MMO-Champion - Patch 5.4.2 - Karazhan Cleanup, Blue Tweets, Setup of the Month, Blizzcon Cosplay
Story Time With Wyatt Cheng, Removal of Nephalem Valor, Pickup Radius Reduced for RoS, Curse Weekly Roundup

Weekly News Recap, Building a Budget Druid Deck, Beta Key Giveaway

Patch 5.4.2 - Karazhan Cleanup
You might have noticed the addition of a new phase, "Karazhan Restoration" in the latest PTR build. It is unclear what that phase will be used for, but the regular version of Karazhan has seen some cleanup in 5.4.2. Most of the spiderwebs, skeletons, and overturned chairs have been removed. All other signs of abandonment and age remain untouched.




Blue Tweets
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Warlords of Draenor Beta
Yes, No or IDK interview question time! Will we see WoD Beta before the end of February?
IDK (Source)

Warlords' preview looked great but pretty raw compared to how polished everything was for the Pandaria announcement.
That's odd. Feels like we are farther along for WoD than we were for MoP. (Source)

Classes
Will tank dps be looked at for WoD, It's just not right that they are top on so many encounters. They should NEVER be
We are planning on changing Vengeance to only affect defenses and just making tank abilities hit harder. (Source)
That should let tank DPS be relevant, without it being absurd. They may still win meters on big AE fights. (Source)

DoT snapshotting existed before MoP and it's a skill differentiator. The balance issue is Pandemic.
The real issue is temp stat boosts. We just can't do them in class CDs, trinkets etc. when snapshotting is so prominent (Source)

Spirit won't matter as long as you have varied regen mechanics, mindbender vs innervate? rofl. 600kmana/9min vs 180k/9min...
You can't compare spells in a vacuum. Who runs out of mana first, the Holy priest or Resto druid? (Source)

Druid (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
Hey.. speaking of the new character models.. will druid forms get some love aswell?
I doubt it. They were redone fairly recently in the grand scheme of things. (Source)

Hunter (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
You say you want hunters to fill the role of mobile ranged, then give us Snipe. I don't get it. (1of2)
The intent is someone who is willing to deal with the challenge of non 100% movement can perhaps benefit from DPS. It's optional. (Source)

Mage (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
Will fire mages get a revamp in 6.0? You remarked before they need work but was not essential in 5.4.
in what way do you think that combustion is hard to understand?
It's not hard to understand per se it's the insane decision tree that Combustion + Alter Time creates & the penalty for failing (Source)

Rogue (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
Is slice and dice deleted for Warlords of draenor (for sub and combat)?
Not at the moment. We just want to distinguish rotations a bit more by not having all rogues have to manage it. (Source)

Warlords of Draenor Flying
I was wondering if Blizzard was planning to cut flying altogether from WoD? The forums can be a scary place sometimes. :|
No. We like no flying when content is relevant. In 6.1 the Draenor zones won't be current, but there will be a new no-fly zone. (Source)

No Flying till 6.1 = Awesome. Will we have FelReaver-esque SAVAGE things to look out for and remember for years to come?
Yes. It is a world of giants. There are gronn and even larger things stomping about. (Source)

We have to quest to fly in 6.1? Why is Blizzard so in love with grinds? I just want to pvp.
The soul of the game is progression. You overcome challenges to earn things. Rewards for free don't feel like rewards. (Source)

Put a compelling, interesting, or fun activity in that encourages people not to fly. Don’t force it
Is there anything fun or compelling about raid trash? Repair costs? Earning lesser charms? Yet those still have value... (Source)

Name one thing that barring flight gives you that you couldn't do with a little bit of ingenuity without barring flight.
Swoop down, kill quest target, fly away without fighting anything else. (Source)
It seems a lot of the dislike for flying is from pvp? Would I be correct in that assumption?
A small part of it, but we also hate the way folks quest with flying mounts. Swoop down, unlock prison cage, swoop away. (Source)
Questing is boring and tedious as hell at this point. I'd rather just be done with it ASAP.
We don't want it to be an endless slog, but we do view questing as a core component of the experience. (Source)

Can’t wait to see the end of WoD when “No flying” is written off as a mistake after all your defending. Same as dailies were
It's always possible, but we were happy with no flying until 90 and no flying on Timeless Isle or Isle of Thunder. (Source)

PvE
Quick question: what's your favourite class/spec & raid boss? I know you work in a lot of those, but pick one of each
It wouldn't be prudent to answer the first. For the second, tie between new Ragnaros and Lei Shen. (Source)
Lich King was amazing (fav by miles), rag was sick too though. Lei Shen has been one of the best balanced bosses tho
I liked LK a lot, but if I'm being honest, too much of the fight was burning adds or Defile lightning reflexes. Still great. (Source)

can we please have CD reset on ICD effects on boss pull?
We are going to work very hard to make lining up everything on the pull less of a thing. It causes bad gameplay overall. (Source)

