MMO-Champion - Ghostcrawler to leave Blizzard Entertainment
Ghostcrawler to leave Blizzard Entertainment
Ghostcrawler announced this morning on Facebook that he will be leaving Blizzard Entertainment to pursue a "great opportunity for something new and exciting". I don't usually share my opinions in news post, so there's a tweet with my full thoughts on the subject.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Ghostcrawler to leave Blizzard Entertainment started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 1111 Comments
  1. Mazzic518's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StrayFox View Post
    GC did an amazing job and even went on Twitter and talked to people every day! I'm happy he left because now he can take a break from such a vile community such as World of Warcraft's.

    Thanks for being there GC, I'm happy for yas.
    Well said. This is how I feel also.
  1. Kaleredar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    Speaking from a business standpoint:

    Xanzul's trolling finally caught up to him. Janefreedland, Meiyun, and many, many, others say hello along with all the others you wrongfully banned from the WoW forums for voicing honest complaints over CRZ and other design visions. See what being "Bullish" gets you now? Do you understand finally why we were so against it? Why we warned you that after the mess of Cataclysm only 1 more mistake would be tolerated by your employers? We weren't trolling you. We were trying to help you.
    I highly doubt he was "fired" by Blizzard. There's really no evidence to support that.

    It boils down to either taking him at his word or taking the word of random people on the internet saying "well of course he'd SAY that's what happened..."

    I'm inclined to go with the first.
  1. The Penguin's Avatar
    In Activision things rarely go that way. Firing someone is a complicated affair in California.

    I suspect there was a acceptance that resignation would occur within X Hours however. Point remains though.
    Remove CRZ now that Coalesced Realms exist and you will easily see a major uptick of subs.
  1. gamingmuscle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    Remove CRZ now that Coalesced Realms exist and you will easily see a major uptick of subs.
    Yeah that is total bullshit. LOL
  1. Hyperspeed's Avatar
    lol at all the hatred, you realize he was just a scapegoat for the decisions of a large design team, and will only be replaced by a new scapegoat and the game will see no major change for better or worse.
  1. Celista's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torais View Post
    That gave me an honest to god good laugh. If that is only half true that made my day.

    Part of me wishes they followed through on it (though I suspect some of the recent concessions to Hunters may have been fallout from that) but to be honest we really don't need another Xelnath-type situation where a dev has so much passion they throw themselves on barbed wire only in the end up making a sacrifice in vain. Blizzard needs more developers with passion and dedication to their class, not the few that do martyring themselves.
    I absolutely agree. Honestly I didn't know what was happening w/hunters until I talked to this particular friend a few months back and it was mentioned. The situation with Xelnath was unfortunate

    I was surprised at the mention of so much dissention between GC and his class teams, I assumed that he left Blizzard due being the fall guy for subscription losses, or that he decided to leave for greener pastures (although there are few positions within the industry that would be an upgrade from his current position, unless he was offered lead game designer somewhere).

    Who knows what the real reason is, this is (as it was told to me) simply intra-company rumor among the class devs.
  1. zolok2.0's Avatar
    YES. We used to imagine this day with a great yearning, and it is finally upon us. Oh sweet, sweet, victory
  1. Razorice's Avatar
    You people make me sick.
    GC was a pretty nice guy.
  1. Kaleredar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    In Activision things rarely go that way. Firing someone is a complicated affair in California.

    I suspect there was a acceptance that resignation would occur within X Hours however.
    Based on your intimate knowledge of the situation and Blizzard's inner workings. I'm so very sure...

    Maybe GC found a job that paid more and didn't require him tweeting all day with vindictive pricks. I'd be more inclined to take that job too.
  1. blehmeh's Avatar
    First of all, if you really believe he simply just "left" his position of lead game designer of literally the most popular and successful MMO of all time, you're an idiot. It may sound harsh, but you have to look at the reality of big business.

    It's not good publicity for company's to outright fire big named employees. It's been shown over and over again with CEO's and other people in very high positions to suddenly "step down", and every single time its right after a huge financial hit or crisis. And were supposed to believe that crisis has nothing to do with that decision? You are simply not understanding the reality of how big business works to think that this isn't anything more then a straight up "fire them politely so we don't take bad press" situation. But seriously, when was the last time a huge financial hit was taken and the person in charge was publicly fired with a "he wasn't competent" for an explanation? NEVER. You need to understand just how much thought goes into public perception when so much money is on the line with every word.

    Example, Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb. He was fired for gamespot for a bad review, told he wasn't trusted, and had to sign a confidentially agreement which basically said that he HAD to say that he "left". There were conspiracy theory's galore and people were called crazy, but once he was rehired recently to CBS the truth came out and he could finally say that he was indeed fired directly as a result of the bad review. He would always say when people would ask him if he was fired and he would always reply "I'm legally not allowed to talk about it". This may not be how it works every single time, but it can and does happen, and to dismiss this as a possibility for ghostcrawler is just ridiculous.

