MMO-Champion - WoD Dev Interviews, Flying in Draenor, Hearthsteed Colors, Mar 11 Hotfixes, Garrison
Patch 2.0.3 Hotfixes

Hearthstone Live Dev Q&A This Friday, Deck Spotlight: Salvation Warrior

Unlocking the Hero Within: Systems Preview

Warlords of Draenor Developer Interviews
There were a few developer interviews at the recent press events, so today we are taking a look at interviews with Alex Afrasiabi from Gameplanet.

Misc
  • You won't be allowed to fly in Draenor at release, and the devs want to see how players react to this.
  • Afrasiabi also mentions that he thinks it is possible that players could love a world with no flying.
  • Garrisons will change the way the game plays, making it feel new.

Draenor
  • Iron Horde will be coming through the Dark Portal in the weeks coming up to the expansion release.
  • Upon arrival to Draenor, players will go through a 45 minute experience to try and turn off the Dark Portal to save Azeroth.
  • You will see why the enemy is so bad right right away, as well as why you must stop them.
  • When Garrosh goes back to Draenor, he still thinks he is a great savior. He wants to show the world the might of a united Orc front.


Flying in Warlords of Draenor
One of the statements from the interview above prompted some discussion on the forums about the possibility of no flying at all in Warlords of Draenor.



Hearthsteed Colors
You may remember that the Hearthsteed mount was added to the game with both red and blue variations. So far, everyone has received the blue version for trying out Hearthstone. It appears the red version still may show up in the future though!





Patch 5.4.7 Hotfixes - March 11
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
Racial Abilities
  • Worgen
    • Darkflight's movement speed increase no longer stacks with Burning Rush or Burst of Speed.

Classes
  • Monk
    • General
      • Successfully parrying an attack with Swift Reflexes should no longer incorrectly cause NPC guards to attack the Monk for reflexively striking back at an attacker.

Raids, Dungeons, and Scenarios
  • Dungeons
    • Mogu'shan Palace: Resolved an issue where Trial of the King may not reset correctly if the party dies during the encounter.

Battlegrounds and Arenas
  • Twin Peaks and Warsong Gulch
    • The winning team now receives an 18 Honor Point bonus for each capture the opposing team is prevented from completing. This means every capture below 3, up to a maximum of 54 bonus Honor if the losing team had 0 captures.
  • Arathi Basin, Eye of the Storm, and The Battle for Gilneas
    • Bonus Honor is now awarded to the team for every 130 resources gained (down from 260) or every 100 resources gained when it’s featured on Call to Arms (down from 200).
  • Silvershard Mines
    • Bonus Honor is now awarded to the team for every 200 resources gained (down from 265) or every 130 resources gained when it’s featured on Call to Arms (down from 160).
  • Strand of the Ancients
    • The amount of Honor awarded for successfully destroying or defending a gate has been doubled.

Timeless Isle
  • Guards at Huojin Landing and Tushui Landing on Timeless Isle are now significantly deadlier.

Brawler's Guild
  • Hexos: Players should no longer be killed by the maze after successfully defeating Hexos.

Blue Posts
Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Hotfix Bug
You nerfed Flying Serpent Kick for FC'ing but you didn't nerf Burst of Speed?
This was unintentional (an unexpected side effect of a different hotfix). We're working on correcting the issue now. Once that's done, Monks should once again be able to use Roll, Chi Torpedo, and Flying Serpent Kick while carrying the flag. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Hearthsteed Issues
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
If you have having troubles with procuring this mount, try this!

1) Be sure to win 3 games of Hearthstone in PLAY or ARENA mode first! Your 3 wins can be from Casual or Ranked play. The introductory missions do not count. You'll know it's your third win because you'll get the "Mount Up!" quest reward notification in Hearthstone!

2) Log into World of Warcraft and check your mail. No Hearthsteed to be seen? Go to the next step!

3) Log out of World of Warcraft and log in to Hearthstone one more time.

4) Log out of Hearthstone and log back in to World of Warcraft. Check your mail - your Hearthsteed should await!

Free Character Migrations Available (EU)
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
If you're on one of the source realms listed below, you can move your characters to one of the designated destination realms and avoid the queues—for free!

