MMO-Champion - Diablo 3's next expansion is named "Reaper of Souls"?
Questions for the Devs, BNet Client Beta, 5.4 on BG Downloader, S13 Ending Soon, DLC Comic

Diablo 3's next expansion is named "Reaper of Souls"?
Well we can definitely say the past few hours have been interesting. After uncovering the trademarking of The Dark Below yesterday, it looks like the teaser for the next Diablo 3 expansion just went live.


According to the official website "Reaper of Souls" is a trademark and linked to Diablo 3, with Gamescom coming up next week it wouldn't be surprising to see the expansion for Diablo 3 announced there.

More importantly, it rules out The Dark Below as the next Diablo 3 expansion and makes things a lot more interesting suddenly.
This article was originally published in forum thread: Diablo 3's next expansion is named "Reaper of Souls"? started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 178 Comments
  1. Hobb's Avatar
    If "The Dark Below" does turn out to be the next WoW expansion it sounds like it will have something to do with the old gods. Also another thing not mentioned is it could be the next Starcraft expansion.
  1. Urza29's Avatar
    couldnt really be a new starcraft expansion as the 3rd expansion for starcraft is already ready to go, the protoss campain, and that was announced years ago, so for another starcraft expansion it would be way to long in the future to even see it, as we first have to wait for protoss one, looking at next year maybe, and then a 2 year ish game cycle at least before another expansion is even announced

    Look heart of the swarm its still going strong, and it came out this year, got probably another year at least before we even get protoss one announced.
  1. Unholyground's Avatar
    As long as they add my Shaman tanking spec I care not what the expansion is about.
  1. The Illusive Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    If "The Dark Below" does turn out to be the next WoW expansion it sounds like it will have something to do with the old gods. Also another thing not mentioned is it could be the next Starcraft expansion.
    Ever heard of "Legacy of the Void"? That´s the next Starcraft expansion and it has been announced years ago.
  1. Lykken's Avatar
    I said it before, I will say it again, Sargares is back with the Burning Legion, in the "The Dark Bellow" ... and it will have something to do with the Old Gods imprisoned in the Earth of Azeroth.
  1. MarcosTN Draedarr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    The boss is almost certainly going to be Malthael, the Angel of Wisdom, who has disappeared. He was once believed to be the angel of death. In the books, it's been revealed that when Malthael speaks, his voice instills a feeling of utter dread and death.

    This seems to clear the way for the 2nd Diablo 3 expansion to be about Inarius and Lilith, which would be a fitting conclusion as Blizzard has previously revealed that Diablo 3 is planned to close the story.

    If The Dark Below does refer to the next WoW expansion, then that would be contrary to speculation and the setup in the MoP story pointing to the next expansion being about Argus and the Burning Legion. It would seem to imply that The Dark Below will be the Azshara/N'zoth/Neptulon/South Seas expansion.

    If they take this phrase of the RPG as canon, we can use this to imply the involvement of the Burning Legion, in the next expansion, the Burdens of Shaohao also implies this, explaining throught the point of view of the Pandarens The Sundering.

    "The Dark Below is a place inhabited by demons, devils and infernal creatures, from where some sorcerers take their power directly and sometimes have a patron beast to foster their magic."

    I'd think it is referring the Twisting Nether.
    But anything is possible, maybe even the expansion begining in Azeroth and them we going elsewhere.
  1. Unholyground's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcosTN Draedarr View Post
    If they take this phrase of the RPG as canon, we can use this to imply the involvement of the Burning Legion, in the next expansion, the Burdens of Shaohao also implies this, explaining throught the point of view of the Pandarens The Sundering.

    "The Dark Below is a place inhabited by demons, devils and infernal creatures, from where some sorcerers take their power directly and sometimes have a patron beast to foster their magic."

    I'd think it is referring the Twisting Nether.
    But anything is possible, maybe even the expansion begining in Azeroth and them we going elsewhere.
    I would have to agree, I think this expansion may be a 2 part story arc. It would make the most sense. I also have a feeling when Garrosh is defeated all the Sha will form into their whole self.
  1. Ronnosh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    If "The Dark Below" does turn out to be the next WoW expansion it sounds like it will have something to do with the old gods. Also another thing not mentioned is it could be the next Starcraft expansion.
    Except that it's been mostly common knowledge for some time that the third and final expansion for Starcraft is to be titles "Legacy of the Void."

    So between that and "Reaper of Souls" all but confirmed as D3's first expansion, there's not really much room left to speculate what "The Dark Below" could be.
  1. Daralii's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    If indeed the next expansion IS Azshara/N'zoth themed...

    It would have been nice for us to take a freakin' brake from all the "omgwtfbbq old gods!!!11!" stuff in WoW that we've been dealing with for three expansions in a row. Get off of Azeroth for a bit, stretch our legs...

    If anything, it's just going to prolong Wrathion flustering about the Burning Legion, unless, all of a sudden, the burning legion just simply becomes "not a threat" for whatever reason when Wrathion chocked their incursion up to being this huge, looming disaster.