Are we supposed to clear Normal *and* Heroic before getting to Mythic?
Just heroic. If you are a mythic prone guild (mythic curious?) then normal is probably too easy and unrewarding for you. (Source)

Delay the start of raiding in WoD for 1 ~ 2 weeks please! Nice to be able to level without having to rush.
We think that worked out well for MoP. (Source)

Plus, the word Mythic sounds pretty awesome, in my opinion. That matters to people, right?
But everyone at Blizzcon called it MYSTIC. (Source)
Avoid the Mythic/Mystic confusion. Use a word you already use. Legendary Raid!
When we debated that, the fear was the immediate assumption that it dropped all orange loot. (Source)

While there are more 10h than 25h raiders, both groups are still very small. We support heroic raiding, but let's keep the in perspective. (Source)
This is going to be like 5.0 dailies. Wrong solution to the right problem. The ICC system is preferable to a single size.
The problem with ICC is the 10-player raiders felt like second class citizens since the ilevels were lower. (Source)
So how does returning ten mans to second class status make sense now? That is where they are going back to.
Ten player raiding is extremely popular and we are going to continue to support it. Ten player heroic raiding is much less popular. (Source)

For the much larger population of 10n players, flex in 6.0 will only help them. (Source)
The problem with flex is, people stop at 13-14 players because mechanics switch to 25m mode. People dont want to fill up.
There are some break points today, but we've fixed most of those for 6.0. (Source)

Will Mythic mode have to be unlocked by completing Heroic mode? Much like going from Normal mode > Heroic mode is now.
Not sure yet, but it will definitely unlock a week later like it does today. (Source)
but we can start in heroic mode right?Two clears before we can "start" would kinda kill the excitement IMO
Current plan (could change) is N and H on week two, Mythic on week three (if you've beaten H) and LFR after that. (Source)

It looks like it's an RL option, like today it's just another option on the list.
Correct. In LFR it's always personal. Else, raid leader can choose. You can argue he or she should go personal in a pug. (Source)
Can you tell if the groups made from the new Browsing Raid will be able to change Loot Specialization middle raid?
Sure. We'll likely still have bonus rolls, and those are always personal even if your loot system is not. (Source)
Would you consider keeping all mount/pet drops as personal even if loot system is not?
I'd worry that some groups like to decide who gets the mount. (Source)

Computers - Setup of the Month (by chaud)
Each month or every 2 months, depending on the hardware evolutions, the lovely chaud will work on a couple of hardware setups for those of you who are thinking of upgrading their computer!

This month
New GPUs from AMD are on the way, so if you are only upgrading your GPU it might be worth it to wait a month or two.

The current SSD prices are stable, with most SSDs under $1 per gigabyte when on sale. RAM prices are remaining high.

The Haswell CPUs run a little bit on the warmer side. Depending on how much you want to overclock, you may need to spend a bit more for a better CPU cooler like the NH-D14 or H90.

Unless you are doing a lot of video rendering or something that is similarly multithreaded, you do not need the 4770K and should spend that money elsewhere.

Make sure to keep your AMD and Nvidia drivers up to date.

Don't hesitate to post any feedback in the comments of that news post, and don't forget to visit the Computer Forum for any extra questions! If you are interested in Folding@home, take a look in our team's thread.


Peripherals/Monitors
ComponentPuppy Dolphin
MonitorAsus VE228H 21.5-Inch Monitor - $126ASUS VS248H-P 24-Inch Monitor - $160
KeyboardKensington Pro Fit Media Keyboard - $18Cyborg V.5 - $45
MouseLogitech G400s - $45Razer Deathadder - $47
SpeakersCreative A220 2.1 Speaker System - $28Logitech Z313 Speaker System - $35
ComponentNarwhal Unicorn
MonitorAsus VE258Q 25-Inch Monitor - $213HP ZR2440W 24-inch - $333
KeyboardLogitech G510s - $82CM Storm QuickFire XT - $95
MouseLogitech G500 - $62Razer Naga (Buttons on the Side) - $70
SpeakersLogitech Z323 2.1 Speaker System - $53Logitech Speaker System Z523 - $65


Puppy and Dolphin
All of these parts can be mixed and matched to create a build between Puppy and Dolphin.
ComponentPuppy Dolphin
CaseNZXT Source 210 - $35NZXT Source 210 - $35
Power SupplyCorsair CX500 - $50XFX Core Edition PRO 550W - $60
CPUAMD FX-6300 - $119AMD FX-8320 - $160
HeatsinkCooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - $25Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $33
MotherboardASUS M5A97 R2.0 - $95ASUS M5A99FX PRO - $118
MemoryKingston HyperX Blu 4GB 1333 - $408GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 - $80
Graphics CardMSI 7790 OC - $100Gigabyte R9 270X or Gigabyte GTX 660 - $207 / $170
Hard DriveWestern Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - $56Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB - $87
DVDAsus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $22Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $22
Total$542$765 - $802


