MMO-Champion - Realm First Achievements, Battle.Net App Chat, Blue Tweets, Golden Heroes, TCG Art
Upcoming Hotfixes, Reaper of Souls First Look: Exploring the Blood Marsh, Blue Posts

Golden Heroes Coming Soon!

StarCraft Heroes Preview

Warlords of Draenor - No Realm First Achievements
As mentioned in the Patch 5.4 Dev Interviews, realm first leveling and profession achievements won't be added for Warlords of Draenor.



Battleground Honor Increases Coming Tuesday
We now have a date for the battleground honor increases.



Battle.Net Desktop App Chat
We recently got some updates on chat in the Battle.Net Desktop App and the Appear Offline mode from a while back.

A recent update to the client removed one of the older chat display styles, added and tweaked avatars, modified some chat related things, and removed the Beta label.


Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
If you're an astute observer, you'll note from various postings on the internet that there is indeed chat functionality inside the client, but it is disabled.

The reason why it isn't enabled is simple. The servers aren't ready to handle it yet.

Having said that, chat will be ready soon(tm)

Better answer would be "chat is not ready yet" than "servers can't handle it"
You're right, poor choice of words. Chat was definitely not ready, but it is closer now.

The problem with the chat system was related to when you're logged into multiple games at the same time. For purposes of this discussion, Battle.net app is considered another game.

See who is online (You'll need friends for this). In a future update (coming soon) you'll be able to chat with them too. (Source)

Blue Tweets
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Classes
"We want to reduce the amount of buttons required to play and make the game easier for players who come back." WHY DUMB IT DOWN?
Reducing the number of buttons required is not the same as dumbing it down. (Celestalon)

More behind the scenes of class design:There are hard many parts of designing a spell, but most people wouldn't guess one of the hardest. Naming it. Giving a spell a good name is paramount. It has to be representative, awesome sounding, appropriate, etc. (Celestalon)
One of the most difficult things is resisting the urge to use "Divine" or "Holy" on a Paladin/Priest spell, *again*. (Celestalon)

Keeping 100% uptime on DOTs and performing a filler rotation is not engaging. Intelligently using procs is
Intelligently using procs isn't going away. (Celestalon)
Don't mistake snapshotting's removal for procs not benefitting you. Procs' effects are just restricted to their duration now. (Celestalon)
if that is the case are we looking at dynamic updating of DOTs in Warlord's?
Yes, that's what removing snapshotting is. (Celestalon)
Since it Dynamically updates there's no other point. Basically DoT classes are boring now?
No, pretty sure you're misunderstanding something fundamental. DoTs are updated on every tick, not when they wear off. (Celestalon)

Art
will you update the character login backgrounds along with the new models? The UD one is very outdated. Thanks!
I agree those need some love, maybe not at same time as characters but its something we've wanted to do for a while now. (artofcgrobinson)

Hello good sir, with the new character model updates in WoD i was hoping to see an option for long beards for my casters!
cool idea, not adding extra options with this pass, hope to do so in the future. (artofcgrobinson)

Proving Grounds
Any plans for handling scaling of CMs/PGs different in WoD? Scaling down 120 ilvls makes classes play very differently.
We're investigating the potential of scaling PGs up to your ilvl. Not a guarantee, just an investigation. Has Pros/Cons. (Celestalon)

PvP
Will most classes only have one viable spec for pvp (like warriors) in WoD? would be easier to balance?
It is a decent goal for classes that only have one role, but not for classes that have multiple. (holinka)

Can you implement the SotA bomb extra action button in IoC as well?
Yes eventually. (holinka)

you know why resi should be in gear? Smooth resi scaling. Suddenly added big resi feels bad. Takes time for gear to fix.
Certainly true. But the whole player base doesn't gear at the same rate, specifically ungeared players entering the game. (holinka)

Was leaving resilience on heirlooms an oversight? Maybe it could be replaced with something more useful?
Resilience is on all lower level gear (holinka)

why didnt you reset mmr?
We don't reset MMR because it is system designed to match up players of equal skill. We do reset inflation however. (holinka)

Hearthstone - Golden Heros
Starting with the next patch, 500 ranked wins will earn a golden hero for you, complete with animations. You can find out more on Hearthpwn.



