MMO-Champion - Ghostcrawler to leave Blizzard Entertainment
Ghostcrawler to leave Blizzard Entertainment
Ghostcrawler announced this morning on Facebook that he will be leaving Blizzard Entertainment to pursue a "great opportunity for something new and exciting". I don't usually share my opinions in news post, so there's a tweet with my full thoughts on the subject.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Ghostcrawler to leave Blizzard Entertainment started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 1111 Comments
  1. Kaleredar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    This may sound completely shocking, but I don't care what you think; nor do I feel like risking my identity by proving to you why I am so certain of this being the case. So! I'll simply repeat that in Activision things rarely go that way. The whole idea of a scenario like the Jetsons where Mr. Spacely just bellows out "JETSON! YOUR FIRED!" Does not happen. Why? Firing someone is a complicated affair in California.

    If I had to guess for a reason? I'd analogy it to say the Simpsons where Krusty the Clown, finally shows up at Camp Krusty and is like. "WHA!?"
    So you're claiming something with absolutely no proof and saying we should believe you for it.


    Yeeeahhh not going to happen.


    I was once accused of 'working for Blizzard' by someone on this forum, does that give my posts authority?
  1. Celista's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    Why? Firing someone is a complicated affair in California.
    Firing someone in California and most other states is actually rather straightforward due to at-will employment laws. What is often complicated, however, is the nature of employment contracts, particularly for high-level corporate positions, which typically have stipulations that supercede at-will laws.
  1. Suffer the Consequences's Avatar
    Who will you all scapegoat now?
  1. blehmeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    This is a silly thing to say. It doesn't matter how big your current employer is, if you get a better offer elsewhere, you take it.

    I moved from the largest employer in my state to a small company with 1% of the number of employees recently. I'm significantly better off for it, in every possible way.

    Blizzard being successful in their market has nothing to do with GC's personal career trajectory. If he got a better offer elsewhere, he'd have been insane to turn it down.

    I'm sure the vindictive part of the community would love nothing more than for him to have been removed from his position, but the fact is he probably got a higher paying position elsewhere and good luck to him with that.

    Honestly, the conspiracy theories...incredible.
    You really think theres a better offer then lead developer (top position) at blizzard (company that breaks sales records every release/expansion) for WoW (most popular MMO/highest grossing game ever)? That's just not possible, sorry.

    You say conspiracy therory, but look at Jeff Gerstmann. They did the exact same thing to him for a REVIEW of a game. Theres no conspiracy here, its straight fact, look it up. I'm simply stating its a possibility, and my belief why I think that is, you just have to use your brain to see how easily it could happen (because it happens all the time).
  1. Mormolyce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blehmeh View Post
    You really think theres a better offer then lead developer (top position) at blizzard (company that breaks sales records every release/expansion) for WoW (most popular MMO/highest grossing game ever)? That's just not possible, sorry.
    Um yes of course there are.

    Anyway, define "better". There's a lot of reasons to leave a job. Just branching out and doing something fresh after working on the same project for 5 years is one.

    WoW devs are in kind of a unique position, closest thing the industry has to a regular gig. Most studios crank out new games every year or so, they don't nurse 3 franchises for decades.
  1. Kaleredar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Who will you all scapegoat now?
    Whatever poor soul takes his place.

    Honestly, what they should do is just have the team without any designated public "lead," and have all posts come from generic "Blizzard" blue posts.
  1. Paulosio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darkvexen View Post
    can we get 40 man raids back now?
    Yep lets make raids that most of the player base wont be able to run on their PC's (including probably you) and that the game itself probably couldn't handle.

    Have you heard how much the game lags for people in 25 player guilds on some fights ? I'm talking about actual input game lag rather than something to do with people's computers.

    It was ok in some of those old raids with incredibly low detail instances and stuff.. but different with what blizz are producing nowadays. Higher resolution character models will make this more of a problem in future too.
  1. blehmeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Um yes of course there are.

    Anyway, define "better". There's a lot of reasons to leave a job. Just branching out and doing something fresh after working on the same project for 5 years is one.

    WoW devs are in kind of a unique position, closest thing the industry has to a regular gig. Most studios crank out new games every year or so, they don't nurse 3 franchises for decades.
    "Better" imply's more stable, higher paying, more freedom/control. Those things.

    He is literally the creme of the crop, in terms of development positions. There is no way to get a "better" job then that.

    Sure its possible that he just wanted a change of pace, just as its possible to win the lottery, or get struck by lightning.

    I just find it hilariously ironic that the same people saying "oh conspiracy theory lol!" to me and people who share the same opinion as me, are the same people claiming that he found a "better offer". There's more evidence to support my theory then yours.
  1. Ethyrian's Avatar
    I have absolutely nothing against Ghostcrawler at all. I think he's done a pretty good job over the years and he seems like a swell guy. That said I'm really excited to see who replaces him. New face, new ideas, new direction. Shake it up alittle bit
  1. The Penguin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    So you're claiming something with absolutely no proof and saying we should believe you for it.


