MMO-Champion - New Fiery Mechanical Mount Coming Soon, Flying in Warlords of Draenor
New Fiery Mechanical Mount - Coming Soon
Blizzard posted a preview of an upcoming mount on their social media accounts this afternoon.

"Fiery mechanical steeds are best when they can be used with friends."



Warlords of Draenor Alpha - Build 18179 Sword
There was one weapon model which didn't make it into the notes yesterday. Unlike many of the weapons we have previewed so far, this one is not from quests or crafting!





Flying in Warlords of Draenor
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
This probably should have been kept to the original thread, but caution to thee, wind, I say! (I say that.)

So everyone has seen various posts and comments around the World Wide Web about flying not being allowed in Draenor, why, and what that means. It’d probably be helpful to try to sum up some of those things, and potentially help build a foundation for anyone’s discussions on the topic going forward. If everyone has the same info then it just helps conversations glide along, as you can expect everyone else knows what you know! Knowledge Parity! (Knarity?)

Anyway, it’s important to first dissuade concerns that we’re looking to slow down the game (I’ve recently posted about this in another thread, but it bears repeating). We’re going to be making sure flight paths and other forms of travel are quick and efficient, with a goal of getting you to the places you want to go. The flight paths in Draenor are not going to be loop-de-loop sightseeing tours, and we’re going to be looking to our beta testers to let us know if any are less than tip-top.

Our goal is not to make travel time consuming or painful, and with players on ground mounts we know we'll have to do more to try to ensure people can get to where they want to go quickly… BUT being able to lift off and fly over content compromises many of our goals in how the game world is approached, how it's played, how it's consumed, and how the content is designed to account for those factors.

As an example, let us consider a quest to assassinate an enemy leader. From the ground you approach a fort with guards at the gate. You charge and are able to dispatch them and sneak in a side hallway. You methodically take out packs of roaming sentries, and some of them shout at you as they run toward you. You notice they’re in the middle of practicing dark and forbidden magics, and you take a moment to disrupt their ritual. Dashing into the main courtyard you spot your target, sneaking and fighting your way to him--and with a forceful slash--the fort’s captain is vanquished, and as guards are alerted you fight your way out, glorious and triumphant in your success.

Alternatively, from a flying mount, you fly over the gate, see some guy whose name is highlighted, land on top of him, kill him, and then fly away.

Being efficient is great, being clever is great, and using your cleverness to be efficient is great, but how many of us have done the Tillers dailies up on the cliffside where the Hozen are, and waited for packs to pass by before setting down right where you’re supposed to, use whatever thingamabob you’re supposed to, and then lift off ASAP hoping-hoping-hoping nothing aggros? How many of us have become furious when we actually have to fight something!? Is that clever gameplay? Is that being good at playing the game, or is it using a mechanic to avoid having to play it? Is that what the game should be, and what our expectations should be as gamers playing it?

I hope everyone can agree, regardless of personal opinion toward flight vs. non-flight, that flying fundamentally alters how content is approached in a world where the gameplay exists wholly on the ground.

In Draenor we’re designing max-level content, portions of zones or zones in their entirety that will be dedicated to max-level gameplay—and not just the top of a cliffside, or some dailies in the Vale. There’s a harsh change in how the game plays between leveling, and when you hit max level. Hitting 100 and instantly switching everything you do to raiding or Arenas is pretty abrupt, and we want to try to keep that questing experience available at max level with something more robust than daily quests. We don’t think having all of that content inside buildings, or constantly challenged by sky cannons, or with magical no-flying smoke, or within some kind of dismount bubble is the most straightforward or best solution to the ultimate issue in that World of Warcraft is not a flight sim, and that's just not what the content of the game is about. Even at level 100 there will be no small portions of the game world intended to provide relevant content even to max-level players. These zones may even unlock over the course of the expansion, or the content in them will progress in story and scope throughout content patches. Content has to be designed with the expectation that there either is or is not flight, and approaching ground-level content from the ground offers more compelling gameplay. Raids, dungeons, and PvP continue to disallow flying for this same reason.

