MMO-Champion - New Fiery Mechanical Mount Coming Soon, Flying in Warlords of Draenor
New Fiery Mechanical Mount - Coming Soon
Blizzard posted a preview of an upcoming mount on their social media accounts this afternoon.

"Fiery mechanical steeds are best when they can be used with friends."



Warlords of Draenor Alpha - Build 18179 Sword
There was one weapon model which didn't make it into the notes yesterday. Unlike many of the weapons we have previewed so far, this one is not from quests or crafting!





Flying in Warlords of Draenor
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
This probably should have been kept to the original thread, but caution to thee, wind, I say! (I say that.)

So everyone has seen various posts and comments around the World Wide Web about flying not being allowed in Draenor, why, and what that means. It’d probably be helpful to try to sum up some of those things, and potentially help build a foundation for anyone’s discussions on the topic going forward. If everyone has the same info then it just helps conversations glide along, as you can expect everyone else knows what you know! Knowledge Parity! (Knarity?)

Anyway, it’s important to first dissuade concerns that we’re looking to slow down the game (I’ve recently posted about this in another thread, but it bears repeating). We’re going to be making sure flight paths and other forms of travel are quick and efficient, with a goal of getting you to the places you want to go. The flight paths in Draenor are not going to be loop-de-loop sightseeing tours, and we’re going to be looking to our beta testers to let us know if any are less than tip-top.

Our goal is not to make travel time consuming or painful, and with players on ground mounts we know we'll have to do more to try to ensure people can get to where they want to go quickly… BUT being able to lift off and fly over content compromises many of our goals in how the game world is approached, how it's played, how it's consumed, and how the content is designed to account for those factors.

As an example, let us consider a quest to assassinate an enemy leader. From the ground you approach a fort with guards at the gate. You charge and are able to dispatch them and sneak in a side hallway. You methodically take out packs of roaming sentries, and some of them shout at you as they run toward you. You notice they’re in the middle of practicing dark and forbidden magics, and you take a moment to disrupt their ritual. Dashing into the main courtyard you spot your target, sneaking and fighting your way to him--and with a forceful slash--the fort’s captain is vanquished, and as guards are alerted you fight your way out, glorious and triumphant in your success.

Alternatively, from a flying mount, you fly over the gate, see some guy whose name is highlighted, land on top of him, kill him, and then fly away.

Being efficient is great, being clever is great, and using your cleverness to be efficient is great, but how many of us have done the Tillers dailies up on the cliffside where the Hozen are, and waited for packs to pass by before setting down right where you’re supposed to, use whatever thingamabob you’re supposed to, and then lift off ASAP hoping-hoping-hoping nothing aggros? How many of us have become furious when we actually have to fight something!? Is that clever gameplay? Is that being good at playing the game, or is it using a mechanic to avoid having to play it? Is that what the game should be, and what our expectations should be as gamers playing it?

I hope everyone can agree, regardless of personal opinion toward flight vs. non-flight, that flying fundamentally alters how content is approached in a world where the gameplay exists wholly on the ground.

In Draenor we’re designing max-level content, portions of zones or zones in their entirety that will be dedicated to max-level gameplay—and not just the top of a cliffside, or some dailies in the Vale. There’s a harsh change in how the game plays between leveling, and when you hit max level. Hitting 100 and instantly switching everything you do to raiding or Arenas is pretty abrupt, and we want to try to keep that questing experience available at max level with something more robust than daily quests. We don’t think having all of that content inside buildings, or constantly challenged by sky cannons, or with magical no-flying smoke, or within some kind of dismount bubble is the most straightforward or best solution to the ultimate issue in that World of Warcraft is not a flight sim, and that's just not what the content of the game is about. Even at level 100 there will be no small portions of the game world intended to provide relevant content even to max-level players. These zones may even unlock over the course of the expansion, or the content in them will progress in story and scope throughout content patches. Content has to be designed with the expectation that there either is or is not flight, and approaching ground-level content from the ground offers more compelling gameplay. Raids, dungeons, and PvP continue to disallow flying for this same reason.

It's also important to think about not just what the content is, but how it's experienced. Not everyone that plays the game cares how quests and outdoor content are experienced, of course. Some may find it unnecessary; they don't feel it adds anything to their experience. Others play through it fairly quickly, enjoy it, but don’t particularly want to put much thought into why. Some may begrudgingly trudge through the content just so they can get to the part of the game they do want to play, and any other number of situations and preferences.

