MMO-Champion - Blizzcon Dev Interview, Next Connected Realms, Blue Posts, Blue Tweets, DLC #416
Paragon EXP Chart: Levels 1 - 2000, Diablofans Livestream of Reaper of Souls

OGN to Broadcast Competitive Hearthstone in Korea, ManaCast #13, Beta Key Giveaway

Blizzcon Dev Interview
PlayersCut had the chance to speak with Chris Metzen at Blizzcon.

The Emerald Dream and Warcraft 4
  • The Emerald Dream is a nice idea and the team has talked about making it into an expansion many times. Building an entire expansion worth of zones around a green lush forest theme would get very boring, so the Emerald Dream would be better used as raid, dungeon, or a subzone, not an entire expansion.
  • For the foreseeable future, the content in World of Warcraft is where the team's primary focus will be. Warcraft 4 isn't planned right now, as Starcraft 2 is where the RTS focus is.

Warcraft Movie
  • The Warcraft movie is still doing casting.
  • The Orc's corruption by the Burning Legion is a root theme of the movie story.

World of Warcraft Heroes and Villains
  • The first few WoW expansions burned through the Warcraft villains pretty fast, which is why the team introduced characters like Garrosh. There are a number of characters they have started to insert into the storyline with the hopes that they will be made into compelling characters or great villains in the future.
  • Wrathion and Anduin are characters to watch going forward. Anduin gets slightly older with every model update and Metzen would like to see him become king one day.
  • Yrel is a new character in Warlords of Draenor, starting as a naive priestess in old Draenor. When the conflict kicks into gear she will need to become a hero over the course of the story, a new major Alliance heroine, and take a leadership role among the Alliance.


Next Connected Realms 11/25
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
​We will be connecting the realms listed below on Monday, November 25 during a scheduled maintenance beginning at 6 a.m. PST through approximately 11:00 a.m. PST. Once maintenance is finished, these realm connections will be complete.

  • Azshara and Azgalor
  • Arygos and Llane
  • Cairne and Perenolde
  • Nathrezim and Anub'arak/Chromaggus/Garithos/Smolderthorn
  • Winterhoof and Kilrogg
  • Zangarmarsh and Hellscream

We will be connecting the realms listed below on Monday, December 2 during a scheduled maintenance beginning at 6 a.m. PST through approximately 11:00 a.m. PST. Once maintenance is finished, these realm connections will be complete.

  • Coilfang and Dark Iron
  • Fenris and Dragonblight
  • Icecrown and Malygos
  • Spirestone and Drak'Tharon/Firetree/Malorne/Rivendare
  • Ysondre and Magtheridon

​Future Connections
We do not have a date for the following realm connections, but will update this blog post when we do.

Next Batch
  • Andorhal and Ursin
  • Crushridge and Anub'arak/Chromaggus/Garithos/Nathrezim/Smolderthorn
  • Darrowmere and Windrunner
  • Quel'dorei and Sen'jin
  • Velen and Eonar

​Plans for these connections may change at any time, but we’ll provide additional updates on specific dates for future connections here as we can. Please note that as a part of the connection process realm times may change to match each other.

Next Connected Realms 11/25
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
The connections below should be completed shortly:

  • Uldum and Shen’dralar/Zul’jin
  • Boulderfist and Chromaggus/Shattered Halls
  • Rajaxx and Anetheron
  • Agamaggan and Emeriss/Hakkar/Crushridge
  • Terrodar and Dethecus/Mug’thol/Theradras
  • Alexstrasza and Nethersturm

As part of our ongoing Connected Realms implementation, we will be connecting additional realms as listed below. We don’t have a specific date yet on when these connections will occur, but we’ll provide another update once we do.

  • Executus and Burning Steppes/Kor’gall
  • The Venture Co and Sporeggar/Scarshield Legion
  • Arathi and Temple Noir/Naxxramas
  • Daggerspine and Boulderfist/Chromaggus/Shattered Halls
  • Area 52 and Un’Goro
  • Thunderhorn and Wildhammer

Blue Posts
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Raid Finder
I am probably in the minority but just wanted to say anyway.
I really don't think you are. We can see by the numbers that it's a popular feature. As is the way with most things, if you're fine with something you're unlikely to make a thread about it—so thank you for going to the trouble.