It's also important to think about not just what the content is, but how it's experienced. Not everyone that plays the game cares how quests and outdoor content are experienced, of course. Some may find it unnecessary; they don't feel it adds anything to their experience. Others play through it fairly quickly, enjoy it, but don’t particularly want to put much thought into why. Some may begrudgingly trudge through the content just so they can get to the part of the game they do want to play, and any other number of situations and preferences.

I’m sure some of you see the fortress example with the flying mount and see nothing wrong, if that’s how someone wants to play the game they should be allowed to. But a game is largely defined by its limitations, and the rules within which you must find or create a solution. We’re not trying to create a slow and laborious game (hopefully people actually enjoy the content!), or expect people will be yelling “YIIIPPPEEEEE!” while fighting a mob that aggroed when they tried to pick an herb, but there’s a big difference between a slow and laborious game and the expectation of instant gratification—not to mention the somewhat nebulous intention of creating and maintaining an engaging and immersive game world. World of Warcraft is a persistent online roleplaying game, and as much as we let players choose how they improve their characters within the world; leveling through dungeons, or PvP, or questing; choosing to do Arenas, or raids, or both; we’re still always wanting to create a holistic experience that supports all of these things. That doesn’t mean we think it’s a good idea to force people to read all their quest text, or stare at and appreciate the pretty new models, or anything like that, but it’s not unreasonable to see that combat and content exist on the ground, understand that, embrace that, and make decisions to support it.

In summary: It’s important to us that we integrate max-level questing into the expansion more thoroughly than designated daily locations on mountain tops, or only have the option of releasing new max level content in magically appearing islands where flight has different rules because reasons. We also know that being able to approach content that’s on the ground from up in the air compromises much of what creates the game world, how it's played, and how it's consumed. The game experience is fundamentally altered when you can lift off and set down wherever you want. And lastly, that we’re not intending to slow anyone down, and we’re going to make sure that players can get where they want to go efficiently through more direct flight points, and potentially alternate travel methods.

None of this is new philosophy; it's something we've maintained since Burning Crusade when flight was introduced, but it has evolved over the years, and I expect it to continue to be—like everything we do—an iterative process. And hopefully this has been at least marginally informative.

yet, we have yet to receive an answer as to when flying will be implemented, if at all. sounds to me like not at all.
We don't know. We don't purport to have definitive answers for anything, especially before we've even begun external testing.

Everything in this game is about time consumption. Hands down. I see no problem with that because after all the business model dictates it (meaning the goal is to acquire another monthly payment from the customer).

I guess what im saying is that there are adults in the room and we know that no flying at drop of xpacs is purely a business decision (again, one thaty I do not have a problem with).

Try shooting us straight from time to time...were not all kids.

Making a fun game makes people want to play the game, not nickle and diming their time. Was the game an insulting disservice to you as an adult before flying existed?

The dishonest are want to identify dishonesty, even where it doesn't exist.
This article was originally published in forum thread: New Fiery Mechanical Mount Coming Soon, Flying in Warlords of Draenor started by chaud View original post
Comments 436 Comments
  1. Bizarre Monkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    The lack of the flying mounts in Draenor is probably the smartest move blizzard has done in a long time.
    I was under the impression it won't be just Draenor, but everywhere.

    Which I am equally happy about.
  1. Mormolyce's Avatar
    "With friends" - either RAF mount (likely) or they're integrating with Facebook or something! Hopefully the former.

    Sigh, gotta try to convince more people to RAF...
  1. spekkiebig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moglock View Post
    Because they *could* just have you fly to the middle of the island, click on a chest, and get a full set of epics. What they have realized is that by allowing flight, it has backed them into a corner where they have to make bad design decisions in order to try and prevent you from just flying in, winning, and flying out. Would it be elitist for people to want actual content instead of one chest of full epics? There is a grey area and people feel, and Blizz is seeming to agree, that flight falls out of the grey area and into the "bad" area. Making us kill every mob on the way to one elite that will take 20 min to get to for a weak reward would also fall into the "bad" area. There is a middle ground.
    Well, the middle ground is already there, you are free to not fly, so the "content" you crave is already there..
    Whats this obsession with forcing other people to do it your way? why do you get off at the idea that others get restricted in how they enjoy the game when it doesn't affect you? The ONLY people that got shafted by this where kiddy gankers on pvp servers (and those actually use flying mounts more often then not, since they shy away from fights where they dont have a significant advantage)

