MMO-Champion - Warlords of Draenor - Flying Delayed Until First Major Patch, Hearthstone Beta Keys
Update: Added a new response to some feedback.

Patch 5.4.2 PTR - Build 17585

Warlords of Draenor - Flying Delayed Until First Major Patch
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
There's a lot of discussion about flying/not-flying and I'd like to try to sum things up and maybe realign the discussion a bit. Some of the other threads are near-cap, some have really gone down tangents, so I'm just picking this one to throw a reply into. Apologies to the other threads.

We intend to disallow flying while leveling from 90 to 100, and have flying become available again in the first major patch for Warlords of Draenor. No flying while leveling has been the case during Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, and Mists of Pandaria. We allowed flying during Cataclysm because as those zones were mixed-in with the 1-60 world it just would have been really jarring to dismount you as you fly into Hyjal, etc. but we would have disallowed it for Catalcysm zones as well if there was a reasonable solution there.

Flying trivializes combat. A lot of people like to say we're trying to force world PvP, or that we just really want people to look at the pretty trees we made, but those really aren't the reasons that drive this same decision we've made every expansion. Flying allows you to escape or enter combat at-will. There's a reason why flying isn't allowed in dungeons and raids, or battlegrounds and arenas, and that's because it would trivialize the core mechanic of the game in those areas - combat. For much the same reason it trivializes how content is approached in the outdoor world based on the simple fact that you can lift off and set down wherever you like.

So that's the main reason. But sure there are a lot of other problems it can cause for content design such as zones having to get a lot bigger because flying mounts can travel so quickly (and thus making ground travel in them take much longer), it reduces the impact of elevation within zones, it completely removes the ability for us to pace or present content in any structured way, and in general removes our ability to determine how and when players approach a situation, see a vista or location, or charge into/out-of a combat situation. It just greatly reduces any gameplay we want to create by allowing infinite choice in how content is approached to best suit a player's intention to (usually) avoid that content.

I totally sympathize with people's desire to do that, they want to be efficient and have it be their choice, but we have to balance our intent to create a game against creating a sandbox where anything goes. There's a happy medium there somewhere, but flying mounts in most cases just do too much to undermine too many of our core intentions with the game world, the basis of the game: combat, or guiding players through a game experience, and for those reasons we have continually chosen (when we could) to disallow flying mounts in the 'current' outdoor content. In the past that's meant only while leveling, but in our experiences with the Isle of Thunder and Timeless Isle we feel like we can extend that for a bit longer in the new content, and have it be kind of a big deal again once you're able to earn flying in the first big content patch, and in the meantime putting focus on flight paths as well as having some more interesting travel options for players to use.

Update: So a couple things I wanted to bring up in addition to what I posted earlier. The first was that we're of course refining our questing experience, you may have heard a bit about it from BlizzCon, and that expands to max level content as well. In Mists of Pandaria there was quite a bit of outdoor content at max level, but it was almost entirely in the form of dailies. From BlizzCon we shared we're looking to provide something quite a bit more story driven like the 5.1 Operation Shieldwall/Dominance Offensive with some of the exploration lessons we learned from the Timeless Isle, and that extends to the max level experience as well. We want the transition at max level not to be questing and story to a harsh "now you do dailies", but something that's more natural and feels a lot like the leveling experience just at max level for better reward. And so that goes back to all of the reasons I gave before about how flight interrupts some of the core mechanics we think present the best leveling and questing experience, and I thought it'd be good to point out that it'll also play a big role at max level due to our questing refinements.

The second thing is we really like when flying feels like a reward and something you've earned for each new expansion or area. It's such a powerful ability and we look back at BC (at least for epic riding) or Wrath and those were really big keystone achievements for us as players (mainly because they had some pretty huge gold costs on them...). Regardless of the unlock method though it was one of the bigger moments when you unlocked flying, took to the skies, and were able to see the world from an entirely different vantage because for most of us it wasn't easily attainable. Our plan has been to recapture some of that but make it a bit cooler, and while we don't have specifics just yet, it'll be something more involved than just paying gold; something that further emphasizes how powerful flight is. Unlocking it won't just be level 100 on the day 6.1 comes out with some gold, but something you'll be working toward over the course of the initial expansion release, and 6.1 will introduce the final steps to complete it. Think of something like a mini Legendary cloak quest. It's such a enormous power to be able to fly we really want it to be more of a key moment when you unlock it, and something that feels like an accomplishment more than just shelling out some gold like we've had in the past.

