We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Dismiss
Patch 2.4 Hotfixes & Login Issues, How Much Gold in a T10 Vault?

Kindred Keywords Voting, Player Spotlight: Fibonacci - Control Warrior & Freeze Mage

New Diablo Heroes Revealed - Wizard Li-Ming & Necromancer Xul

Legion - Spec Swapping
Legion removes the dual spec limitation in favor of allowing players to use all of their specs. Switching between specs currently costs 100g in the alpha, but this is just a placeholder. It is free to switch back to whichever spec you have set as your primary spec.





Poll - Spec Swapping Cost
What do you think the cost for swapping specs in Legion should be? If you don't like any of the poll options, feel free to leave a comment!



Patch 6.2.3 Hotfixes - January 20
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
Achievements

Character Boost
  • Fixed an issue where Seer Kazal may not appear in the Garrisons of recently boosted characters during a Bonus Event.

Legion Combat Logs
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
UPDATE: Bonus List IDs have been added into the item data, after the enchants. The new format will be...

COMBATANT_INFO,playerGUID,Strength,Agility,Stamina,Intelligence,Dodge,Parry,Block,CritMele e,CritRanged,CritSpell,Speed,Lifesteal,HasteMelee,HasteRanged,HasteSpell,Avoidance,Mastery ,VersatilityDamageDone,VersatilityHealingDone,VersatilityDamageTaken,CurrentSpecID,(Class Talent 1, ...),(PvP Talent 1, ...),[Artifact Trait ID 1, Trait Effective Level 1, ...],[(Equipped Item ID 1,Equipped Item iLvL 1,(Permanent Enchant ID, Temp Enchant ID, On Use Spell Enchant ID),(Bonus List ID 1, ...),(Gem ID 1, Gem iLvL 1, ...)) ...],[Interesting Aura Caster GUID 1, Interesting Aura Spell ID 1, ...]

As usual, we're working on builds of the game that are ahead of what is on Alpha. This change will likely make it into the next Alpha build, but 100% certain. If not, it'll be in the one after that.

FEEDBACK: Vault of the Wardens (Normal)
Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
Please use this thread to post any feedback on the Vault of the Wardens dungeon. When posting, please note your group composition and any relevant information about the nature of your group (e.g. random LFG group, Mythic raider guildmates, etc.). At this stage, a lot of overall combat balance is in flux, but we're still very interested in hearing overall feedback and impressions of the experience and mechanics.

Ghostcrawler Tweets
Ghostcrawler still occasionally talks about WoW. Remember that he no longer works for or speaks for Blizzard.
Originally Posted by MMO-Champion
Which WoW expansion was your favorite to play? To design?
Probably LK. I was relatively new to WoW dev (I worked a little on the end of BC) so I was still in "I can't believe I'm here" mode and I didn't know what was impossible yet so I tried crazy stuff.

As a player, it was also a sweet spot, as I suspect it was for many players. The things that eventually grew tiresome about the game (for me anyway) hadn't yet grown tiresome. Just exploring the world was still fun. My guild was younger with fewer families, so we could be more hardcore and accomplish a lot.

It's interesting to me that both those answers have a lot more to do with my emotional state of mind than say features or story or development environment.



Beyond the Worlds - Episode 5
Another episode of Beyond the Worlds has been released.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Legion - Spec Swapping, Poll, Jan 20 Hotfixes, Blue Posts, Tweets, Beyond the Worlds started by chaud View original post
Comments 205 Comments
  1. Ramzy's Avatar
    why should spec swapping cost gold in the first place?!
  1. Christhammer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramzy View Post
    why should spec swapping cost gold in the first place?!
    I agree. Makes no sense.
  1. lylarise's Avatar
    "Spec swapping costs gold" thing is the most absurd thing I've ever heard for a loong time. Most of the players didn't want the "all specs are available" thing at first because everyone has one or two roles and they're good at those specs. Making it cost sth is just pure BS.
  1. atl4ntis's Avatar
    used to be in vanilla and tbc, not swap ofc cause it wasn't yet implemented but unlearning and relearning a new spec had an increasing cost back in the days
  1. Malfious's Avatar
    If it HAS to cost something, why not just make it cost a tome of clear mind - or whatever the new Legion one will be if any
  1. mojojojo101's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramzy View Post
    why should spec swapping cost gold in the first place?!
    Extremely convenient gold sink.
  1. Sylreick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramzy View Post
    why should spec swapping cost gold in the first place?!
    A couple reasons, first to make specs feel solid and something you choose to stick with, not just another menu like talents have become. Second, because it's been a natural part of the game since its inception.

    There needs to be something in there to keep you playing that spec throughout a raid period, and not get people complaining about needing 3 sets of gear to function in all specs to change between every other fight.

