MMO-Champion - Warcraft Movie Release - December 18, 2015
Blizzcon 2013 In-Game Goodies Announced

Warcraft Movie Release - December 18, 2015
It looks like we will see the Warcraft Movie in 2015! For now, only people that were at Comic-Con have seen a tease of what is to come.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Warcraft Movie Release - December 18, 2015 started by chaud View original post
Comments 217 Comments
  1. atrixx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    If this is going to be live action, i'll never watch it... not even if someone gives me 100 dollars. Blizzard held off from doing this because everytime they'd meet with some director or producer... they could never get what they wanted. Blizzard didn't want to risk ruining their game with a movie... but now that the game is declining, a mediocre movie or even bad... won't really damage WoW. People need to realize, this is a warcraft movie, not World of Warcraft. Most of the lore will be from the comics and original warcraft series. I hope they do it in order and not just do their biggest story... if it's all about Arthas, then I won't expect a sequel... and even if they do create a sequel, it'll be a worse story since their biggest one is arthas.

    Here's my expectations... they film the movie w/ their animation shit... every cinematic that blizzard has put out, has looked phenomenal, there's absolutely no reason to try and go live action when you can make amazing animated cinematics. Secondly, it has to follow the warcraft lore/books in chronological order. If they just follow those 2 easy steps... i can only imagine that the movie will be amazing... assuming they hire the correct staff.
    It was gong to be live action since day one with CGI...just like LoTR/Hobbit and every other fantasy film. Outside of that I agree with your points. The best option is to go back and start with the story line during the original Warcraft series. It is was the more money filled generation is familiar with. I would say you could also draw a very weak argument that WOW's decline started when Arthas was killed. Yes numbers were up in Cata but then the bottom fell out. There is a lot of good stories out there in the pre-WOW lore that Legendary can pull from to create a very good cinematic series. We'll see how this works out. The Warcraft IP is very rich. If it is done right Legendary can make a lot of money off of it.
  1. anyaka21's Avatar
    seems like a waste. By then WoW might just be a memory for most people. Hopefully, they'll have some kind of launch planned to go along with the movie.
  1. atrixx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    seems like a waste. By then WoW might just be a memory for most people. Hopefully, they'll have some kind of launch planned to go along with the movie.
    95% of the people that will go to see it don't/won't care about WOW.
  1. Laylriana's Avatar
    Don't you think they are planning on a trilogy at least? So the story will be something that will be concluded over 3 movies. Also, I can imagine the people standing in line to go in on opening day, many dressed in WOW costumes.
  1. david0925's Avatar
    all they have to do is put a code on the tickets that give you a free epic or even legendary and the sales will explode.
  1. finskee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atrixx View Post
    One thing that I think will disappoint many around here...it is *not* "World of Warcraft: The Movie". It is "Warcraft". A lot of kids these days seem to forget the Warcraft universe is bigger than WOW. It has been around for 20 years. It is no more accurate call it a WOW movie than calling a WC3 movie. I would not be shocked if the story line covered in this has NOTHING to do with the story line actively played out in the MMO.

    The other thing to keep in mind...Blizzard and Metzen are only going to have so much say. Existing lore will be used as much as possible, but if it keeps from making the movie too attractive to the mainstream audience they will change it.

    It is a movie set in the Warcraft universe...which is quite vast. There are many rumors going around on what it could be. Some assume it'll take us back to the original Orcs & Humans (Warcraft I) story line or time period. Others have suggested it will be around the time of Arthas. Some also suggest it will be surrounding Me'dan. The script isn't done yet from industry sources, but if filming starts in the Winter, it isn't far from being done. Will we get teasers at Blizzcon this year? Doubt it. It won't be until the cast gets filled out and the obvious leaks start happening.

    One last thing people need to keep in mind. This is not going to follow the normal SOP of a Blizzard project. Legendary is the boss here. Blizzard is a consultant. So don't expect things to go a certain way because Blizzard does them a certain way.
    It seems to me the script is done. There were reports dating back to july 1 that it wasn't finished yet, but now sources are saying a draft is finished. They're doing casting now, which you kind of need a script for.

    Here's an article from july 31, don't really know how reliable a source it is, but as wikipedia links to it so do I: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/...warcraft-film/

    It appears the script is based on the novel "Warcraft: The Last Guardian." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraf..._Last_Guardian

    For everyone talking about how it should or shouldn't be about arthas, keep in mind, arthas didn't even show up until warcraft 3. I'm not saying they won't get to him eventually but there is alot more to the story of the Warcraft franchise than arthas.

    So yeah, the wowpedia page is a little bit behind. The wikipedia page has better info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraft_%28film%29
  1. atrixx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by david0925 View Post
    all they have to do is put a code on the tickets that give you a free epic or even legendary and the sales will explode.
    I'm sure the idea is there. Once they see how this goes they'll probably work on the next and hopefully plan to film them at the same time like LoTR and Avatar will do. Avatar is actually going to film 2, 3 and 4 at the same time I believe.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by finskee View Post
    It seems to me the script is done. There were reports dating back to july 1 that it wasn't finished yet, but now sources are saying a draft is finished. They're doing casting now, which you kind of need a script for.

    Here's an article from july 31, don't really know how reliable a source it is, but as wikipedia links to it so do I: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/...warcraft-film/

    It appears the script is based on the novel "Warcraft: The Last Guardian." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraf..._Last_Guardian

    For everyone talking about how it should or shouldn't be about arthas, keep in mind, arthas didn't even show up until warcraft 3. I'm not saying they won't get to him eventually but there is alot more to the story of the Warcraft franchise than arthas.

