MMO-Champion - WoW Down to 7.6 Million Subscribers
WoW Down to 7.6 Million Subscribers
Blizzard had their Q1 2014 earnings call today, announcing that WoW is down to 7.6 million subscribers. This is down 200k from the Q4 2013 call that listed WoW at 7.8 million subscribers.


Don't see a chart? Enable javascript!
This article was originally published in forum thread: WoW Down to 7.6 Million Subscribers started by chaud View original post
Comments 615 Comments
  1. Salech's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcherry View Post
    How much milk do you drink?! Your bones must be made of steel.
    It has been shown that osteoporose is more frequent at people that drink lots of milk so his bones are most likely falling apart.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedvika View Post
    7.60 million is still, what... probably 7 million more than any other MMO? WoW has, and always will have, a large influx and outflow of subscribers. I'm sure most of the people on this website have cancelled their account at one time or another (I know I have, thanks Cataclysm). Our jeweled beast is going nowhere anytime soon. I doubt we'll see it dip below 5 million in the next four years.
    Gw2 have 1-2 million logging in per day, no it's not subscribers however it is people that have bought the game, so it's "only" 5.5 million more than GW2 (i don't know for other games) however 7.6 million and yet i see 1-2 people on my server at RUSH hour, can't be my server that's flourishing that's for sure.
  1. Kryos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    to be fair the most popular game doesn't necessarily have to mean it's the best
    That's the only objective way to measure it. Everything else is personal preferences. Some like blue, others like red. If the red guy says "red is best" it's not a fact.
  1. Rocketbear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I think people just do the whole the grass is greener thing/ follow the crowd >.<

    Yeah I'm surprised how short some peoples memories are...wotlk had so many whiners it was unreal, blizzard even tried to change from the wotlk model in cata by making things harder/ require CC because of the sheer quantity of people saying wotlk was too easy, then you have polls today saying wotlk was the best thing since sliced bread for some reason :S
    Nostalgia my friend. Nostalgia. People look back on times with their rose colored glasses turned up to max. In reality, Cataclysm in some areas was superior to WotLK. Especially if we consider the shite launch tier, dreadful Trial of the Crusader and Icecrown itself was a let down. The biggest reason why people are so adverse to Cataclysm is because it ended on a rather low note with Dragon Soul, where the final boss fight was a major let down. But the rest of the expansion was quite solid in terms of content.

    Gw2 have 1-2 million logging in per day, no it's not subscribers however it is people that have bought the game, so it's "only" 5.5 million more than GW2 (i don't know for other games) however 7.6 million and yet i see 1-2 people on my server at RUSH hour, can't be my server that's flourishing that's for sure.
    Probably because currently players are spread out over multiple altitudes when we are speaking about MOP mainland, and the main cities. That and they're instances, which overall creates for a less lively game.
    Could be just that your server is limping across the floor.
  1. fly spray's Avatar
    Thats still impressive for a 10 year old game tbf. Subs probably increase when WoD hits then decrease as usual. 7.6 million is a lot of people though.
  1. Strychnine's Avatar
    Gw2 have 1-2 million logging in per day, no it's not subscribers however it is people that have bought the game, so it's "only" 5.5 million more than GW2 (i don't know for other games) however 7.6 million and yet i see 1-2 people on my server at RUSH hour, can't be my server that's flourishing that's for sure.
    Unfortunately you sort of dismantle your point. You're comparing a sub-based game vs a F2P game. As most that understand the trend, wow subs dip when expansions get to the end as people don't want to pay the money during the time they won't play it. Which is fine and makes sense. If the idea was you didn't have to pay for wow during those times, those metrics of logged in players would matter more and you'd probably see insane numbers for wow. However that is speculation, again you cannot compare the 2 games.

    Rocketbear covered the second half of it. My server died off on alliance during my 4 month break, but horde on the server tripled. Balanced and rotated like a set of faction tires.
  1. Salech's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbear View Post
    Nostalgia my friend. Nostalgia. People look back on times with their rose colored glasses turned up to max. In reality, Cataclysm in some areas was superior to WotLK. Especially if we consider the shite launch tier, dreadful Trial of the Crusader and Icecrown itself was a let down. The biggest reason why people are so adverse to Cataclysm is because it ended on a rather low note with Dragon Soul, where the final boss fight was a major let down. But the rest of the expansion was quite solid in terms of content.


    Probably because currently players are spread out over multiple altitudes when we are speaking about MOP mainland, and the main cities. That and they're instances, which overall creates for a less lively game.
    Could be just that your server is limping across the floor.

    My server is limping of the floor yes, there is no raid guild on alliance, 1 raid guild on horde for 10 man and they can barely get any people.
  1. Fatpob's Avatar
    i don't think there needs to be any worry in a subscription based model when you have 7.6m paying subscriptions. Plus with a new xpac at retail game price coming soon they are hardly going to cry.