Having said that, people do have valid issues with game features from time to time, and we make sure to pass on that feedback to the developers so they can decide whether to make any adjustments, and hopefully improve the game experience for everyone. We've made a number of tweaks to LFR since it was introduced based on your feedback, so also a big thanks to those who have highlighted other aspects.

Basically, we really appreciate good or bad feedback about LFR or any other game features, as long as it's constructive! (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Blue Tweets
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Warlords of Draenor Flying
small no-fly zones are ok, the whole continent is way to punishing. Especially without lore reason.
I don't feel the need to justify good gameplay with lore. Why can Four Winds virmen defeat Onyxia? Good gameplay. (Source)
Believable lore and setting, must be internally consistent, is very important to a RPG.
We agree, but gameplay is more important, at least at Blizzard. Other studios design with different values. (Source)

So basically not having flying has nothing to do with immersion or exploration or interaction it's just timesink
That's almost exactly the opposite of what we said, but I know you like to argue. (Source)
it is when we are forced us to fight mobs not needed wasting my now-slim play-time ...please reconsider
But that sounds like you're arguing for a dungeon with 3 bosses in the first room.... (Source)
nope cus dungeons have a path and story ...trash has to do with dungeon and since Cata they hint next boss mechanics
Yet players still complain constantly about trash because it delays them from getting to the good stuff. (Source)

I don't want leveling to be easier/quicker. I want repeated content to have less travel/downtime.
We don't think flying makes questing quicker. We think it makes it trivial. There is a difference. (Source)

You guys always talk about player "choice" yet you enforce this issue of no flying. Double standards :|
Actually, we champion interesting decisions. Deciding whether to fly or not is not interesting, b/c flying is always better. (Source)
You will take away whole playstyles. "Fly around and herb + chatting in guild" is not who I want to gamequit.
Those will still exist. Just not at day one on the new continent. (Source)

"This thing I openly admit is not fun or compelling is valuable" is, you understand, a hard sell?
Game design, like much of art, isn't about having an intense experience 100% of the time. (Source)
You need a background upon which the epic stuff can stand against. Travel, easy fights, repairs are all part of the experience. (Source)
In the near term you might not miss them if they were gone, but in the long term, the game might feel like it had less depth. (Source)

Lorewise, what's the reason we can't fly then suddenly, we can... then we can't again?
There isn't a good one. It's not a lore-based decision. (Source)

if thats true then why do you nerf quest xp, RAF, heirlooms etc to make the grind faster?
Because otherwise hitting max level would only take more and more time the longer the game had been out. (Source)
It does NOT mean that we think leveling in a new continent is lame and shouldn't be part of the game. (Source)

why can't you just give mobs a close range dismount ability? So we can still fly high, but not low to skip mobs?
Ultimately, you are still deciding when you want to face danger in the outdoor world. That's not quite the same thing. (Source)

Also, If WoW's an escape from the drudgery of the real world, how are boring commutes until 6.1 making the game more fun?
Is clearing trash a ton of fun? Some things are in the game to provide pacing and cadence. You can't be at 11 all the time. (Source)

That could easily be fixed by adding some "anti-air units" around some quest areas, where it could work anyways.
That either means quest flying is possible but super risky or it's realistically not possible. Either way not much of a difference (Source)

What was wrong with the Wrath model of grounded leveling for main, BoA tome for alts?
If leveling is supposed to be trivial for alts, why not just make them all jump to max level? (Source)

A question: Will the PvP-Zone be a "No-Fly-Zone" even after 6.1 when we get our flying-ability back?
Almost certainly. (Source)

Misc
Are we getting cinematic WOD trailer?
Of course. No ETA. (Source)

Any news on the *clean-up of karazan* stuff being related to pre-expac event ?
Like much of what is data-mined, I would wait for an official announcement before freaking out (pro or con). (Source)

Dark Legacy Comics #416
DLC #416 has been released!