I’m sure some of you see the fortress example with the flying mount and see nothing wrong, if that’s how someone wants to play the game they should be allowed to. But a game is largely defined by its limitations, and the rules within which you must find or create a solution. We’re not trying to create a slow and laborious game (hopefully people actually enjoy the content!), or expect people will be yelling “YIIIPPPEEEEE!” while fighting a mob that aggroed when they tried to pick an herb, but there’s a big difference between a slow and laborious game and the expectation of instant gratification—not to mention the somewhat nebulous intention of creating and maintaining an engaging and immersive game world. World of Warcraft is a persistent online roleplaying game, and as much as we let players choose how they improve their characters within the world; leveling through dungeons, or PvP, or questing; choosing to do Arenas, or raids, or both; we’re still always wanting to create a holistic experience that supports all of these things. That doesn’t mean we think it’s a good idea to force people to read all their quest text, or stare at and appreciate the pretty new models, or anything like that, but it’s not unreasonable to see that combat and content exist on the ground, understand that, embrace that, and make decisions to support it.

In summary: It’s important to us that we integrate max-level questing into the expansion more thoroughly than designated daily locations on mountain tops, or only have the option of releasing new max level content in magically appearing islands where flight has different rules because reasons. We also know that being able to approach content that’s on the ground from up in the air compromises much of what creates the game world, how it's played, and how it's consumed. The game experience is fundamentally altered when you can lift off and set down wherever you want. And lastly, that we’re not intending to slow anyone down, and we’re going to make sure that players can get where they want to go efficiently through more direct flight points, and potentially alternate travel methods.

None of this is new philosophy; it's something we've maintained since Burning Crusade when flight was introduced, but it has evolved over the years, and I expect it to continue to be—like everything we do—an iterative process. And hopefully this has been at least marginally informative.

yet, we have yet to receive an answer as to when flying will be implemented, if at all. sounds to me like not at all.
We don't know. We don't purport to have definitive answers for anything, especially before we've even begun external testing.

Everything in this game is about time consumption. Hands down. I see no problem with that because after all the business model dictates it (meaning the goal is to acquire another monthly payment from the customer).

I guess what im saying is that there are adults in the room and we know that no flying at drop of xpacs is purely a business decision (again, one thaty I do not have a problem with).

Try shooting us straight from time to time...were not all kids.

Making a fun game makes people want to play the game, not nickle and diming their time. Was the game an insulting disservice to you as an adult before flying existed?

The dishonest are want to identify dishonesty, even where it doesn't exist.
This article was originally published in forum thread: New Fiery Mechanical Mount Coming Soon, Flying in Warlords of Draenor started by chaud View original post
Comments 436 Comments
  1. Ayla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    Ugghh gonna spaz out if this is another RAF mount. I don't have the money to drop on 2 expansions for raf and I dont have any friends.



    If you love it then buy it. If you can't be bothered to buy it, then you don't love it as much as you think you do. Stop complaining.
    You complained that you don't have the money to raf yourself. Hypocrite. This will be the first time I will not whip out my credit card asap. I will not pad their numbers.
  1. taheen74's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frag971 View Post
    I like the no flying. We'll see how it plays out. This is why invisibility or stealth or shadowmeld is amazing - allows you to skip the content you want anyway: just pop a shield and run through all the mobs and vanish at the end.
    You do realize your comment is basically an oxymoron, right?

    According to the no flying crowd, flying is a way to avoid mobs (something we've been doing since vanilla), a way to avoid wpvp (if you are on a PVE server, there's a big chance you didn't care about wpvp to begin with), a way to skip over content (I don't buy this excuse).