TCG Art Update
Blizzard has updated the TCG art gallery to feature ten new pieces.


This article was originally published in forum thread: Realm First Achievements, Battle.Net App Chat, Blue Tweets, Golden Heroes, TCG Art started by chaud View original post
Comments 127 Comments
  1. SteveZombie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Yeah sure. Because we all know Realm First achievement is totally equal in implemention costs as whole quest line, am I right. God... you are definition of indoctrinated lamb.
    I love how you blunder through my comment not actually realising I'm simply applying Sevyvia's logic to a similar topic.
  1. Dzudzadzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
    You're right, they're not content. They're dangling carrots that encourage people to exploit like crazy. I think about half the people who got realm first profession achievements on my server for Cata used some sort of exploit to max their professions in 15 minutes.

    So yeah, I guess people enjoyed doing them if they enjoyed exploiting. Which is against TOS. So off it goes, and good riddance.
    You know what? Lets invalidate World First race because it encourages Top Guilds to play around semantics of exploiting and clever use of game mechanics.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveZombie View Post
    I love how you blunder through my comment not actually realising I'm simply applying Sevyvia's logic to a similar topic.
    Got anything else condescending to say?
  1. Ausr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manswtor View Post
    I find it amusing how some think server first was an accomplishment rofl, as far as I'm aware it was a opportunity for people to exploit the game, nor more, nor less.
    When I achieved realm first 80 DK when Wrath was released, the only exploit I did was my ability to power through needing sleep. Other than that, I just powered through quests. And then, I wasn't even trying for realm first. Guild first, yes. Then when I realized I was leading the realm, I ballsed up. Although I remember a couple of Horde on my server for MoP that I believe exploited their way to realm first 90.



    Anyone else kinda hate these people who think because there is some extreme button fluff that taking away some is somehow dumbing down the game? What the fuck are these people getting that from?
  1. TwoNineMarine's Avatar
    I see no reason to get rid of the achievements.

    I've never attempted, or wanted to attempt, getting a realm first leveling achievement. But that doesn't mean I don't understand the enjoyment that people get out of em. Once every two years you get to compete against possibly hundreds of people on your realm for an achievement.

    In the end does the achievement mean anything? No. But then again nothing we do in this game actually means anything.

    It's a fun thing to have in the game that doesn't negatively affect anyone else. Billy Bob on my server rushing to get Realm First Level 100 Druid doesn't take away from my leveling experience. Same goes with crafting. I couldn't care less if he beats me to max JC. It doesn't hurt my feelings.

    If people want to be competitive then let them. It doesn't hurt you.
  1. SteveZombie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Got anything else condescending to say?
    Well, did you or did you not?
    And what's so wrong about wanting to understand all of the fucked-up logic the whiners are spurting out round here?
  1. TooMuch's Avatar
    Can't it be a technical problem? Because of merged realms etc.
  1. DarthMonk79's Avatar
    oh god what shall I do now? No more realm firsts!! Oh I know, I'll do what I've always done. Take my time, enjoy the game, learn all the quests, explore every part of a zone I can before leaving it(especially with dynamic events now). So many people it seems try to just power straight thru to the end and do heroic dungeons and raiding. A lot say that the quests in MoP sucked. IF you actually took the time to read them all, follow all the cut scenes you learned and saw a lot. How many actually completed the entire Klaxxi line w/o using the dungeon rep or farm to gather the rep, shieldwall? There was actually quite a lot in MoP.
  1. druvirus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willemh View Post
    As I wrote above, removing the realm first achievement actually will let me see less of the zones instead of more.

    Going for realm first: 1) Play trough all questzones slowly to figure out all quests, experience the whole story of every zone. 2) Try a few different leveling routes and figure out how much you need to do to reach max lvl. 3) Figure out what routes are most efficient/what quests are worth skipping. 4) Play your optimal route ~2-3 times.