This article was originally published in forum thread: Blizzcon Dev Interview, Next Connected Realms, Blue Posts, Blue Tweets, DLC #416 started by chaud View original post
Comments 139 Comments
  1. Xanwryn's Avatar
    The concept that can't make an Emerald Dream because it would be "one big forest" is a misnomer. The Emerald Dream is not just "one big forest", it's the original blueprints for Azeroth. We associate it with forestry and nature because druids, particularly night elves, flock to it, not because it has to be some evergreen haven, and it's not. The Emerald Nightmare put a stop to most of that, at the very least.

    I can't tell if this is Blizzard's idea of "creativity" or if they're just being willfully ignorant. All their expansions reuse themes, to some degree, and yet they don't repeat the same concept a million different times. Northrend is described as a frozen continent, yet it has tundras and fjords that aren't beholden to the frozen wasteland stereotype. Cataclysm didn't just show us remnants of a scarred world, it shows us further scarring from barren wastelands and barren wastelands evolving into lush rivers and forests.

    This concept that Emerald Dream has to be a forest is the biggest load of bollocks that Blizzard's ever vomited, well, with the exception of a few others, perhaps. It's just downright insulting, not to their fans but to their own designers. Do they think their art team is that unoriginal? If so, perhaps you should look for some new ones, then.

    As for no flight? I'm on the fence for that one. Outside pacing I see no point. Leveling is not dictated by how fast we can fly because we have always required reaching the level cap before we can fly anyway, so in mind, that leaves the idea that it's for "exploration" purposes. That alone is a crock of shit. Exploration is not governed by whether one can fly or not, it's governed by risk vs. reward. Why take the time to explore when players get rewarded more for simply standing in Stormwind or Orgrimmar? Flight or no flight doesn't change that, the lack of it simply makes it less convenient on players when they do head off to do something.

    From a lore perspective it makes no sense and from an end-game gameplay perspective it still makes no sense. Unless they've given much thought to the problem of exploration-based rewards then why bother? At least in games like Guild Wars 2 exploration makes sense, you get more than a mere achievement for exploring an entire zone, and so the lack of flight is encouraging, but on Warcraft you get absolutely nothing but a waste of time and one, meaningless achievement.

    So in short, the problems aren't with flight but with the lack of a reward for exploration. Either fix exploration or don't bother restricting us, because otherwise it's just a major timesink for no tangible gain. I'm still going to sit in a random city somewhere, because why bother riding out past hundreds of mobs for one achievement?
  1. Azrile's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanous View Post
    So they can make a "Story" reason to be back on Draenor, but can't make one for different types of zones in the Emerald Dream...How about the nightmare makes the zones change or the loss of the dragon flights link has let the legion enter it.
    or why not make an expansion where there emerald dream is just one of the zones.. ala Vash. What he is saying and what you are saying are basically the same thing. If the subzones you want inside the emerald dream are not a green forest, then why do they have to be ´inside´ the dream. it is like saying I want an entire expansion inside Vash.. but I want 5 of the zones to not be underwater.

    it is either going to be like the molton front, or like firelands itself.. probably both.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    are you serious right now? the latest examples are Daily grinds and MoP Reputations, where they didnt give in at first, because they thought it was the best thing since sliced bread... and then their resolve crumbled by 5.2, because people couldnt give two hoots about massive timesinks and forced grinds. The big picture here is, they want us to spend more time playing the game for the same or less rewards than before and people arent gonna take it lightly, just like the MoP fiasco, the end.
    It was all relative. People complained so much in Cata about there being no solo content so the devs overcompensated with 5.0 content. Afterwards they realized how alt-unfriendly it was so, yes, 6 months later they nerfed old stuff.