    The truth is Blizz made a mistake by ever allowing you to play the way you have grown accustomed. That is why it has taken them so long to try and fix it. It cannot be fixed if they want to bring back that feeling we had in Vanilla or even Isle of Quel'Danas (which was a flight-restricted zone after flying was implemented even at max level). Timeless Isle was an attempt to ease us into no flying. They have made this decision because they feel it will make for a more enjoyable experience for you to play the way they want instead of the way you do now. If every quest is fly in, win, fly out, they all feel the same. They basically are all the same. Do you really think doing the same thing 100 times is more fun than taking the same time to do 10 things that vary and net you the same reward?
    Vanilla wasnt that much fun though, lots of time wasted on travelling, that feeling is called "rose tinted goggles".
    Like i said before, If you dont like flying when questing then just use a ground mount and let other people decide for themselves, why is it so hard to understand?
    And far more enjoyable? Thats subjective: I dont really enjoy running around and wasting my time (some people actually have a job), not everyone is a masochist.
    Also imo, mats won't be ruined by this. They can simply a) make nodes give more mats or b) make crafting cost less mats. In many cases, this will make gathering professions actually worth more. Mats were too abundant imo and it became the better choice to buy them because they were so cheap. This made having two crafting professions instead of a crafting + gathering profession the better decision. *That* takes away choice.
    I cant remember talking about gathering, altough that "problem" can easily be overcome with different solutions that dont remove choices from players.
    Finally, the level 90 boost is definitely an "instant gratification situation" (trademarked) but it is also for outdated content. Leveling to 90 is something that hasn't been current for most people (outside of alts) for over a year. By offering the boost with the xpac, it allows people to make an alt that they may not have done if they had to spend the time to level it to 90. This may help add tanks or healers to the game which is a plus. It also gives people something to gear up and practice with in the gap between xpacs. I personally love my MW Monk and I doubt I would have spent the time to level it to 90 after I already had 5+ 90s. There is no doubt the boost allows you to skip content. But it is old content and is *not* the same as not allowing flight in WoD.
    Again, I assume you are referring to other posters here, I dont really care about levelling boosts since the game starts at max level for me (after playing for 9+ years I dont care about levelling that much anyway).

    This has nothing to do with instant gratification, I seldom quest after I get to max level anyway (only when the game forces me to), I prefer playing with friends instead, I still haven't seen any valid argument as to why people like me are forced to suddenly change their playstyle without there being a good reason for it, the "content" you and blizzard wish for is already there if you want to play like that, stop forcing it on the rest of us.

    //edit:

    Originally Posted by Mush
    But it is factual, they want to elongate the time people play the game. They want to make people play longer, because the longer people play, the more money they make. Also the longer people play, the more invested the person gets in the game and then the player is less likely to quit.

    If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.
    Thats what Im thinking too, it seems activision is finally rearing its ugly head.
  1. Bizarre Monkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taheen74 View Post
    According to the no flying crowd, flying is a way to avoid mobs (something we've been doing since vanilla), a way to avoid wpvp (if you are on a PVE server, there's a big chance you didn't care about wpvp to begin with), a way to skip over content (I don't buy this excuse).

