MMO-Champion - So Long, and Thanks for All the Spectral Fish
So Long, and Thanks for All the Spectral Fish
Ghostcrawler confirmed the news on the official forums.
Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
You know that part at the end of raid night when the final boss is dead and you’re done handing out loot and everyone kind of goes their separate ways? Yeah, this is one of those times.

We just came off of a great BlizzCon. We had so many different games to talk about, and we were thrilled at the reception of Warlords of Draenor. It was great to meet or reconnect with so many of you. I love BlizzCon dearly, which makes it so hard to tell you that this will be my last one, or at least my last one up on stage. An opportunity has come my way, and I have made the very tough decision to move on from Blizzard.

I wanted to thank all of you for being a part of this grand quest. I have said a hundred times that having passionate gamers, including the angry ones, is a far better place to be than having a community that doesn’t care. You all care. Like us, you want the game to be the best that it can be. So I ask you to keep on providing your feedback. I promise (and I rarely promise!) that the developers care very much about what you have to say.

I’ll be out there, and I can’t imagine it will be that hard to find me.

Hugs,
Ghostcrawler

P.S. No, you can’t have a pony. Or a moose. Or a mantis shrimp. Or a tardigrade. Or a crab. Keep trying though.

P.P.S. I play a Holy Priest.
This article was originally published in forum thread: So Long, and Thanks for All the Spectral Fish started by Boubouille View original post
Comments 404 Comments
  1. justandulas's Avatar
    Love him or hate him, he was one of the key people that shaped this game into what it was, is, and will be.

    ps - a holy priest?! Who'd have guessed that..... my money was always on frost mage....
  1. Animaneth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliandal View Post
    While no ex Blizzard developer has ever come out and stated that there is no non-compete agreement - from the amount of ex Blizzard devs littering the gaming company landscape, one would have to assume there is not. Pretty much every company out there has at least one former employee.

    Edited to add that it's hilarious reading all the "Oh good - now there's hope for WOD" posts. Are people REALLY that clueless? According to Blizzards own timelines - it's been worked on for at least 2 years - meaning - yep - his hands were on it. Looks like you'll have a 2 year wait before coming back
    Yes and NO, one thing are devs in particular wich switch companies more often than heads of department (like GC). At the dev level you are probably right. But higher ups? that's another story I think. As I said, since I'm not a Blizzard current or former employee I can't say how this rolls out, just talking from my own experience as game developer in other companies.
  1. arthar77's Avatar
    HAPPY BLOODY THANKSGIVING TO YOU ALL LORE-PVP-PVE-HATER-WISEAZZ-ANY-nerd ... have a blast of a thanksgiving today and enjoy some turkey ... or any animal you guys have this day ... and other HOLIDAY ... have a nice day
  1. Deramyr's Avatar
    He'll always have my respect. I hope he does well.
  1. Octa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    I'll post it here like I did in the other thread.

    You do not hire a physician to fix your car or a landscaper to frame your house.

    In turn, you do not hire a marine biologist to lead design your video game.

    No matter how passionate he was about games, he just didn't have the skill set needed.


    Glad he's out.
    Guess you also for the decade he was a LEAD GAME DESIGJNER before he was hired on at Blizzard? 10 years as a lead game designer before he ever touched World of Warcraft.
  1. Bluegirl91's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Octa View Post
    Guess you also for the decade he was a LEAD GAME DESIGJNER before he was hired on at Blizzard? 10 years as a lead game designer before he ever touched World of Warcraft.
    For RTS games though...
  1. LegendsnDreamz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post
    For RTS games though...
    News flash, Warcraft was an RTS before WoW, why so many forget this is beyond me. Meaning my slow friend, that WoW's creators were RTS people. NEXT!
  1. Spastic_Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendsnDreamz View Post
    News flash, Warcraft was an RTS before WoW, why so many forget this is beyond me. Meaning my slow friend, that WoW's creators were RTS people. NEXT!
    Uh huh? Most of the creators were individuals who knew how to run the game. Regardless, it doesn't matter who was originally on the team. They didn't know WoW would be a huge thing. At the point when Ghostcrawler was hired, they KNEW what they had. So it doesn't make sense for them to hire someone that wasn't more seasoned in the field.
  1. LegendsnDreamz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spastic_Dreamer View Post
    Uh huh? Most of the creators were individuals who knew how to run the game. Regardless, it doesn't matter who was originally on the team. They didn't know WoW would be a huge thing. At the point when Ghostcrawler was hired, they KNEW what they had. So it doesn't make sense for them to hire someone that wasn't more seasoned in the field.
    Well Mr. armchair game designer, you surely know it all, why aren't you applying for GC's vacant job? According to you, you are exactly what they are looking for.
  1. morrouac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spastic_Dreamer View Post
    Uh huh? Most of the creators were individuals who knew how to run the game. Regardless, it doesn't matter who was originally on the team. They didn't know WoW would be a huge thing. At the point when Ghostcrawler was hired, they KNEW what they had. So it doesn't make sense for them to hire someone that wasn't more seasoned in the field.
    Considering its still the most popular MMO it seems they made an ok choice to me. A "more seasoned" MMO designer means they are basically coming from a game that died or is dying, wheres the sense in that?
  1. Spastic_Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendsnDreamz View Post
    Well Mr. armchair game designer, you surely know it all, why aren't you applying for GC's vacant job? According to you, you are exactly what they are looking for.
    I would love to have his job. Because as someone who has been playing MMORPGs for the better part of the last fifteen years, I think I know enough to help make the game fun and innovative again. Unfortunately, since I'm not a marine biologist, I doubt they'd hire me or take my application seriously. =/
  1. LegendsnDreamz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spastic_Dreamer View Post
    I would love to have his job. Because as someone who has been playing MMORPGs for the better part of the last fifteen years, I think I know enough to help make the game fun and innovative again. Unfortunately, since I'm not a marine biologist, I doubt they'd hire me or take my application seriously. =/
    playing huh...so you have no actual experience in game design. What color is the sky in your world?
  1. Skandulous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendsnDreamz View Post
    playing huh...so you have no actual experience in game design. What color is the sky in your world?
    dont need it ask Tigole and Furor both Lead designers on Vanilla WoW and they were just guild leaders on EQ with zero game making experience
  1. Spastic_Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendsnDreamz View Post
    playing huh...so you have no actual experience in game design. What color is the sky in your world?
    Well I have a degree in Liberal Arts. I'm sure I can get a job at a normal game company and earn some of that experience you speak of. After all, Ghostcrawler did. =)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    dont need it ask Tigole and Furor both Lead designers on Vanilla WoW and they were just guild leaders on EQ with zero game making experience
    Thank you for making my point. =)