    There is a fine line between calling something a time sink and saying there is not enough to do.
  1. dimitrov's Avatar
    Well Northrend was supposed to be all covered with ice and snow too, but in the end we have even jungle there.. so I don't see the problem with Emerald dream..even when they say that the lore doesn't have place with the good gameplay. I completely agree with no flying till 6.1 but to say that the lore is not important for good gameplay can brake the stupid-meter. Then maybe they can add mounts like lamborghinies and ferarri in the game it would be cool dropping lamborghini from boss and driving in Nagrand with 400 % of speed .. who cares bout the lore
  1. MasterHamster's Avatar
    Would be so dull if they allowed flying right away. First time leveling through a whole new continent avoiding everything between npc and q objective. And then complain how leveling was too easy/quick

    Whether "being grounded" until 6.1 works out remains to be seen.
  1. Kaleredar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Would be so dull if they allowed flying right away. First time leveling through a whole new continent avoiding everything between npc and q objective. And then complain how leveling was too easy/quick

    Whether "being grounded" until 6.1 works out remains to be seen.
    I don't particularly care about "no flying" while leveling (though, as I've said, I think it worked out pretty well with zone design in WotLK,) but at max level, it's just a pain. ESPECIALLY for an entire continent.
  1. Ausr's Avatar
    I kinda laughed at the person who said he'd have to kill mobs on his slim game time. Does he not play now because I can rage through a mob in like 5 seconds.
  1. arcaneshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by balir View Post
    I also reckon that along with No flying, you should HAVE to finish all the zone quests before you level up and leave the zone.
    Yes, because surely that happened in Pandaria... no, wait, it didn't. The first time through I didn't finish Jade Forest and completely skipped Krasarang.
  1. Staticus's Avatar
    it is when we are forced us to fight mobs not needed wasting my now-slim play-time ...please reconsider
    But that sounds like you're arguing for a dungeon with 3 bosses in the first room....
    This is just pathetic...Blizz are no better than anyone on any forum anywhere that take things to extremes to make a point during an argument.

    why can't you just give mobs a close range dismount ability? So we can still fly high, but not low to skip mobs?
    Ultimately, you are still deciding when you want to face danger in the outdoor world. That's not quite the same thing.
    They are also highly ignorant or deliberately ignoring the facts about mobs...there is NO danger WHATSOEVER in the outdoor world, mobs are nothing but slowdowns.

    The fact is, they don't like the fact that we use flying mounts to make max-level farming/grinding/dailies much faster/more efficient, and they want to remove that. I can think of a hundred things they could do to slow us down even more though, and I'm surprised they haven't introduced any of them yet.
  1. Meintastic's Avatar
    I can understand the Emerald Dream not being put in, but not the fact we aren't getting wc4. I hate starcraft 2. The story is good, but the UI is atrocious. Its dark on dark making it hard to see things that you build(icon-wise)

    If no WC4, then find a way to remove all the bots from WC3, so I can actually go back and play it
  1. Lemonpartyfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cptaylor38 View Post
    Do any of these developers have a non-childlike, professional, mindset? Every time I read their responses I just picture some ghetto black girl at a McDonald's drive through snapping her fingers and tossing her weave around while cussing out the paying customer for asking for an extra packet of ketchup. Only, they don't even put THAT much effort into it. It's just a one or two line, "f you, you're wrong and stupid" in a few more words. So condescending!
    Personally I like it. I find it 100% necessary and warranted considering the customer base. These aren't middle aged gentlemen out buying a new TV they are dealing with. Its mostly just people who whine/rage at anything and everything, and barely make the effort to type out a post that makes sense or has correct spelling.

    I've also never seen Blizzard respond anywhere like that. On the contrary, its the rabid fanbase demanding more for less.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Don't be fooled; spoiled brats whining about "flying ruining the game" is the entire reason their trying this little timesink experiment in the first place.


    So you just need to fight whining with whining.



    Icecrown Glacier and Storm Peaks REQUIRED flying to get around in, and they're both regarded as exceptional zones.

    You could NEVER achieve what those two zones achieved by having players travel around on foot. The grand vistas of Ulduar, the carpet of zombies that seethed through Icecrown, the towering mountains... all of those things were possible because FLYING was taken into account while making them. Kun'lai would have benefited greatly by designing its northern reaches with flying in mind; having the entire area traversable by foot makes it feel decidedly smaller and less epic in scale because they had to MAKE it that way.