    So yeah, the wowpedia page is a little bit behind. The wikipedia page has better info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraft_%28film%29
    Yeah the script is probably done, but it still is going to go through edits and minor rewrites...sorry I didn't clean my wording up there on that. I agree they definite have to have it done in order to do casting.

    I am good with The Last Guardian story line completely. Great time in Warcraft lore.
  1. finskee's Avatar
    Imagine scenes like the orcs spilling through the dark portal, and Gul'dan pulling back his hood to reveal that he is medivh, these will be epic scenes that define the warcraft universe for people who've never played the games at all.

    Also imagine Garona and Khadgar, working together, despite one being human and one being half-orc... battling medivh, controlled by sargeras, the destroyer of worlds.

    This is happening. http://www.legendary.com/news/warcraft-release-date
  1. Zatetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Naztrak View Post
    -they made a horrible mistake in the year. 5 years ago wow had a serious cultural impact and no doubt it would bring all kinds of player. Now wow is no longer what it used to be and in 2015 it will sure attract even less of a crowd. Not my problem, but the investors will sure "lose" some money.
    By what logic did you reach this conclusion?

    Firstly, the movie is not the game, the movie is most likely Warcraft 2. Secondly, Just because you quit playing a game doesnt mean you start hating that thing. If Warcraft was ever a big part of your life or an enjoyable hobby, I think it's safe to assume that regardless of how good or bad this film is, most people will still check it out. Thirdly, almost every movie loses money. So it being bad and it being financially unsuccessful are two different things that are not necessarily related. Lastly, Blizzard usually only attaches their name to quality things (with the exception of Megabloks, come on bliz its just shitty lego), and with a big name attached to it, it probably isnt going to be incredibly bad - even if the big name is a douche.
  1. finskee's Avatar
    I kind of laugh at people who say this is coming too late, because it's just silly. They obviously mean it's too late to save wow. Granted that is probably true. But this is a game franchise that is not going away. If Warcraft 4 or Wow 2 or Warcraft Whatevertheblank comes out these same people will probably be playing these games, no doubt at the same time talking trash in the forums about how horrible they are and how metzen should just give up and GC nerfed their favorite gocart.
  1. lokinrond713's Avatar
    i feel as if there was some arm twisting to get this done/announced
  1. finskee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lokinrond713 View Post
    i feel as if there was some arm twisting to get this done/announced
    What makes you say that?

    While you think it over, here's Duncan Jones' twitter: https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon

    And his blog: http://blog.manmademovies.co.uk/

    Duncan Jones at Comic-Con: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rthHy0XRWNM
  1. mittacc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    If this is going to be live action, i'll never watch it... not even if someone gives me 100 dollars. Blizzard held off from doing this because everytime they'd meet with some director or producer... they could never get what they wanted. Blizzard didn't want to risk ruining their game with a movie... but now that the game is declining, a mediocre movie or even bad... won't really damage WoW. People need to realize, this is a warcraft movie, not World of Warcraft. Most of the lore will be from the comics and original warcraft series. I hope they do it in order and not just do their biggest story... if it's all about Arthas, then I won't expect a sequel... and even if they do create a sequel, it'll be a worse story since their biggest one is arthas.

    Here's my expectations... they film the movie w/ their animation shit... every cinematic that blizzard has put out, has looked phenomenal, there's absolutely no reason to try and go live action when you can make amazing animated cinematics. Secondly, it has to follow the warcraft lore/books in chronological order. If they just follow those 2 easy steps... i can only imagine that the movie will be amazing... assuming they hire the correct staff.
    Yeah, I know that Warcraft isn't just WoW but I don't think that blizz will backtrack too much. The whole point of this film is to bring back old people and bring in a few more than that. This means that the veterans has to be able to relate to that(I'm talking about WoW here since wc1,2 and 3 are irrelevant today) and potential new players get interested in the current story of WoW.

    Doesn't seem unreasonable, does it? :P
  1. finskee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    Yeah, I know that Warcraft isn't just WoW but I don't think that blizz will backtrack too much. The whole point of this film is to bring back old people and bring in a few more than that. This means that the veterans has to be able to relate to that(I'm talking about WoW here since wc1,2 and 3 are irrelevant today) and potential new players get interested in the current story of WoW.

    Doesn't seem unreasonable, does it? :P
    Did you look at this article before you wrote that?

    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/...warcraft-film/
  1. atrixx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    Yeah, I know that Warcraft isn't just WoW but I don't think that blizz will backtrack too much. The whole point of this film is to bring back old people and bring in a few more than that. This means that the veterans has to be able to relate to that(I'm talking about WoW here since wc1,2 and 3 are irrelevant today) and potential new players get interested in the current story of WoW.

    Doesn't seem unreasonable, does it? :P
    Blizzard isn't going to talk Legendary and Universal to pony up millions and millions of dollars for a movie just to get people back into WOW. People really need to stop thinking of the Warcraft universe as just WOW.
  1. Youarefired's Avatar
    Old news. I do wish they offered it to Sam Mendez just so we could know he tossed it in the trash and said "No one tells me when my movies is going to come out.". Just like he did with Avengers.
  1. saltyharbls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarefired View Post
    Old news. I do wish they offered it to Sam Mendez just so we could know he tossed it in the trash and said "No one tells me when my movies is going to come out.". Just like he did with Avengers.
    How is it old news? They literally announced it 2 days ago?

Site Navigation