By initiating one of these transfers, you will be moving your character to a new realm and home. This is a one-time, one-way move. If you wish to move your character elsewhere, you will need to use the paid transfer service.

  • Silvermoon => Magtheridon / Azuremyst
  • Kazzak / Outland / Stormscale => Auchindoun

Please be aware that, due to the unpredictable nature of free transfers, we may close down any Free Character Migrations at any time and without warning if the target realm becomes full. If you plan to move with friends or your guild, we suggest that you coordinate the effort to reduce the chance of any stragglers being left behind.

Early closures aside, this set of Free Character Migrations will end on Tuesday, March 18

Begin a Free Character Migration now! We recommend reviewing the FAQ, as it details what is or isn't allowed for transferred characters.

Garrison Screenshot
Jeremy Feasel recently joined Twitter and shared a garrison screenshot. He works on Garrisons, Pet Battles, Timeless Isle and more.

This article was originally published in forum thread: WoD Dev Interviews, Flying in Draenor, Hearthsteed Colors, Mar 11 Hotfixes, Garrison started by chaud View original post
Comments 286 Comments
  1. Foron269's Avatar
    Honestly, I'm glad there's no flying at release, Hopefully it will make people appreciate the effort blizzard puts into creating grand landscapes and beautiful scenery.

    Also, I remember one of the dev's saying why its not at release is because they don't want people bunny hopping from quest to quest and skipping so much with flying mounts, they want to provide immersion, and its rather selfish that people would complain about it, I know for a fact the vast majority of veteran players will appreciate it, maybe the young-ens can learn to also.
  1. Notos's Avatar
    I don't really care about the lack of flying mounts; the world is more engaging when you can't skip past everything by flying. But they should at least leave flying alone in the rest of the game, since people have gotten used to flying there and some areas were designed with flying in mind.
  1. balir's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkgego View Post
    Let´s sell one more flying mount on the store before no one can use it in Draenor ...
    Or sell the only mount than can fly in Draenor. Blizzard couldn't be that cynical... Could they?
  1. Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by balir View Post
    Or sell the only mount than can fly in Draenor. Blizzard couldn't be that cynical... Could they?
    That would defeat the freaking purpose.
  1. g0rg0n's Avatar
    After spending 10843 gold and 20 silver on flight training for each of my 9 alts. WHY THE F' would I POSSIBLY want to use it? Should have made the deluxe edition mount a ground mount then, it seems....
  1. The Glitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by g0rg0n View Post
    After spending 10843 gold and 20 silver on flight training for each of my 9 alts. WHY THE F' would I POSSIBLY want to use it? Should have made the deluxe edition mount a ground mount then, it seems....
    It is both a flyer and a ground mount, problem solved
  1. Permatree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Notos View Post
    I don't really care about the lack of flying mounts; the world is more engaging when you can't skip past everything by flying. But they should at least leave flying alone in the rest of the game, since people have gotten used to flying there and some areas were designed with flying in mind.
    running as fast as you can through the least mob-populated route you can find, hoping you don't get dazed off your mount and forced to deal with a handful of mobs that threaten nothing but your time does not make the world more engaging. They need to incentivize ground travel, by making it more interesting or rewarding, not punish players for choosing convenience.
  1. Stealthrang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Wasn't there 5 years before BC(Which is when Flying Mounts came?)
    Haha what? No....try two.
  1. crazyterran's Avatar
    I'm willing to bet the 'immediate effects' of the Iron Horde coming through the portal is going to involve Nethergarde / the Horde base being sacked, and the heroes saving the day and reclaiming them, or some shit.
  1. g0rg0n's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    It is both a flyer and a ground mount, problem solved
    Doesn't solve the nearly 100k gold i've spent for the privilege of possibly not flying even eventually in the next expac zones. I was ok with not flying until level cap, or hell until the first patch. But seriously, how the hell do they think people are going to take it, that they are going to wait and see how much of a shitstorm has to brew before changing their mind?