    Yeeeahhh not going to happen.
    I do not recall saying you had to believe a single word I said.

    But I will say it nonetheless because it is my opinion, and as valid as your own. Funny how that works, eh?
  1. banestalker's Avatar
    ... does that mean he's going to post in MMO-champ from now on? :3
  1. zoomgpally's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    WoW lost 5 million subs because of him.
    Now he jumps out of the ship.

    Sinking fast.
    Because of him?

    Prove it or stop throwing accusations around
  1. Taftvalue's Avatar
    people that blame everything on one person are kinda naive, sure the game got worse, but it's not the fault of ONE man, it's the fault of an entire team, luckily the old devs are back now, so WoD might actually be a great expansion
  1. zoomgpally's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    It really remains to be seen on why he left. I don't buy this whole 'great new opportunity' fluff.

    Its either because he got tired of all the bitching being swung his way on his decisions made in the game, or he became fed up with the direction the game is going in.

    If wow keeps declining the way it had been, which it is, slowly, then perhaps he left because of this.
    After all the bitching, ANY job would be a "great new opportunity"...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I was once accused of 'working for Blizzard' by someone on this forum, does that give my posts authority?
    It means you need to stop slacking and start posting leaks
    I want to know all boss mechanics for the next 3 expansions RIGHT NOW!

    ;P

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    Yep lets make raids that most of the player base wont be able to run on their PC's (including probably you) and that the game itself probably couldn't handle.

    Have you heard how much the game lags for people in 25 player guilds on some fights ? I'm talking about actual input game lag rather than something to do with people's computers.

    It was ok in some of those old raids with incredibly low detail instances and stuff.. but different with what blizz are producing nowadays. Higher resolution character models will make this more of a problem in future too.
    Enough for blizzard to have to increase time between events, the shaman raidcooldown totem is one
  1. blehmeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    After all the bitching, ANY job would be a "great new opportunity"...
    Except he voluntarily spoke with the public, continuously.... for years.
  1. Mormolyce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blehmeh View Post
    "Better" imply's more stable, higher paying, more freedom/control. Those things.

    He is literally the creme of the crop, in terms of development positions. There is no way to get a "better" job then that.

    Sure its possible that he just wanted a change of pace, just as its possible to win the lottery, or get struck by lightning.

    I just find it hilariously ironic that the same people saying "oh conspiracy theory lol!" to me and people who share the same opinion as me, are the same people claiming that he found a "better offer". There's more evidence to support my theory then yours.
    Are you a senior game developer in California? You don't know what they pay. Just because he's in a prominent position in a highly lucrative game doesn't mean another studio wouldn't be able to give him a better offer, either pay-wise or career progression-wise. If he's really that well regarded a studio might try to poach him for example.

    It's not just a change of pace, if you work on the same thing too long there's a risk of stagnating, I see it in my industry as well. It's not good for your career.
  1. blehmeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Are you a senior game developer in California? You don't know what they pay. Just because he's in a prominent position in a highly lucrative game doesn't mean another studio wouldn't be able to give him a better offer, either pay-wise or career progression-wise.
    Hahaha, great joke man. Really good stuff...

    Oh wait, you're serious.
  1. Mormolyce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    people that blame everything on one person are kinda naive, sure the game got worse, but it's not the fault of ONE man, it's the fault of an entire team, luckily the old devs are back now, so WoD might actually be a great expansion
    Yeah, just throw in attunement chains, resist gear and remove achievements and the subs will hit 100 million amirite?

    ^ Assuming that the old devs are stuck in the past simply because they worked on the game back then. And that had they continued to work on the game, they wouldn't have chosen to evolve the game in obvious ways just like GC et al did.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by blehmeh View Post
    Hahaha, great joke man. Really good stuff...

    Oh wait, you're serious.
    Oh, you aren't.
  1. Taftvalue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Yeah, just throw in attunement chains, resist gear and remove achievements and the subs will hit 100 million amirite?

    ^ Assuming that the old devs are stuck in the past simply because they worked on the game back then. And that had they continued to work on the game, they wouldn't have chosen to evolve the game in obvious ways just like GC et al did.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Oh, you aren't.
    it's not about features, it's about stuff like streamlining everything that goes against the nature of a role playing game, attunemet chains are awesome, resistance gear is awesome, achievements are awesome and yeah I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have evolved the game into what it is today, ghostcrawler and his team are balance fanatics, imo immersion and class identity must never suffer due to balance, which both clearly did; Id rather get oneshot a thousand times by an op class than having every class feel the same; Id rather have some classes perform better in raids than others if it means that they are unique, distinctive classes, the game didnt lose millions of people because it got a few years older, the game was old back in Wrath too, no no the game lost players because the players didnt like the game anymore as much as they used to; look at eve it's GAINING subs and how old is it, no idea, but old; cs 1.6 is still pretty active; blaming the sub losses on the game's age is the easy way out and sure as hell not the absolute truth
  1. Emzky's Avatar
    is he a scapegoat?

Site Navigation