Narwhal and Unicorn
All of these parts can be mixed and matched to create a build between Narwhal and Unicorn.
ComponentNarwhal Unicorn
CaseCooler Master HAF 912 - $60Corsair Air 540 (Special Layout) - $150
Power SupplyCorsair 650TX V2 - $90Corsair 750HX - $110
CPUIntel i5-4670K - $235Intel i7-4770K - $339
HeatsinkThermaltake Frio - $56Noctua 6 NH-D14 - $78
MotherboardASUS Z87-A - $144ASUS Z87-PLUS - $160
Memory8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 - $8016GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 - $162
Graphics CardXFX 7950 OR MSI N760 TF - $250 / $250Gigabyte R9 280X OR ASUS GTX 770 - $300 / $315
Hard DriveWestern Digital 1TB Caviar Black - $87Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black - $87
SSDSAMSUNG 840 128GB (Review) - $120
OR
Plextor 128 GB M5 Pro (Review) - $113
Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB (Review) - $130
OR
SAMSUNG 840 Pro 128GB (Review) - $132
DVDAsus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $22Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $22
Total$1137 - $1156$1521 - $1555


Blizzcon Cosplay Video
Blizzcon had some very nice cosplay this year!

This article was originally published in forum thread: Patch 5.4.2 - Karazhan Cleanup, Blue Tweets, Setup of the Month, Blizzcon Cosplay started by chaud View original post
Comments 145 Comments
  1. VanishO2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    So they nerf normal and heroic bosses because of LFR player even though 99% of them never touch normal/heroic? Fucking please. They nerf content because people hit a brick wall. It has nothing to do with LFR.
    Actually yes, most of the nerfs, including the creation of Flex dificulty, came from trying to make LFR players go try something harder.

    They came from LFR and tried to deal with normal (or even heroics if avaiable, usually because of a pug or even heroic raiding friends that got them a raid spot that night) like they were still playing LFR.
  1. Noahsark's Avatar
    Just completed Kara 2 days ago when i realised there where pets to be had :P I did notice there are certainly a lot less mobs compared to usual. I remember going to the stage area and there being lots of mobs (farming for engineering stuff rings a bell) but now there is like only 5-6 mobs in total compared to the 20 odd that used to be there.
  1. Cronnix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshiIsu View Post
    Four fucking weeks before LFR?
    Thats me out. Fed up with Bliz treating LFR people as second class sub payers.
    You kinda are. Let people who put some effort into the game enjoy their rewards.
  1. Cimmerus's Avatar
    Don't listen to people who tie their self-worth to whether or not they pixel better than you. The LFR delay is to keep normal/heroic raiders from running LFR to get the gear prior to attempting their target difficulties.
  1. mamysozn's Avatar
    Leave kara alone video on youtube anytime soon?anyone?
  1. Gaman's Avatar
    Im thinking Kara will have a part in the pre WoD event. Either as a queueable 3man scenario (like Theramore) or some quest chain that leads to a phased karazhan (kinda like the Isle of thunder quest progression, with 1 man scenarios leading the story foreward).
  1. Unbelfpain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaman View Post
    Im thinking Kara will have a part in the pre WoD event. Either as a queueable 3man scenario (like Theramore) or some quest chain that leads to a phased karazhan (kinda like the Isle of thunder quest progression, with 1 man scenarios leading the story foreward).
    reheated pork always taste the same..
  1. Literae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshiIsu View Post
    Four fucking weeks before LFR?
    Thats me out. Fed up with Bliz treating LFR people as second class sub payers.
    Its nothing like this. Yes this is prob how the community see it, but not how Blizzard does. There are 2 main reasons. Why should someone like me who works 12hr shifts and cannot really focus on end game raiding, get to kill the last boss in the raid, on a faceroll difficulty before people like Method and Paragon? We get buffs to kill the boss everytime we wipe...they get repair bills. The other reason its not getting released on par with normal is the fact of DS LFR. People abused that and got tier bonuses in LFR to breeze through normal content. This is prob the main reason why Blizzard wont release it on par.
  1. Aspen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Literae View Post
    Its nothing like this. Yes this is prob how the community see it, but not how Blizzard does. There are 2 main reasons. Why should someone like me who works 12hr shifts and cannot really focus on end game raiding, get to kill the last boss in the raid, on a faceroll difficulty before people like Method and Paragon? We get buffs to kill the boss everytime we wipe...they get repair bills. The other reason its not getting released on par with normal is the fact of DS LFR. People abused that and got tier bonuses in LFR to breeze through normal content. This is prob the main reason why Blizzard wont release it on par.
    By this reasoning, they are catering to guilds like Method/Paragon, while penalizing the rest of us due to past actions of Method/Paragon.... =[ Awesome logic on Blizzard's part.
  1. dirk123's Avatar
    Revamped Karazhan would make sense if it is Karazhan in the same alternate timeline as WoD Draenor.
    Seeing how in that timeline, even though the orcs didn't drink the blood and join the legion, Medivh in that timeline would still be possessed by Sargeras and was never found out unlike in the Last Guardian nover because he never opened the portal on Azeroth's side/helped the orcs.
  1. ihyln's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronnix View Post
    You kinda are. Let people who put some effort into the game enjoy their rewards.
    Is his $14.95 less than your $14.95 or are you some smug twat?
  1. grexly75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspen View Post
    By this reasoning, they are catering to guilds like Method/Paragon, while penalizing the rest of us due to past actions of Method/Paragon.... =[ Awesome logic on Blizzard's part.
    Yes unfortunately, because Blizz did what they did with DS LFR in Cata and so now we have what we have today because people abused the system which was Blizzards fault because they should have seen that folks would do this to get ahead by fair means or foul and in this case it was somewhat fair not really in the spirit of things but fair none the less because Blizz stuffed up the initial release of LFR..