    I mean, it'd be like us killing Halion and dealing with the Twilight's hammer in WotLK as this major plot point... and then proceed to have us bum around on Pandaria for an expansion... and THEN have Deathwing up and destroy everything a couple years afterwards.
    Wrathion's prediction is that the Legion invades, and I'm willing to bet that Dark Below would end with Azshara bringing her old boyfriend back for a visit.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcosTN Draedarr View Post
    If they take this phrase of the RPG as canon, we can use this to imply the involvement of the Burning Legion, in the next expansion, the Burdens of Shaohao also implies this, explaining throught the point of view of the Pandarens The Sundering.

    "The Dark Below is a place inhabited by demons, devils and infernal creatures, from where some sorcerers take their power directly and sometimes have a patron beast to foster their magic."

    I'd think it is referring the Twisting Nether.
    But anything is possible, maybe even the expansion begining in Azeroth and them we going elsewhere.
    That's strictly from the RPG, which as of 2011 is non-canon. The only direct reference to it in canon is Ozumat's title.
  1. lakhesis's Avatar
    So I wonder what we'll find Under Orgrimmar then?
  1. Ronnosh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    The boss is almost certainly going to be Malthael, the Angel of Wisdom, who has disappeared. He was once believed to be the angel of death. In the books, it's been revealed that when Malthael speaks, his voice instills a feeling of utter dread and death.
    My personal speculations on "Reaper of Souls."

    Malthael will indeed be the primary antagonist as many have been speculating.
    -Having fallen prey to his own despair from his inability to fathom the Worldstone's destruction, Malthael has become completely detached from everything and everyone around him.
    -Malthael's detached observations of the latest events have led him to conclude that the Heavens and Hells will always be inextricably connected and, if evil cannot exist without good, then neither must continue to exist and deems the "wisest" choice would be to undo all of creation.
    -Malthael will come in possession of the Black Soulstone and use it to further his cause.
    -Imperius will initially side with Malthael under the belief that the latter's aims are solely to destroy the Nephalem "aberration" and the world of Sanctuary. He will ultimately be betrayed.
    -Ithereal will die at Malthael's hand. Quoting the Prophecy of the End of Days "Death, at last, shall spread its wings over all-- as Fate lies shattered forever. Ithereal is the possessor of the Scroll of Fate and is the only one capable of deciphering and reading it. Malthael may likely see see the scroll as key to his objective of undoing creation and will bind Ithereal's essence to the Black Soulstone.
    -Malthael, empowered by a soulstone holding both demons and archangels, will officially transform himself into the Angel of Death in the most glorious CGI short seen to date.
  1. ShadowForge's Avatar
    why make an expansion for one of the worst blizzard games ever made even diablo fans hate d3 so why make this
  1. Hircine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by warcraftmew View Post
    why make an expansion for one of the worst blizzard games ever made even diablo fans hate d3 so why make this
    For me D3 was the biggest disappointment, ever, at least as far as gaming goes, but it can be 'fixed' - so I say give Blizzard another chance.
  1. Daralii's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by warcraftmew View Post
    why make an expansion for one of the worst blizzard games ever made even diablo fans hate d3 so why make this
    Because people said the same things about D2 before LoD.
  1. MarcosTN Draedarr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I would have to agree, I think this expansion may be a 2 part story arc. It would make the most sense. I also have a feeling when Garrosh is defeated all the Sha will form into their whole self.
    Yep, this is what i was thinking that could happen, The Seven Sha all defeated could trigger the return of Y’shaarj, as Blizzard has been implying forever that you cannot actually kill an old god.

    Yes Daralii, but what if they start taking it again as canon. I remember reading an interview with Metzen, where he said: "Some things of the books and RPG are more canon than others" (Don't remember the exact words, but he said pretty much this (correct me if i am wrong ).
  1. Seasz's Avatar
    holy mother of god plz dont let them release an expansion for diablo 3

    [2]
  1. MarcosTN Draedarr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    Because people said the same things about D2 before LoD.
    Yes, D2 was not so awesome back in '99, it was worse than the actual D3, as some friends have told me, and they improved the game with the expansion LoD, they can do it again with the D3 expansion (I myself have loved the game, the story could be better of course, but they have maintained the spirit of the game, at least part of it).
  1. rs10's Avatar
    Hype hype yes thanks !
  1. Ronnosh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcosTN Draedarr View Post
    Yes, D2 was not so awesome back in '99, it was worse than the actual D3, as some friends have told me, and they improved the game with the expansion LoD, they can do it again with the D3 expansion (I myself have loved the game, the story could be better of course, but they have maintained the spirit of the game, at least part of it).
    Agreed. D2 was shit and nowhere as fun before LoD was release. I personally enjoy D3 and, while the game has made many improvements since belly-flopping into live play a little over a year ago, I can't still can't help but hope that Reaper of Souls will do for D3 what Lord of Destruction did for D2.
  1. g01851's Avatar
    I hope Blizzard decided to play games with us and it's all a fake

Site Navigation