    I used to feign death and use my pet as reaver fodder back in BC all of the time. Rogue's could vanish and run off. Isn't that the same exact thing as "avoiding mobs"? I couldn't tell you how many people STILL- after 10 years- fall for the old feign death trick.
    Yeah, and most classes have a way to avoid or deal with not having to kill mobs now.
    Warrior: Shockwave / Other Stuns or Disorients
    Paladin: Choose a Bubble, any bubble. Stuns.
    Death Knight: Army of the Dead / Minion / Howling Blast
    Hunter: Camouflage
    Shaman: Hex and I haven't played much Shaman but they find ways.
    Rogue: Stealth
    Monk: Probably something, my monk is only level 42.
    Druid: Prowl, Nature's Grasp, Entangling Roots
    Mage: Greater Invisibility, Dragons Breath, Blink, Ice Barrier, Polymorph
    Warlock: Minion Distraction, Demonic Gates
    Priest: PW Shield, Psychic Scream

    Lel.
  1. Vaneesh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    But it is factual, they want to elongate the time people play the game. They want to make people play longer, because the longer people play, the more money they make. Also the longer people play, the more invested the person gets in the game and then the player is less likely to quit.

    If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.
    I'm not arguing the business-related benefits of extending the lifespan of an MMO.

    My point is that there are multiple reasons and multiple persons involved in any given design decisions. If there's the slightest chance this "no flying" decision is motivated by *more* than just money (I argue that this is the case here), then one has no grounds challenging the honesty behind that decision.

    In other words, while the claim may be correct, the context in which it's being used is not.
  1. Mush's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaneesh View Post
    I'm not arguing the business-related benefits of extending the lifespan of an MMO.

    My point is that there are multiple reasons and multiple persons involved in any given design decisions. If there's the slightest chance this "no flying" decision is motivated by *more* than just money (I argue that this is the case here), then one has no grounds challenging the honesty behind that decision.

    In other words, while the claim may be correct, the context in which it's being used is not.
    I'm not on the "WoW is dying" bandwagon, but it is very easy to see that blizzard has had a very serious reduction in subscription revenue due to problems with player retention.

    It is very likely that it has hurt them financially.
  1. Bizarre Monkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spekkiebig View Post
    Well, the middle ground is already there, you are free to not fly, so the "content" you crave is already there..
    Whats this obsession with forcing other people to do it your way? why do you get off at the idea that others get restricted in how they enjoy the game when it doesn't affect you? The ONLY people that got shafted by this where kiddy gankers on pvp servers (and those actually use flying mounts more often then not, since they shy away from fights where they dont have a significant advantage)
    Your logic is both broken and accomodates idiotic bias. Kiddy gankers would want flight to stay because their ideal way of ganking is fly in, kill a nub, and fly off. Also when the choice is there yes people will fly, we aren't going to disadvantage ourselves just because some entitled shit wants wings. Only in removal will our migration to the ground be absolute. It's like telling a drug user they could simply not have the drug when they are addicted and all their friends are doing.

    Quote Originally Posted by spekkiebig View Post
    Vanilla wasnt that much fun though, lots of time wasted on travelling, that feeling is called "rose tinted goggles".
    GROAN! Here we go again, back then flight paths were obnoxious and loopy, Blizzard have stated multiple times that such will be corrected in WoD. This recent passage included.
    Quote Originally Posted by spekkiebig View Post
    Like i said before, If you dont like flying when questing then just use a ground mount and let other people decide for themselves, why is it so hard to understand?
    Because as i already said, that's like telling a construction worker he can use a mining pack while jackhammers are available. Also as has been stated by a previous poster Blizzard bottlenecked themselves into having to design with the flying aspect in mind. It messes up questing flow a lot. The game has never been aimed at instant gratification, WoW has always been about the grind to progression. Flying damages a fair bit of that factor, you can still choose to skip quest text and mash through everything, but you aren't getting the full intended experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by spekkiebig View Post
    And far more enjoyable? Thats subjective: I dont really enjoy running around and wasting my time (some people actually have a job), not everyone is a masochist.
    I play WoW once or twice a week and both in Vanilla and now time management within my short periods of play has never been an issue, that's possibly the most retarded argument I've seen on the matter yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by spekkiebig View Post
    Again, I assume you are referring to other posters here, I dont really care about levelling boosts since the game starts at max level for me (after playing for 9+ years I dont care about levelling that much anyway).
    Well if you don't care about levelling then you're making a problem out of nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by spekkiebig View Post
    This has nothing to do with instant gratification, I seldom quest after I get to max level anyway (only when the game forces me to), I prefer playing with friends instead, I still haven't seen any valid argument as to why people like me are forced to suddenly change their playstyle without there being a good reason for it, the "content" you and blizzard wish for is already there if you want to play like that, stop forcing it on the rest of us.
    Why do you want a valid argument of which been given multiple? You have just responded to loads with mostly strawman excuses and I don't know why it means so fucking much to you if as you say "it has nothing to do with instant gratification".