    I used to feign death and use my pet as reaver fodder back in BC all of the time. Rogue's could vanish and run off. Isn't that the same exact thing as "avoiding mobs"? I couldn't tell you how many people STILL- after 10 years- fall for the old feign death trick.
  1. breakingjacob's Avatar
    I have played since the start of BC. I can honestly say forcing me to ground mount over flying may cause me to take an extended break until changed or quit all together. PLEASE give us the option, don't force one choice on us. Those who want to fight through 50 mobs to kill 1 quest objective, let them. Don't force those who don't. It takes long enough as it is to get around for dailies, warbringers, pvp gear turn in, Timeless island farming, old tier turn ins, and so on. If you limit the game, you limit the players.
  1. bonechene's Avatar
    Now all the ponyfags can RP with this mount.
  1. Raysz's Avatar
    I honestly feel that the 'no flying, for however long it takes' is the least of their worries. They need to bring new refreshing content, customisations, more freedom and immersion (day and night cycle, tatoos for chars etc).
    I was excited about the new models, and just that. Not interested in the lore and garrisons seem somewhat nice. Probably the first time in many years (since Vanilla) that I'm not sure if I'll buy it.
  1. ola's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    The first few paragraphs are exactly why Cataclysm's leveling suffered tremendously. You weren't in the world. You didn't feel like you were in the world. Personally, I've played MMOs without flying and I prefer it. It may take longer to get from point A to point B, but at least you feel part of the world. I wouldn't stop using my flying mount in WoW because it's more efficient when trying to do dailies or grind mats, but I wouldn't be opposed to their elimination altogether. Or at least in current expansion content.
    truth, flying through mount hyjal while questing immediately activated auto pilot straight to 85 (literally and figuratively). any potential immersion was lost due to the fact i could skip so much content. though i would be opposed to eliminating flying yet more than fine with it being disable from wod zones.
  1. KClovesGaming's Avatar
    Cool looking mount.

    Quote Originally Posted by breakingjacob View Post
    I have played since the start of BC. I can honestly say forcing me to ground mount over flying may cause me to take an extended break until changed or quit all together. PLEASE give us the option, don't force one choice on us. Those who want to fight through 50 mobs to kill 1 quest objective, let them. Don't force those who don't. It takes long enough as it is to get around for dailies, warbringers, pvp gear turn in, Timeless island farming, old tier turn ins, and so on. If you limit the game, you limit the players.
    I started in the very beginning of BC as well and I personally don't care. Flying to me is pointless and only convenient for gathering professions. Other than that there are enough flight paths and portals to get where you need to go and I'm sure there will be enough of those come WoD.

    I mean, in Cata, you could skip everything. Kill a mob, no need to fight your way out. Just mount up and fly away. A quest that took time to complete ended up taking 30 seconds with flying. No thanks. No wonder everyone ended up max level in less than one week.
  1. Mush's Avatar
    They just want people to play longer so that they can rake in more money. It is beyond obvious.

    Why are people ok with that?

    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    before setting down right where you’re supposed to, use whatever thingamabob you’re supposed to, and then lift off ASAP hoping-hoping-hoping nothing aggros? How many of us have become furious when we actually have to fight something!? Is that clever gameplay? Is that being good at playing the game, or is it using a mechanic to avoid having to play it? Is that what the game should be, and what our expectations should be as gamers playing it?
    This isn't the players fault, it is their fault as a company for making basic combat not interesting or rewarding enough for the time required to do it. If people want to avoid something, it isn't because its a good fun thing, its because it is a annoying useless mechanic.

    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Making a fun game makes people want to play the game, not nickle and diming their time. Was the game an insulting disservice to you as an adult before flying existed?

    The dishonest are want to identify dishonesty, even where it doesn't exist.
    No it wasn't "insulting etc" because it didn't exist before. Now they are taking something away that we already have.

    The only think that is insulting is the fact that Blizz constantly spits in their consumers faces. They continually release less and less and ask for more and more in return. They have shitty business ethics and puerile attitudes.
  1. Tempeste's Avatar
    Another announcement of a new mount, another great looking new mount you can't get without paying real money.

    I remember a time where news of a new great looking mount was actually exciting because you didn't have to whip out your wallet to obtain it. It was fine at first when it was just a few, but it's starting to get really old Blizzard.
  1. Azrile's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spekkiebig View Post
    So you basically say that your way of experiencing the game is better then how I like to play? Sounds awefully elitist.
    Im not looking for instant gratification, I just dont see the added value of restricting flying past level 100 or taking away choices from people that don't affect anyone else
    Because it is a game, and the developers are hired to make decisions that make the game feel fun and rewarding. If it were up to players, the quest mob would be 1 second away from the quest giver. There would be no trash mobs in dungeons and everything would take 1 button and 1 second to kill.

    I really would love if everyone who is bitching and moaning about this and is so sure they will not subscribe til 6.1 to link to armory.

    I hope they remove flying for the entire expansion because it makes the game more fun to me.
  1. bigmurph's Avatar
    They think tha sub numbers are down now.. Yea take flying out get ready 2 go down 2 about say 4 or 5 mill subs if not less.. this is a HUGE fuck up on there part.. Wait & see. mark my words. they remove flying and say goodby 2 yours subs blizz
  1. Paradyne's Avatar
    New RAF mount and a damage control post about flying that doesn't really deny they intend not to re-enable flying but certainly tries to make a case for it.