    And if blizzard is designing zones that "don't ever require flying," then you really aren't going to see zones like Storm Peaks or Icecrown anymore.
    Storm Peaks required flying for only a few quests. You could get around a large portion of Icecrown as well. Either way, they could have easily made FP's or ports for those quests. Plenty of zones in this game were made pre flying, and without flying in mind. Blades Edge? Ferelas?

    I've also never heard Icecrown and Storm Peaks called exceptional. Regardless, ports and FPs make flying not necessary there. Ulduar wasn't even a questing zone. Also, Blizzard has stated dislike for flying mounts, and never stated they are caving to the "no flyers" whines..
  1. thunderdragon2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazlofski View Post
    So happy that they stand on their own tbh and don't give in.

    Giving in always resulted in worse possibilities than what they could have been.
    I see the bigger picture that they are trying to do and I fully support it, sounds way more interesting.
    ill be happy as long as the roumor ive been hearing isnt true that when and if 6.1 has any new content flying will be blocked there till 6.2
  1. Lemonpartyfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    did you read their answers? they didnt actually give a good reason beyond "quiesting is trivial," which is mostly nonissue, if there are no heirlooom books and flying is restricted to max level. they just used slippery slopes with 3 bosses in one room and no trash ever BS answers. They arent creative enough to make people want to stay on the ground, so they just prohibit flying.
    Except, people do bitch about trash mobs all the time. Its not even about creativity, few MMORPGs actually utilize flying mounts. 1-2 that I can think of.
  1. Ruck's Avatar
    What arrogant responses from ghostcrawler. I am gonna laugh when they bite him in the ass one day finally.
  1. iperson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Staticus View Post
    This is just pathetic...Blizz are no better than anyone on any forum anywhere that take things to extremes to make a point during an argument.



    They are also highly ignorant or deliberately ignoring the facts about mobs...there is NO danger WHATSOEVER in the outdoor world, mobs are nothing but slowdowns.

    The fact is, they don't like the fact that we use flying mounts to make max-level farming/grinding/dailies much faster/more efficient, and they want to remove that. I can think of a hundred things they could do to slow us down even more though, and I'm surprised they haven't introduced any of them yet.
    I look forward to seeing the game you design so I can not play it...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    ill be happy as long as the roumor ive been hearing isnt true that when and if 6.1 has any new content flying will be blocked there till 6.2
    What MOP zones added after the expansion can you fly in?
  1. Azzinoth115's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Don't be fooled; spoiled brats whining about "flying ruining the game" is the entire reason their trying this little timesink experiment in the first place.


    So you just need to fight whining with whining.

    Icecrown Glacier and Storm Peaks REQUIRED flying to get around in, and they're both regarded as exceptional zones.

    You could NEVER achieve what those two zones achieved by having players travel around on foot. The grand vistas of Ulduar, the carpet of zombies that seethed through Icecrown, the towering mountains... all of those things were possible because FLYING was taken into account while making them. Kun'lai would have benefited greatly by designing its northern reaches with flying in mind; having the entire area traversable by foot makes it feel decidedly smaller and less epic in scale because they had to MAKE it that way.
    And if blizzard is designing zones that "don't ever require flying," then you really aren't going to see zones like Storm Peaks or Icecrown anymore.
    *he raised his hand and stood, walking forward a few steps and approaching the squabbling circle of admired elders and younglings.*
    It's true and ultimately very sad. Wrath of the Lich King was the first expansion I played and it felt epic, logging in for the first time into the World. Leveling up actually felt like it meant something. Now, like you said, everything is on a much smaller scale and they force "no flying"... like sure, things may be more fun for a little bit, but no one, absolutely no one, enjoys daily grinds without flying mounts. *glares at Isle of Thunder and Timeless Isles.* It would be awesome to revisit Northrend next, as it's been 2 years since we've been in touch with the Scourge and I wonder how Lord Bolvar is doing now that he's taken over. Is everything frostfire now? Or is it still ice? *he shrugged and returned to his seat, he had nothing else to say for the moment.*
  1. Lemonpartyfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    It was literally carpeted with elites in some areas. The entire place was rife with scourge. The massive battlements, tiered buildings; nothing they've made sense has come close to that level of building up the final bad guy.