    I'm a fan of the idea to increase the price the more you use the function, start with a free swap then work your way up based on how often you change it. Have like a monthly reset in gold price.
  1. Lutra's Avatar
    Make it cost a Legion variant of Tome of Clear mind.

    Something you can purchase for a small amount of gold, but it can also uncommonly drop from mobs/bosses/garrison-mission-equivalents (also like Tome of the Clear Mind from Draenor Garrison missions) that offset your cost and encourage playing the different facets of the game.
  1. Coconut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Christhammer View Post
    I agree. Makes no sense.
    Doesn't even make sense within the basic conventions of the game.

    You always pay gold to another character, or to an NPC. Gold has never been a currency that can simply disappear from your inventory in a transaction with the UI. Even the game time token is something you buy from the AH. Who is the character paying this gold to when changing his spec? Himself? Is he making a mechanical transaction directly to Blizzard? Paying gold directly for swapping your spec is inherently awkward.
  1. Gilgaladus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post
    A couple reasons, first to make specs feel solid and something you choose to stick with, not just another menu like talents have become. Second, because it's been a natural part of the game since its inception.

    There needs to be something in there to keep you playing that spec throughout a raid period, and not get people complaining about needing 3 sets of gear to function in all specs to change between every other fight.

    I'm a fan of the idea to increase the price the more you use the function, start with a free swap then work your way up based on how often you change it. Have like a monthly reset in gold price.
    I currently swap between all three of my warrior's specs at least 50 times a week. I swap specs for running dungeons, questing, raiding, LFR, pvp, Ashran, battlegrounds, arena, everything.
    If an hour passes and I haven't swapped specs, something is wrong... So yeah, no thanks on gold cost.
    Just let me press a fucking button. And fix it now, I hate having to redo my action bars every time, because i can only have 2 specs on Live.
  1. Melra's Avatar
    Meh, can't buy the tabard. I suppose it is only for that character which makes the change somewhat pointless. Haven't played my Vanilla toon in 6 years.
  1. Sylreick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    Doesn't even make sense within the basic conventions of the game.

    You always pay gold to another character, or to an NPC. Gold has never been a currency that can simply disappear from your inventory in a transaction with the UI. Even the game time token is something you buy from the AH. Who is the character paying this gold to when changing his spec? Himself? Is he making a mechanical transaction directly to Blizzard? Paying gold directly for swapping your spec is inherently awkward.
    You mean like buying items from a vendor?
  1. Coconut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post
    You mean like buying items from a vendor?
    I don't think you read or understood my comment. Slow down and try again.
  1. OndikusMaximus's Avatar
    I dont think respec will cost gold at all. It will be some kind of "special currency" or some.
  1. Archibalde's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post
    A couple reasons, first to make specs feel solid and something you choose to stick with, not just another menu like talents have become.
    That should be done with gear, especially the Artifact, not a gold cost every time you want to switch. If it goes live it will be quite annoying for healers. They're boosting the damaging spells so that we can solo quests, but the simple fact is that it will never be as efficient as a DPS spec. My Holy Paladin has no reasonable AoE, not even with the changes so far. I would never try to solo old content or endgame dailies as that spec when I could have access to a much better toolkit with Retribution. It's ridiculous to have a penalty for being a healer.
  1. Granyala's Avatar
    Just when you thought that they couldn't come up with even more retarded ideas.... the WoW devs surprise you again.
  1. Brewhan's Avatar
    I remember it used to always cost more gold each time you would respec before dual specs came around now 66% + of the results are people wanting it free so basically 10% left of poll players remember vanilla days or encourage that type.
  1. schwarzkopf's Avatar
    Definitely should be some cost to swapping specs.

    I'd give tank/healer some leeway on it though for overall community benefit.

    What that cost should be - maybe like reroll tokens you should have an option of various payment methods.

    e.g. choice of 100g+ (increasing) or <insert current currency>, or a cool down per spec.

    But now you can be all three specs, not having a cost really dilutes the meaning of spec to 'stance' almost.
  1. Sylreick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgaladus View Post
    I currently swap between all three of my warrior's specs at least 50 times a week. I swap specs for running dungeons, questing, raiding, LFR, pvp, Ashran, battlegrounds, arena, everything.
    If an hour passes and I haven't swapped specs, something is wrong... So yeah, no thanks on gold cost.
    Just let me press a fucking button. And fix it now, I hate having to redo my action bars every time, because i can only have 2 specs on Live.
    The introduction of spec swap on the fly isn't meant to allow you access to do everything and be anything freely. It's meant as a QoL improvement from having to go to the trainer every time you want to swap. It has always, and should always cost something to give the specs meaning. Otherwise why not get rid of specs entirely and give all abilities to the class itself and be done with that system?
  1. slackjawsix's Avatar
    Ill pay for my third spec... I will not pay for the two specs I use and commonly switch between at least day that is horse crap

Site Navigation