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Cronnix View Post
    You kinda are. Let people who put some effort into the game enjoy their rewards.
    And this smart ass elitist post here is pretty much what is wrong with the community.. As far as I know we all pay the same subscription amount, unless you have some special gold membership that allows you to dump on everyone else..
  1. ringpriest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gHouLwiNg View Post
    DO NOT touch kharazan !!!! Let it as it is, one of the few perfectly designed instances.
    But that's why they need to wreck it. As it is, the existence of "old" Kara stands as a stinging rebuke to all the low-quality work Blizz has been doing. Turn it into crap and new players (the only kind Blizz cares about) will have no basis for comparison.
  1. Keile's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugetsu View Post
    Seems like they got some funds to spare and hired a maid... x)
    Nooo...noooo....meester Malchezaar no home...
  1. hobbsey's Avatar
    Wow that is a lot of good cosplay. I especially liked the guy who was a training dummy, the anduin/varian team and the girl with her dog as the polar bear mount.

    A bit nervous about Kara... I was in college during TBC and a pretty hardcore raider so I probably did that place 100 times on mains and alts and have pretty fond memories. I hope they're planning something good for it.
  1. Unholyground's Avatar
    They are making an instanced version of Kara for the pre expansion event leading up to the dark portal going all red and time travely. It is not changing the old Kara, they would not do that (not yet anyways).
  1. Venziir's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Of-the-horde View Post
    Karazhan scenario im calling it.
    Doubtful, if that was the case, they would change things in the current Karazhan instance, but create a new one instead to mess around with.
  1. Sarac's Avatar
    I'l never forgive Blizz if they fuck it up and ruin my sweet memories. I've never said it before, but I will unsub if it turns out to be shit. I'l have te resub first though. xD
  1. Korthas's Avatar
    We have to quest to fly in 6.1? Why is Blizzard so in love with grinds? I just want to pvp.
    The soul of the game is progression. You overcome challenges to earn things. Rewards for free don't feel like rewards.

    FLYING IS NOT A REWARD! We have already had flying for years. You are taking it away and then trying to make it a reward again. I don't mind having to wait til max level to get flying back, but making it a stupid quest line to get back is simply stupid.

    Lich King has done it best so far. No flying until max level and then a BoA journal to give it to your alts earlier.
  1. Sarac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
    Is his $14.95 less than your $14.95 or are you some smug twat?
    You pay to acces your account, nothing more or less. Stop acting like you have rights in a video game, you don't.

    I don't hate LFR players in general, I hate fuckers like you who think they have certain rights in areas where they don't. If you think it's unfair to you, then you have that right to feel that way. But that is a personal opinion not attached to money.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Korthas View Post
    We have to quest to fly in 6.1? Why is Blizzard so in love with grinds? I just want to pvp.
    The soul of the game is progression. You overcome challenges to earn things. Rewards for free don't feel like rewards.

    FLYING IS NOT A REWARD! We have already had flying for years. You are taking it away and then trying to make it a reward again. I don't mind having to wait til max level to get flying back, but making it a stupid quest line to get back is simply stupid.

    Lich King has done it best so far. No flying until max level and then a BoA journal to give it to your alts earlier.
    What you think is best might be not what I think it is best. I don't mind it either way, but my preferance will always go to no flying at all.

Site Navigation