    Actual game playing experience > Marine Biology experience.

    Though I will admit, at least the aquatic places were designed better since he came along. =)
  1. Nelrum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post
    About pure's being unimportant. If you look at the amount of rogues, locks, mages and hunters in the raid, they are pretty much the majority.

    If anything the hybrids probably suffered the most from it, as they are only picked when their utility is needed.
    Usually you want 1 mage for crit and 1 hunter for shaste. And that's it. Rest 23 spots you always want to fill with hybrids because they generally have better utility, you can rotate your tanks and healers. You can get more or less healers depending on encounter mechanics.
    Rogues are practically useless in PvE compared to other melee classes. We stopped inviting rogues into the raid group since WoTLK and only benefited from it. Also it's more beneficial to gear up a hybrid because if it already has a pretty high iLvL in one of his specs it will be easier for him to get gear for a secondary spec if it will be needed.

    Not to mention that even outside of raids pure DPS are much less flexible classes because you can't suddenly decide to play some different role. Or how hybrids abuse LFG getting into raid as tank while in DPS spec and they trying to tank driving healer insane. Plus hybrid healers can do damage and heal themselves at the same time, especially monks.

    Hybrids are in favor since WoTLK because they're the ones who has the most benefits in WoW.

    I generally don't like SWTOR but in regard class design they're actually managed to do the right thing. All classes are hybrids. You're not restricted to one role.
  1. malletin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spastic_Dreamer View Post
    I would love to have his job. Because as someone who has been playing MMORPGs for the better part of the last fifteen years, I think I know enough to help make the game fun and innovative again. Unfortunately, since I'm not a marine biologist, I doubt they'd hire me or take my application seriously. =/
    In reality you'd get as much flak as Ghostcrawler got and people will cry for Ghostcrawler to come back.
  1. Korchinks's Avatar
    It's a tough job and he did it to the best of his abilities, regardless of the opinions of it that was enough, or not, it's all you can ask of any one person.

    Good luck in your new adventures GC, you will be remembered in many different ways I am sure....don't look back, press on!!
  1. alkyd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malletin View Post
    In reality you'd get as much flak as Ghostcrawler got and people will cry for Ghostcrawler to come back.
    This. That guy thinks that if he takes on the job of Ghostcrawler everybody is gonna suddenly start appreciating him. No, he will just be blamed as much as Ghostcrawler was. There will be always someone who will blame you no matter how hard you work.
  1. Jagoex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spastic_Dreamer View Post
    I would love to have his job. Because as someone who has been playing MMORPGs for the better part of the last fifteen years, I think I know enough to help make the game fun and innovative again.
    Actually, a more appropriate and accurate statement would be that you know what would make the game fun and innovative for you. That might not be the case for others. In making the statement in the way that you did, it alone reflects that you would not be a good fit for the position.

    Regarding Ghostcrawler's background: an individual with an understanding of systems, hierarchy, management, classification, organization, behavior etc, is a much better fit for GC's former job than someone who says "I know how to have fun."

    Also, I eat a lot of cookies. That doesn't make me the best baker ever. That reasoning is incredibly flawed.
  1. Spastic_Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagoex View Post
    Actually, a more appropriate and accurate statement would be that you know what would make the game fun and innovative for you. That might not be the case for others. In making the statement in the way that you did, it alone reflects that you would not be a good fit for the position.

    Regarding Ghostcrawler's background: an individual with an understanding of systems, hierarchy, management, classification, organization, behavior etc, is a much better fit for GC's former job than someone who says "I know how to have fun."

    Also, I eat a lot of cookies. That doesn't make me the best baker ever. That reasoning is incredibly flawed.
    You do understand the principal behind cooking? The first rule of being a good cook is to always taste your food. Literally one of the first rules they teach you as a chef, which is something that Chef Ramsay constantly says. While taste is a subjective thing, generally if something tastes decent to you, it won't taste awful to most people. Now with that logic, if you eat a lot of cookies...I'm sure you can tell a good cookie from a bad one. Now just because you don't like, say, oatmeal raisin doesn't mean that all oatmeal raisin cookies are disgusting. And that's important to understand. Which I totally do.

    Nothing I said implied that I thought I was "the best chef in the world" or rather, the best player in the world.

    I'm saying that as someone with experience actually playing video games, I think I know enough to start the ball rolling and add new fun elements to the game. Experience is everything.

Site Navigation