    Your playstyle simply isn't optimal, it's against the games core philosophy and generates a lot of precautions that needn't have been there to begin with, it also avoids cowardly PVP'ing and encourages World PVP. If those reasons aren't valid to you, then I could care less if you unsubscribe, because you're a self-centered single-minded idiot. But you won't unsubscribe, WoW isn't a game you just quit after 9 years, when the Expansion comes you'll predictably buy it, play it and never question it again. You're only acting upon impulses to question Blizzard's actions because you clearly have nothing better to do with your life. For one who implies he has a job you are going to a good effort of showing that arguing with people who are smarter and more logical than you is actually the only job you have outside of playing WoW.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    I'm not on the "WoW is dying" bandwagon, but it is very easy to see that blizzard has had a very serious reduction in subscription revenue due to problems with player retention.

    It is very likely that it has hurt them financially.
    The servers used to host WoW cost collectively about 500 dollars a week to maintain, or roughly 160 subscribers. The only way Blizzard could be hurt financially is for people in the majority (as in, more than four million from now) to stop throwing money at them, which won't conceivably happen. Then there's people who pay for mounts, pets and other stuff. The majority of Blizzard's expenses are in developing new content and paying staff.
  1. Mush's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizarre Monkey View Post
    Because as i already said, that's like telling a construction worker he can use a mining pack while jackhammers are available.
    Yeah, but removing flying after it was already an integral part of the game is like giving the construction worker a pick axe, and telling him hes only allowed to use the pick axe when there is a pile of functioning jackhammers on the other side of the room.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Bizarre Monkey View Post

    The servers used to host WoW cost collectively about 500 dollars a week to maintain, or roughly 50 subscribers. The only way Blizzard could be hurt financially is for people in the majority (as in, more than four million from now) to stop throwing money at them, which won't conceivably happen. Then there's people who pay for mounts, pets and other stuff. The majority of Blizzard's expenses are in developing new content and paying staff.
    I mis-spoke, I don't mean that they are in the red, I mean that they don't have the same quality of life anymore. They have lost income that they once had.
  1. Silversorrow's Avatar
    "Fiery mechanical steeds are best when they can be used with friends."

    Definitely a RAF mount.
  1. Eggwolls's Avatar
    I'll be pissed if flying is never implemented in Draenor considering Blizzard gave us a FLYING mount for pre-ordering and every damn mount in the store is FLYING. I'm certain a majority of the player base doesn't see questing as some epic experience even when they design it to be that way simply because that player base just wants to get their shit done as fast as possible because they care about the end game raiding content, not the lore, quest and daily content. Questing and dailies will continue to be boring to a lot because it's tedious. There's no way around that. Take away the ability to make it as fast as possible forever? Yeah, people are going to be pissed. Ultimately, you are removing my freedom of choice. If I really want to see the content on the ground, I'll stay on the ground. I don't think there's anything wrong with how Blizz did it before. No flying till you cap. Simple, simple, simple. Don't piss off your players who just want the freedom to choose flying.
  1. Bizarre Monkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Yeah, but removing flying after it was already an integral part of the game is like giving the construction worker a pick axe, and telling him hes only allowed to use the pick axe when there is a pile of functioning jackhammers on the other side of the room.
    Reverted changes have been a common factor of WoW since it's beginning, though typically much more minor than this and usually enacted much faster. If that's all your worried about then it's pretty much a non issue. Also flying was NEVER an integral part of the game, it's an extra that Blizzard built a couple things around (Netherwing Ledge, Sha'tari Skyguard etc). Flying outside of those exceptions never factors directly into gameplay.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    I mis-spoke, I don't mean that they are in the red, I mean that they don't have the same quality of life anymore. They have lost income that they once had.
    Fair enough, Diamond Thrones al a Ron Pardo are pretty super.
  1. Shababoom's Avatar
    So... instead of doing something about mounted combat, they announced no flying at all to distract us from their promises. Nice marketing strategy. Dick move.
  1. Anarch the Subduer's Avatar
    When people say it's costing another raid tier, it's not a joke... It's probably partially true, up to a point.
  1. Bizarre Monkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggwolls View Post
    I'll be pissed if flying is never implemented in Draenor considering Blizzard gave us a FLYING mount for pre-ordering and every damn mount in the store is FLYING. I'm certain a majority of the player base doesn't see questing as some epic experience even when they design it to be that way simply because that player base just wants to get their shit done as fast as possible because they care about the end game raiding content, not the lore, quest and daily content. Questing and dailies will continue to be boring to a lot because it's tedious. There's no way around that. Take away the ability to make it as fast as possible forever? Yeah, people are going to be pissed. Ultimately, you are removing my freedom of choice. If I really want to see the content on the ground, I'll stay on the ground. I don't think there's anything wrong with how Blizz did it before. No flying till you cap. Simple, simple, simple. Don't piss off your players who just want the freedom to choose flying.
    Can that dumb looking Raven even fly? I don't think the Raven Lord Reins could and it's based off that model.