Anyway, I felt like those two things were worth spelling out.

Battle.Net Desktop App Beta Testers - Hearthstone Beta Keys
If you tested the Battle.Net Desktop App during beta, you will be receiving a Hearthstone beta key in your email shortly! This is the special gift promised to beta testers.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Warlords of Draenor - Flying Delayed Until First Major Patch, Hearthstone Beta Keys started by chaud View original post
Comments 1064 Comments
  1. Tyriama's Avatar
    Really happy they made the change to enforce the no-flying mounts, atleast for a while. I for one love how much effort the gamedesigners put into the pacing of the leveling, and I totally agree that there is far too easy to just cheese your way out of fighting most mobs with flying (my alt could finish quests with killing one or two extra mobs, where we used to have to kill 15.
  1. Tirilka's Avatar
    Oh dear, if Blizzard will actually have the balls to stick to 'no-flying until 6.1' despite all the whine, I will love them forever.
    Ground-based exploration rocks!
    And they are planning to do an epic quest-chain to enable flying later, probably with Arrakoa involved... Can it possibly get any better?
  1. Mush's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakaya_Kilrogg View Post
    If Blizz didn't want their world to feel "small and trivial", they shouldn't have added flying mounts in the first place. How does this shit even make sense in the game world?
    This as well, If they never added it I wouldn't know any different so it wouldn't have mattered. Its the fact that they are taking away something that they added that is the problem.
  1. Dazzros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirilka View Post
    Oh dear, if Blizzard will actually have the balls to stick to 'no-flying until 6.1' despite all the whine, I will love them forever.
    Ground-based exploration rocks!
    And they are planning to do an epic quest-chain to enable flying later, probably with Arrakoa involved... Can it possibly get any better?
    Yeah baby rock on!!! Really good change. World PvP says Hello i stugan =)
  1. BatteredSausage's Avatar
    pve servers should be allowed to have flying straight off the bat in regards to world pvp because they choose at a guess not to participate in it...most the time.

    Also way to go from the morons calling everyone that WANTS flying whiners, yet all your fucking whining has got you all a step closer to what you want...or should i say it closes the gap on your personality disorder...social missfits that want to take everything away from others because they think there better than everyone else.
  1. NoNamedPride's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    This as well, If they never added it I wouldn't know any different so it wouldn't have mattered. Its the fact that they are taking away something that they added that is the problem.
    For two months. OH NO! AMBULANCE! HE's GOING TO COLLAPSE!
  1. Xanderz's Avatar
    I really dont understand what the big deal is with not being able to fly until the first patch?

    So they dont want you to be able to fly and do every quest and get to 100 that fast. They dont want you to be able to avoid combat in areas of questing zones and fly around exactly to quest check points or certain quest mobs. Its really not that big of a deal. You will get flying eventually.

    I really dont get why people are up in arms at Blizzard for them wanting you to ride for just a little longer. It doesn't kill gameplay. Most people once they level and get to 100 are going to be queueing for stuff anyway and instantly transporting to dungeons. How is that going to affect things?
  1. Killyox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakaya_Kilrogg View Post
    When I earned Epic Flying, it was like 5000 gold. When I got to Northrend, even more gold. I just kept paying to update this damned flying skill.

    If Blizz didn't want their world to feel "small and trivial", they shouldn't have added flying mounts in the first place. How does this shit even make sense in the game world?

    "My Frostwyrm that I liberated from Arthas suddenly can't fly here. Neither can my Wyvern who's wings aren't skeletal. What trickery is this!?" Meanwhile, birds and shit are flying around as usual?

    This "no flight til level X/patch X" is fucking marlarky. I understand they don't want people to fly through content, I really do, but the characters earned all that crap. Especially those of us who were playing during TBC. The 10000 or 12000 gold+ spent on the flying skill and mounts might not seem like a lot, but I put a lot of time into earning it back then (which was a lot more time-consuming back in the day), only to see all that effort pissed away when I want to race from Point A to point B leveling asap to get back into raiding.

    If a new game says no mounts/no flying, I'm perfectly fine with that. Hell, I prefer that! I'd prefer it here, if I hadn't earned the ability through no small amount of farming and AHing. When something takes effort, and my precious time, I want to hold onto it and get as much use out of it as possible. This solution.. is bullshit.
    Lol the way you put it sounds as if you had no benefit from it. All those years you used flying and still will in zones besides WOD. Instead you prefer to make it sound as if you threw away all that gold for a useless thing.

