MMO-Champion - Ghostcrawler to leave Blizzard Entertainment
Ghostcrawler to leave Blizzard Entertainment
Ghostcrawler announced this morning on Facebook that he will be leaving Blizzard Entertainment to pursue a "great opportunity for something new and exciting". I don't usually share my opinions in news post, so there's a tweet with my full thoughts on the subject.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Ghostcrawler to leave Blizzard Entertainment started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 1111 Comments
  1. axell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lockdown1 View Post
    I was actually just trolling you, I haven't played wow for months and could not care less who joins or leaves wow.

    I had fun.


    /10char
  1. Animaneth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    If Blizzard is a sinking ship, then 99% of other game developers never left drydock.

    The hate people leveled at him is ridiculous. He nerfed your class a few times? That's called game balance. Considering balance the latter half of WoW's lifetime has been consistantly pretty good (especially compared to Classic and much of TBC) I'd say he did a pretty damn good job.

    And before anyone mentions PvP, all I can say is L2P. That's the sort of language people like that tend to understand, right?
    Dice, Ubisoft Montreal, Bethestha, Epic Games, even the studios behind CoD want to speak with you about that "never left the drydock" analogy. Specially Epic Games, whose Unreal Engine is perhaps one of the widest used game engines around.

    Now if you are talking about MMO devs we might agree, but the feeling of WoW sinking, has to do more with the fact that it's an aging boat, even with 7 or 5 or 3 million subs above the rest, it is slowly "sinking" since it's peak is already behind. Perhaps better than sinking would be slowly dying even fanboys have to admit that we are far from the golden age...

    Do I blame GC for it? partly as lead system designer he had a position of power that allowed him to "vote" on how things are headed. Do I put the blame only on him? Not at all.
  1. Marina's Avatar
    Ding! Dong! The Witch is... well, he left.
  1. Senathor's Avatar
    This must be an early christmas present!
  1. Kourvith's Avatar
    People would be ready to blame all what's bad in WoW on a cleaning operative at this point ...
    Really feels like we're in some sort of village witch hunting.
  1. Danifilth's Avatar
    Wouldn't be surprised if kids starting posting on forums like Ghost Crawler just left what are your thoughts? GC is gone wow is dead your thoughts? i microwaved a cheese sandwich your thoughts?
  1. Osmeric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danifilth View Post
    i microwaved a cheese sandwich your thoughts?
    Truly I tell you: we have a friend in cheeses.
  1. wholockian's Avatar
    Can people stop being scrubs
  1. Furell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animaneth View Post
    Dice, Ubisoft Montreal, Bethestha, Epic Games, even the studios behind CoD want to speak with you about that "never left the drydock" analogy. Specially Epic Games, whose Unreal Engine is perhaps one of the widest used game engines around.

    Now if you are talking about MMO devs we might agree, but the feeling of WoW sinking, has to do more with the fact that it's an aging boat, even with 7 or 5 or 3 million subs above the rest, it is slowly "sinking" since it's peak is already behind. Perhaps better than sinking would be slowly dying even fanboys have to admit that we are far from the golden age...

    Do I blame GC for it? partly as lead system designer he had a position of power that allowed him to "vote" on how things are headed. Do I put the blame only on him? Not at all.
    Blizzard has made the decision, probably in WoW beta already, to let the game run on this engine so it can appeal to almost everybody. It worked out pretty well you know, 12 million at it's peak and now it's slowly declining. Nothing weird happening here.
  1. Firebane's Avatar
    Huraay I guess ? Who is his replacement ?
  1. Mykk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    It's not what you say but how you say it. I would agree with the other poster it sounded like mad 12yo.
    Its not my problem if you get feeling im 12year old if im happy seeing GC gone. You cant argument me being 12 year old what i typed and why would i be mad about he leaving? im happy about it.

    Also you can agree what ever you want to

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Such sad nonsense. The "epics are easy to get" thing was not in his sphere of personal responsibility.

    - - - Updated - - -



    It's going to be hilarious if he left because the other devs have decided to really throw the hardcores under the bus, and he didn't want to go along with it. Not that I have any evidence of that, but it would be funny.

    Also, if you get pissed at corporations following the money, there's not going to be a lot of joy in your life.
    We cant really say following the money? After GC starting handling things they've lost 50% of their subs (not really because of GC but still GC was one part of that which started loosing subs)
  1. Osmeric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykk View Post
    We cant really say following the money? After GC starting handling things they've lost 50% of their subs (not really because of GC but still GC was one part of that which started loosing subs)
    Your error is presuming that focusing on the hardcores wouldn't have done worse. This is rather absurd, given how few hardcores there are.

    If anything, things went to hell the moment they reversed course on Wrath and tried to make the end game harder. This was a disastrous blunder, and one they tried to repeat with MoP's initial end game design (LFR notwithstanding.)
  1. unholyness's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Your error is presuming that focusing on the hardcores wouldn't have done worse. This is rather absurd, given how few hardcores there are.

    If anything, things went to hell the moment they reversed course on Wrath and tried to make the end game harder. This was a disastrous blunder, and one they tried to repeat with MoP's initial end game design (LFR notwithstanding.)
    Almost all of the dev's are hardcore raiders and GC talked to a lot of us at Blizzcon at the bar at the Hilton. When the WOD came out and that hit,expertise and all that was being taken out of the game, we asked him why. His answer was that there are too many bads and wrath babies to keep things the way they were before. I got the feeling that he was going to leave and a couple other dev's, who raid hardcore, also chimed in that if they make content decent then they have to nerf most of it.