    In truth even if they had 2m paying subs the game is still viable.
  1. Osmeric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billielecter View Post
    I might assume there is fraud in their statistics.
    Lying in quarterly earnings reports would be illegal. Accusing someone of a crime, if they have not actually committed the crime, is slander. You could be sued for writing such a thing.
  1. Strychnine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    My server is limping of the floor yes, there is no raid guild on alliance, 1 raid guild on horde for 10 man and they can barely get any people.
    Honestly man just server transfer(thought with queuing as it is it's not NEEDED by any means). But I plan to, as I've been more use to high pop servers and myself, wish to remain on one.
  1. pvrwizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    It seems to have leveled out temporarily.
    It's been fairly level for a year now
  1. Osmeric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Most people unsub at this part of the expansion
    There doesn't appear to be any data to support your statement. What data we have seems to indicate just the opposite.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Asperity View Post
    So the Lich King expansion [...] is considered the worst by majority of players
    Another statement not supported by any evidence.
  1. Ixuzcc's Avatar
    Seems it's stabled quite nicely. Expecting some drops going forward with a surge at new expansion, for it to even out at the 6 mills again in mid-to-late WoD.

    All in all, the game is still very healthy.
  1. Salech's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
    Unfortunately you sort of dismantle your point. You're comparing a sub-based game vs a F2P game. As most that understand the trend, wow subs dip when expansions get to the end as people don't want to pay the money during the time they won't play it. Which is fine and makes sense. If the idea was you didn't have to pay for wow during those times, those metrics of logged in players would matter more and you'd probably see insane numbers for wow. However that is speculation, again you cannot compare the 2 games.

    Rocketbear covered the second half of it. My server died off on alliance during my 4 month break, but horde on the server tripled. Balanced and rotated like a set of faction tires.

    I agree you can't compare but Gw2 is not a fucking free to play game at all.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
    Honestly man just server transfer(thought with queuing as it is it's not NEEDED by any means). But I plan to, as I've been more use to high pop servers and myself, wish to remain on one.
    I can't server transfer as i don't have extra money at all.
  1. Osmeric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbear View Post
    Nostalgia my friend. Nostalgia. People look back on times with their rose colored glasses turned up to max.
    I remember in previous expansions we had much better nostalgia. People just can't do nostalgia right anymore. It makes me long for the old days.
  1. Kryos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Another statement not supported by any evidence.
    Subs dropped with Cata and peaked with WotlK, that's cold facts.
    But WotlK was called a bad expansion by many raiders because of the 12 month ICC and that this expansion removed the exclusive flair raiding had and opened not only raiding to everybody who had time and interest in doing so but also nerfed heroic dungeon so much that it turned into an aoe-nukefest. The majority of the players are not raiders and not very good players. For them WotlK offered more than Vanilla and BC and so they liked it.
  1. Strychnine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    I agree you can't compare but Gw2 is not a fucking free to play game at all.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I can't server transfer as i don't have extra money at all.
    But it is F2P. Regardless of anything else that can be purchased and whether it is, you have the option to play the game and not pay monthly. That's typically the biggest turn off for people.

    As for the server transfer, there's nothing keeping you from getting some honor and justice points together, getting some heirlooms and sending them to a new toon on another server(xrealm mail has been working a few months now). Takes no time to level anymore, so there is a free option to that. Plus toys and stuff will me account wide. Mounts and stuff already are, almost no reason to matter leveling new stuff now.
  1. Swendel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    to be fair the most popular game doesn't necessarily have to mean it's the best
    His comment that you quoted is why I'm glad I left WoW. It's filled with people that are so elitist that they don't even acknowledge that people can like games that aren't WoW. I've been playing FFXIV since and while it may not be perfect, I am soooooo glad it's not WoW. I needed something different and I was tired of more of the same. WoW is still a great game but just not the game for me any longer.
  1. Artica's Avatar
    well when people got banned of (honnorbuddy PQR rotationbot) it was around 200k loss then the bought new accounts so went up 200k and now the lost 200k again so that means that it was stable !!!
  1. Derkenstein's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    Blizzard made more profit by selling a vanity pet in their store and giving half the money to charity than The Secret World made last year.

    Blizzard sold twice as many pre-orders of WoD, almost 10 months in advance to it´s release, than EVE has subscribers, which is the only really other successful subscriber based game out there.

    And something nobody has mentioned. Despite the fact that WOW is in the worst time of it´s cycle, the end of of an expansion... it saw the release of a major competitor without any major loss of subscribers. Another wow-killer come and gone, and Blizzard continues to beat earnings estimates.

    Tomorrow is going to be a good day.
    ^This is what everyone fails to realize.
  1. Koji2k11's Avatar
    wildstar is going to take some subs away from blizuuuuurd

Site Navigation