    The other thing that needs to be noted that since ghostcrawlers arrival, that the sub numbers have dropped 40% or so. That's an INCREDIBLE amount of money lost, that is indeed a crisis. The other thing that needs to be brought to attention is the idea that those numbers are simply from a game getting old. That's of course a factor but that's not the only factor. Online games have shown time and time again to gain players when players are enjoying themselves and lose players when they are not, and game systems WITHOUT QUESTION have an impact on peoples enjoyment levels. Look at any MMO that goes free to play, how about FF11 (that game is even older then wow and recently went through a huge sub increase) and FF14? team fortress 2 even. Player numbers go way up with good and friendly design, and when people become frustrated they leave. That is a huge factor and imo is a way bigger factor then just "the game is old", that excuse is thrown out WAY too often and is simply not enough to justify such a dramatic sub loss.

    Now, considering you're still here reading this brings me to the next part: That things WILL change as a result of him "leaving". Look at Jay Wilson and Diablo 3. D3 was absolutely terrible at launch and has been making more and more steps to becoming at least better with every patch since his "leaving". It took a long time and many patches to undo the work/damage that was done by Wilson, and once the AH is finally put down and the expansion is implemented, the game will be able to move forward.

    This is not to say that WoW will no doubt become better or anything like most people here are saying, but the game WILL change. To think otherwise you simply don't understand how much power a "lead systems designer" has over a games development.
  1. chris885's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    If Blizzard is a sinking ship, then 99% of other game developers never left drydock.

    The hate people leveled at him is ridiculous. He nerfed your class a few times? That's called game balance. Considering balance the latter half of WoW's lifetime has been consistantly pretty good (especially compared to Classic and much of TBC) I'd say he did a pretty damn good job.

    And before anyone mentions PvP, all I can say is L2P. That's the sort of language people like that tend to understand, right?

    I can not agree with you about the game balance. I say that game balance that he did is completely crap. Look at DPS DK's situation on PVE. All classes feel the same all can heal all can interrupt. PvE paid way so much to PvP and he or Blizzard can never balance it.
  1. Kaleredar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blehmeh View Post

    This is not to say that WoW will no doubt become better or anything like most people here are saying, but the game WILL change. To think otherwise you simply don't understand how much power a "lead systems designer" has over a games development.
    He was part of a team. He wasn't a guy sitting alone just switchin' buff/nerf levers around.

    It would be very, very hollow for Blizzard to "fire" him because of the loss of sub numbers tied to whatever shallow reason you or others might think people left the game over. He was not the one who initiated the changes "all by himself," nor is he the only blue poster, high-ranking or otherwise, that discusses them or their implementation. Now, the "GC haters" might not know or want to acknowledge that as a fact, but I'm fairly certain Blizzard knows the situation.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by chris885 View Post
    I can not agree with you about the game balance. I say that game balance that he did is completely crap. Look at DPS DK's situation on PVE. All classes feel the same all can heal all can interrupt. PvE paid way so much to PvP and he or Blizzard can never balance it.
    Yeah and when was it "better balanced," exactly?

    Vanilla? Don't even attempt to say that.
    Burning Crusade... Hehe no...

    The only instance people may have had to misconstrue those as "balanced" is that they could obtain gear that let them utterly demolish people who weren't geared in the exact same way. And of course people, believing themselves good, would just craterstomp anyone who tried to stand in their way and think it was "balanced."
  1. blehmeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    He was part of a team. He wasn't a guy sitting alone just switchin' buff/nerf levers around.

    It would be very, very hollow for Blizzard to "fire" him because of the loss of sub numbers tied to whatever shallow reason you or others might think people left the game over. He was not the one who initiated the changes "all by himself," nor is he the only blue poster, high-ranking or otherwise, that discusses them or their implementation. Now, the "GC haters" might not know or want to acknowledge that as a fact, but I'm fairly certain Blizzard knows the situation.
    Did I say he is in charge of everything? You even have a quote saying "all by himself" no where did I even say that.

    I'm saying this will impact the games development, whether or not you can understand that. Being a Lead Developer is a significant position, with a lot of direct control. Btw, I never even stated whether or not I like him or not, and it seems you're attempting to group me with the "haters" group.

    Your "reply" reeks of you not even reading my post. I showed a very classic example of a company firing an employee and essentially legally forcing them to say, when asked "I left". So its entirely possible, because it happens, more then you think.

    Besides, a 40% sub loss is not a "shallow reason", you need to grasp the amount of income that is.
  1. Barnabas's Avatar
    I saw this coming at blizzcon when they announced all that shuffling of people for different games. GC was around for the rise and the fall of wow in popularity. I don't really have any complaints about his contributions towards game design for the past 6 years. WoW is pretty fun game despite some things people don't like. I wish him luck in his new project.
  1. Kaleredar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blehmeh View Post

    Besides, a 40% sub loss is not a "shallow reason", you need to grasp the amount of income that is.
    This underlies the entirety of your post; that the 40% sub loss is tied to his design decisions and subsequently why he was 'let go.' Seeing as he, in your view, seems to be getting the axe, the only logical pinning to your argument is that Blizzard feels it's therefore his fault... something I don't think they'd be so shortsighted as to believe.
  1. mystery8's Avatar
    What I couldn't believe is that he plays a Holy Priest? The man goes out there and takes all kind of fire from everybody. I thought he'd have been a frakkin' Tank.
  1. Mormolyce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torais View Post
    To be fair, the issue of stock is pretty much completely irrelevant when it comes to this topic. WoW is not Blizzard-Activision and even Blizzard itself is not Blizzard-Activision. Stock prices are a reflection of a company's worth as a whole, not just one game out of a line-up of many.