    Also WOD won't have dailies, spongelord.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eggwolls View Post
    that player base just wants to get their shit done as fast as possible because they care about the end game raiding content
    Well you wouldn't have been able to fly in Draenor or anywhere PRIOR TO AN AREAS MAX LEVEL ANYWAY so I don't see what the big deal is?

    Get to level 60, bam, done with Azeroth, can now fly in Azeroth. When BC came out, couldn't fly until you were level 70, same with Wrath, same with Pandaria.

    You aren't being dis-serviced at all from past to present in the regard you show concern for. Besides it's those players who spam run dungeons anyway and questing is simply a way to get some additional XP during queue times which for tanks and healers isn't even a necessity.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Shababoom View Post
    So... instead of doing something about mounted combat, they announced no flying at all to distract us from their promises. Nice marketing strategy. Dick move.
    Wat.

    When did Blizzard ever say mounted combat would be a thing?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Conqueror View Post
    When people say it's costing another raid tier, it's not a joke... It's probably partially true, up to a point.
    They have multiple different teams, and a single mount model that has the benefit of a reused skeleton takes at most twenty minutes of Blizzard's time. There's no mechanics to sort out nor dialogue to write or voice acting to wait on. May be one or two new SFX.

    A raid tier requires balancing for current player gear level, calculations of varying degrees, several new models and rigorous testing. A mount requires a quick easy effort by some of the 3D modelling team and the rest is out of effected hands. It is a joke whether the ones saying it believe so or not. It's also not exceptionally humorous after the first time, let alone the fiftieth.
  1. Sodia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizarre Monkey View Post
    That's legitimately the only decent reason to keep flying in. Maybe they'll fly while in movement and land when they stand still. The Engineering mounts are also a good example, they did different thinks on the land and in the air. I like how if you stood idle enough the engine would shut off and it'd land proper.

    Hmm... perhaps there maybe a compromise of some sort, we'll have to see. I was thinking maybe flight paths use your current flight mount instead of the low-poly gryphon or chimaera models.

    SHRUG!
    Exacly from Vrath till now the only mount from raids I dident got was the Black Proto . I have spend hundreds of hours to got them with my guild and now they told us "F.. o.. you cant fly coz PvP babys cry" ahh it gona be fun to got ganked over and over till i say fuck why do i play a game that i dont enjoy ??
  1. Azrile's Avatar
    For anyone who thinks this hasn´t already been decided.... it has. They are currently almost finished building the world for 6.0 to have no flying. At the earliest it will come with 6.1

    But if you read his post again.. it certainly sounds like they are not going to allow it at all. He talks about no flying on Draenor, but never says anything like ´until 6.1´

