.
  1. illfindu0742's Avatar
    I don't think they sky is falling or WOW is dead but I do think its time for people to admit SOME THING is wrong. These random posts that say "Here we go now everyone things WOW is dead" are starting to seem like they have blinders. A game this big wouldn't die overnight and I don't think it's going anywhere any time soon. But WOW is sick one way or another how many consecutive losses do we need?
  1. Sanction's Avatar
    still no merged servers. fuck you blizzard.
  1. trauma443's Avatar
    Denial
    Anger
    Bargaining
    Depression
    Acceptance

    ...

    Kübler-Ross was a wise woman.
  1. Robert3620's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanction View Post
    still no merged servers. fuck you blizzard.
    That's the thing that has pissed me off as well and what's leading me to not re sub when my sub runs out on August 15. Leaving people stuck on dead servers is bs. Blizzard should of either merged servers or offered free transfers off of them long ago.

Site Navigation