    People still don't see what they are doing lol? They are going to make people feel like really good raiders when they are in fact horrible. They take flex in WOD and call it normal mode, they take normal and call it Heroic, then they take heroic and call it Mythic. People will think they are good because they cleared heroics which are just normal modes. Mufasa asked him if he was happy with how things are and he said, there is a lot of change coming, a lot. I am guessing other's who won't want to be part of a handicapped version of a great game will be looking for work elsewhere or Titan is still being worked on leaving Wow for the bad's and Titan for players with more than one firing synapse.
  1. blehmeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aerosyne View Post
    If you really had all this experience, that point would be very obvious.

    This isn't a shitty grade school argument essay.

    All I heard was 'I know a lot of people and my parents work for XYZ and make lots of money' spoken in the tone of a well-off teenager.

    Again, all I hear is some whiny fifteen year old saying ... You either need to put up, as in divulge this information, or shut up.

    ...you're essentially full of shit.

    So no, I'm not 'an idiot' for not agreeing with you, I'm an idiot for wasting my time to explain why you're an idiot.
    Do you think this language makes you more right or something? Btw, the "information" you presented is way more subjective then anything I posted. I would post the definition of irony but I'm sure you would just say definitions are subjective as well based from your reaction.

    The loose talk about my connections to the industry weren't the basis of my argument, but was just to give an idea of my background (and no my parents themselves don't work in the industry), and of course is the main point of your attack. So congratulations, I guess? And posts like these are EXACTLY why I don't post specifics, because of crazy's like you.
  1. Osmeric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unholyness View Post
    People still don't see what they are doing lol? They are going to make people feel like really good raiders when they are in fact horrible.
    That's exactly right, and they've squandered hundreds of millions of dollars because they dragged their heels on it. They should have gone in that direction much sooner. Cataclysm (and to a lesser extent, MoP) were just their destructive efforts at trying to delay the inevitable.

    I wonder if Vivendi's divestiture of most of their ATVI holdings is finally giving Kotick more freedom to push Blizzard in the direction of $$$ over some vision of "artistic quality".

    Your comments reinforce the suspicion I have that those cheering GC's departure are in for a rude awakening.
  1. unholyness's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by valliant13 View Post
    It peaked because of the Lich King, not because of him. Wotlk basically played out WC3 in an mmo. The game had it's biggest push of subscribers through basically ICC. It's been in steady decline because of some of his decisions as well as the age of the game. WoD seems like mostly a push in the right direction, and it makes me happy that he won't be there to ruin it with his indecisiveness. I don't care who takes over for him so long as they have a clear direction they want to take this game. Because GC never had a clear direction.
    WOD is a right direction? I am guessing that when WOD is released, in the box will be a bib for people to wear as they drool. No hit,expertise,dodge or parry, more dumbing down of a already easy game. Changing how theory crafting will work because some slow people have trouble using numbers. All of the dev's and GC raid hardcore, they have the same thought process, and yes i got to talk to them at blizzcon. They can be much more honest there and not have to worry about what they say on a forum or blog. The word, bad's, wrath babies was commonly used.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    That's exactly right, and they've squandered hundreds of millions of dollars because they dragged their heels on it. They should have gone in that direction much sooner. Cataclysm (and to a lesser extent, MoP) were just their destructive efforts at trying to delay the inevitable.

    I wonder if Vivendi's divestiture of most of their ATVI holdings is finally giving Kotick more freedom to push Blizzard in the direction of $$$ over some vision of "artistic quality".
    The only people that will be raiding are the 'bads' now who have trouble clearing lol normals. You dont think it is sad and pathetic that a person needs a different name put on their raid to make them feel not as ignorant? So as you raid normals, you are actually doing Flex, which is pugged. You clear heroics, which is actually normals, which is pugged. Now if people still struggle they should really go to their doctor to check for any mental illnesses.
  1. Osmeric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unholyness View Post
    The only people that will be raiding are the 'bads' now who have trouble clearing lol normals. You dont think it is sad and pathetic that a person needs a different name put on their raid to make them feel not as ignorant?
    What's more pathetic is squandering hundreds of millions of dollars trying to avoid recognizing obvious realities of the gaming market.

    Of course the game panders to the egos of the players. That's the central mechanic of the game, making people with marginal accomplishments in RL feel like world-saving heroes. Anything that tells them "you suck!" breaks that illusion.

    I suppose if it helps you get through the coming changes, you can feel superior to those the game will be catering to. Or maybe you could get on with your life without that kind of ego crutch.
  1. Fiana's Avatar
    Finally!
    This bastard made the game the casual rubbish that it is atm.

    Now we have a slight hope that the game will become at least somewhat better.
  1. Shudder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    This thread is disgraceful. This is evidence of what is wrong with the world of warcraft community. And the community is the problem with world of warcraft. I feel sorry for who ever gets his job because they have to put up with the fucking idiots that most you people are.
    You know what would help? If you cried some more. Your tears amuse me.
  1. Celista's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lockdown1 View Post
    I was actually just trolling you, I haven't played wow for months and could not care less who joins or leaves wow.

    I had fun.
    I like you.

Site Navigation