    You can't beat Storm Peak's scenery or Ambiance. It was an exceptional zone. And I spent three months straight sitting in it waiting for the Time Lost proto drake, and I STILL think it's a great zone.

    I certainly wouldn't have felt that way flying in circles around Shadowmoon or Nagrand. I started to hate shadowmoon valley flying across it to do the Netherwing quests.
    Well, most of Icecrown was a waste. The huge path of elites/zombies had only one quest chain involving them if one at all. ALL the other quests were on the outside of the zone. The FP, The Tourney, the two spires, and two Vrykul areas.. and the UD crafting area.. thats about it. The seething zombies did almost nothing but divide the zone.

    As far as Northrend, Dragonblight was much better. Good story, HUGE BATTLES RAGING, Naxx, ruined keeps and villages, dragon shrines...

    I'm also not sure why you hated SMV. So much lore there. BT, The volcano, lava, elementals, INfernals assaulting Horde and Alliance, ghost riders, ghosts, demons, dragons..
  1. Kaleredar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Storm Peaks required flying for only a few quests. You could get around a large portion of Icecrown as well. Either way, they could have easily made FP's or ports for those quests. Plenty of zones in this game were made pre flying, and without flying in mind. Blades Edge? Ferelas?

    I've also never heard Icecrown and Storm Peaks called exceptional. Regardless, ports and FPs make flying not necessary there. Ulduar wasn't even a questing zone. Also, Blizzard has stated dislike for flying mounts, and never stated they are caving to the "no flyers" whines..
    I'm sorry, but what Icecrown and Storm Peaks are YOU remembering?

    You literally could not progress past perhaps the first five or 10 quests in EITHER zone without flying. This wasn't a matter of finding some hard-to-find road, this was legitimately a sheer insurmountable cliff blocking the way.

    Icecrown? Maybe you could have run along the trackless snow wastes that flanked the zone for a bit on either side, but those weren't anywhere near the actual quests.


    Add in a few flight paths? Again, you clearly do not remember the zones very well. There were giant hills where you'd go for one set of quests (Harpy hill in storm peaks, for example.) There were no roads up there.

    And you know what? The zone was still great.



    Also, in what world is blade's edge mountain a good example of... anything? That place has the dubious honor of being both a pain in the ass to traverse on land AND by air.
  1. Lemonpartyfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I'm sorry, but what Icecrown and Storm Peaks are YOU remembering?

    You literally could not progress past perhaps the first five or 10 quests in EITHER zone without flying. This wasn't a matter of finding some hard-to-find road, this was legitimately a sheer insurmountable cliff blocking the way.

    Icecrown? Maybe you could have run along the trackless snow wastes that flanked the zone for a bit on either side, but those weren't anywhere near the actual quests.


    Add in a few flight paths? Again, you clearly do not remember the zones very well. There were giant hills where you'd go for one set of quests (Harpy hill in storm peaks, for example.) There were no roads up there.

    And you know what? The zone was still great.


    Also, in what world is blade's edge mountain a good example of... anything? That place has the dubious honor of being both a pain in the ass to traverse on land AND by air.
    Having a hill isn't the same as requiring flight. Pure and simple, thats a fact. I would also suggest you go back and honestly try traversing those zones with a ground mount.

    Trackless snow wastes? Try again man. Blades Edge was a pretty cool zone. Everyone loved it on my server. Its a good example, because it shows they can make mountains and cliffs without requiring FPs or Flight... AGAIN.
  1. Kaleredar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Well, most of Icecrown was a waste. The huge path of elites/zombies had only one quest chain involving them if one at all. ALL the other quests were on the outside of the zone. The FP, The Tourney, the two spires, and two Vrykul areas.. and the UD crafting area.. thats about it. The seething zombies did almost nothing but divide the zone.
    Actually, the central vrykul area was in the middle of the zone, and there were several different quests where you went down into the glacier to deal with the undead... including the one where you got to be Arthas.