    Its bad customer relations to design something, have people pour money into it, take it away and then if you complain enough they deign to give it back to us.
  1. The Glitch's Avatar
    I am a wee bit worried about the 45 minute thing mentioned about the pre expansion event, It sounds like it's going to be a *once done quest chain* and not something that you can continually interact with over the weeks before WoD release, I hope it does have more involved than just a 45 minute quest chain, I really do! Fingers crossed.
  1. Quakefan's Avatar
    NO flying???? Noooo NOOOOOO Noooooo!!!!!!!! NOT GOOD!!! I don`t care, if I can`t fly while leveling, but at level 100 I wanna fly over Draenor!!!! Flying makes you faster! You wanna play slower??? Go ahead..don`t fly, good for u, but NOT FOR ME!!!!!!!
  1. The Glitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by g0rg0n View Post
    Doesn't solve the nearly 100k gold i've spent for the privilege of possibly not flying even eventually in the next expac zones. I was ok with not flying until level cap, or hell until the first patch. But seriously, how the hell do they think people are going to take it, that they are going to wait and see how much of a shitstorm has to brew before changing their mind?

    Its bad customer relations to design something, have people pour money into it, take it away and then if you complain enough they deign to give it back to us.
    Oh I totally get it, I'm a Druid, and being that one of my classes abilities is null and void for a patch, on top of not being able to use my shiney mounts, does suck, but I also see it from the view that, all that gold spent on flying in the past was for those specific expansions, every expansion, something changes, and we have to pay for flying again, till next expansion, so it's meh to me.

    I think honestly, we should wait and see, I mean they are building this expansion around ground mounts, where as before the expansions were built around having flyers, so they may have new and interesting stuff that will hook us into ground movement, I'm willing to wait and get some info from Beta before going mental over not having flight for a patch or more, if they don't do the ground mount environment justice, then I will be the first over on their forums telling them they might have got it wrong
  1. Zaydin's Avatar
    If blizzard takes away flight for an entire expansion, I kinda hope there's a mass revolt against them for such a boneheaded decision.
  1. Klokie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    I am a wee bit worried about the 45 minute thing mentioned about the pre expansion event, It sounds like it's going to be a *once done quest chain* and not something that you can continually interact with over the weeks before WoD release, I hope it does have more involved than just a 45 minute quest chain, I really do! Fingers crossed.
    The 45 min is the start of the expansion, after we have arrived Dreanor.

    The pre expansion stuff will take months since some tweets have indicated that the iron horde will take quite a chunke of Eastern Kingdoms.
  1. arcaneshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Permatree View Post
    running as fast as you can through the least mob-populated route you can find, hoping you don't get dazed off your mount and forced to deal with a handful of mobs that threaten nothing but your time does not make the world more engaging. They need to incentivize ground travel, by making it more interesting or rewarding, not punish players for choosing convenience.
    If you can't come up with an incentive to stay on the ground, I don't think hoping that Blizzard employees can is such a great thing to do.
  1. Zechs-cenarius's Avatar
    I see a massive backlash coming with regards to the no flying. Seems like a bit of the entire too little too late type of thing. Kind of like when they decided to up dungeon difficulty in cata after an entire expansion of facerolling in wrath. I see no good to come of this.
  1. Stormykitten's Avatar
    More bad than good came from flying, I think. Not only bad, mind - just more. It's convenient, but it made the game smaller, and the possible sights farther between... at least in the sense of seeing other players' antics.
  1. Shampro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    I am a wee bit worried about the 45 minute thing mentioned about the pre expansion event, It sounds like it's going to be a *once done quest chain* and not something that you can continually interact with over the weeks before WoD release, I hope it does have more involved than just a 45 minute quest chain, I really do! Fingers crossed.
    I think you missed the interviews where it is stated that the event is basicly them pouring from the portal for several weeks.

    It sounds like the Burning Crusade event, but instead of the Legion, it'll be Iron Horde.
  1. Kaleredar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Foron269 View Post
    Honestly, I'm glad there's no flying at release, Hopefully it will make people appreciate the effort blizzard puts into creating grand landscapes and beautiful scenery.

    Also, I remember one of the dev's saying why its not at release is because they don't want people bunny hopping from quest to quest and skipping so much with flying mounts, they want to provide immersion, and its rather selfish that people would complain about it, I know for a fact the vast majority of veteran players will appreciate it, maybe the young-ens can learn to also.
    Yeah I'm a "veteran player."

    Playing this game for so long has allowed me to realize that I really like playing the game I want to play.

    If I want to bunny hop between quests, so what?

Site Navigation