    Also comparing stock prices during the lifetime of WoW is especially foolish. Activision and Blizzard didn't even merge until half way through the timeline of the game which made massive differences all around.
    He said he'd be mad if he'd had $10mil invested in Blizzard (meaning A-B these days), I showed him how it would perform if he had.

    He brought up stock not me

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    Speaking from a business standpoint:

    Xanzul's trolling finally caught up to him. Janefreedland, Meiyun, and many, many, others say hello along with all the others you wrongfully banned from the WoW forums for voicing honest complaints over CRZ and other design visions. See what being "Bullish" gets you now? Do you understand finally why we were so against it? Why we warned you that after the mess of Cataclysm only 1 more mistake would be tolerated by your employers? We weren't trolling you. We were trying to help you.


    To the new Dev:

    Can we have that polished turd called CRZ removed now?
    Never ceases to amaze me how myopic some people can be that they think their one gripe with some part of the game influences whether GC gets fired or not (or in this case, accepts a new job lol). Or how deluded they are that they think another dev will agree with them and remove a feature a lot of people like, and is for the best for the game's future anyway.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    In Activision things rarely go that way. Firing someone is a complicated affair in California.

    I suspect there was a acceptance that resignation would occur within X Hours however. Point remains though.
    Remove CRZ now that Coalesced Realms exist and you will easily see a major uptick of subs.
    WTF? Coalesced Realms are the other half of CRZ. CRZ shares the realms outdoors, CR shares them in major cities, AHs and raids. Both of them together are the solution aimed at low pop realms. And helps fill in abandoned zones as a bonus.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by zolok2.0 View Post
    YES. We used to imagine this day with a great yearning, and it is finally upon us. Oh sweet, sweet, victory
    The victory where GC leaves for a better job of his own accord?

    Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    You people make me sick.
    Yeah that.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by mystery8 View Post
    What I couldn't believe is that he plays a Holy Priest? The man goes out there and takes all kind of fire from everybody. I thought he'd have been a frakkin' Tank.
    LOL. I do remember him talking about his prot warrior once, he played multiple toons. Apparently holy priest was his main though, what an awesome twist! Best part.
  1. blehmeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    This underlies the entirety of your post; that the 40% sub loss is tied to his design decisions and subsequently why he was 'let go.' Seeing as he, in your view, seems to be getting the axe, the only logical pinning to your argument is that Blizzard feels it's therefore his fault... something I don't think they'd be so shortsighted as to believe.
    I really think you need to read my posts with unbiased eyes.

    You seem to be saying that its just not possible to be fired because of this reason.

    I'm saying people have been fired for WAY LESS, and have had to publicly say they left.

    The main point I'm trying to make is that its POSSIBLE, and stated why I believe that. And the second point I'm trying to make is that the development process will change as a result of him no longer working there, as this has been proven multiple times in the past.

    Okay? So please stop trying to inject your perception of other peoples opinions into my posts. Thanks.
  1. The Penguin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Based on your intimate knowledge of the situation and Blizzard's inner workings. I'm so very sure...

    Maybe GC found a job that paid more and didn't require him tweeting all day with vindictive pricks. I'd be more inclined to take that job too.

    This may sound completely shocking, but I don't care what you think; nor do I feel like risking my identity by proving to you why I am so certain of this being the case. So! I'll simply repeat that in Activision things rarely go that way. The whole idea of a scenario like the Jetsons where Mr. Spacely just bellows out "JETSON! YOUR FIRED!" Does not happen. Why? Firing someone is a complicated affair in California.

    If I had to guess for a reason? I'd analogy it to say the Simpsons where Krusty the Clown, finally shows up at Camp Krusty and is like. "WHA!?"
  1. Drutt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blehmeh View Post
    First of all, if you really believe he simply just "left" his position of lead game designer of literally the most popular and successful MMO of all time, you're an idiot. It may sound harsh, but you have to look at the reality of big business.
    This is a silly thing to say. It doesn't matter how big your current employer is, if you get a better offer elsewhere, you take it.

    I moved from the largest employer in my state to a small company with 1% of the number of employees recently. I'm significantly better off for it, in every possible way.

    Blizzard being successful in their market has nothing to do with GC's personal career trajectory. If he got a better offer elsewhere, he'd have been insane to turn it down.

    I'm sure the vindictive part of the community would love nothing more than for him to have been removed from his position, but the fact is he probably got a higher paying position elsewhere and good luck to him with that.

    Honestly, the conspiracy theories...incredible.

Site Navigation