    It's the same as not flying in MOP upon release but extended to 6.1 patch. Same as you can;t fly in Tol Barad and Tol Barad Peninsula etc.
  1. NoNamedPride's Avatar
    THANK YOU GC! When flying comes in with 6.1 flying in Draenor will be somehow allowed, but the new Zone everyone will probably be going to won't have Flying! xD Today is a day of joy!
  1. Mush's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Your argument fails when you realize those mounts aren't actually being taken away the ability to fly. They are still flying mounts; they just can't fly in Draenor zones.

    When Blizzard added Timeless Isle, or Isle of Thunder did you also complain about this? Because it's the same fucking thing, except on a larger scale.
    Larger scale? you mean ALL of the current content?

    It's going to happen every time a new piece of content comes out, not just till 6.1
    https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...11014708408321
  1. Lord Kristivas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNamedPride View Post
    For two months. OH NO! AMBULANCE! HE's GOING TO COLLAPSE!
    Don't drive your car for two months. You really need to experience the beauty of the real world, and the awesomeness of encounters and pvp!

    It's bullshit. Two months of not being able to use what I put a lot of game time and money into, just to stretch out their content? No matter how you slice this, it's a shit sandwich.
  1. damntree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olee View Post
    Your the worst kind of wow player that the developers have to dumb down and cater to. It's half their fault tho they have been catering to spoiled players like you for so long that when u hear that you have to use a ground mount and actually EXPLORE the world they created you go nuts. This game was a much bigger place before flying mounts and i love when they do this it brings me back to when this game felt like a big expansive world. Not one you can just fly over in 5 minutes.
    And you're the worst kind of person. You have no self-control to use your ground mount which you loooove so much. So now your problem becomes everyones problem.
  1. hailey's Avatar
    It's decisions like this that give me hope for WoD
  1. Mush's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakaya_Kilrogg View Post
    Don't drive your car for two months. You really need to experience the beauty of the real world, and the awesomeness of encounters and pvp!

    It's bullshit. Two months of not being able to use what I put a lot of game time and money into, just to stretch out their content? No matter how you slice this, it's a shit sandwich.
    Don't reply to him, hes just a troll.

    A pathetic internet troll who talks shit to people online to feel like a big boy in real life.
  1. Geish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    No its not, wow wasn't sold like that at all and the fact that you keep saying that is just proof that you have no idea what you are talking about. WoW wasn't 100% about raiding especially at the start. Those mounts are specifically meant to be mounts and were sold as flying mounts.

    If you do that with a gxf card that means you didn't do your research. That is a terrible example. Its more like as if they said your gfx card had a 3 gb cache and then came to your house and took 2.5 gbs away from you.

    Also you are talking about obsolescent technology. Those things aren't the same as a virtual mount, I'm sorry but if you are going to say I'm wrong come up with a better misguided diatribe.

    Logic, how does it work? The flying mounts were not 100% flying from the start, they could and still can ride in the ground.

    Nothing has been taken away from you, you can still do everything you could when you bought it. It's just obsolete for the next generation of content, just like pretty much every product in some point of it's lifespan, be it virtual or not.
  1. zito's Avatar
    One step closer to removing flying from the game forever!!

    make it happen
  1. Ainatan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Abstieg View Post
    I'm going to love leveling my alts through the same tedious experience every time with no way to speed it up.
    Every WoW expansion so far...
  1. NoNamedPride's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakaya_Kilrogg View Post
    Don't drive your car for two months. You really need to experience the beauty of the real world, and the awesomeness of encounters and pvp!

    It's bullshit. Two months of not being able to use what I put a lot of game time and money into, just to stretch out their content? No matter how you slice this, it's a shit sandwich.
    Shit. What would I do without my Car.. you really opened my eyes.. All this time I left the second one alone in the garage..

    You, know .. get the difference between Real Life and WoW. 2 Months of not being able to drive your car IS a huge thing, I agree. But Two Months and more of not getting your Virtual Fly-Fly isn't a big deal. If it is, you should really be careful about your priorities.
  1. Abstieg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    One step closer to removing flying from the game forever!!
    They already said that will never happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ainatan View Post
    Every WoW expansion so far...
    Wrath introduced letting you buy an heirloom book to give alts flying.

    Cataclysm integrated flying with leveling.

    MoP has been miserable leveling alts because I am handicapped the tenth time around the same way I was the first time.
  1. Mush's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    One step closer to removing flying from the game forever!!

    make it happen
    They already said that isn't happening.

Site Navigation