    Not going for realm first: 1) Play trough some questzones at random, skip random quests/zones and miss half of the story.

    So this really is a bad argument.
    It isn't a bad argument. You're just an exception, .. not the rule. The way you level, it seems, is all about the numbers .. not the content. You find which quests give the most XP, which routes allow for quicker succession of said quests, and which allow more choice of questing experience. In that sense, all you're doing is looking at your XP bar and counting how fast it rises with how fast you can run.

    But not going for realm first? You are allowed to play as you see fit. You don't have to randomly go through quest zones. You don't have to skip random quests. You don't have to miss the story. That is entirely up to you. Without a realm first achievement you are still completely in control of both your body and mind. If you want to go through beta to try to find the most successful route? Guess what. You can still do that! And you can even read the quest dialogue instead of skipping to the, "Kill 10 Spore Bats" and then counting how much XP doing so gave you.

    Me? I tried the entire speed leveling thing. Don't enjoy it. I miss out on so much just being able to go through at my own pace. I knock out lower quest zones, move on up to higher, and I go through each line. I don't have to worry about going JUST from the starter zone and worrying about which branch I'll go to next. I can do BOTH before heading to the next tier up. Because I'm not racing.

    The entire way you choose to play is still your choice. Achievement or not, you can play however you like.
  1. Lamelight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MelwensLady View Post
    May I ask what is really silly ? There are people who cheat to get that "silly" achievement . . .
    I remember the case from Ravencrest-EU, a druid got the achievement that way;
    Blizz removed his/her achievement at the beginin of MoP but a few months later he got the achievement as FOS AGAIN.
    So is this really FAIR apart from being "silly" ??

    At this point, yeah, I can see HOW "Speed/marathon leveling is the closest thing to the propper hardcore progression raiding experience"

    I'm just glad that Blizzard did something right finally.
    FS was World first, not only RC-EU first. and he got it back cause he WAS NOT exploiting... dont get your argument here?

    I only really care for the leveling FOS, but back in cata I did JC realm first on Ravencrest-EU since it was the only proff you could get it and had to spend 4 days on (only like 10 min aday though)

    And also the guild got 3 or 4 serverfirst professions back then, none of them were done with any exploits. I know there was a LW exploit where you could get cata leather from lowlevel mobs before cata launch (I reported this bug, but dunno if it got fixed) so we didnt go for that. Rest was just gotten through good coordination between guildies. (we got realm first "working as a team").

    As for levling exploits, your highly overestimating how many use this. Most people that exploit get rolled back (sometimes falsely, that sucks I guess). Your argument is along the lines of: "Lets ban all sports cause a few people use illegal enhancement drugs"..

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by druvirus View Post
    It isn't a bad argument. You're just an exception, .. not the rule. The way you level, it seems, is all about the numbers .. not the content. You find which quests give the most XP, which routes allow for quicker succession of said quests, and which allow more choice of questing experience. In that sense, all you're doing is looking at your XP bar and counting how fast it rises with how fast you can run.

    But not going for realm first? You are allowed to play as you see fit. You don't have to randomly go through quest zones. You don't have to skip random quests. You don't have to miss the story. That is entirely up to you. Without a realm first achievement you are still completely in control of both your body and mind. If you want to go through beta to try to find the most successful route? Guess what. You can still do that! And you can even read the quest dialogue instead of skipping to the, "Kill 10 Spore Bats" and then counting how much XP doing so gave you.

    Me? I tried the entire speed leveling thing. Don't enjoy it. I miss out on so much just being able to go through at my own pace. I knock out lower quest zones, move on up to higher, and I go through each line. I don't have to worry about going JUST from the starter zone and worrying about which branch I'll go to next. I can do BOTH before heading to the next tier up. Because I'm not racing.

