MMO-Champion - Ghostcrawler to leave Blizzard Entertainment
Ghostcrawler to leave Blizzard Entertainment
Ghostcrawler announced this morning on Facebook that he will be leaving Blizzard Entertainment to pursue a "great opportunity for something new and exciting". I don't usually share my opinions in news post, so there's a tweet with my full thoughts on the subject.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Ghostcrawler to leave Blizzard Entertainment started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 1111 Comments
  1. Verain's Avatar
    Man, that guy actually made me want to work for Blizzard, with all the lifedrama and awfulstate that would entail. It's a goddamned shame he's leaving.

    I doubt that the next guy will be bad or anything, but such a variety of excellent observations and wit pretty much meant that GC was an informative and entertaining part of the game. I still remember when he first started posting and he was revealing the secrets of how the game is made to be compelling and cool and I was just like "holy crap, this guy not only has the balls to say this stuff, but he has the brain to actually write it coherently, and the soul to actually give enough of a shit that he's willing to talk with the players".


    Game will be less without him around. Blizzard is losing a competitive advantage imo :P
  1. Norlamin's Avatar
    Oh god, abandon ship! There's no longer any hope for WoW! Greg has seen the future of this game and knows where it's headed! Everyone, pack your bags, it's over!
  1. gamingmuscle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    If they're nudged out? No. Depends really.
    Either way it's an assumption and well I personally don't give those much value.
  1. Mall Security's Avatar
    I am probably one of the biggest non fans of GC, but I neither think he is the beginning or end of the problems that plagued Blizzard, and if that were the reason for him leaving, there are a few others that should go right along with him. My problem with GC never had anything to do with class balance or his personal opinion outside of the company, and his role.

    My problem came from his being the ultimate representation in my view of Blizzard and the over all attitude that has permeated long before his promotion, and it is that which is coming back to haunt WoW, GC is just a symptom, bad attitude, complete disrespect for the fan base that helped build, WoW, was destroyed by arrogance, and complete ignorance on the part of the entire company.

    So yeah, this doesn't make me happy, I think some saying "Good Riddance" have no clue exactly what his leaving means, and I don't think it is going to fix anything.
  1. Shudder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    I guess that GC's mistake was talking to the community. People seem to think that he was in charge of the entire game. It's hilarious and equally sad.
    Nah the problem is you're assuming. Someone says "thank god he's gone" and you immediately assume they think he was the be all and end all of every game decision. Which you annoyingly have to remind everyone on every fucking page. Here's a tip, if someone is glad to see him go and they don't give a reason, you have no fucking clue what they think he did. I'm seeing a ton of people on other fan sites cheering in the streets because they disliked what he did with class balance. Which btw was what he was in charge of. So them saying "good riddance" could easily mean they dislike the decisions he made. But it's more fun to just assume they think he came up with pandas and lfr right? Cause you so edgy!
  1. KClovesGaming's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlamin View Post
    Oh god, abandon ship! There's no longer any hope for WoW! Greg has seen the future of this game and knows where it's headed! Everyone, pack your bags, it's over!
    I keep having a nice chuckle with some people who are saying that it's about time and that the game will start to finally "get better" now that he's left. The game isn't going to change back to what it "used to be", so people need to stop living in their nostalgia bubble. Greg is leaving for new job that he obviously couldn't pass up (good for him, I wish him luck), but to suggest that the game will change a lot now that he's gone is asinine.
  1. Imhere's Avatar
    All I can say atm is



    lol....just lol
  1. Umbrokill's Avatar
    I always liked Greg, sad to see him leave.
  1. Paulosio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moradim View Post
    all we need now is someone to replace metzen as the lore creator and things will be perfect.
    Wasn't it meant to be Tom Chilton who was the major player in the theme of the next xpac ?
  1. Moradim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    Wasn't it meant to be Tom Chilton who was the major player in the theme of the next xpac ?
    but it's metzen who has the hard-on for orcs. doubt it.
  1. Kaeleena's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KClovesGaming View Post
    I keep having a nice chuckle with some people who are saying that it's about time and that the game will start to finally "get better" now that he's left. The game isn't going to change back to what it "used to be", so people need to stop living in their nostalgia bubble. Greg is leaving for new job that he obviously couldn't pass up (good for him, I wish him luck), but to suggest that the game will change a lot now that he's gone is asinine.
    It's not nostalgia when I can go play on a private server and have more fun than MoP.
  1. Shokat's Avatar
    Actually, this is kinda sad. He loved his job. Hope he won't come to regret his decision.
  1. gamingmuscle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleena View Post
    They also don't understand that anyone with even a single penny left on a game time card in China counts as a sub. People who quit in vanilla and TBC who didn't use up the full allotment of time on their game cards still count towards that 7 million sub number.
    Is this actually true? And if it is, is is wrong to? It does seem silly to me, but I can see why it technically has to be considered an active account. If you can't do say a monthly access charge, but instead sell actual game time. So long as the balance is positive that account probably is required to remain active legally speaking....even if the activity on that account is non existent. If theres no mechanism to reduce to the balance on the account...like an inactivity charge or a charge if balance is remaining after X time like giftcard's some time have. The account will remain technically open. That's why things like box sales are important.
  1. aikoyamamato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shokat View Post
    Actually, this is kinda sad. He loved his job. Hope he won't come to regret his decision.
    He seems pretty excited so he probably found a pretty good deal. Maybe something outside of games, even. Time to put that PhD to good use, GC!
  1. Xayl1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    Wasn't it meant to be Tom Chilton who was the major player in the theme of the next xpac ?
    I think it's likely Kosak considering he is lead Narrative designer for Warlords.
  1. Kaeleena's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    Is this actually true? And if it is, is is wrong to? It does seem silly to me, but I can see why it technically has to be considered an active account. If you can't do say a monthly access charge, but instead sell actual game time. So long as the balance is positive that account probably is required to remain active legally speaking....even if the activity on that account is non existent. If theres no mechanism to reduce to the balance on the account...like an inactivity charge or a charge if balance is remaining after X time like giftcard's some time have. The account will remain technically open. That's why things like box sales are important.
    Chinese players don't buy boxes. The game time card allows them to open a new account or apply it to a current one.
  1. Agnar's Avatar
    He probably realized WoW is nearing the end of it's life and it would be best to start looking for better opportunities.
  1. Tahuun's Avatar
    Nooo. I will miss him so much. :/
    Contrary to some loud forum haters, he actually knew what he was doing, had some witty humor and A CRAP TON of patience to deal with all these aggressive posts toward him on forums.

    /RESPECT
  1. Deathpony's Avatar
    Hurray! Finally! Anyone who didn't see this one coming for the last year has been blind to Dev events. Don't let the door hit you on the way out! Good riddance to bad rubbish!
  1. Henkdejager's Avatar
    This is...shocking.

Site Navigation