    Though I'm not entirely sure what "being on the edge of the zone" really has to do with anything. They were most definitely integral parts of the zone. And you want to talk about Lore? ICECROWN is your "lore final zone," certainly not Shadowmoon valley.

    As far as Northrend, Dragonblight was much better. Good story, HUGE BATTLES RAGING, Naxx, ruined keeps and villages, dragon shrines...
    Dragonblight was the epitome of flat and boring. It had charm in some of the forest regions and under naxx, but beyond that... that was it.


    I'm also not sure why you hated SMV. So much lore there. BT, The volcano, lava, elementals, INfernals assaulting Horde and Alliance, ghost riders, ghosts, demons, dragons..
    "lore" doesn't mean jack diddly if you don't tell it well. At NO POINT in Burning Crusade was lore ever explicated upon or made a major event; shadowmoon valley is absolutely no exception. I don't feel that saying "BUT ILLIDAN WAS THERE!" actually means "good lore was told."

    As far as lava, volcanoes, and elementals? Yeah, that kind of looks cool to begin with, but when the ENTIRE ZONE is "ruins, lava, and volcanoes," all in the same neon green and black, it gets kind of tiresome.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Having a hill isn't the same as requiring flight. Pure and simple, thats a fact. I would also suggest you go back and honestly try traversing those zones with a ground mount.
    Well I know that you can't get to the harpy area on foot, can't get to the alliance FP on foot, can't actually go BETWEEN the zones on foot (Engine of the makers is completely walled off by mountains,) can't get from the bottom of the ZONE to any of the higher areas on foot, can't get across to Ulduar on foot, can't get over to the storm giant/vrykul area on foot, which itself is completely seperated from the questing/southern Ulduar complex...

    If you wanted to get super technical, the entire zone is roughly broken into five or so giant subregions that can't be accessed from one another, and are extremely mountainous AND spread out within themselves, and a myriad of questing areas up on the tops of cliffs that are inaccessible from any of the points on the ground.

    Trackless snow wastes? Try again man.
    Icecrown was very much full of trackless snow wastes.

    Blades Edge was a pretty cool zone. Everyone loved it on my server. Its a good example, because it shows they can make mountains and cliffs without requiring FPs or Flight... AGAIN.
    Blade's edge "mountains?" More like "blade's edge plateaus." It was little chunks of flat land striated up and down some hills that were roughly connected into something about black dragons and ogres.

    I'm sorry, but from almost every point, blade's edge was a pretty crappy zone. When the best thing about it is that "it has some cool raptor NPCs," that's not saying much.
  1. Lemonpartyfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Actually, the central vrykul area was in the middle of the zone, and there were several different quests where you went down into the glacier to deal with the undead... including the one where you got to be Arthas.

    Though I'm not entirely sure what "being on the edge of the zone" really has to do with anything. They were most definitely integral parts of the zone. And you want to talk about Lore? ICECROWN is your "lore final zone," certainly not Shadowmoon valley.



    Dragonblight was the epitome of flat and boring. It had charm in some of the forest regions and under naxx, but beyond that... that was it.

    "lore" doesn't mean jack diddly if you don't tell it well. At NO POINT in Burning Crusade was lore ever explicated upon or made a major event; shadowmoon valley is absolutely no exception. I don't feel that saying "BUT ILLIDAN WAS THERE!" actually means "good lore was told."

    As far as lava, volcanoes, and elementals? Yeah, that kind of looks cool to begin with, but when the ENTIRE ZONE is "ruins, lava, and volcanoes," all in the same neon green and black, it gets kind of tiresome.
    The central Vrykul area you could walk to. Look at the Icecrown map, the dark blue is almost nothing. Only a few quests require you to go there. The majority of quests are on the outsides of the zones, most of which you can walk to on foot.

    Dragonblight also had valleys, and mountains. Underground caves, shores, cities, keeps and etc. Massive Mountains =/=always good zone. BEM would be an amazing zone with that logic.

    I also doubt your knowledge of the lore, as its very very very very limited I guess.

    Its also ironic you mention an entire zone looking the same. DO you think Icecrown was that drastic or dynamic? Most snow and hills and ICC. White or blue..

Site Navigation