    The entire way you choose to play is still your choice. Achievement or not, you can play however you like.
    Your missing his point, with the Achievement it gives him insentive to actually do all quests and experience the story etc. Without the achievement he wount bother doing it. he will just power through it at random to get to 90 with as little effort as possible, doing as little story as possible. As you said, he can play however he wount, but with the achievement there he will do more of the story (wich is the reason blizz gave for removing it)
  1. Crazia's Avatar
    No waaay :S the race for realm first was the best thing about a new xpac release this made me so sad to read
  1. ThaNinja's Avatar
    (Incoming Hipster comment) Glad I have my realm first achievement before it was removed, and also don't need to take a week off work to go for the next one ^_^
  1. SteveZombie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamelight View Post
    As you said, he can play however he wount, but with the achievement there he will do more of the story (wich is the reason blizz gave for removing it)
    If he cares about the story and quests, he will pay attention to the story and quests. If he is in fact not talking total bull, then the world first rush is chaining him to his desk and forcing him to play through a storyline he simply does not care about, multiple times.
  1. Roadblock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thotor View Post
    Realm First push people to skip leveling content. They don't want that anymore.
    Indeed, considering they sell level skip and profession skips on the shop now.
  1. DarthMonk79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamelight View Post
    FS was World first, not only RC-EU first. and he got it back cause he WAS NOT exploiting... dont get your argument here?

    I only really care for the leveling FOS, but back in cata I did JC realm first on Ravencrest-EU since it was the only proff you could get it and had to spend 4 days on (only like 10 min aday though)

    And also the guild got 3 or 4 serverfirst professions back then, none of them were done with any exploits. I know there was a LW exploit where you could get cata leather from lowlevel mobs before cata launch (I reported this bug, but dunno if it got fixed) so we didnt go for that. Rest was just gotten through good coordination between guildies. (we got realm first "working as a team").

    As for levling exploits, your highly overestimating how many use this. Most people that exploit get rolled back (sometimes falsely, that sucks I guess). Your argument is along the lines of: "Lets ban all sports cause a few people use illegal enhancement drugs"..

    - - - Updated - - -



    Your missing his point, with the Achievement it gives him insentive to actually do all quests and experience the story etc. Without the achievement he wount bother doing it. he will just power through it at random to get to 90 with as little effort as possible, doing as little story as possible. As you said, he can play however he wount, but with the achievement there he will do more of the story (wich is the reason blizz gave for removing it)
    okay see that confuses me. IF you are going for realm first its all about speed, not enjoying the game and everything around it. So going for speed wouldn't be grabbing every quest, reading thru every one of them, watching the interaction. It would be grab quest, follow tracker, queue like crazy for dungeons and zerg it all. Whereas if you don't worry about how fast you go to get an achievement you just take your time, explore every spot out there and interact more.
  1. Frozen Death Knight's Avatar
    Removing Realm First Achievements seem a bit unnecessary. Obviously there are people who enjoy that stuff, so why remove it? I suppose realm mergers may play a part into this, but it doesn't really hurt the game that some want to compete in such a way.

    Still, it should probably be possible to still get people to compete on their own accord without the achievement (people did so before achievements, after all), but it still kind of sucks, I think.
  1. willemh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveZombie View Post
    Holy shit you are making my head spin bro. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though and assume you're not trolling.
    So please explain to us why you feel that doing all of the quests on beta for the sole purpose of blasting to 100 on live as quickly as possible is more preferable to you than doing all of the quests for the enjoyment and experience of actually doing the quests and seeing all of the story.
    Did you even read my post?

    You DONT see the full story when you level to 100. There are way more quests/zones/dungeons available as you need to get to level 100. You do 70% of the quests in one zone, do a random dungeon, do 50% of the quests in the other, skip a zone, do another one for 90%. Nobody who levels to 100 sees the whole story unless you continue questing for a very long time after you hit level 100.

    Is it preferable to have people see content ONCE, while also skipping half of this content because they outllvled it over someone seeing the FULL content, multiple times because he enjoys figuring out a way to get realm first.