    Oh, and for people talking about them hurting for money. The stock is up 50% in the past year and revenues are through the roof... but even that doesn´t matter because people are just blowing smoke. Nobody is going to not buy the expansion because of this.
  1. Bizarre Monkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodia View Post
    Exacly from Vrath till now the only mount from raids I dident got was the Black Proto . I have spend hundreds of hours to got them with my guild and now they told us "F.. o.. you cant fly coz PvP babys cry" ahh it gona be fun to got ganked over and over till i say fuck why do i play a game that i dont enjoy ??
    I don't agree with that, I have over a hundred mounts but I'm more than happy to sacrifice flight for fight. Also contrary to your poor representation of Blizzard's ideology this will reduce PVP ganking because you can no longer swoop in, kill someone and then fuck off before they get mad and seek vengeance. It's not like you are being denied the mounts in totality, you can still ride around on all your alleged dope mounts, you just can't fly.

    On an unrelated note, this really iconic quote comes to mind.

    "You may clip our wings, but we'll never forget what it was like to fly." -Abraham Lincoln

    I might have that slightly wrong, last time I saw that quote was back in 2009 on a forum somewhere.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    For anyone who thinks this hasn´t already been decided.... it has. They are currently almost finished building the world for 6.0 to have no flying. At the earliest it will come with 6.1

    But if you read his post again.. it certainly sounds like they are not going to allow it at all. He talks about no flying on Draenor, but never says anything like ´until 6.1´

    Oh, and for people talking about them hurting for money. The stock is up 50% in the past year and revenues are through the roof... but even that doesn´t matter because people are just blowing smoke. Nobody is going to not buy the expansion because of this.
    You're underestimating how much they are going to attempt to convince us otherwise anyway. I mean it's pretty futile arguing for it here because not many of the Blizzard staff read the comments on MMO champion since their own forums are toxic with stupidity enough.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by bonechene View Post
    Now all the ponyfags can RP with this mount.
    >Implying there wasn't ample potential before. (sparkle pony, Headless Horseman's Steed, Fiery Warhorse, Deathcharger of Acherus, Stormwind Racial mounts, Invincible's Reins, Zhevra and the list goes on.)
  1. Durlockozk's Avatar
    No flying at max level seems like a poor design decision. We've seen this sort of long blue posts before, and its nothing more than a list of excuses for why the fluff will get shoved down our throats again faster than a MoP daily quest. The majority of the expansion looks like a lot of much needed changes, yet Blizzard always seems to find a way to screw things up with bad choices for the game. Cataclysm we got to beta test LFR while raiding constantly nerfed content for months on end. MoP we get charms of good fortune, valor point upgrades, and daily quest hubs. I've come to expect new quality of life issues to come along to counteract anything good that gets done to the game.
  1. Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    FFS It's a RAF Mount. The amount of people assuming a store mount really. If you stop thinking that maybe store mounts won't be so common.
  1. Awarewolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spekkiebig View Post
    Vanilla wasnt that much fun though, lots of time wasted on travelling, that feeling is called "rose tinted goggles".
    That is absolutely 100% incorrect. Modern MMO's that do NOT have flying mounts in them ARE a lot of fun, just as much as vanilla WOW, if not moreso, mainly because there are no flying mounts. FF14 is a great example, at this current time. Traveling is immersive, engrossing, and keeps the blood pressure low. The WOW you know and love today, that has fast paced flying skip over the story crap, is NOT the game Blizzard originally created. It's morphed to follow the current societal trends that you seem to enjoy, with quick action FPS and instantly gratifying games that you give you more and more in less and less time.

    Blizzard is by no means perfect in trying to go back to more traditional roleplaying game roots (instant 90 says hi) but this is a step in that direction, whether you like it or not.

    And the argument of "if you don't like flying, don't use" does not apply in reality when faced with human nature. Games are supposed to provide you with limitations so they can tell a certain story and guide you in a specific direction. If you don't like that direction that WOW is heading back toward, then this is no longer the game for you.

    Not that I want people leaving -- I like my worlds populated. But if I had to choose between less players, more engrossing gameplay and more players, less engrossing gameplay, I pick the former.

Site Navigation