    There is more desperation in the air than in a Limo full of male virgins on their way to senior prom.

    Oh and a new sword that makes me certain that we are going to have a hall to hold Raves in inside our garrisons because that thing has glow stick written all over it.
  1. Daralii's Avatar
    Those weapons are disturbingly troll-esque.

    Be afraid.
  1. Vaneesh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    Wow. F you too Blizzard. To answer this insulting idiot's question, no the game wasn't an insulting disservice to me as an adult before flying existed. But then, flying was added to the game. Players didn't add it. Blizzard did. We fought and fought and played and played for our mounts, and now they're crippling them because they couldn't think of anything better to do.

    In other words, STOP TRYING TO MAKE ME LIKING NO-FLYING HAPPEN. IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
    Sorry to be rough, but you got called out on trying to hoist yourself on a mountain by kicking the other person down the slope. Grow up and deal with it.

    Try telling any (real) artist he/she's "only doing it for the money". While it may be true in *some* cases, it's mostly a strawman, and an offensive one at that.
  1. slippyfistjohnson's Avatar
    WoD will go down just like the start of Cataclysm. The thing no one seems to notice is that not everyone enjoys having to fight with a million people for mobs or resources. People want to get in and get out and that's it. We don't want to be fodder for someone looking for PvP or have to compete with bots for either drops of nodes. All this does is amplify the issues that have been introduced via CRZ and merged servers. Taking out flying will be fine until 1 week in when you have a bunch of bored 100s who have nothing to do but go camp the nearest chokepoint in the questing/leveling experience.

    This is a stupid idea.

    It is all based on the notion that we each have a slew of friends who are at our beck and call for dungeons to questing to whatever. Dungeon finder and the like came into being for a reason. It is a shame WoD needs to remind Blizzard how/why they came to where they are.

    Oh well.
  1. Mush's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaneesh View Post
    Sorry to be rough, but you got called out on trying to hoist yourself on a mountain by kicking the other person down the slope. Grow up and deal with it.

    Try telling any (real) artist he/she's "only doing it for the money". While it may be true in *some* cases, it's mostly a strawman, and an offensive one at that.
    But it is factual, they want to elongate the time people play the game. They want to make people play longer, because the longer people play, the more money they make. Also the longer people play, the more invested the person gets in the game and then the player is less likely to quit.

    If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.
  1. Bizarre Monkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spekkiebig View Post
    So you basically say that your way of experiencing the game is better then how I like to play? Sounds awefully elitist.
    Elitist is one of those phrases that seems to be passed around in lieu of anything slightly clever. Your way of playing isn't playing. It's getting shit done fast so you can get to what you want to get to. Theres a difference between Elitism and calling out idiocy, besides they have given you a reason, a large wall of texty reason as to why, you're only asking further despite the length of clarification because you demand a change, and so far there's been no signs Blizzard are going back on this, so get over it. You are entitled to stop giving them a subscription fee if it means that much to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by spekkiebig View Post
    Im not looking for instant gratification, I just dont see the added value of restricting flying past level 100 or taking away choices from people that don't affect anyone else
    Since you don't seem keen on reading, I'm not going to try and explain it further, the Blizzard representative gave you an entire wall of text stating why, I was poking fun at you for asking in the first place that which may as well have been a rhetorical complaint to begin with.

    For me personally, it'll mean people can't leg it and fly away when they come at me in PVP and realize they are going to lose in the miraculous off chance I manage to stand my ground. Also WoW is a game that has it's focus primarily on the ground. Flying jeopardizes the questing experience and immersion for a lot of people, also it means World PVP might happen somewhat and it also means that Azeroth should feel a bit more alive since everyone will be on the ground rather than flying in empty cloud space. You're going to pass by people which makes the game world feel more populated.

    These aren't in any of the reasons the GM stated, but they're just as valid.

    It's not a hard reasoning to grasp. When given the choice, people will fly, when there's no choice, then it makes it easy to adjust to non-flying.
  1. RickJamesLich's Avatar
    The lack of the flying mounts in Draenor is probably the smartest move blizzard has done in a long time.
  1. Bizarre Monkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    Those weapons are disturbingly troll-esque.

    Be afraid.
    Hell yes, Darkspear forever.

    I think I said that in response to a Youtube comment but I think it bares repeating.
  1. Torais's Avatar
    I love how they tell Engineers they don't have time to make them a new mount before WoD launch then proceed to make TWO Engineer-themed mounts (this one and Azeroth Choppers) except not let Engineers make them.

Site Navigation