    I really cant believe you guys cant see the fun into playing beta to see all the content and prepare for release, then taking some time off to have a LAN party with multiple friends, going to the shop together to buy tasty food and snacks, sleeping a few hours before the release, and then level to 100 as fast as you can with your friends to enjoy all the max level content together before going back to work again. The WoTLK, Cataclysm and MoP release all were memorable experiences and for sure more memorable then most friday/saturday-evenings going to the cinema/drinking a few beers with friends.

    Quote Originally Posted by MelwensLady View Post
    get a life ?
    The fact you cant understand how the above is extremely fun is your loss I guess. I really wonder why you're wasting your life posting messages like that in this forum tbh, rather sad.
  1. Warlord Booty's Avatar
    Keeping 100% uptime on DOTs and performing a filler rotation is not engaging. Intelligently using procs is
    lol neither one are, and i definitely would not saying "intelilgently using procs" is more engaging. Not even close.
  1. TwoNineMarine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willemh View Post
    Did you even read my post?

    You DONT see the full story when you level to 100. There are way more quests/zones/dungeons available as you need to get to level 100. You do 70% of the quests in one zone, do a random dungeon, do 50% of the quests in the other, skip a zone, do another one for 90%. Nobody who levels to 100 sees the whole story unless you continue questing for a very long time after you hit level 100.

    Is it preferable to have people see content ONCE, while also skipping half of this content because they outllvled it over someone seeing the FULL content, multiple times because he enjoys figuring out a way to get realm first.

    I really cant believe you guys cant see the fun into playing beta to see all the content and prepare for release, then taking some time off to have a LAN party with multiple friends, going to the shop together to buy tasty food and snacks, sleeping a few hours before the release, and then level to 100 as fast as you can with your friends to enjoy all the max level content together before going back to work again. The WoTLK, Cataclysm and MoP release all were memorable experiences and for sure more memorable then most friday/saturday-evenings going to the cinema/drinking a few beers with friends.



    The fact you cant understand how the above is extremely fun is your loss I guess. I really wonder why you're wasting your life posting messages like that in this forum tbh, rather sad.
    I definitely see the fun in that. I wouldn't want to race to 100 but hanging out with friends is awesome. I personally wouldn't want to thoroughly check out the beta though simply because I want to keep it as a "surprise" for when the game actually hits. But that's me.
  1. Dzudzadzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveZombie View Post
    Well, did you or did you not?
    And what's so wrong about wanting to understand all of the fucked-up logic the whiners are spurting out round here?
    Their logic isnt fucked up. It is blizzard's logic that is fucked up.

    Remove something simply because not everyone gets to experience it, Why still keep HC mode then?
    Remove something simply because people cheat to get it. Why not punish the cheaters instead?
    Remove it because its just easier? Why? Is blizz too good to try harder for us?

    Realm First achievements are one of last few things remaining in the game that underline other people's individuality over the rest. That's something that should be valued in a MMO. If all of us are here only to experience content and diss each other off on how our experiences dont affect one another then why WoW didnt changed to a single player game at this point?
  1. ShadowForge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Their logic isnt fucked up. It is blizzard's logic that is fucked up.

    Remove something simply because not everyone gets to experience it, Why still keep HC mode then? cos its challenging and its progression from normal raiding where as racing to level 100 really isnt progressing the way ppl like it
    Remove something simply because people cheat to get it. Why not punish the cheaters instead? you know blizz have always cared more about money just look at PVP filled with bots and look at the rbg ladders atm 1 warlock 5 rogues top for eu all same W/L ratio
    Remove it because its just easier? Why? Is blizz too good to try harder for us?

    Realm First achievements are one of last few things remaining in the game that underline other people's individuality over the rest. That's something that should be valued in a MMO. If all of us are here only to experience content and diss each other off on how our experiences dont affect one another then why WoW didnt changed to a single player game at this point? really i thought insane in the membrane is one of those to cos i dnt see many people with that title on my server, theres prolly more people with realm firsts cos its ineveitable that someone would have them where as the insane title is not listed under rep and is also a feat of strength there are FOS better than realm firsts insane is one and getting max rank in classic pvp is another
    quoted this for my own reasons

Site Navigation